Hotlap Event in Arcade Mode Time Trial

full

Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) '90

full

Autodromo Nationale Monza No Chicane

:: Open to All GTPlanet Registry Members ::

:: Members are not obligated to take part ::

Overview (How Does This Work?):
  • You must be part of our registry to participate.
  • These are Time Trial Events, we have Online Races here.
  • Set the game up according to the event, car and track details below.
  • Save Your BEST LAP replay before exiting your session.
  • Be sure and run cleanly to the end of the first sector after setting your fast lap. If you exit right away, your time stamp may not show up in your replay.
  • Report your split times in here, so you can compare your pace to other racers, without revealing the full lap time. (Note: this is required if participating)
  • Our leaderboard shows how you stack up during the week, before the deadline.
  • Submit your lap via PM to our Fetchbot, before the event deadline.
  • On deadline day, we will publish the results in our leaderboard and in a thread in this section.
  • Identified replays will be checked by your fellow participants to be sure you meet the event regulations.

Race Details:
  • Mode: Arcade Mode > Time Trial
  • Track: Autodromo Nationale Monza No Chicane
  • Car Type: Garage Car
  • Make: Mazda
  • Model: RX-7 GT-X (FC) '90
  • Max Power HP: 203 (Stock)
  • Weight: 2,756 lbs / 1,250 kg (stock)
Driving Options:
  • Transmission: Auto or Manual
  • Tires: Sports Soft (front and rear)
  • Driving Line, Cones, Markers: Optional
  • Traction Control | ASM | ABS: Optional
  • Brake Balance: Optional
  • Countersteering Assist: Prohibited
  • Tuning: No Tuning Allowed: Power and weight are to be stock.
  • In-Race Multi-Function Display (MFD) Functions: Optional
  • Custom Wheels: Allowed if available
  • Paint and Racing #: Livery editor Allowed if available
Course Settings:
  • Time: Optional

full

Standard Clean OLR Rules (These Apply to ALL Events):
  • The event MUST be run using your registered PSN account.
  • The use of the clutch is strictly prohibited.
  • Use of the Handbrake is Prohibited.
  • No Contact with walls or other objects. Any contact with walls, no matter how minor, will result in a DQ.
  • At Least 2 Tires must be in contact with track at all times (See image below).
    • In situations where contact with the track is not possible because tires are airborne (above the ground), then the run is only legal if at least two tires in-line would have made contact with the track if the car were not airborne.
    • If track contact cannot be 100% determined, then consider it dirty.
  • Rumble/ripple strips are part of the track.
  • No contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible.
  • If you're not 100% sure that your lap is clean, then consider it dirty.
  • No hybrids.
  • No cheating of any kind,these are relaxed races and we are experienced racers, we know what times can be done,and we can read your mind. We will know.
  • Nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules.

full
full

Race Specifics (Rules for This Specific Event):
  • Red, White and Green Rumble Strips and Tarmac are Track Surface. No other surfaces are track.
  • Concrete and tarmac painted green is not track.
  • White lines denote track boundary except where backed by rumble strips

Steward's Comments:
I tried out many older cars, I basically found the lowest powered rear drive car that I thought worked reasonably well here. The SS tires are mainly for braking grip, the lateral grip of this machine is quite good. One thing people don't realize about the RX-7 is it's really an MR. The engine is small and light, and it's fitted behind the front axle, giving the car a perfect 50/50 balance, and it handles with a bit of that MR snap. We were using negative BB to counter that when testing this online.

Saving Replays, Viewing sector times and Submissions:
  • You need to make sure you use the 'Save Best Lap Replay' (ghost replay), not the 'Save Replay' (See pic below).
  • Before saving your replay ensure that you continue running after completing your fast lap until at least the end of first sector. This will ensure you have a complete replay.
  • To view your best lap replay, go to 'My Library' and watch the replay from there using the 'Replays' option.
  • While viewing your Replay, enter the live timing screen to view your sector splits. You will need to do this after your car has passed the sector markers to see it listed.
  • Simply post the splits that are shown in the live timing screen, and our Fetchbot will parse them and add them together for your total sector time.
  • When saving your fastest lap replay please ensure that you watch the replay to the end and that it displays your full lap time. Any replays submitted that do not show the posted lap time will result in a DQ.
  • Remember - When you submit your time you're also declaring that your run is 100% clean. We request replays for the purpose of verifying to all those concerned that the drivers claim is correct, which in turn safeguards the integrity of the driver, and just as importantly, the WRS. The golden rule is to check your replay before submission. If you’re still unsure, check it again, ask for a second opinion and if you’re still undecided, run the lap again.

(Best Lap Replay Save)

full

Thread rules:

The following information cannot be discussed in this thread (they can, however, be discussed on Skype or via other private IM service.):
  • Total Lap Time.
  • Any information which can be used to infer your total lap time.
  • If you choose to Share your Best-Lap Replay via GT Sport before the deadline,your full lap time will be considered to be shared publicly which contravenes our rules. Even if you've only shared with Friends.
The following information can be discussed in this thread :
  • The first 2 sectors: T1 and T2 times.
  • Any settings discussion.

full

Submission:

All submissions must be sent by PM (Subject title: GTP_WRS Week 142 Submission ) to (WRSFetchbot):
  • Please submit your FULL LAP TIME in the following format on a single line:
    X:XX.XXX
    (Example-) 1:10.100
  • You will get an automated response within 15min, letting you know whether your submission was accepted, or if you had an error.
  • For those of you who were used to submitting replays on GT6, you no longer have the ability to export the files.
  • If you have an error, don't panic. Just review the instructions for submission and submit again. If you are having trouble and cannot figure it out, please post your question in the race thread.
  • Users can ask the bot for the current submitted time by sending a message with the Subject: "GTP_WRS Week 142 Get Entry" and any text in the body.
  • Users can delete their submitted time by sending a message with the Subject: "GTP_WRS Week 142 Remove Entry" and any text in the body.
  • If you want to submit multiple times in the week just reply to the conversation with your new time. Fetchy always uses the last submitted time as the final one.
  • The deadline is Monday, August 17th 2020 11:59pm GMT
  • If you are unsure of the deadline try this site.
Why Use GMT?:
GMT is World Time and the basis of every world time zone which sets the time of day and is at the centre of the time zone map. GMT sets current time or official time around the globe. Most time changes are measured by GMT. Although GMT has been replaced by atomic time (UTC) it is still widely regarded as the correct time for every international time zone.

Replay Checking:
  • Division winners and overperformers will be required to submit a replay via the GT Sport Share function for verification AFTER Unofficial Results have been posted.
  • Participants will be expected to check each others' replays for cleanliness, for replays marked in the Results thread as (Replay Verify Required).
  • Video/Youtube/Twitch replays are not accepted as a form of verification.

full

Good luck,
:gtplanet: & The WRS team.

This combo is more difficult than it seems, on the face of it.
The old RX-7 in STD form is a boat, and as such, is difficult to handle.
She takes a gentle hand on the tiller, and handling of the sails, as such deserves a suitable name.......

I hereby dub thee the "Black Pig" :cheers:

Look that one up nerd-megoes.

Laters

Neil

Splits from me

33.097 (happy with this one)
46.480 ( needs work )

Overall ok with these as fastest T3 by a long way so fastest lap by a long way.
Just gotta work on Lesmo 1 a bit, but especially Lesmo 2, as they are intrinsic to a fast lap round here.

Quite enjoying it, and looking forward to the online race
Running stints of 25 laps or so to get a rhythm going.

Neil

Splits from me

33.097 (happy with this one)
46.480 ( needs work )

Overall ok with these as fastest T3 by a long way so fastest lap by a long way.
Just gotta work on Lesmo 1 a bit, but especially Lesmo 2, as they are intrinsic to a fast lap round here.

Quite enjoying it, and looking forward to the online race
Running stints of 25 laps or so to get a rhythm going.

Neil
I think you will find the biggest factor in the second sector is getting a clean exit from the chicane at the start of it.

I use 3rd gear, 2nd over slows the car.

And don't get too greedy on the entry, staying on the brake until you know the car is stable to turn in is important. Get it pointed toward the exit, and hammer down smoothly in 3rd.

You are right that the Lesmos are important, but I have found S2 to be made and lost in that chicane, it can easily be +/- 0.500. The second Lesmo might be worth 0.3 for the best exit, while the first should be quite consistent. It's a bit of a throwaway corner as long as you don't hit the apex wall or run too wide on exit and lose traction.

@EDK
Point of order
On the outside of the track between Lesmo 1 & 2 there is a long red,white,green rumble strip bordered by white lines with green grass-crete.
Is the outer white line/border classed as track border white line, or off-track?

Neil

@EDK
Point of order
On the outside of the track between Lesmo 1 & 2 there is a long red,white,green rumble strip bordered by white lines with green grass-crete.
Is the outer white line/border classed as track border white line, or off-track?

Neil
We have been having a conversation about that.

I will be on console tonight and want to drive the track with full context.

My sense is that based on rules described and what we have used for other events here, it probably IS track.

However, I would like to review and discuss with the admins before making a final ruling.

For now, if you are out there, don't worry about deleting splits, etc.

Fresh splits after deciding my previous was dirty.

now only .25 ish off my target.
But not sure how I'm gonna reach it, as optimum time is only .06 faster than these splits.

Neil

Last edited:
@EDK
Point of order

Neil
Upon review.

MOST of the rumble strips around here have a white stripe on the track side and another behind them off the track. We are considering that outside area to be rumble strip and/or white line, and therefore track. The green, orange, etc. Solid painted areas are NOT track.

The trick with the Parabolica is to brake straight until the car is settled and slow enough to get round the initial sharp entry, but, as the car slows, apply a little throttle to engage the diff whilst still braking. If timed right it stops the snap oversteer which is caused by the diff going from braking mode to acceleration mode, and keeps the car settled.
At least that is what i have found. It feels counter-intuitive to apply throttle while braking, but it works if you get it right.

Plus, due to the shape of the corner, which is a parabolic curve, hence the name, don't worry about running wider than you would normally go. As the car speeds up and starts to push slightly, the corner opens out and actually allows you to run faster around the corner without running outside the of the track. The by-product of this is a faster exit, resulting in a faster run down the main straight on the next lap. I have been hitting 98mph by the end of the rumble strip and changing up there.
I may be not so brave at cutting over rumbles in the chicanes, and cutting corners like some of you guys are, hence slower times etc, but I have spent years and years watching world superbikes and MotoGP bikes etc running round Monza, both on TV and actually there. Plus, if you do the maths on it, a faster object on a parabolic course is as quick (time wise) as a tight course round this corner, but has a faster exit velocity.
Neil

Last edited:
The trick with the Parabolica is to brake straight until the car is settled and slow enough to get round the initial sharp entry, but, as the car slows, apply a little throttle to engage the diff whilst still braking. If timed right it stops the snap oversteer which is caused by the diff going from braking mode to acceleration mode, and keeps the car settled.
At least that is what i have found. It feels counter-intuitive to apply throttle while braking, but it works if you get it right.

Plus, due to the shape of the corner, which is a parabolic curve, hence the name, don't worry about running wider than you would normally go. As the car speeds up and starts to push slightly, the corner opens out and actually allows you to run faster around the corner without running outside the of the track. The by-product of this is a faster exit, resulting in a faster run down the main straight on the next lap. I have been hitting 98mph by the end of the rumble strip and changing up there.
I may be not so brave at cutting over rumbles in the chicanes, and cutting corners like some of you guys are, hence slower times etc, but I have spent years and years watching world superbikes and MotoGP bikes etc running round Monza, both on TV and actually there. Plus, if you do the maths on it, a faster object on a parabolic course is as quick (time wise) as a tight course round this corner, but has a faster exit velocity.
Neil
I think you will find that winding to 98 MPH is actually slowing you down a bit. I suggest shifting closer to 95.

Also, I know I am not cutting the Parbolica in any way. i realize I do not have the current fastest T1 on the board, but I have run similar times on other laps. In the case of this track, I think you will find the main curb abuse at the first chicane, Lesmo 2 exit, and Ascari.

Finally, the key to managing any step out as you describe in this and other cars is to brake early (on time) and to manage the brake release to guide the car behavior. The only times I have trouble with the car stepping out are those when I forget my own advice. If you brake too late or release the brake too quickly, the car will bite back. And you will lose time in the process.

I wasn't referring to cutting over curbs in the Parabolica specifically, that would be extremely difficult as the only rumble strip is right on the entry apex and has solid wall right next to it, I was meaning in the chicanes and stuff earlier in the laps. In general. In any combo.
I know that's where I lose time, every week. Slowing down too much, and not taking enough curb etc.

But hey, I agree that lifting off of the brake slowly helps keep the car stable, putting a little throttle on as you lift off helps stop the diff biting back at you too.
Have tried shifting earlier, say at 95, and yes it is fractionally faster. Used at the end of a good lap, it works, as long as you have no steering on at that point. I usually still have a little steering on at 95 when sweeping out of the corner, by 98 I don't am doing a straight shot for the line.
Different strokes.....

Neil

Last edited:
Reactions: EDK
Back