Formula 1 Heineken Grande Prémio De Portugal 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 231 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
For the third time this season, Formula 1 heads to a circuit it wasn't planning to originally, as Formula 1 makes its first foray into Portugal since 1996. The Autódromo Internacional do Algarve is a bit of a rollercoaster, with lots of elevation change on pretty much every corner. The big debate over "which version of Turn 1 will they use?" is solved, as the fast flick has been chosen instead of the hairpin chicane - much better for driving, but will it work for passing? The circuit making its Formula 1 debut is probably using this as a chance to try and convince backers to make this a permanent fixture on the calendar. With a massive points swing, Mercedes could already wrap up the Constructors Championship at this race is Red Bull have a stinker of a race. We're all excited for the PORTUGUESE GRAND PRIX!
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.653km

Race Distance
306.826 km

Lap Record
1:31.404 (Adam Carroll, A1GP Team Ireland 2009)

I hope the F1 boys will be in the region of 1.20-25s lap times, maybe faster.

Here's an A1GP lap

Or a sim lap.(on a d pad on AC).

Edit:-I've just read that expected lap times are around the 1.13sec mark. :crazy::bowdown:

Last edited:
Surprise surprise no turn 1 chicane, then we run the risk of having more than one overtaking spot.

Only 1 DRS zone this weekend. They could have put on between T4 and T5, they have a super short one at Hungary after all.

Also, Lance Stroll's illness that caused him to miss the Eifel GP ended up with a positive COVID test. He has since tested negative and can race this weekend.
spDBh3BM5ZhBc0jW42FUjPZEC6d2G7LRqSnr2UdP3c4.jpg

Only 1 DRS zone this weekend. They could have put on between T4 and T5, they have a super short one at Hungary after all.

Also, Lance Stroll's illness that caused him to miss the Eifel GP ended up with a positive COVID test. He has since tested negative and can race this weekend.

RP are sticking to the fact that they've taken the FIA-mandated tests at the FIA-mandated times. Still, it doesn't look too clever after they tried to get their other Covid-positive driver into a race by citing arbitrary time limits.

They're in F1 to race and to go for wins... but their approach seems a little cynical to say the least.

Stroll flew home, and then took a test and was found to be positive, thus putting people on the plane at risk themselves. Seems like they got that the wrong way around...

Such a special circuit, I hope it returns next year with Nürburgring, Mugello and Imola.
Add Bathurst and Macao to the list and we would have a perfect calendar.

Last edited:
They'd either be very short races or increeeedibly long ones.
Who cares. Even Monaco can be a drag if it doesn't rain. To be fair Nürburgring wasn't that exciting either. But truth be told, if you appreciate racing at its finest and the drama surrounding the drivers and teams you can legimately have fun watching F1 on a regular basis. Casuals don't give a damn.
I know I would watch Hamilton and Verstappen at Tsukuba and have a great time.
Setting and atmosphere do play a huge role in racing.

Last edited:
I love this track (more than Estoril even) and I'm slightly mad I won't be in Portugal this year to go and watch it live. After 24years of no Portuguese GP this would be my first one live.

I really hope it makes for an unpredictable and fun race to watch with all the blind corners and unusual altitude changes.

Statement expected shortly from RP following the rather annoyed tone of yesterday's (and today's) racing press towards their actions with Perez and Stroll.

The good news for them is that if they're telling the truth about when Stroll was negative and positive (which I think they are) then his positive result could have been false.

Neither Bathurst nor Macau will ever be deemed safe enough for F1. No chance. The only reason anything still races at Macau is the same as Monaco, tradition. It'd never pass as a new track.

Anyway about this weekend, that DRS zone seems massive. I hope overtakes aren't limited to highway passes long before T1.

Statement expected shortly from RP following the rather annoyed tone of yesterday's (and today's) racing press towards their actions with Perez and Stroll.

The good news for them is that if they're telling the truth about when Stroll was negative and positive (which I think they are) then his positive result could have been false.

It bothers me that it seemingly took them 10 days to get their story straight, and that from Masis comments, that the FIA didnt even know. I would hope that the FIA was informed as soon as he tested positive rather than 10 days after.

It bothers me that it seemingly took them 10 days to get their story straight, and that from Masis comments, that the FIA didnt even know. I would hope that the FIA was informed as soon as he tested positive rather than 10 days after.

Lawrence Stroll also tested positive during the Eifel GP weekend. Lance Stroll's symptoms included fatigue, diarrhoea and fever. These are symptoms of Coronavirus as described by the CDC and therefore should be reported to the FIA, but they were not. Nonetheless the FIA say they are satisfied that there has been no breach of the regulations.

It all stinks a bit.

EDIT: I've seen a suggestion that their new name should be "Tracing Point". Good idea.

Last edited:
Racing Point have received a warning from the FIA over their conduct with Stroll's illness. Hulk remains on standby in Portugal.

Last edited:
Had a blast around in project cars 2. My god its fun to drive.plenty of overtake spots so hopefully we will be in for a great race. Obviously not at the front though, Ham-Bot-Ver as usual.

Surprised that didn’t add a DRS zone between turns 4 and 5, to be honest. It’ll be interesting to see how overtaking goes, since they’re using the layout with the faster first corner.

Leclerc is smashing P1 so far, fastest laps are in the 1.18-19s at the moment, dry but coldish.

Tyres being used are the hardest, C1,2 and 3.

Strange, I would've have thought the softer the better to promote pit stops. :confused:

Last edited:
Why haven't F1 fixed the audio for onboards still? The sound lags behind the pictures by about half a second or more. An on-board with Russell earlier was at least 2 seconds behind.

Pirelli probably are concerned about having the tyres being too soft and getting a repeat of Silverstone

Yeah, the Mercs were having trouble with the front lefts even with the hardest compounds.

The result might not be cut and dried until the last lap, which is good.

Why haven't F1 fixed the audio for onboards still? The sound lags behind the pictures by about half a second or more. An on-board with Russell earlier was at least 2 seconds behind.

This has bugged me for years. Always annoys me when F1 post the pole position lap and the sound is out - you can't enjoy it the same. Today's was the worst there's been though!

Back