#4 Interview a GT4 Photomode gallery owner "Interview is up in post 1"

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 28 comments
England
Southampton, UK
Pebb--
Pebb
TVR&FF: "Time for another GTPlanet interview a Photomode Gallery owner, this latest edition is with alexwrc, who is well known in the gallery for his great style and advancing the way people see updates through presentations."

"So Alex do, you have anything to say in terms of Hi or like that before we roll on with the first question"

alexwrc: "yeah"

alexwrc then carries on with "I have to say I'm glad to make this interview in this sweet weekend."

TVR&FF: Right onto the first question, which is from Beerzgood, and it is:

What's your normal process for editing light/color of a shot?

alexwrc: "Well, there are some steps to follow when doing that, because colour affects lighting and vice versa most of the times. When I start to edit a picture, I usually adjust quickly levels and curves/gamma, and then I use the colour balance feature.

Then I start to work on effects with dodge and burn tools but actually I'm using gradient mapping to kill the unreal GT4 look. The final step, when all is technically done, I check the shadows because many times a LCD screen shows things which aren't in mine due the monitor sensibility.

Anyways, lights and colours is something edited by the way depending on what I like to do and what the image is doing every time."

TVR&FF: "Talking about your editing, you must always have a plan or does it take a while to do your process."

alexwrc: "I have a plan technically, following all those steps more or less, but all can change in each picture so I have to adapt it to the situation."

TVR&FF: "But I take it when you have done some pieces you always save the work you have done and then carry on."

alexwrc: "Yeah, I work in a piece and when it is completely finished I start with another. I usually (always mostly) do the piece at once without saving the psd for another day."

TVR&FF: Now for a question from GT40 MKII, and it is:

What is your favourite location to use with photo travel/photodrive?

alexwrc: "The most important for me is the combination of car-scene-idea, so I usually use the locations what is needed. I think all of the sceneries have potential enough, but I have to say I love the Nordschelife a lot since that track is so good modelled and detailed in my opinion. I wish that high length tracks are in the next GT's, I love 20Km+ tracks a lot!"

TVR&FF: Now for the next question, which is from Cod_Father, who must like his fishy foods:

What kind of training do you have with Photoshop and photography?

alexwrc: "Hehe, I discovered the English version of Photoshop 2 years ago more or less, when my English level was very limited. So, you can imagine what I thought the first time I started it because PS is a quite difficult software even the native language. Even I was bought my first PC recently. All what I know at PS, like the most of the important things in my life, are self-learned (Spell?).

I started the postproduction training when joined GTP as an active user, so technically my first update was my 1st attempt too. I have to say I learned a lot watching and analyzing the work posted at GTP, filling those areas that was empty of knowledge and graphic criteria, so a big part of my actual Photoshop skills are thanks to this community really.

About photography, I haven't any training. I'm interested in it, I like to start to photograph the reality soon, but I only used a camera by chance."

TVR&FF: Now here comes for a question from one of your rivals, Bram Turismo:

How did it all start for you? Is it something you discovered thanks to Gran Turismo or have you been working with this for a long time?

alexwrc: "I'm using PS to edit images since I discovered GT4 Photomode, but I'm playing GT because cars are part of me since more than 10 years. So, I guess it's all like a chain reaction, and I was finding the way to merge my automobile passion with my creative interest.

I started to use the Photomode because I liked to explore a different chapter, due to I always drew and designed cars. GT provided me almost realistic images as a personal expression, doing them since my own perspective and making possible "photograph" cars and situations which are impossible in real life."

TVR&FF: "Talking about Photomode you must be looking at other Photomode games on the other consoles, and be thinking, stuff like they can offer some cars or something the GT games cannot offer."

alexwrc: "Yeah I know, last night I was sketching some Ferraris and... I'm in love with them, so probably I'll request a batch of image to someone to fill my gallery of pure beauty and pure racing history"

TVR&FF: Time for the next question from Rayquaza:

What do you pay attention to when taking a shot?

alexwrc: "I start with an idea, but sometimes I won’t have one... however, it's better to have it. I pay attention to the non-technical part and the technical part mostly

The first one means what I feel when watching the photo, what it's (I'm really) trying to say, the "objective" beauty. The second one means all related to composition, lights, colours, definition and all those things what can be enhanced then in Photoshop.

But the most important really are the results, how is the final shot. You can work hours in one picture which is a rubbish (In some or whole part) and make a superb work in 15min. Who knows, this kind of things are not maths, so it's difficult to create a methodical table with simple variables. Overall, we can talk of quality, style, innovation... that's the key."

TVR&FF: Time for another question, which is from NTX1982:

What galleries do you like most on GTPlanet?

alexwrc: "I really like most of them, but I think everyone has something interesting to show, and it doesn't matter if you're better or worse at PS. I try to watch all galleries, from the newbie’s to the gods.

But it is a shame there are a lot of galleries inactive, and I didn't meet them, I could list the next ones (In any order)":

Franz - One God here, what a style!

440 - I remember the black CTR, who is yet another God.

Cod Father - The master of lights.

Moglet - The comp killer, always on the edge

SlipZtrem - Glory of pictures in the past I saw there.

Atlop - Amazing character

TangledWeb - Very interesting stuff actually.

Bram - Updating surprises.

"Also I would like to put out a special mention to Sejtur, Perfect Balance, JMX2222, Danger Orange, and Dick Steel."

TVR&FF: "Erm it seems I have a lot of improving too do to get into your list."

alexwrc: "Your gallery is good but as you can understand, people are also doing great pieces of work."

TVR&FF: Now for the next question, which is from Vince247:

Which car just does it for you, in a way that it drives" and a "photo shoot /shopping way?

alexwrc: "I love Amuses, look and performance. I also love Japan high performance and JDM cars."

"And another bunch of cars are":

Ruf's
Racing cars
Supercars in general.

"Probably I do not love them so much, but I could love Ferraris or very specific race cars. There are a lot of interesting ones, however I usually change between different types depending on the day, mood."

TVR&FF: "But there is not one Ferrari in GT4."

*alexwrc agrees*

TVR&FF: Now for the last main question, which is from a good friend of mine on GTPlanet Franz:

I knew you are pretty good in drawing cars and rendering them, so which artists inspire you the most and why?

alexwrc: "Anyone in special…..I rarely pay attention to artists, because mostly of time I'm working since a designer mind. You know, an artist can do what he likes (Art is subjective), but a designer does the correct (Design is quite objective).

That's the reason I'm not a fan of DeviantArt or similar, so I don't usually look for artist except some crazy guys I found in Internet like car cut outs makers or creative genius of PS/Illus/3D. Honestly I don't remember their names, but I never forget an image. I can say the same of car designers, which I see a lot of stuff there but anyone in special.

So the inspiration comes at night from me. I guess it's not really from me at all, but it's all from things, which I have in my mind. However the best resource always seems to be a good analysis method and very quick sketching, because mostly of times the genial ideas don’t fall from sky like rain."

TVR&FF: "Talking about DeviantArt you must visit GTPlanet member’s galleries on DeviantArt."

alexwrc: "I often visit those galleries, and I can see a great variety of nice works, even awesome links to spent some good time"

Bonus Question Time

TVR&FF: Mac or PC?

alexwrc: "Classic question in your interview, which hope to see more innovations in this one, anyway I never used a Mac, but anything can be better than a PC.

However I would like to change to Mac when I can."

TVR&FF: What Photo Editing program do you use mainly?

alexwrc: "I use Photoshop CS2, but I may change to CS3."

TVR&FF: What’s you’re Favourite type of engine?

alexwrc: "I prefer a natural aspirated engine with high revs. That means technology and material, good engineering."

TVR&FF: What’s you’re Favourite 10 Photomode people?

alexwrc:

LGforce - Great style

Franz - I can say he has an awesome style, amazing skills at any graphic stuff so it's a reference at GTPlanet.

440 Charger - Has amazing skills and I enjoyed a lot of the work in his gallery, but is a shame he is not posting a lot actually.

Cod_Father - He is a light and tone expert, which means I always get amazed watching his updates. And I also have a lot of his photos in my personal collection of GTP pictures too.

Moglet - Moglet is doing a superb work. It's a very special guy at Photomode man! I love his stuff, and at the same time it is like a nightmare when competing against him. But why is it like a nightmare, well he can blow you up with any photo! That's very challenging and that's what I need, so I'm glad to see his work coming!!

Even I think the best new gallery of 2006 award, could easily be won by him.

SlipZtrem - He has amazing stuff, which made me take a look to the history of competitions and I discovered a bunch of top notch pictures. It's admirable as well since, he has really very interesting skills and style of performing in Photomode!

Atlop - Another impressive guy, he also can beat you with any picture, simple or complex, he can do it. I always search for it in the comps, as the previous guys, to see what entered specially.

TangledWeb - Tangled has also a very interesting stuff, I think since he is using tone mapping to improve his work. Some of his last comp entries really caught my eye, because they have a very professional showing to there amazing flavour. The Hachiroku is very noticeable, which I want to see more of, mixed with his personal style.

Bram Turismo - He is a bit off actually, but he improved a lot since he is using PS. The massive blurs and very detailed and brilliant cars are great. He used interesting techniques as well, like in his Monaro at New York, which reflects a big part of his overall improvement.

Sejtur - He has awesome pictures like the popular Audi R8, also I hope to see more work from him to keep his reputation up.

alexwrc then finishes up his big favourite galleries list with, "I'm going to merge Danger Orange and Perfect Balance at this last spot ,because they are more or less active at GTPlanet now. Anyway let me get into some detail, Danger Orange has a real photographic knowledge, which is the key of his success. And Perfect Balance has an awesome gallery, which I was surprised to see, since he has good work, while being quite young to have the type of editing skills he has."

TVR&FF: Favourite 5 all time Car models?

Ouch, that's impossible for me. It's something like unbeliable but I have not a list of the top cars. I enjoy every type of car, they are different in each side you you can't compare the E-Type Desing with a lovely-wildy Civic Ek9 Type R...

alexwrc:

*McLaren F1
*GT40
*E-Type
*Civic Ek9 Type R
*360 Challenge Stradale or Enzo

TVR&FF: When GT5 comes out, will you be either using GT4 or GT5 for Photomode?

alexwrc: "I'm not going to buy a PS3 for many years, because remember I am a student, which means I can't spend a crazy amount of money on black plastic. But for now, I'm going to keep working in GT4.

However the PS2 and GT4 I own really isn't mine really, because I received it from a friend, so I have to be thankful for that."

TVR&FF: Who out of these 2 people would you like to do a Photomode gallery: Ken Kutaragi or Kazunori Yamauchi?

alexwrc: "Kazunori Yamauchi, but the reason I did not pick the other one was, because I didn't know who Ken Kutaragi was, until I read some notice about him being put up on the internet."

TVR&FF: "If you could improve GT4 Photomode, what would you do in the game, and how do you hope GT5 will take the Photomode to the next stage."

alexwrc: "To be honest, the actual Photomode, to be the first Photomode of any Gran Turismo is quite good. But for GT5 all those things from GT4 need to be the same, but they still must be improved in GT5."

TVR&FF: "Ok thank for you the interview alex, do you have anything to say, before I wrap this up with one more thing to ask."

*alexwrc does not have much to say at all and waits for it to finish.*

TVR&FF: "Anyway to fully wrap this up, there is one more thing to ask and that is, if you had some wise words to say to people how they can improve there shots, what would they be in 5 words."

alexwrc: "Free your mind, be valiant."

TVR&FF: "Thank you for the interview alex."

*TVR&FF shakes Alex's hand*

alexwrc: "Thank you"

Cool, I can't wait for it. 👍

Any idea for when it will take place?

EDIT: Forgot the question for alex.

My question is: What's your normal process for editing light/color of a shot?

Cool, I can't wait for it. 👍

Any idea for when it will take place?

EDIT: Forgot the question for alex.

My question is: What's your normal process for editing light/color of a shot?
I cannot comment on the date the interview will be done yet, but it should be early next month.

How did it all start for you? Is it something you discovered thanks to Gran Turismo or have you been working with this for a long time?

Ok just to let everyone know, I will be interviewing alexwrc on the 9th of June, which means it should either be up on the 10th of June or the week of the 11th of June. However I will try my best to get it up on the 9th of June.

I knew you are pretty good in drawing cars and rendering them, so which artists inspire you the most and why?

Yeah, it's like one of those limited promotions, gotta be fast to get one. :lol:

Looking forward for your interview. 👍

TVR&FF, that wasn't the point of what they were asking... Anyway, I think just about everyone around here reads the interviews, and so far they have been good, but that doesn't mean they have to have the same 'rules' everytime.
I read them and like them, and still think there's room for improvement, one thing doesn't cancel the other.

Just clearing that up, nobody's "attacking" you. 👍

TVR&FF, that wasn't the point of what they were asking... Anyway, I think just about everyone around here reads the interviews, and so far they have been good, but that doesn't mean they have to have the same 'rules' everytime.
I read them and like them, and still think there's room for improvement, one thing doesn't cancel the other.

Just clearing that up, nobody's "attacking" you. 👍
I know, I am just trying to stay one step ahead of anyone, who may bring something up. :)

It has always been 8.

Why not extend them though. When I started the Drift Interviews I wanted to keep them within a certain amount, but the people their pretty much wanted an unlimited number of spots. Not saying you have to get rid of a set number of spots, but why not change it a bit, it may make the interviews even more enjoyable than they already are. Maybe up it to about 15 so it's not too crazy.

Just a suggestion.

Do keep up the good work TVR.👍

I think about it, but if I did extend it to 12, it would not happen for a couple of months.

Great interview, very good read from one of the Top Guys around these galleries. Nice surprise to see you mentioning me alex, thanks for that. Glad you like what I come up with. 👍

Awesome interview ... it is quite fun to read
both of you did a fantastic job really 👍

Alex: Nice to know GT4 is your motivator of photoshopping
but it is quite amazing you can pick up all the skills in short period of time
same thing with TW and Bram...
btw thanks for your high praise :)

After reading, I've began to admire your skills even more Alex. I thought you were into photography and drawings your whole life but you blew me away when you told you're using PS for only 2 years :cheers:

Proud to be on those lists has to be said :sly:

Back