4WD vs. FR at GVS

I had just finished fine tuning the settings on my baby, an R32 GT-R. I loved her to death, she's spent about five hours getting her suspension, brakes and LSD tuned. But my brother had an FD3S RZ. I seriously wanted to prove to him that 4WD cars can corner just as well as FRs. My R32 had 430hp, and his car had around the same. We took this to GVS, 5 lap race.

My RB26DETT completely drowned out the exhaust sound of the RZ. I had practiced launching without TCS, and I was confident I'd have to lead off the line. The instant the light flashed green, my 32's ATTESA-ETS system gave me the lead. I was hitting fourth gear as we showed up on the first hairpin. I braked hard and swung to the inside, the RZ right behind me. I slammed the gas to the floor as I passed the apex, our exit speeds 78 and 80 respectively. But this was far from over. We stuck close to each other until the second hairpin, where I aimed the 32 to the apex and did what I practiced: a four wheel drift. I pulled away slightly at the exit, my 4WD saving me. The midsection was my worst enemy: AWDs get murdered on sweepers. I pushed the GT-R to the absolute limits of it's cornering force. My front tires screamed in protest as I approached the tight left hander for the tunnel. I gave th FD another whiff of my tire smoke as I purposely oversteered slightly to achieve an optimum corner speed. I was faster going into the corner, with my strong brakes, but the FD caught right up at the exits. I knew I had to fly out of the turns a lot faster than I was if I was going to win. The second tunnel came into view. I trail-braked the Black 32 to keep grip on the fronts. But I come in too fast. The FD swung inside and swiftly passed me, his exit speed easily 10mph faster than mine. But the low speed chicane played to my 4WD's strength. I pushed into the corner, right on the RX7's tail. We pulled out of the chicane side by side, but it wasn't enough as the FD's shorter gearing and lighter weight, coupled with our equal power allowed it to pull ahead. I fell behind on the right hander before the front straight, but I had the top end.

Lap 2
I stayed right on his tail, teetering on the edge of control. I new I had to drive perfectly or it was over: I had no margin for error. The tires were being constantly pushed to their limit, as they had to or I wouldn't be able to keep up. Lap 2 ended, with my adrenaline flowing, I was planning my attack.

Lap 3
I knew my only weapons were my stronger brakes and AWD. The only places I could deal a death blow was on the hairpins. The first one came up. The slight rise set my bro's FD unstable, so he veered to the outside upon braking. I took the opportunity and dove in at an amzing speed. I was once again on the edge of my tires ability. I took the lead, and pulled away slightly on the second hairpin. He caught up insanely quickly in the mid-section, but the hairpin was at the end. Surprisingly, I didn't gain. He seemed to pick up even more speed. I knew I probably wasn't going to win, but I was NOT going down without a fight: I took pride in the way I had tuned this car. I took my last stand at the chicane, where I had fallen behind. This was my last chance! I slammed the brakes and slowed to 55mph. I flew ahead of him and pulled out of the chicane, but I was a little fast. My GT-R's rear end slid out and smacked the wall. I spun out, barely able to see the FD squeeze by at the last moment. What a stupid mistake. It was right out of Initial D, how I spun out. I took the loss however proudly. At least I knew my GT-R could corner and sprint with the best of the FRs, even the well balanced monster like the FD. We had plenty of rematches, some of which I won (mostly at R11 due to the tight turns). I built an R33 and R34, and raced those too. Write those races up later. Hope you liked it ;)

Well written, even though you lost! I'd like to see some lap times thrown in for comaprison, especially som split times so we can see where each car shines. I haven't seen too many writeups of 2-player battles. Good job, and welcome to GTPlanet!

Latest Posts

Back