50 dead at Orlando club shooting.

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 609 comments
Yeah lets Take away the Law on Murder, only the criminals are the ones that do it so it doesn't apply to everyone else right?

Stupid logic is stupid.

Yeah lets Take away the Law on Murder, only the criminals are the ones that do it so it doesn't apply to everyone else right?

Stupid logic is stupid.

Well... ok. I see how you got here, but let's take a step back. US criminal laws are primarily designed not as deterrents (to prevent crime), but as punishment (to remove individuals who prevent crime, and theoretically rehabilitate them). I think that the main point is that for someone who has decided to kill 50 people (which is a lot of criminal laws to break) you can't claim that this person would have been dissuaded by an additional minor law or two - they've already decided to break a much greater law with a much greater penalty.

I'm not sure this can be called "another one". In this case someone shot up an event for children (teens) that was being hosted at a closed nightclub. The statement I saw suggested that this was not connected with radical Islam.

I never suggested it was connected to radical Islam, just that there was another shooting at a Florida nightclub.

I never suggested it was connected to radical Islam, just that there was another shooting at a Florida nightclub.

It wasn't clear what you meant by "another one". It seems different enough that it doesn't really fit in this thread. The only things related are "nightclub" which it wasn't really be used as when this occurred, "shooting" which doesn't distinguish it from any others, and "Florida" which... well Florida is Florida, it's a strange place.

From what I've read, the nightclub is in a predominantly black neighbourhood, so I can imagine just two reasons for this shooting:
  1. Gangland violence (most likely)
  2. Racism (far less likely, perhaps the shooter was "avenging" cops who've been murdered recently)

DK
From what I've read, the nightclub is in a predominantly black neighbourhood, so I can imagine just two reasons for this shooting:
  1. Gangland violence (most likely)
  2. Racism (far less likely, perhaps the shooter was "avenging" cops who've been murdered recently)

Let's explore our imaginations for a moment:

- Dislike for one or more of the people participating in the social event.
- Dislike for someone running the club
- Dislike for the parents of one or more of the children participating in the social event.
- Rejection by one of the girls in the event, whom the shooter was infatuated with
- A tweet or other statement made by a third party about the club which convinced the shooter that the club was bad
- The shooter was thrown out of the club or not allowed in
- Someone at the club who was not present but who the shooter assumed would be present embarrassed the shooter in some way
- The shooter is actually the owner of a rival club who was losing business to this club
- The club was a front for drug dealings which were infringing on the shooter's turf.
- The shooter had been driven mad by a neon sign on the club which was shining on the shooter's apartment keeping him/her awake at night.
- The shooter decided to end his/her life and wanted to make the news and picked the nearest target he/she could find.

I'm sure there are others.

At least that AK fella isn't in here going on about how bad the nightclubs are.

Regardless, there's been way too much violence in this past week.

The shooter had been driven mad by a neon sign on the club which was shining on the shooter's apartment keeping him/her awake at night.

I don't remember that episode of Seinfeld ending with people getting killed...

1564q51.jpg

Back