600cc Spring Challenge *Pre-season*

• Thread starter Spectre600
  • 54 comments
So I know those of us in the challenge are psyched about getting on the track.. But first we have to warm up.

This can be a thread were you can post pre-season type stuff... what laptimes are you guys getting on the first slated track? Maybe some alliances can be formed and setup info can be swapped and refinied...

I've been racing the 600cc championship to help me practice there all five lap races. The AI is ok here to keep me on toes, Deep Forest my fastest lap is the third without falling is 1:24.659. This also help you deal with tire wear on 5 laps. I will probaly go here to practice on Midfeild as well.

I'm having trouble breaking into 1:19:xx without cutting the chicane.

I just recently changed to pro mode specifically for this competition, so my consistency is very off. I'm just working on learning how to use the brakes, but they seem much better than the standard mode.

I'm using a stock GSX-R RM with just body lean. I haven't had too much time to toy around with any of the settings. With my limited knowledge, i'd probably make detrimental changes to the bike. ;)

With the Triumph on soft tires, I've been averaging 1.20.300 - 1.20.800, quickest was a 1.20.015, TT free run mode, tires staying inside or on the rumble strips.

Tried softening the suspension slightly, not sure if it helped any or not, that is one rough track, the hill crest right before turn one makes things exciting:crazy:

Any sharing of tuning or body form tips would be great, I'm just fumbling around with the trial and error method at the moment.

I have nice little streaks where i bust into the 19's now.. best so far was a very low 19.2.

This is a VERY tricky course to tune.. Its fast, and has some semi smooth sections, but has some very rough undulating parts too. Stick close to stock settings on this one. Without giving away my tuning secrets, you have to make the bike slightly more compliant than default.

That high speed right hander before the back straight is a b*tch.

Spectre600
I have nice little streaks where i bust into the 19's now.. best so far was a very low 19.2.

This is a VERY tricky course to tune.. Its fast, and has some semi smooth sections, but has some very rough undulating parts too. Stick close to stock settings on this one. Without giving away my tuning secrets, you have to make the bike slightly more compliant than default.

That high speed right hander before the back straight is a b*tch.

Gotta land straight and wait for the bike to settle before braking @ turn 1. But dont wait too long.

EDIT: I meant to edit my last post but hit quote by accident. OOPS

With zx-6r avg. betweenn 1'21.649-1'22.197 fastest around 1'20.428.

I never though this course was so bumpy when playing GT4. This is freakin crazy course with a bike.

I'm running about 1'21 with stock tuning M/M with the ZX-6R and Daytona 650. I'm having the same trouble as Snyper, I recently moved to pro so I could compete in these races. Since I'm used to games where pressing forward actually ducks your rider down I really had difficulty finding somewhere to put my rear brake since the "duck button" takes up my rear braking finger, stupid idea and I really hope PD changes that for TT2. I'm glad to see the first race starting in May, that helps my chances of competing. Hopefully I will find the time. If I find I can't, I'll sit out this season so I won't be stealing points from other riders.

Man, you bastards are fast! :)
I played for about 30 minutes on the Gix and I was pulling 1:21.2 easy. Loks like I'm gonna have to bring my A game for this challenge! This ought to be good!

Turn 1 is a bit tricky, i tend to overshoot if I brake too late. Generally, i start braking before I land. If it looks like i'm square on the landing, I apply the rear brake midflight as well. Brake til the turn in, release the rear and finish up. If it looks a bit crooked, start with just the front brake. Apply rear as you sqaure up. I'm trying to fiddle with a deep and early apex to get a bit more speed for the hill.

Which right hander are you talking about Spectre?

SnyperP
Which right hander are you talking about Spectre?

Right after you go through the first tunnel at the top of the hill, there is a downhill section which is very high speed, if you dont set up for the next short section right, youll be leaned over to the right, there is a big bump that is impossible to spot inside the second tunnel, and you can fall just because of the sheer speed. I find the trick is to take a line where you are vertical on that section. Any speed you lose from setting up is regained using full throttle over that section. The next turn is a left hand with heavy on-camber that leads to the back 'kinked' straight.

well, now that im behind, i practiced last night using my GSX-R 600, and pulled one lap of 1.19.110. that was my best, but it was done at 3am. deep forest has to be one of my favorited tracks. it is such a fun track to swing the bike from side to side. corner #1 is tricky, but i have found, if you lay off the throttle for just a split second before cresting, you dont get half as much air, helping you in the end, thats all the secrets im sharing today :)

so whats the best practice lap so far?

my best:

BMWteamPTG: Deep Forest - 1.19.110

My fastest clean time was 1:18:5xx, which i can't seem to replicate. When running agaisnt the ghost, i some something quite odd. I didn't notice it at first, but the left hand set before the hill~> tunnel my left foot peg caught the ground and literally sling shotted me around the corner. Right now i'm running consistent 1:20.xx down to 1:19.3xx

Wow, a 1:17 is blazing. I definitely couldn't that without cutting a few turns.

SnyperP
My fastest clean time was 1:18:5xx, which i can't seem to replicate. When running agaisnt the ghost, i some something quite odd. I didn't notice it at first, but the left hand set before the hill~> tunnel my left foot peg caught the ground and literally sling shotted me around the corner. Right now i'm running consistent 1:20.xx down to 1:19.3xx

Wow, a 1:17 is blazing. I definitely couldn't that without cutting a few turns.
I ran over the concrete patch on the inside of T4, but that's the closest I came to cutting a corner.

I've been specifically trying to avoid running on that concrete. I wasn't sure if it was considered off limits or not. Is anyone else using this strip or avoiding it? It's the T4, the left hand turn before the right into the small tunnel.

SnyperP
I've been specifically trying to avoid running on that concrete. I wasn't sure if it was considered off limits or not. Is anyone else using this strip or avoiding it? It's the T4, the left hand turn before the right into the small tunnel.
I think in one of the license tests they had their suggested line running over the concrete.

yea, they have their line running over the concrete. its not considered off the track. if you have failure on its considered the track

well i pulled off a 1.18.381

well i can closely replicate my 1.18.3xx but i havent beat it yet...i can consistently run low 1.19's and maybe a high 1.18...but im still dropping my bike alot.

anyone else having trouble with dropping your bike?

BMWteamPTG
well i can closely replicate my 1.18.3xx but i havent beat it yet...i can consistently run low 1.19's and maybe a high 1.18...but im still dropping my bike alot.

anyone else having trouble with dropping your bike?
Not really, the bike seems to stay upright for the most part.

Duplicating the 1:17s is giving me problems. I'm consistantly ~0.6sec behind in the first split and can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Turn 1 and 3 are giving me some problems. I still can't figure out the fastest route out of turn 1. It seems braking deep and squaring off early seems to give me the best speed through and out. Turn 3, I either come in too hot and hit the dirt or I come in too sharp and hit the bump near the apex.

DR would you mind posting some section times or even a replay. I'd love to see your lines.

SnyperP
Turn 1 and 3 are giving me some problems. I still can't figure out the fastest route out of turn 1. It seems braking deep and squaring off early seems to give me the best speed through and out. Turn 3, I either come in too hot and hit the dirt or I come in too sharp and hit the bump near the apex.

DR would you mind posting some section times or even a replay. I'd love to see your lines.
I'm not really sure about T1. Going in deep and squaring it off to get a drive onto the straight seems to be working.

id like to add that in the games eyes anything but dirt and grass is legal. for instance, in the challenges you wont fail if you miss the 130r at suzuka and use the pavement on the outside of the track. but if you touch the sand trap then itll fail you.

I had considered the paved run off's in Deep Forest and Midfield as off limits since they used to be dirt. Kind of makes turn 4 pointless if we can just make a bee line to the first tunnel.

Not sure if we are using the games version of a clean lap or a more difficult one.

I normally don't run failure conditions on, but i decided to turn it on for instances as this. This way, we let the game decide what is considered fair road. Otherwise, every week we'll be posting about what's legitamite and which paths arent.

SnyperP
I normally don't run failure conditions on, but i decided to turn it on for instances as this. This way, we let the game decide what is considered fair road. Otherwise, every week we'll be posting about what's legitamite and which paths arent.

i agree with that. i use the pavement sparingly but its just my line. if GT4 has them paved, then the track "changed" and the pavement should be legal. also, if failure conditions dont say its out of bounds, then i think we should consider he same.

im against running failure condictions for two reasons:

a: is it really that bad to lose an entire race because on the last lap/last corner you barelly go over the white lines and both tyres tocuh the grass or the ai doesnt pay attention/alter their lines? (correct me if i missunderstand something here)

b: with FC on, both wheels are glued to the ground. while you can spin the tyres, but you cant lift the rear and crash and burn.

Latest Posts

Back