60GB PS3 to be discontinued in UK when stocks sell out, but...

• Thread starter Tommi
  • 7 comments

Tommi

Mäkinen
Premium
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
GTP_Tommi2000
Thought you might like to know if you was planning on getting a 60GB one like me:tdown:

Yahoo! technology news
Following Sony's official announcement that price of the 60GB version of the PS3 will be dropped to £349, and a 40GB model introduced at £299, Pocket-lint spoke to Nick Sharples, director of corporate communications for Sony in Europe, to find out more.

Nick Sharples informed us that once current stock of the 60GB model sells out, only the new 40GB entry-level version will be available to purchase in the UK.

The reason that this may come as a shock is not just because of the smaller memory capacity or slimmed down feature set, but because the 40GB version will not offer any backwards compatibility with PS2 games.

"We are looking forwards, not back," Nick Sharples told Pocket-lint. "It was clear when Sony first launched the PS3 in the UK that backwards compatibility as a feature was an issue," he continued, "It's now becoming less and less important".

Presumably Sony's logic is that anyone who cared that deeply for such features would have already purchased the console, and this new 40GB model is aimed at new gamers "going forward" with 65 titles claimed to be on the shelves in time Christmas.

We asked Nick Sharples when he thought the stocks of the 60GB PS3 would run out in the UK, and although he was unwilling to give an exact estimate, he thought that current stocks in the UK should hold out for 2 to 3 months.

"Anyone who wants to buy a 60GB PS3 for Christmas is not going to have a problem", he stated.

One industry insider that we spoke to thought this could be uber-clever marketing from Sony to persuade consumers, not only to stump up for the 60GB model in the run up to Christmas, but for another reason too:
BUT:

"In America they are dropping the 60GB PS3 in favour of the 80GB version. Sony does not want to have multiple models in manufacture. This suggests they are spring cleaning their SKUs and will introduce the same 80GB model in Europe next year".

They are going to replace the 60gb. Even ignoring BC, Sony is not going to remove all of the media features that the 60gb has over the 40gb without selling a successor. This is just so Sony can introduce the 80gb model to Europe.

So just let me get this right, because sony is trying to make this as complicated as possible:
There is a 40GB coming out in a few days, and will sell in Europe including England and ireland for around €430.
Thats great news, I think, it might have just saved me 200 euro, or cost me 430, because i may not have bought they expensive 60GB.

I think i'm going to buy the 60gb starter pack for Christmas, rather than waiting for the new controllers.

I'm not interested in the 40GB version, because i still want to play ps2 games. I have limited space in my room, so i'd rather not have both the ps2 and 3 in my desk.

And the 80GB version is probably going to cost more again.
So probably going to buy the starter pack when it's sold for €500

edit: you can buy a 120GB sata 5400rpm for €90, so you're probably better of with the 60gb version, instead of waiting for the 80gb version. Or buy an external one with 3,5" hard disk, that's even cheaper

An now it is guaranteed: Sony will not replace the 60gb model, allowing European sales to tank harder.
Following the previous announcement that the £349 60GB PS3 bundle that includes two first-party titles is only going to be available for a limited time, UK gamers had hoped Sony would be bringing the 80GB model, already out in the US, to our shores. However, in a statement Sony Computer Entertainment Europe said that "as the 60GB stock is depleted the £299 40GB sku will be the only version available going forward".
Gamers considering whether to invest in a PS3 this Christmas will at least for now have two versions of the console to choose from - the £349 60GB model and the £299.99 40GB model.
Linky.

Having defied all expectation over their stupidity, Sony still continues to give Europeans the shaft with the hope that they won't notice.

The 60gb version it is then!!!
Now i have to be careful with spending money, so that i have the amount of money to buy it at the end of the year.

Hmm...bull**** 40Gig with no compatibility...or an extra £50 for 20Gig and backwards compatibility...60gigs please. At least the value pack the 60Gb will be sold in will have 2 games...that can be kept or (being first party games) probably sold

Seems like the 60GB version will be continued to be sold in the uk:
uk.playstation.com
Sony Computer Entertainment UK (SCEUK) today announced details of two new PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) packs that will be launched on 10th October 2007. The existing PS3 Starter Pack will be replaced by a 60GB value pack at a price of £349. Additionally, a new 40GB entry level PS3 model will be introduced at £299.

The existing Starter Pack will be replaced by a new Value Pack featuring a fully functioning 60GB PS3 with extensive backwards compatibility, a SIXAXIS wireless controller and two first party titles which will be offered at a price of £349

Isn't this 'value pack' the same as the existing 'starter pack'?

oh, and the belgium playstation site says a different story.
There is no mention of a value pack and the starter pack is not going to be produced any more.

So if i understand it right the 60gb version will be available for the uk market, but not for the belgian market any more? (after they sell all the starter packs over here)

edit: the french, dutch and german official news report all back up the belgian site and say that the 60gb version is not going to be produced any more.

Back