7 Gears?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 1' started by Lamrock, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Lamrock

Lamrock

Where you adjust the Gear Ratios, there is a slider for a 7th gear. But I never found a car with 7 gears. I know GT3, which also has a 7th slider has no 7 gear cars, but what about GT1?

And if so, which car?

2. Jalpa

Jalpa

If I remember correctly, the Dodge Viper got a 7-Speed transmission when you bought the Full Racing Gearbox option for it.

3. Sakiale

Sakiale (Banned)

Er, it did? Well I know that in GT1 or 2 there was a castrol Supra with 8 gears.

4. Lamrock

Lamrock

Whoa! 8 gears? I wonder which one you are talking about. I'll have to go check that out!

5. Sakiale

Sakiale (Banned)

I remember, Jalpa is right. But the Supra I know was 8 gears in GT2, not sure of GT1.

6. Grayman222

Grayman222

I think one of the supras had 7, but it's been quite a few years.

7. HYBRIDLVR

HYBRIDLVR

Yea, The Supra has 7 Gears, No car in the game has "8" Gears, I put the Supra Transmission in 90% of my GT1 Cars, When that tranny is tuned right, It really assists in stopping the car quite well.

8. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

I'll reiterate...no car in gT1, 2, or 3 ever had 8 gears.
    In gT1, the Viper winds up with a 7-speed if you give it a close, super-close, or racing tranny. Why? Beats me...Vipers have 6 gears max in real-life...even the racing versions. There may be some other cars in GT1 with 7 gears, but i don't know for sure.

In GT2, the only car that has a 7-gear transmission is the Subaru Pleo--a lowly kei car. As HYBRIDLVR knows, you can shark the Pleo's tranny into other cars.

In GT3, there are 7 slots so i assume a 7-speed gearbox is possible, but so far i haven't driven any cars in this game that have more than 6.

9. HYBRIDLVR

HYBRIDLVR

Correct PB! The only way to get a actual 7speed using a GT3 car is to import the car into GT Concept and ad a 7speed using MK's Program, It is not possbile to drive a GT3 car in GT3 with a 7 Speed.

10. Sakiale

Sakiale (Banned)

But GT2 DOES have that supra with 7 gears. I thought it was 8 but I am sure its more than 6.

11. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

I've never heard of a 7-speed Supra, sorry. Now...i haven't driven every single Supra in GT2, but i have driven every generation of Supra (the '84, the MA70, the 3rd gen cars from '96 thru '99) the only ones i'm not sure of are the high-powered prizes. Haven't driven any of those, but i'm sure plenty of others who post here have. I definately woulda remembered if somebody mentioned a 7-speed Supra!

That's freaky about the GT3 Concept import there, HYBRID. I"m not so much of an expert on GT3 yet.

12. Sakiale

Sakiale (Banned)

Funnily enough, it WAS a prize supra. The newest generation.

13. TS

TS

Some cars in GT1, 2 & 3 had 7-Speeds with Semi-Racing trannys.

14. HYBRIDLVR

HYBRIDLVR

It's the Brown/Black Castrol Supra, I believe it's a LM Car.

15. sucahyo

sucahyo

It count 8 if we include reverse gear too = 7 forward + 1 reverse.

16. TS

TS

9 if you think neutral is a gear.

17. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Well looks like the party is here in gT1 2 NIYTE!!! :crazy: :dunce: woo hoo

Very funny Sucahyo...and basically you're right! A 7 speed car really has 8 if you include reverse. :tup:

HYBRID: so you're saying the Pleo isn't the only 7-speed in GT2? How come people talk about the Pleo so much and never the Supra? That's odd.

18. Sakiale

Sakiale (Banned)

HYBRIDLVR's got it. You win it from some tournament race, but i havent had gt2 for so long :( that i forgot.

Ive never heard of the Pleo though.

Edit. Ah, i see why. I never wouldve bought anything that crappy besides a Mini or a Subaru 360.

19. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Come on..the Pleo's not crappy. Dull to look at, yes. Uninspiring to drive when stock, yes...but you can do magical things with it from the STi aftermarket :)

My only question is: why does it have 7 gears? You can barely use 4 of them when you actually race the thing (yes i have raced Pleos, i even won the Trail Moutain Enduro up against the Lotus 111S). What advantage does a real-life daily driver gain from a car with a 7-speed tranny when it only has 63 horses? That's something to ponder.

20. sucahyo

sucahyo

It has no power at low rpm so it has to use as much gear as possible to compensate. Or maybe it's a subaru version of CVT :lol:.

21. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

That's my point. You only wind up using a fraction of the Pleo's potential unless you've got a racing transmission. The stock gearbox is too tall even when the power is at max...you'll never need those top gears during an actual race. So if you have some guy driving this box around daily in Japan, and it hardly ever tops 100 kilometer per hour, what's the point of having 7th gear? 6th gear? even 5th gear? Don't tell me it's good for fuel economy...we're talking about a kei car here, not a Corvette.

22. sucahyo

sucahyo

23. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

We're just learning all kinds of new things at GT Planet tonite aren't we? Dang!

24. HYBRIDLVR

HYBRIDLVR

Yes, There's more than one 7 Speed in GT2, Folks don't talk about it because Most of there cars just sit in the garage untuned and they dont really check out the gears in the tranny, The Castrol Supra when you first win it, The gears are so spreaded out that you can't get it to shift into 7th gear, Probalbly why they don't know that it's there, Maybe?

25. Sakiale

Sakiale (Banned)

But HYBRID, when I got it I test trackked it and it went into 7th and I remember because I was like... ah its gonna stop at xx speed. Wait.. wtf! 7th gear? This must be a glitch! But no! YAY A CAR WITH MORE THAN 6 GEARS!!!!

with no tuning at all.

26. HYBRIDLVR

HYBRIDLVR

I must of won a lemon then, You got a good one! That's why I made it 4Wheel Drive and added another 1000HP:-)

27. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

That's the thing about the Viper in gT1--7th gear is useless unless you get a racing tranny. Even with a super-close gearbox...7th is so tall the Viper winds up losing speed if you try to use it.

28. Sakiale

Sakiale (Banned)

Huh?
    Anyway the Supra was still gaining speed in 7th.

Now that I remember I think I remember a 7speed viper... my viper had full upgrades but my memory card got wiped... I still have the game though so I can try it when I get a viper/.

29. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

According to my memory, and my information, the GTO LM (Special Model) in GT1 also had seven gears.

And, according to my information, in GT1 the Viper GTS-R (prize), and both Castrol Supra GT (prize and special model) also came with 7 gears.

There presumably are also those other cars you mention which got seven gears when the transmission was upgraded. My available information doesn't indicate that.

30. HYBRIDLVR

HYBRIDLVR

I forgot about that Yellow or Strange looking Blue colored GTO LM Car, It indeed had a 7 speed and I always kept one in my garage!