8MB Memory card corrupted by GT4

• Thread starter chickmag
  • 140 comments
Not sure what happened to my memory card. I have a GT4 game save on it (along with other game saves), and it works fine. However, I wanted to reset from scratch as I just got the DFP. Went to System Browser to delete my GT4 data, only to find out that the PS2 says the card has corrupted data on it, and it locks up the PS2. I can't delete any files, always locks up when reading in the game saves. The card wasn't corrupted before playing GT4, and thats all that has been played since I got GT4. And no, I didn't pull out the card or shut down the PS2 while the little red memory card symbol was flashing on the screen.

So my question, is there any way to reformat the memory card? Is there a way, using the PS2, to reformat the card? I sure can't find it!!!

Same thing just happened to me. Ive been playing the game since the day it came out and have around 19% completion. Everything has been working fine, then tonight I turn on my PS2 and it says "game data corrupted". This is really tough to take- it took me tons of work to get to the point Im at. Ive passed all license tests and won all beginner races, and all professional races except for the last one. Now I have to start from scratch ????!!!!!! I cant believe this its crazy. 👎 👎

Same happened to me. It's not the moemory cards fault, I'm pretty sure its a bug on the disk

Whoa.

I'm not going to play again until I get some sort of device to back up my saves on PC. I do not want to go through golding the coffee breaks again...

1 memory card dedicated to GT4.

Copy the GT4 main save to another memory card using System Browser every few days.

A shame we have to baby sit memory cards because of GT4 breaking the rules (video and memory cards). I love GT4, but it shouldn't be a risky proposition to play it.

feldon23
because of GT4 breaking the rules (video and memory cards)

how do you mean? i'd be interested to see some specs on what the playstation 2 is capable of and what gt4 taxes it at, i reckon it would be near 100% of the system's capacity, loading anything takes ages so there's obviously not alot of RAM to play around with

there does seem to be an awful lot of corruptions happening with this game, i hope they realise this and release another version (which we shouldn't have to pay for)

Most of the complaints of corrupt data that I have seen on other boards the individuals were using some kind of cheat device (GS or AR). So my question is are you using one, and if not I may need to back up some data quick... :scared:

chickmag
So my question, is there any way to reformat the memory card? Is there a way, using the PS2, to reformat the card? I sure can't find it!!!

The only way I know of is using the Action Replay Max Memory manager. This provides a tool to reformat the memory card.

code_kev
Another problem. Has PD never heard of bug testing?

Relax, its the real driving simulator not the non corrupting memory card simulator. I mean what do you want!?!? Everything!!??!

On a more serious note, thats a bummer. Guess I'd better back mine up again just incase :boggled:

If you have a sharkport you can save all the data on your memory card. You can just wipe out the corrupt data and everything else will be fine. I had to do this twice for GT3 and I was able to save the card by only deleting the corrupt data. 👍 But I could only delete it with the Sharkport.

So it's best to have 1 memory card ONLY for GT4 and backup the save once in a while to another memory card?
I don't have money to buy another memory card, the videogame things in this country are *****ng expensive!!

dkstz
So it's best to have 1 memory card ONLY for GT4 and backup the save once in a while to another memory card?
I don't have money to buy another memory card, the videogame things in this country are *****ng expensive!!
To answer your question. Yes. I back my save up to another memory card and to my PC with the sharkport.

Over 91% complete when mine went corrupt. :grumpy: :crazy: :grumpy:

I did learn a few tips in the "trial" run though. This time I was able to get 30% complete with only purchasing 1 car and slightly modifying some others. I could have completed more, but I decided to go after certain cars.

DO NOT TURN OFF THE PLAYSTATION DURING A GAMESAVE.

I killed mine too this morning. DOH!

5.9Million Credits - GONE
79 out of 80 License Tests - GONE
M3GTR, Minolta 88CV, Merc EVO II, GT40, Polo - GONE

I guess I can look at it like this...... Just think how much better driver I'll be next time around.

OK, so I'm not crazy that GT4 may have corrupted my card. To answer some previous questions, no I'm not using Gameshark(or any other cheat device). I have plain PS2, no mod chips, and using a Sony memory card.

So it looks like my reformat options are: Sharkport or Action Replay Max. I'll look into both of those, but it really sucks that the PS2 has such a lame Memory Card OS.

Thanks for your help.

chickmag
OK, so I'm not crazy that GT4 may have corrupted my card. To answer some previous questions, no I'm not using Gameshark(or any other cheat device). I have plain PS2, no mod chips, and using a Sony memory card.

So it looks like my reformat options are: Sharkport or Action Replay Max. I'll look into both of those, but it really sucks that the PS2 has such a lame Memory Card OS.

Thanks for your help.

No thank you for the response on the cheat device issue. I have asked that question before and got nothing. Hopefully what ever happened that corrupted your data does not happen again.

Just remember how old that ps2 hardware and software is...

hmmm thats weird...been playin GT4 since the first day it came out, no corrupt save just yet. hope it never happens to me. are yall sure yall didnt turn off your ps2 when it was autosaving?

I came across the same problem last year with GT4P. Bought myself a second memory card, to backup every saved game (only GT4 in this case). :) 👍

in GT 3 i had 93% of the game complete, 70% licences Gold, i do not use any cheat device and i did not shut down while writing to memory, one day i woke up turn my PS2 to finish onother final long race, and my save was corrupted.
Q: is there a way to connect my memory card to a PC so i can back up data? or do i just have to buy onother mem card?

mashoutposse
Whoa.

I'm not going to play again until I get some sort of device to back up my saves on PC. I do not want to go through golding the coffee breaks again...
use an Action Replay Max they are a cheat device but they have tonns of extras like memory card back up and compression

When I first got my game I played a bit but not organized... I also deleted the card memory of GT4's data off of my memory card (also have other game saves from other games...) and I started from scratch... everything is fine on my end... as for gameshark, it usually just messes up the gameplay not the memory card hardware itself.... so I doubt its a game modifier...

I had the same problem , i was already at day 279 and all licenses and some cool cars. Then i used Max Drive to put my gt 4 photos to my pc and it corrupted my memory card, wich destroyed al my game saves :(

Now i had to restart all over again, i just got all license again :ill: tough challenge :)

Latest Posts

Back