YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
LLN.com
General Motors intends to build a production version of its Chevrolet Volt electric concept car in 2010, Vice Chairman Bob Lutz told reports at the Geneva Motor Show. "Competitors who write this off as a PR exercise are going to be brutally surprised," Lutz said.

"We have set an internal target of production in 2010. Whether we can make that or not, this is still kind of an unpredictable program for us," Lutz said, according to Reuters.

A fully functional Volt prototype should be ready for testing by the end of this year, Lutz said. He said GM would open much of its development process to the media.

Lutz said GM aims to make the Volt run for 40 miles on pure electric power, meaning typical commuters could make it through a day without any gasoline, and charge their vehicle for six hours at night from a home outlet.

The concept boasts a maximum range with a full tank of gas and charged batteries of 640 miles. The Volt's gas motor never drives the wheels directly, but instead provides power to the electric motors.

Lutz said the production car will resemble the concept, but some changes will obviously be necessary. "I know we cannot make the production car look like the concept," he said. "The whole shape of the car is going to have to be a little more traditional."

Lutz was candid about the difficulties of the project. "We're sort of outside our comfort zone," he said. "I would say there is still a 10 percent chance this will fail."

1chevroletvoltconceptcl7.jpg

Cool. My guess is that it will replace the Cobalt in some way, and should make for an interesting addition to the GM portfolio. For once, the other automakers may be a bit jealous of GM...

Why do all modern cars - particularly concept cars - really wish they were machinegun emplacements instead? What in the hell ever happened to actually wanting to see out of the car you're driving?

I know what'll happen here. The concept car will be developed, then developed further, and then you'll get an Opel/Vauxhall castoff.

I don't think this will be able to replace the Cobalt. Hybrids tend to be over $20k. I know the cheapest hybrid available in the US is the Escape Hybrid.

PTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHT.

XP

oh, wow, replace a fairly fun car with an emotionless riding machine.

(notice I said, Riding...you can't drive that.)

Why do all modern cars - particularly concept cars - really wish they were machinegun emplacements instead? What in the hell ever happened to actually wanting to see out of the car you're driving?

I can't help but to wonder that same thing. :yuck:

I could see this a success in California, and maybe a few other cities across the US. Seattle and Portland may see a good share of these. I'm not going to predict their success in Europe, because I know little of their electric car market.

The car? Slow. Boring. Pointless for anything but saving the environment. Please oh please don't let this replace the Cobalt. it is just too wierd.

What? You're actually interested in what's going on outside the car? Where do you live? And how can I arrange to drive near people like you?

More seriously, I think it's an attempt to create that low-slung, sports car look. An attempt. But the result looks more like it's got its trousers pulled up too high. Photographs well, though, doesn't it?

GO AWAY ELECTRIC CAR!!!

I heart gas. Petrol. Whatever.

Most definitely. Anything with batteries is a non-answer, but I've said that enough. I'm going off to build my own hydrogen-combustion-powered supercar. It's about time someone did it.

In more ways than one....

Styling wise, I suppose I should clarify, that we're probably looking at the Cobalt successor. That would mean that were would be a petrol version, which wouldn't be too bad, but the big story would be that the Volt should be good to go by the close of the decade.

...Philly is probably right in which it will sell well in Liberal-oriented cities like LA, Portland, Seattle, Boston, etc...

It is a neat idea that will get a lot of attention, but probably won't be well liked by most "average" people.

^ Care to elaborate?

...BTW: I'm happy we got the Sky over that...

The Honda Insight was sad because it was forgotten about by everybody. It died sad and alone.

But it got 80mpg, if you coasted a lot.

harrytuttle
In more ways than one....

Hey! That'll get 55mpg. If you coast a lot.

Did either of you see the story out of Seattle about the Prius owner intentionally ramming a gas station? Swear to god.

I can see the Volt become a success here up north. Cars here are heavily taxed, and eco-friendly (hybrid, electric and E85) cars are given tax-breaks from normal cars, such as reduced/no road-toll, access to bus/taxi-lanes, reduced/no yearly road-tax and reduced/no eco-hostility taxes.

Seeing as how taxes is the majority of the costs of a car here, a car of this type will undoubtly become popular with all those expenses removed. The Prius and Civic hybrid are both models thriving with reduced taxes, electric cars are bought before they become available.

Wherever the market is in a situation like this, there's a market for eco-fiendly cars. That's where the Volt comes to it's right element.

Wherever the market is in a situation like this, there's a market for eco-fiendly cars. That's where the Volt comes to it's right element.

I completely agree. We're going to get dozens of celebrities trading in their Prius' for these, and yelling at us average Americans for being so stupid for not buying these cars. People would probably pick-up on the idea in larger cities, particularly those that are generally left-leaning politically speaking.

If they can build them for a reasonable price, say $25,000 or so, I could see this becoming a very popular car not only in America, but around the world. When was the last time we (Americans) built a car that could actually have a chance in Europe or Asia? Well, the Corvette, but even then that isn't well-accepted...

This is going to be a big deal for GM, no questions there. What will be important is whether or not sneaky Toyota will swoop in and steal the idea, or if someone will jump on the bandwagon and beat GM to it...

When was the last time we (Americans) built a car that could actually have a chance in Europe or Asia?

in_ford_focus_02.jpg

I can hear you now:

'Doug, why would you choose such a horrible photo to make this inane point that could be easily struck down?'

EDIT: are those Greek plates?

Yes the European designed, European-spec Focus is indeed a shining example of America's triumph over the European and Asian car markets. :dopey:

I refer you simply to the most simple bit of simplicity ever: the first sentences of Wikipedia's Ford page:

"Ford Motor Company is an American multinational corporation and the world's third largest automaker based on vehicle sales in 2005. Based in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit, the automaker was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated in 1903."

American corporation.
Founded in Dearborn.
A suburb of Detroit.
Henry Ford.

Don't mind the fact that the Focuses sold in the UK were engineered in Europe, designed in Europe, manufactured in Europe, and driven in Europe - they're American cars!

Did either of you see the story out of Seattle about the Prius owner intentionally ramming a gas station? Swear to god.

It be crazy here yo.

Seriously, Seattle drivers are some of the most intense I have seen. A lot of us drive like high schoolers.

Those women drivers; you never know what they will do. Either it was an angry woman and the pump price made her go over the top or it was a guy looking for anything to bash into because he hated the car.

Doug, I understand what you do mean with the Focus, and I would for the most part agree... Only on a technicality that it is technically "built" by an American company.

...But I'm talking about a car that would be for the most part designed, tested, and built in Detroit. We haven't had cars with a presence like that since we killed the CJ Jeeps, maybe even before that...

As anyone would guess, most Europeans probably wouldn't touch most of our American/Canadian market vehicles...

"B9 Tribeca? Gorgeous compared to me."
Bah. The B9 Tribeca walks this in the (lack of) Beauty Contest. The Citroen C5 is more generic than it is ugly. That grill also fits the Citroen's better than, say, the Audi grill fits any of the Audi's.
Besides, you are ignoring the Peugoet 407.
Fun fact: The Citroen C3 Pluriel has the coolest, most useless idea ever used on a car. Ever.

Fun fact: The Citroen C3 Pluriel has the coolest, most useless idea ever used on a car. Ever.

You mean the stupid roof rails?

The Peugeot 1007 actually has the best idea, it was just executed so poorly that sometimes I cry myself to sleep over it.

How many of us over here have pleaded for the Euro focus? I know I like Euro-market cars way better than what we have here.:yuck:

peugeot_1007_29_04_06.jpg

^ I highly doubt that would ever fly here in America...

...Not all Citroens are bad though...

citroen_c4.jpg

I quite fancy the C4...

Back