Mazda sticks with rotary power

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 877 comments
England
Southampton, UK
Pebb--
Pebb
Source: AutoCar

Mazda has confirmed it’s working on an all-new rotary engine for 2010.

This second-generation Renesis rotary, with more power and less thirst than today’s unit (as found in the RX-8), is the star act in a new round of Mazda powertrain technologies unveiled last week at a business conference in Tokyo.

As it reaffirms its commitment to rotary technology, Mazda will also begin leasing a Premacy (Japan’s version of the Mazda 5) with a hydrogen rotary hybrid in 2008 and launch a full production model using this Mazda-designed system by 2010.

Further ahead, Mazda also has an all-new hydrogen rotary engine with power equivalent to a 3.0-litre petrol engine and a range of some 250 miles under development.

From 2010, Mazda will start on the next wave of conventional petrol engines with 20 per cent improved economy and 15-25 per cent better performance on the cards.

New clean diesels, capable of meeting super-tough Euro6 and American regs, are also on the menu, along with new platforms and lighter vehicle architecture, all geared to lowering CO2 emissions.

Over the coming four years, Mazda will revamp the bulk of its range. Besides the new Mazda 2, Mazda also has a replacement for the Mazda 6 coming, expected to appear at October’s Tokyo show, using Mondeo underpinnings .

A new, still-secret core model will also be on the block by the plan’s end. Mazda won’t do a low-cost, A-segment city car for the forseeable future, so expect this to be a Mazda 3-sized C-segment family car.

Yay! Rotaries are pretty cool. It would be sad to see then go. It really sets the RX car apart from the rest, and it looks like that will continue. I don't know what they produce compared to a piston motor, but at least it has soul. Rotaries in more models? That would be awesome. Imagine a rotary-powered 3!

I hope the RENESIS II brings back the plentiful torque of the pre-RENESIS rotaries.

Well this is good news. The other day I was thinking about how the different car manufactures keep ending the production of the "cool cars that I will never be able to own" and was thinking that it would suck if Mazda stopped making the rotary and why Mazda can bring over the equivalent of the Europe version of the Focus as the Mazda3? and Ford says that they cant bring it over because "The European version is simply to expensive to bring over" and "it couldn't be done without raising the car's price to beyond what US consumers would be willing to pay"

Man sometimes I can't understand the reasoning of what car manufacturers do. I mean is Ford afraid that if they did bring the Europe spec Focus over to the us that it would compete with the Mustang? :boggled:

Anyway its good to hear that Mazda will me keeping the rotary around and Mazda if you are listening slap a twin turbo set up on that mother :D

plentiful WHAT? :odd: :lol: it's a NA rotary, not a diesel..
What, you don't think the 13B-DEI's 138lb.ft of torque at 3500RPM was reasonable?

Although the RENESIS was significantly more powerful, it sacrificed almost all of its guts. The old 13Bs were rather torquey for their size and rev-happiness.

Good. The Rotary, love it or hate it, is what makes Mazda Mazda, and I'm glad to see Ford hasn't clamped down in it.
If only more companies would work on it, though, to fix its foibles.

The foibles are pretty much built into the design of the rotary engine and you can't really fix them. I suppose that each problem could lessened though. The lack of torque could be fixed with a turbocharger which could also improve the fuel economy since you could make could power levels with a lighter amount of porting.

A little update to this story from Autocar. They say Mazda are not updating the RX8 engine to Euro 5 emissions as it would just fail the Euro 6 regulations when they come in.
An all new engine is being made, with 1600cc, with aluminium in parts and physically smaller than the 1304cc RX8 engine. Fuel Economy and torque will be increased. The latest innovation being used is said to be laser beam ignition, Mazda have said they have had to get rid of spark plug ignition as they are too big taking up too much space inside the combustion chamber spoiling emissions efficiency, they are closing the gap in the block and will likely use laser beams of about 9mm diameter and 11mm depth to precisely control ignition which will significantly improve fuel consumption, and power. They will be able to safely run the engine leaner than before.

Mazda's Four Part Plan:

1.) Make RENESIS II Revenge of the Rotary, and turbo that 🤬.

2.) Put in sports car and name it RX-7.

3.) ????

4.) Profit.

I just had to smile when I read "laser-beams". I am interested to see the next generation rotary, but I would be even MORE interested if they put it in something other than an RX.

Rotary is messed up engineering, so much development went into the engine, and still it has a vortex in the gastank. Maybe with diesel it finally a falls into place. :lol:

Rotary is messed up engineering, so much development went into the engine, and still it has a vortex in the gastank. Maybe with diesel it finally a falls into place. :lol:

Apex seals, how do they work? 💡

Apex seals, how do they work? 💡

I know, I know, but with all the money Mazda already poured into the rotary, they just need to find something to work around it.

Anything to save this wicked engine.

I knew I was right, there is already an Wankel Diesel. Made by Rolls Royce. 1951.

Last edited:
Where do you buy hydrogen fuel these days? Wasn't hydrogen supposed to be the fuel source for charging a battery and driving the vehicle with electric motors?

^That promise, like many others, were quickly forgotten when gas prices started coming down again. That and when the economy started tanking is my guess.

I just had to smile when I read "laser-beams". I am interested to see the next generation rotary, but I would be even MORE interested if they put it in something other than an RX.

That got me thinking of a rotary powered 3 or mx5.

Mazda doesn't make a car that anyone would put up with its foibles other than the RX-series.

Yeah. Though Mazda will try, and I applaud them trying, the rotary engine is just not for the masses. It is an interesting piece of engineering that is best utilized in a low-production, oddball sporty type car. That's what the RX cars are.

Yeah. Though Mazda will try, and I applaud them trying, the rotary engine is just not for the masses. It is an interesting piece of engineering that is best utilized in a low-production, oddball sporty type car. That's what the RX cars are.

I agree.

Just think though. Take the current MX-5 Miata and put in the rotary and sell it as the MX-5 Rotary or RX-5 Miata. They could make 500 units and sell them as specialty cars.

I can dream can't I?

That got me thinking of a rotary powered 3 or mx5.

If they finally get a rotary that actually works competitively with the standard piston engine, I think it would be pretty perfect in these cars.

Unfortunately, it looks like rotaries will still be nothing more than a hobby for quite a while.

Aww, that's too bad. :(

Maybe he should retire so the Rotary can retire as well. There are too many high powered forced induction'd I4's and naturally aspirated V6's that are better than what ever Rotary Mazda can pull out of their bums.

It is a novelty, leave it for prototypes and not road cars Mazda. 👍

But isn't the rotary engine very light?

So they can make a high performance car like a GT-R but something along the lines of the RX-7 look with good power.

Back