Not open for further replies.
Morocco
Morocco
appie17
toyotabannerar3.jpg
hondabannermj2ug3.jpg
nissanbannercl9ve1.jpg

What is SuperGT

SUPER GT consists of 2 categories, the GT500 and the GT300. As of this series cars of the two will run together in the same race. The participants in the GT500 category will compete for three titles, the driver title, the team title and the machine title. The GT300 participants will compete for two titles, the rider title and the team title.

Its one of the fastest GT cars on the planet and the races are 300km, 500km or 1000km (only on Suzuka)

Its really an exciting series to watch and there now ATM at the 7 th round of the season

Race 1: Suzuka 300km race

No.38 ZENT CERUMO SC430 Wins in an Incredible Last Lap Drama!
ARTA NSX Crippled with Just One Lap to Go

The Suzuka GT 300km race, Round 1 of the 2007 AUTOBACS SUPER GT, was held at the Suzuka Circuit in Mie Pref. on March 18. The GT500 class was won in a come-from-behind victory by the 5th-place qualifier, the No. 38 ZENT CERUMO SC430 driven by Yuji Tachikawa and Toranosuke Takagi. With this, Yuji Tachikawa extended his own record of most wins by an individual driver to nine.
In the GT300 class, victory went to the No. 13 ENDLESS ADVAN SENZAIKAKUMEI Z driven by Masami Kageyama and Tomonobu Fujii in a pole-to-checkered win.

Race 2: Okayama 300km race
Fate decided at the first turn
ARTA NSX makes a brilliant comeback from the disaster of round one!
Defending champion Housan TOM'S SC430 beaten by a penalty

The OKAYAMA GT 300km RACE, Round 2 of the 2007 AUTOBACS SUPER GT, was held at the Okayama International Circuit (one lap 3.703 km x 82 laps) in Okayama Pref. on April 8. The GT500 class winners were the 2nd fastest qualifiers, the ARTA NSX driven by Daisuke Ito and Ralph Firman, who ran virtually the whole race without ever giving up the lead.
In the GT300class victory was claimed by the No.101 TOY STORY Racing apr MR-S driven by Kazuya Oshima and Hiroaki Ishiura.

Race 3: Fuji 500km race

With steady racing through a 500 km full of upsets
XANAVI NISMO Z scores come-from-behind win!
Two NISMO Z machines overcome qualifying troubles to grab amazing 1-2 finish

The FUJI GT 500KM RACE, Round 3 of the 2007 AUTOBACS SUPER GT series, took place at Fuji Speedway (Shizuoka Pref.) on May 4. In the GT500 class, the winners were the No. 23 XANAVI NISMO Z (Satoshi Motoyama/Richard Lyons) , who had only managed to qualify 11th. The GT300 class victory went to the No. 43 ARTA Garaiya (Morio Nitta/Shinichi Takagi).

Race 4: Sepang 300 km race

Perfect scenario for a first GT victory
WOODONE ADVAN Clarion Z scores dramatic come-from-behind first win!
Tragedy strikes TAKATA DOME NSX once again!

The SUPER GT INTERNATIONAL SERIES MALAYSIA race, Round 4 of the 2007 AUTOBACS SUPER GT, took place at the Sepang International Circuit (lap = 5.542 km) in Malaysia on June 24. In the GT500 class, the WOODONE ADVAN Clarion Z driven by the pair of Joao Paulo Lima De Oliveira and Seiji Ara worked its way up from a 14th position start to grad an amazing come-from-behind victory as the other team struggled with tire management problems. For KONDO RACING, this was their first victory in their second year of GT competition. Meanwhile, in the GT300class, the No.101 apr MR-S (Kazuya Oshima / Hiroaki Ishiura) won their second round of the season.

Race 5: Sugo 300 km race

An awesome battle! Three aces fight three-wide!
With undeniable speed, ARTA NSX claims its second win of the season!
2nd-place podium finish ends TAKATADOME NSX nightmare streak

The SUGO GT 300 km Race, Round 5 of the 2007 AUTOBACS SUPER GT, took place at SPORTS-LAND SUGO in Miyagi Pref. on July 29. In the GT500 class, victory went to the second-place qualifier, ARTA NSX (Daisuke Ito and Ralph Firman). In the GT300 class, WedsSport Celica ( Akira Iida and Yuhi Sekiguchi) emerged the winner.

Race 6: Suzuka 1000 km race

Houzan TOM'S SC430 emerges victorious in a 1000 km race of upsets
ARTA NSX misses its chance for consecutive wins

The INTERNATIONAL Pokka 1000 km race, round 6 of the 2007 AUTOBACS SUPER GT, took place at the Suzuka Circuit in Mie Pref. on Aug. 19. In the GT500 class the winner was the No. 1 houzan TOM'S SC430 (Juichi Wakisaka/Andre Lotterer/Oliver Jarvis). The winner in the GT300 class was the No. 2 Privée KENZO Asset Shiden (Hiroki Kato/ Kazuho Takahashi/ Hiroki Yoshimoto

Some vids about SuperGT

Also a Promotion movie:

Are they really the fastest GT cars on the planet? How do they prove that? In terms of horsepower they are well down on their international rivals. For instance, GT500 cars range around we'll say 450-550 (I don't really know) the point is they are restricted to approximately 500 bhp. A Maserati MC12 produces well in excess of 600bhp (650 maybe?) compare that to a Honda NSX which produces (we'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say) 550bhp. I'm not familiar with tire sizes, suspension upgrades, chassis upgrades but from what I hear these things corner like Formula 1 cars (which GT1 spec cars don't quite do AFAIK), so I'd be interested to see (if at all) how much quicker a Super GT car is.

m.piedgros

Thats actually a good question. I already knew that FIA GT cars were faster. But if you look at the price range of let's say a Nissan 350Z and a Maserati, then thre is quite a gap.

They mentioned it a couple of times when i saw a coverage of it and i thought it was so thats why i posted it. I will edit my post then to one of the fastest cars;)

Are they really the fastest GT cars on the planet? How do they prove that? In terms of horsepower they are well down on their international rivals. For instance, GT500 cars range around we'll say 450-550 (I don't really know) the point is they are restricted to approximately 500 bhp. A Maserati MC12 produces well in excess of 600bhp (650 maybe?) compare that to a Honda NSX which produces (we'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say) 550bhp. I'm not familiar with tire sizes, suspension upgrades, chassis upgrades but from what I hear these things corner like Formula 1 cars (which GT1 spec cars don't quite do AFAIK), so I'd be interested to see (if at all) how much quicker a Super GT car is.

m.piedgros

Well, a Maserati MC12 did a SuperGT test session and it couldn't compete with the GT500 cars at all.

Here we go, just found this on Wikipedia.
In recent years however, rule changes in both GT500 and FIA GT1 (aimed at eventually allowing both classes to compete with each other in the future) have brought the cars closer to each other, although GT500 cars still have a notable advantage in terms of aerodynamics - an FIA GT1 spec Maserati MC12 entered (and later withdrawn) by Team Goh was losing at least 1 second in the corners during (2006) pre-season testing at the Suzuka Circuit. Some traditional sports-car fans spurn these cars as being outside the limits of 'acceptable' modifications.

Too bad they couldn't make SPEED useful and show these races rather than those sorry ass garbage shows like Pinks and Unique Whips... :rolleyes:

DWA
Too bad they couldn't make SPEED useful and show these races rather than those sorry ass garbage shows like Pinks and Unique Whips... :rolleyes:

If you recieve MotorsTV, then you could watch it there too.

Thats actually a good question. I already knew that FIA GT cars were faster. But if you look at the price range of let's say a Nissan 350Z and a Maserati, then thre is quite a gap.

I doubt that a commercially available Nissan 350Z and the version used in Super GT racing will actually share any components. I suspect a Super GT 350Z would cost as much to buy and run as an FIA Maserati MC12.

I'm assuming that Masi was in GT500 spec? That's not GT1 spec, and I'm very surprised the JAF or GT Federation or whoever the sanctioning body of the Super GT is allowed a car that wasn't a Nissan, Honda, or Toyota compete in GT 500. That oughta be the first time since the McLaren F1 has a non-Japan car been allowed to compete.

I doubt the GT 500 Masi had very much to do with the GT1 Masi anyway!

m.piedgros

I'm assuming that Masi was in GT500 spec? That's not GT1 spec, and I'm very surprised the JAF or GT Federation or whoever the sanctioning body of the Super GT is allowed a car that wasn't a Nissan, Honda, or Toyota compete in GT 500. That oughta be the first time since the McLaren F1 has a non-Japan car been allowed to compete.

That Wiki quote states that it was a FiA GT1 spec MC12. GT1 regulations are not as free as the GT500 regulations so its not suprising that a strangled MC12 couldn't compete with the regulars.

Let's not lose our minds poopooing the series now. I've watched rounds two and three and they do provide good quality racing. Even if it is more like closed top Formula cars.

m.piedgros

I've tried watching Super GT on Motors TV (like Speed TV) and not found it to be all that interesting, although to be fair the guy who provides commentary is quite dull.

You've really got to class Super GT as a series which is nearer DTM then it is to Sportscar/GT racing.

So is that Wiki article true? Are they really planning on eventually having the GT500 class compete with or in the GT1 class? I really hope so. Sure would add some much needed variety and competition to the GT1 class.

@ The Cracker: I couldn't agree more about the Motors Commentary. I find all Motors commentary to be quite poor, jumbling with words, names, classes, facts etc. I think in America we're quite lucky to have what we have. Though the variety isn't there in terms of what is on TV, the quality is really quite good. (Nobody funks with Jesus - I like it a lot!)

@ thetspecial: It would also add some much needed variety and competition to the GT 500 class.

m.piedgros

So is that Wiki article true? Are they really planning on eventually having the GT500 class compete with or in the GT1 class? I really hope so. Sure would add some much needed variety and competition to the GT1 class.
:lol:
Posted thinking you all were talking about ALMS and now I see it's FIA. :lol: :dunce:

I'm just amazed there wasn't already a SuperGT thread. :eek:

I imagine it has to do with the search engine or the name change.
I'd guess a JGTC thread is in this forum somewhere.
For that matter, I would hope people on a GT board would know a great deal about the subject since we have all been exposed to the series for a long time now.

That said, I'll further the discussion of the the topic and ask this...

Do you all have any loyalty to any of the teams or manufacturers?
Personally, I'm a fan of almost all the teams.
The only teams I don't like seeing in the events are teams running with cars like the dodge viper or the McLaren F1. I feel like those cars deserve racing series more suited for their original specs. When racing a Viper or a F1 I bet they have to seriously handicap the car in one way or another and that just doesn't sit well with me.
I'd rather see them sit out of the series than take serious handicaps and mis-represent the car they are driving.
(because we all know that stock to stock, vipers and F1s are in a different league from Supras, Skylines, and NSXs) (note I said stock to stock ;) )

There is something to be said about running International rules for GT cars. Though the variety from Speed World Challenge, to Super GT, to FIA GT, and what not is kind of fun I'd rather see GT1, GT2, GT3, and GT4 rules be taken in Internationally.

GT1 and GT2 would have the exact same rules in Super GT, ALMS, LMS, FIA GT, Int'l GT Open, FFSA GT etc. etc.

GT3 there would be various National cups as well as the Grand-Am GT class and Speed World Challenge GT and FIA GT3 Europe would act as "all-star" races for the best in their Nations.

GT4 could run in Europe as it is slated to and Grand-Am could adopt the same rules as GT4 for their GS category so cars can travel all around the world and have a place to race. Also would allow manufacturers like Porsche to produce cars from the factory that are able to compete across the board without having to force teams to pay for various series specific upgrades on, for example their Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car.

Admittedly that does have its down-sides, for instance the interest from teams like LG Motorsports and such in Speed World Challenge would probably dwindle because it would be harder for them to run their parts on their race cars, which to me is the biggest draw of SWCGT.

m.piedgros

I imagine it has to do with the search engine or the name change.
I'd guess a JGTC thread is in this forum somewhere.
For that matter, I would hope people on a GT board would know a great deal about the subject since we have all been exposed to the series for a long time now.

That said, I'll further the discussion of the the topic and ask this...

Do you all have any loyalty to any of the teams or manufacturers?
Personally, I'm a fan of almost all the teams.
The only teams I don't like seeing in the events are teams running with cars like the dodge viper or the McLaren F1. I feel like those cars deserve racing series more suited for their original specs. When racing a Viper or a F1 I bet they have to seriously handicap the car in one way or another and that just doesn't sit well with me.
I'd rather see them sit out of the series than take serious handicaps and mis-represent the car they are driving.
(because we all know that stock to stock, vipers and F1s are in a different league from Supras, Skylines, and NSXs) (note I said stock to stock ;) )

I'm a Honda fan:D. Too bad it didn't went well in the last seasons. I do know that i saw 2 Lamborghini's in the GT300 class. Those cars must have mega restrictors:dunce:

An NSX won the championship last year if I'm not mistaken, and this year they've put on some good performances. As far as the restrictions to the Murci Me's, yeah mega restictors indeed. The classes are both strange. GT 300 have 1x Ford GT, 1x Lambo Gallardo, 2x Lambo Murci Me's, and various GT3 R Porsches that all produce well in excess of 450bhp even in the Gallardo's GT3 trim.

m.piedgros

It would be really great to one day see the ALMS cars, FIA cars, and Super GT cars competing against each other at Le Mans!

On topic though, unfortunately the only way I see any Super GT races is if someone posts it on Youtube.

As for brand loyalty, GO NISSAN!!! I love the Z's, not the skylines, just the beautiful Z's!

An NSX won the championship last year if I'm not mistaken, and this year they've put on some good performances. As far as the restrictions to the Murci Me's, yeah mega restictors indeed. The classes are both strange. GT 300 have 1x Ford GT, 1x Lambo Gallardo, 2x Lambo Murci Me's, and various GT3 R Porsches that all produce well in excess of 450bhp even in the Gallardo's GT3 trim.

m.piedgros

Nissan won the teams championship in 2005 and Toyota(Lexus) won in 2006

:)

I doubt that a commercially available Nissan 350Z and the version used in Super GT racing will actually share any components. I suspect a Super GT 350Z would cost as much to buy and run as an FIA Maserati MC12.
most of the GT500 cars are silhouette racers, they usunally share no components with the road car, they merely adopt similarities looks wise.

m.piedgros
Ofcourse the drivers, the teas setting up the cars ect will all be different, but I'd assume that the Maserati racing in the GT500 would have had bigger restrictors fitted, to lower the power down to around the same level as the competition. With that in mind along with the fact that cars like the Nissan Z GT500, SC430 GT500 and NSX GT500 cars are al silhouettes built as GT500 spec cars from the ground up and it's perfectly understandable why they would be faster. Put a GT1 spec MC12 against a GT500 spec Nissan Z silhouette and you've probably got a good race on your hands if it's a tight track.

You've really got to class Super GT as a series which is nearer DTM then it is to Sportscar/GT racing.
It's more like DTM than FIA GT and ALMS, DTM's are also silhouette racers, unlike FIA GT cars that are based on the actual road cars, they are not.

So a silhouette car is build from the ground? Learned something new today. Thanks Dave:D

+rep:tup:

Yeah, I guess I phrased that one. An NSX carried the drivers title winner(s) to their title last year. And no doubt they're running good this year.

m.piedgros

Sorry for the big bump and i hope that i can be more up to date with the thread. sorry again:tup:

It would be really great to one day see the ALMS cars, FIA cars, and Super GT cars competing against each other at Le Mans!

This would be really cool but unlikely. There was talk last year or the year before that the FIA GTs and Super GTs could race together at some of the far eastern race circuits. But that they would have to workout if they need to equalise the classes or not.

I don't know how you guys missed this, but its worth sharing. Fans, I present to you,

The Super GT Spec GT-R!
nissangtr01.jpg

Story Here

Since the story was dated on Halloween, I guess Nissan gave their supporters a real treat, eh?:dopey:

It's good there is a thread dedicated to this awesome motorsport. Unfortunately not even Foxtel (Pay-TV) will buy you footage of the Super GT (Option Auto or Best Motoring are probably the greatest bet). Nevertheless, the R35 GT-R making a debut for the next seasons certainly looks ready to take on the might, and I have no doubt it will give Nissan yet another win. 👍

I don't know how you guys missed this, but its worth sharing. Fans, I present to you, The Super GT Spec GT-R!
I dought anyone missed it. It's been in the Auto news section in various threads for some time.

Does look mean though! Front looks a little 350z ish......... oh well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back