A few newbish questions

• Thread starter Black Bird
  • 22 comments
What improves handling, Stiffer suspensions or softer suspensions? And will lowering the car improve handling? What set ups are good for handling and what other set ups are good for speed also?

There's lots that can improve handling, but it all depends on the car you're driving. I find that other people's settings can help if you have absolutely no clue as to how to get your car ready for racing, but as you get more experienced it's a good idea to find what YOU prefer. That's what suspension, brake, and limited-slip settings are all about: getting the car to do what you want WHEN you want.

In general...yes, lowering your car helps keep it stable, but it also makes some cars extremely nervous and hard-to-control. Whenever i drive at Rome for example, i tend to have my ground clearance anywhere from 120 to 135 mm depending on the car i'm in. This helps it drive over grids without "hopping".

Whether a car has a soft or stiff suspension is a bit of a preference. In general, stiffer springs and dampers will make your car respond faster to steering, but the trade-off is (again) you'll wind up with an extremely nervous car, especially at bumpier tracks. A softer suspesion will keep your tires on the road more often, helping with traction, but will also make your steering input feel vague at times.

But like i said, it's in what you're trying to accomplish. Did you have a particular car / track in mind?

Oh god, not another one of these. Did Black Bird actually READ my advice? Will he return to comment? I swear i'm gonna turn into one of those crones who shouts "USE THE SEARch!!" instead of dispensing info.

Oh god, not another one of these. Did Black Bird actually READ my advice? Will he return to comment? I swear i'm gonna turn into one of those crones who shouts "USE THE SEARch!!" instead of dispensing info.
Were you expecting praise and adulation? or maybe just a simple "thank you"?

As blackbird noted above, he did utilize the info you provided.

Were you expecting praise and adulation? or maybe just a simple "thank you"?

As blackbird noted above, he did utilize the info you provided.

Oh yeah, i was expecting tons of praise and adulation, you got that right. Confetti. Some beer. 👎

No, a simple "thank you" would suffice. Just some feedback to let us know if we actually helped. Does that make sense? And Blackbird did respond (true) but notice that my last post here and his were over 3 weeks apart. Alot of people would simply say "USE THE SEARCH" which can be tedious. I'm providing first-hand information, so when i get nothing in return, it makes me think, what's the point of even responding?

But then, i like responding. I like coming here and having a good discussion. That's all. But maybe in the future i'll just be another Use The Search clone.

Well, maybe I wouldn't have put it as "rude", but I'm with you on this. I wouldn't even expect a "thanks", but at least some note that the help somebody provided actually has lead the person somewhere. It's not that hard, is it?

If you ask someone for directions in a foreign city, and he tells you how to get there, you don't just turn around and go, do you?

EDIT: It's this "I'm sitting in front of the computer, reading some text. Why would I need to say 'thank you'?". What people are forgetting is that they are actually "talking" to other human beings. The fact that it's not face to face doesn't mean that you don't need to say "thanks!" if you were helped.

Oh yeah, i was expecting tons of praise and adulation, you got that right. Confetti. Some beer. 👎

No, a "simple thank" you would suffice. Just some feedback to let us know if we actually helped. Does that make sense? And Blackbird did respond (true) but notice that my last post here and his were over 3 weeks apart. Alot of people would simply say "USE THE SEARCH" which can be tedious. I'm providing first-hand information, so when i get nothing in return, it makes me think, what's the point of even responding?

But then, i like responding. I like coming here and having a good discussion. That's all. But maybe in the future i'll just be another Use The Search clone.
This is actually a very interesting point. I'm with you on providing the information, and yes, a thank you would have been nice. But then again, there are many more people that peruse the site without even posting. They likely gained info and knowledge, but never even posted. Again, it'd be nice for someone to register just to post a note saying "This really helped me." but we'll likely never see that.

In addition, we have to figure in the "right here, right now" generation response of "spoon feed me what I need to know." Do they even feel the need to respond?

How do you think I feel? I've banned nearly 130 people from this forum. Many, many reasons. I'm on here more to reprimand people, than I am to read. Frustrating in so many ways. Disappointing in so many more.

The best way to improve this forum is more people like you. Those that provide good, accurate information at a very regular interval. I've extended a thank you to you, and hope you recognize that your contributions are indeed appreciated here.

The best way to improve this forum is more people like you. Those that provide good, accurate information at a very regular interval. I've extended a thank you to you, and hope you recognize that your contributions are indeed appreciated here.
Please tell me this is not a thank you to PB, He's going to start bossing us around now for sure!-----------------------)

No, a simple "thank you" would suffice. Just some feedback to let us know if we actually helped. Does that make sense? And Blackbird did respond (true) but notice that my last post here and his were over 3 weeks apart. Alot of people would simply say "USE THE SEARCH" which can be tedious. I'm providing first-hand information, so when i get nothing in return, it makes me think, what's the point of even responding?

Alright then, thanks. I'm just used to going onto strict forums. Even a simple thanks is considered spam on some other places i go.:scared:

Nah this is GTPlanet... It might as well stand for

Genial Topic-discussion Planet.

We're pretty friendly, unless your PS or just plain annoying, and so far, you seem to be neither. Just someone searching for some info on their favorite game. Hell, I'll admit, only reason I came on here was to get some drift settings cause my friend (who happens to be registered here as well) got into drifting, so I googled Gran Turismo Drifting, and got directed here.

But then, after a few days of looking for settings I stumbled upon people who know a lot about cars, and drifting, and racing, and other stuff. Which triggered my inner gearhead. Now, some of us might say something that comes off as rude, but just remember: We were all new to GTPlanet once too, and we all got the same thing. Consider yourself "one of the dudes". ;)

/end topic hijack lol

Alright then, thanks. I'm just used to going onto strict forums. Even a simple thanks is considered spam on some other places i go.:scared:

Okay, let's start over. 3 weeks ago, i finished my post with a question. Are you having a problem with a particular car at a particular track? Or was your original question not so specfic, just a general curiosity about cars in Gran Turismo?

You'd be surprised, sometimes when you ask a question around here, it promotes plenty of discussion on-topic or off, although GT3 has been pretty slow lately....

Okay, let's start over. 3 weeks ago, i finished my post with a question. Are you having a problem with a particular car at a particular track? Or was your original question not so specfic, just a general curiosity about cars in Gran Turismo?

You'd be surprised, sometimes when you ask a question around here, it promotes plenty of discussion on-topic or off, although GT3 has been pretty slow lately....

No i'm just being none specific and just asking for the effects on car settings overall.

Well! BB probably has what he wants now, but for any other n00bs looking for something more specific, how about this:

In general put the rear suspension settings to 3/4 the way up, and the front to 1/4 the way up. This assists in transferring weight to the front tires in decelleration and turning, thereby aiding in the retention of grip.

A couple caveats: I'm not talking about camber or toe angle. Your brakes should not be cranked all the way up. And finally, on traditional drifters (old-sk00l Mazda RX-7's, Trueno Sprinters, and lookalikes), doing the above will destroy the factory settings, which are at least as good as the above method. Those cars look too stiff in the front (to a n00b like me), but they're not! They're made to turn.

Edit: Oh, and since we're talking real basic, real n00b: Crank your ride height all the way up to start with. Maybe put the front only 3/4 the way up. You sacrifice downforce or something, but you gain in the ability to go over small obstacles as well as gaining travel distance for your car which is very valuable when transferring weight to the front as the above will do.

Edit: Oh, and since we're talking real basic, real n00b: Crank your ride height all the way up to start with. Maybe put the front only 3/4 the way up. You sacrifice downforce or something, but you gain in the ability to go over small obstacles as well as gaining travel distance for your car which is very valuable when transferring weight to the front as the above will do.

I agree. I like to start with maximum ride-height rather than minimum, this way you get a feel for any flaws your car might have. Lowering a car all the way from the get-go creates more problems than it solves unless you're at the Test Track. But hey, to each their own..

Hope it's ok to dig up a 4 year old thread (I did check the AUP)...

In general...yes, lowering your car helps keep it stable, but it also makes some cars extremely nervous and hard-to-control. Whenever i drive at Rome for example, i tend to have my ground clearance anywhere from 120 to 135 mm depending on the car i'm in. This helps it drive over grids without "hopping".

Whether a car has a soft or stiff suspension is a bit of a preference. In general, stiffer springs and dampers will make your car respond faster to steering, but the trade-off is (again) you'll wind up with an extremely nervous car, especially at bumpier tracks. A softer suspesion will keep your tires on the road more often, helping with traction, but will also make your steering input feel vague at times.

Can you really feel the difference between ride height? I'll admit I'm coming back from GT4 so it could take my thumbs a while to adjust. But as I was testing the Merc CLK DTM thingo around Apricot Hill, I couldn't feel any difference between min and max ride height.

In fact, I couldn't much difference between spring rates either. Maybe it was a tiny bit more skittish at high speed when it was stiff, but even the softest rates felt too stiff over the bumps. And I couldn't see any body roll in the replay.

Hope this post doesn't come across as argumentative , I'm just after some tips of what to look out for please. :cheers:

different setups go with different cars, rally cars needs soft suspension and high ride hight but on track/racecars does the suspension have to be lowered and stiffend

Back