A small review of GT Sport after getting all cars

• Thread starter Predatore
  • 60 comments
Argentina
Argentina
This is a review from the point of view of a casual and just a bit competitive driver (Drive rank: B, Sportmanship Rank: S).

I pre-ordered the game, and I played almost every day enough miles to get the daily gift car (789 days logged on; 58560 miles driven). During the first 2 or 3 months, I used to sell the cars I bought if they became repeated after getting them with the daily gift car. Then I decided to never sell any car, because that's a waste of credits and time.

A few days ago I finally bought the last car to complete the collection. Now I have 1100 cars. 268 were bought with credits and milage points, and 832 cars from daily car gifts, mission rewards and pre-order cars. From a credits point of view, the 268 cars I bough cost $264,313,510 (but I spent $285,416,580 because I bought more cars and sold some of them, losing $21,103,070 in the process). The 832 gift cars cost $293,965,828. (Yes, I've made a spreadsheet with every car cost, and these are accurate numbers). From a time spent point of view, I don't remember how much time I spent before the "Nostalgic 1979 Race 2" mission was added to the game (probably 100 hours); but after that race was added in an update, I played every day 2 times (enough to miles to get the gift car and $480,000 in clean races). Usually it takes 6:47 minutes to complete that 2 laps La Sarthe race, so with loading times, I spent another 100 hours playing. I have to say that before that race, there was a bug in some circuits (Nürburgring Nordschleife) which allowed you to cheat by entering the pits in reverse. If you did that with certain low speed car, vs GT1 cars in a custom race, you get some credits fast. I'm not proud of it, but I cheated to get some credits (not much because I had not time to do that, and they patched it). So, without that credit boost, it surely would have taken many more hours to get the credits to buy all cars.

So, was it fun playing the game with the objective to get all the cars fast? Hmmm... no, mostly not fun. I like to play time trials, and some online races. Those modes give you very few credits. Playing 779 times the same race, is not fun at all. And the daily gift car doesn't give you the really expensive cars. It gave me the Ferrari 330 P4 '67 ($20,000,000 car) the first month after released the game. Then they added cars to be bought from the PS Store with real money; and the daily car gift never gave me a care more expensive than $1,800,000 (a Lamborghini Countach LP400 '74). The game started to feel like a free to play game, where you have to play hundreds of hours to unlock things, or pay real money for them (but I already paid real money to buy the game).

After many hours played, did I get the platinium trophy? No, there are 3 throphies that requires you to perform very well in online races. I'm a low "B", sometimes high "C" driver (always "S" in sportmanship); and I'm always matched to play with at least 2 or 3 players better than me. I cannot get those throphies, I won't be a better driver, and I think those trophies are unfair.

The game includes a livery editor, which is great. Sharing and downloading liveries is easy, but searching for liveries made some months ago is difficult. In the last game update, they removed some official decals, which turned in some car liveries "damaged" (if you edit them, you lose those decals, and the livery becomes incomplete). Also, I would have liked more to select the color of the car, or the livery, after I select the car before a race. Having to go to the home screen to change the car livery is annoying. Having to buy many cars of the same model, to have different liveries on them, is insane.

One thing that worries me a lot, is the always online model of this game. I'm really afraid of what could happen when the game servers go offline forever. Will I lose my liveries? Will I be able to save my progress? I won't be able to race online, but will all the shared content be inaccessible too?

Every game has errors/bugs, and GT Sport is not an exception. The problem is that most game companies have a way to get those bugs reported by players. In this case, I don't know how to report a bug. I reported some bugs in this website, but were they read by the developers? There is a bug with the chase camera, the "Chase view camera sensitivity" loads the default value instead of the saved value. It's a day 1 bug that they never fixed. It is a really easy to fix bug, it may take a few minutes to fix it. But they don't seem to be aware of it, and there is no way to tell them. Incredible!

In conclusion, the game is very good, but it has some things that bother me. Now that I have unlocked all cars, I will be able to play any race I want, and I will enjoy it more. But if you are a more or less new player in this game, and you want all cars unlocked, it's not a good game. When you see in the daily gift car roulette 3 super expensive $20,000,000 cars, and 1 N100 cheap car, and magically it suddenly stops in the N100 car; you know it's a free to play game model (it happened at least 3 times to me), and it is unfair if you paid full price for this game. Getting all the cars, nowdays, may take more than 250 hours. It doesn't make sense to me. I like games that take up to 30 hours to unlock the main content of the game, and more hours to unlock special badges and things that show how much you played the game.

Why does everyone want quick/easy to finish games now? Does no one enjoy a proper challenge anymore? If every car is easily attainable, then none of them will be special. Same goes if all levels/races can be beat by anyone in just a few min, then what’s the point in even doing it? There’s no accomplishment in doing something that anyone else can do just as easily.

Why does everyone want quick/easy to finish games now? Does no one enjoy a proper challenge anymore? If every car is easily attainable, then none of them will be special. Same goes if all levels/races can be beat by anyone in just a few min, then what’s the point in even doing it? There’s no accomplishment in doing something that anyone else can do just as easily.

The younger generation seems to have this sense of entitlement with achievement here locally at least, @Pigems.
They’ve grown up in a different world, a very easy one. They want those trophies, it’s their right to have them!
At least here anymore it seems they give trophies for breathing.
Imo a trophy or games completion should really show a significant commitment, beyond the norm.

I didn't read the OP (or for that matter EVERYONE) as arguing that GTS should be quick/easy. Only that it should be fun and interesting. Having to play the same race 779 times is neither challenging nor fun nor interesting. It is simply tedious (and indicative of a poorly designed game economy).
And that's the real one word review of this game TEDIOUS.

I didn't read the OP (or for that matter EVERYONE) as arguing that GTS should be quick/easy. Only that it should be fun and interesting. Having to play the same race 779 times is neither challenging nor fun nor interesting. It is simply tedious (and indicative of a poorly designed game economy).
And that's the real one word review of this game TEDIOUS.

Ridiculous. Poppycock.
No ones holding a gun to your head to grind any race in game.
It’s your choice, take responsibility don’t blame the game excercise your will.
Jesus.:(

Ridiculous. Poppycock.
No ones holding a gun to your head to grind any race in game.
It’s your choice, take responsibility don’t blame the game excercise your will.
Jesus.:(
I think you might be putting syntactically-incorrect/misspelled words in my mouth.
I don't grind.
And, I don't have all the cars I would like... because it would be tedious to try to acquire those cars.
And that's what the OP said. Not that it should be easy. But that it should be fun.
This game's economy keeps this game from being as fun as it should be.
MC 900-Foot Jesus.

It’s not a fun game, he cheated to get credits and grinds the same not fun race 779 times...
Smh
Why play if it’s not fun?
Clearly the game is a torture chamber, and we are forced to play it.
Bah
Do not confuse things. The game is fun to play IF you don't aim to have all the cars asap. The game trailers show you so many good cars, like the stars of the game, but you can't really have them, unless you pay more real money in the PS Store, or play how many hundred hours if you play for fun, earning just a few credits each online race? Well, I guess you are just trolling and not providing a real conversation here.

Do not confuse things. The game is fun to play IF you don't aim to have all the cars asap. The game trailers show you so many good cars, like the stars of the game, but you can't really have them, unless you pay more real money in the PS Store, or play how many hundred hours if you play for fun, earning just a few credits each online race? Well, I guess you are just trolling and not providing a real conversation here.

How special are the cars if they are easy to get?
Boohoo
82B93C5F-FC01-4F1A-B12D-17183ABC846A.gif

You can get 20-100m credits from the Lewis Hamilton DLC, it’s beats the hell out of grinding the terrible GT League races.

But the only cars that are actually difficult to get are the 10m+ cars, the rest are pretty easy to get.

And for the record, I put in almost 2000 hours of fun last year alone without grinding any races, and that’s only on my main account. ;)

18932748-79C7-4214-9E9C-65DA8E6B397E.jpeg

Last edited:
You can get 20-100m credits from the Lewis Hamilton DLC, it’s beats the hell out of grinding the terrible GT League races.

But the only cars that are actually difficult to get are the 10m+ cars, the rest are pretty easy to get.

And for the record, I put in over 2300 hours of fun last year alone without grinding any races. ;)
And your point is? That DLC is not free either. Putting 2300 hours in a game is something impossible for anybody with an adult life, a job, kids, etc..

I don’t see the point in this thread, are you reviewing the game, trying to show off your stats or just upset you didn’t get the last 3 trophies???

We all know the game isn’t perfect, but I’d say for most people, especially those who have put in 58560 miles or more would say the game is an overall success.

How special are the cars if they are easy to get?
Boohoo

Making cars difficult to get doesn't make them special. It may make them rare within a game, but it doesn't make them special. Being a special car is what makes it special not the difficulty of accessing it. I play AC and PC2 as well as GTS and if I want to use a special car I can - I get just as much enjoyment from going straight to the car I want as I do from saving up for it in GTS.

Making cars difficult to get doesn't make them special. It may make them rare within a game, but it doesn't make them special. Being a special car is what makes it special not the difficulty of accessing it. I play AC and PC2 as well as GTS and if I want to use a special car I can - I get just as much enjoyment from going straight to the car I want as I do from saving up for it in GTS.

Which way is more realistic? Lmao jk jk

1DEF69DC-945E-4AEA-8ED0-AC3BC9558650.jpeg

Last edited:

But what challenge? Repeat the same race where I casually in N300 car race N1000 because it gives twice prize, that is only about scraps. Or play online that gives like 0.0000001 credits of desired car.

but you can't really have them, unless you pay more real money in the PS Store, or play how many hundred hours if you play for fun, earning just a few credits each online race?
Seriously ? You can get like 98% of all the cars with barely any grind . Im pretty sure you have to grind more i GT5-6 (Now with closed servers ) and GT3-4 (Not to mention some cars were locked behind certain achivements like licenses etc) if you don't want to put in the effort don't do it but don't conplain about it.

You dont need to buy all cars... if you buy just the bare minimum you can easily do all the league challenges if you so wish.

However saying that.... this thread and others like it is full of 'stockholm syndrome'.

I grew up on Forza. Forza 4 was my first sort of serious title. I liked it so much I 'backplayed' Forza 2 and 3.

My first GT was GT5 and then onto GT6.

GT Sport is the worst when it comes to acquiring cars.... I mean even GT6 is a heap better.

I look at these not really as car collection games. Reallly who can drive them all.

However I dont see the point in holding back content from the vast majority of the audience for whatever reeason. And it really is for no reason.

Forza releases some rare cars by the use particiapating in weekly events. I'm not saying this is the best way but at least they do something to regularly engage.

Think about what the goal is for this entry. Gamng is for everyone? Sure but not the 330p4...

No one should be defending ridiculous grind barriers. What is the point of creating content when only the 1% has access to it.

I truly think the stats will show that the only people who have the 330p4 would be the 1%.

THere used to be a thread here where someone posted on here about being a parent and asking for recommenedations on whether GT SPort is a good game for casuals or kids in that can you get the cars and run them for fun in the game.

And the answer would be no. THis is not a game for casuals. ANd the eliteist in me would say... "GGOD". We dont want no filthy casuals in GT SPort.

However whats the point of that? Is this how gaming should be in 2017? Its how it still is in this universe in 2020.

You don't have to get all the cars in the game, just get the cars you want. If you need a car for that race and if you have not got that car in your garage, just win some races to get that car you want. These things I said are the correct way to play GT Sport and have fun.

thank you the office.gif

Further to that the content that is available is thin... for me just doing 42km dwg a day means you have accomplished all I want to accomplish too quickly anyway.

HOWEVER saying that people say "take your time and enjoy"... I think these people forget about the obsessive days when people played for hours on end in the PS2 or earlier era Gran Turismos....

No one should be dictating how another person plays because no one is 'correct'.

If people want to do hours and hours on end how they used to do it on the PS2 then all power to you.

But if you are a more or less new player in this game, and you want all cars unlocked, it's not a good game. When you see in the daily gift car roulette 3 super expensive $20,000,000 cars, and 1 N100 cheap car, and magically it suddenly stops in the N100 car; you know it's a free to play game model (it happened at least 3 times to me), and it is unfair

I'm a new player and this doesn't bother me at all. Not once in GT5 or 6 did I spend $20,000,000 on a car, and not once did I want to either. They're usually old and crap anyway, and hold no appeal to me.
I'm only interested in normal road cars, modern LMPs, and the monster race cars like Porsche 962, 787B, R92CP and so forth. As long as I can acquire those cars for sensible money I'll be happy.

Also, I would have liked more to select the color of the car, or the livery, after I select the car before a race. Having to go to the home screen to change the car livery is annoying. Having to buy many cars of the same model, to have different liveries on them, is insane.

As someone who tries to play racing games in as arcade of a fashion as possible, this is something that bugs me in most modern games. I get that people want a better sense of ownership, but at the same time I preferred the way things were done in older arcade titles like NFS Hot Pursuit 2. Just pick your car, pick either a factory paint or livery, and race. Its even worse in Forza considering that changing your factory paint counts as a new livery slot, and after a while you're going to fill the limited slots you have. The whole idea of "one car, one livery" just feels restrictive in a genre that best benefits from player freedom. I don't see how people could be put off of the idea of having multiple livery slots for their cars.

I've read all the posts, agree with some points, disagree with others but thought I'd just chip in.
The reason L still love this game after playing it for well over a year (logged on 467 days) is because I love driving!!
Sure, this isn't a hard core sim, maybe AC and PC2 are more "realistic" but GTS is great and easy to just hop into and take all sorts of cars that you'll never, ever own for a spin!
The combination of tracks and cars is staggering (no good at maths so can't work out the permutations :lol: ) and then throw into that mix the fact that they can all be tuned is jaw-dropping.
Even when "grinding" I found it fun because you could change cars & circuits although admittedly some combos were much quicker to gain credits than others.
Just checked my stats and I have "earned" 178,748,447 credits (I have all the Unicorns and pretty much every car I want), driven 77,175 Km and was at level 50 a while ago. I don't even think about trophies. And I'm still nowhere near bored with it.

After many hours played, did I get the platinium trophy? No, there are 3 throphies that requires you to perform very well in online races. I'm a low "B", sometimes high "C" driver (always "S" in sportmanship); and I'm always matched to play with at least 2 or 3 players better than me. I cannot get those throphies, I won't be a better driver, and I think those trophies are unfair.
You can get those trophies, and I've bolded up a part of your post as a clue how.

Only two of them require you to do well - the poles and wins trophies. The other one just needs you to do enough online races to qualify. You should read our trophy guide.

One thing that worries me a lot, is the always online model of this game. I'm really afraid of what could happen when the game servers go offline forever. Will I lose my liveries? Will I be able to save my progress? I won't be able to race online, but will all the shared content be inaccessible too?

When the servers are about to shut down they will surely release a final update that adapts the game to solely offline play, just as they did with GT5 and GT6. Let's hope they do this in a way that addresses all your concerns ;)

On another note, let's not forget you can also rubberband your controller and have the game grind on its own, earning you 6.440.000 Cr. per 24 hours. Sure, it's a dismal amount compared to doing 24 hours worth of grinding yourself, but the point is that you can be off doing something else (well, except for playing on your PS4 :P). At least for me, this is how I got all cars in the game. My Mini has something like 50.000 km on the clock now :lol: I do agree that excessive grinding shouldn't be necessary to begin with but that's just the way GT has always been. At least for as long as I have been knowing it since GT4.

Last edited:

Is owning all the cars really a proper challenge?

I would say the opposite, because you can grind enough to purchase any car even if you have absolutely no talent. Even if you are the best player in the world, the path to owning all the cars means you are still condemned to hours of one-dimensional chasing the rabbit like it's Ridge Racer 4. It's like the 24h races in GT4, it's not challenging, it is just dire tedium.

Cuphead is a game with proper challenge. If you're good at it, you can finish it in an hour. But if you're learning, you will spend hours upon hours getting to that level.

Last edited:
Back