A small review of GT Sport after getting all cars

• Thread starter Predatore
  • 60 comments
In the games I grew up on, you had to play and beat levels to get to see what cool level came next.
You didn’t get to fight a boss day 1, or see cool more complicated levels.
Just like I said seems like a lot of gamers these days just want everything given to them or something, like just because they are good gamers they DESERVE all these trophies or content.
For me coming back to gaming after a long absence with GTS I never HAD to have EVERY car EVERY trophy COMPLETE the game as fast as possible. This is recreation.
If it’s not fun why do you do it? Are you getting paid? Is it a job?
Is there some rule that says you MUST grind to max credits doing the SAME thing over and over and over?
Smh.

People resort to collecting all the cars, the trophies, 10K online races etc, because A. racing is fun and B. GTS doesn't provide any proper challenge to stay interested otherwise.

Everyone still playing is doing the same grind week after week. There are no new tracks coming out anymore, no new race combos. So you set a goal, whether it be collecting all the cars, the trophies, gain DR, gain FIA points, DR.S, get the longest clean streak, get a top 10 qualy time. It's all the same repetitive stuff underneath. Lap racing is the very essence of repetitive.

Racing is awesome, GTS as a game, not that great.

@Predatore Btw those trophies are quite easy to get, you just need to throw your integrity out the window and punt everyone in your way off the track. You'll have those thropies in a couple weeks :lol: With all the practice you have had you should have no issues collection pole to flag victories in SR.C :sly:

Who defines what is a 'proper challenge'? There's people out there who only do liveries. Is that a proper challenge?

Why are people caught up in how other people play their game?

I knew people who just love time trials. I hate that kind of crap but hey, your game you play how you like.

Further to this wasnt there trophies for filling out your garage in GT5/6?

WHat is one to make of B-Spec? Was that ever a 'proper challenge'?

Ha I remember B-spec grinding for money in GT5! No need to switch inputs, at set time intervals, enter the right sequence looking at the HDD light for confirmation and keep watching tv :lol:

The challenge in GTS is to stay under the daily workout limit so you don't end up with another duplicate in the garage :cheers:

Can I just say, to everyone complaining about people "wanting things handed to them right away":

1. It's a video game. It's really not something to be taken so seriously

2. Not everyone in the world plays your way. Just because someone would rather it be easier to obtain all the cars in the game rather than spend 250+ hours or spend an extra like $100 for the cars, doesn't make them any less of a gamer. It just means they don't play the same way you do. It's not a crime; they're not "losers" or "entitled" or whatever you "gods of games" call us. Cool, you like a challenge. That's cool. Some people don't have the time to spend on games like that. Some people just don't like to grind. It's fine.

3. It's a video game. Seriously. How about you come down off your high horse for a moment and play nice for a change. I know it can be scary coming down. What if you slip/trip and fall on your face? Well, scars build character, something, I feel, anyone who thinks their way is the ONLY way to play, seriously needs. It's a work of fiction. It's not intended to be taking seriously. Even Kazanori said that people don't want true realism. Why? Because it's a video game. It's an escape from reality. And what REALLY makes people hate gamers the most, is that "higher than thou" attitude because you play games on the highest difficulty. Good for you. You get a gold star and a pat on the head. And then you spit on others who don't play the way you do. That's just stupid. We're all gamers. Stop being jerks about it.

I'm 44 and think the credit system is a complete waste of time, I am here to race not grind. I'd do away with it altogether, just give me the cars, why hide them?

You start Project Cars and boom the cars are there, i just feel GTS has grown up enough to not need the credit gimmick, the racing is good enough to stand alone.

Last edited:
I'm 44 and think the credit system is a complete waste of time
No it is not a waste of time because myself and many others do like too grind, and that is the Gran Turismo way.
If you don't like to grind please play other racing games, like Project cars 2 and Assetto Corsa and many other games out there.

So if someone cries about the Credit System in a game well you can not blame the game, because it is actually the person who bought the game in the first place.

Last edited:
People resort to collecting all the cars, the trophies, 10K online races etc, because A. racing is fun and B. GTS doesn't provide any proper challenge to stay interested otherwise.

Everyone still playing is doing the same grind week after week. There are no new tracks coming out anymore, no new race combos. So you set a goal, whether it be collecting all the cars, the trophies, gain DR, gain FIA points, DR.S, get the longest clean streak, get a top 10 qualy time. It's all the same repetitive stuff underneath. Lap racing is the very essence of repetitive.

Racing is awesome, GTS as a game, not that great.

@Predatore Btw those trophies are quite easy to get, you just need to throw your integrity out the window and punt everyone in your way off the track. You'll have those thropies in a couple weeks :lol: With all the practice you have had you should have no issues collection pole to flag victories in SR.C :sly:
Definitely agree about trying to stay interested. I'm upwards of 60+ GTS new game starts. Yep, redid the LHC each time, since it was introduced. About 30 minutes Golding all the challenges in one shot.
I've even restarted several times, in one day, just to try playing the game a different way. Driver Contract provide two cars from most brands.

At the moment, I restarted Friday night, to just collect all Ford/Shelby Cars. Got all the high roller Fords and now working on the MachForty, both GR.B, Mach 1, Mustang GT and Focus.
Did a Circuit Experience that I knew rewards the Ford GT '06.

Suzuki are the easiest to collect. :lol::sly:

Pick a brand and try to complete as many GT League races as possible or buy cars just for whatever Sport Mode races are taking place.

One thing(in a list of many) PDI could have gotten right, is market value for the multi-million classics. Value should go up, the longer players hold on to those cars.
If someone bought one and turned around in a couple seconds to sell, it should be the price they bought it.
Now, with the 100mil cap for LHC buyers, the selling value of those cars should rise. Cap it to equivalent of the current sales loss.

Anyway, it doesn't take much, for a player to acquire Gr.1/2/3/4/B, the Red Bull cars, one or both SF19 and any GR.N cars( that can cover multiple classes from N100-1000). Several new games, I didn't buy any cars, due to Driving School/Mission Challenge/Circuit Experience. :cheers:

No one would care about the price of a car if there was a viable and pleasant unintrusive way to accumluate credits to buy cars.

I dont think I've ever had much of a 'credit crunch' so to speak, with Forza. The money came organically thru natural gameplay and those games gifted cars on a large scale... Horizon is even worse in that regard. Granted they do weird weekly gifts of cash and weekly events that pay out big.

So can you say the same about Gran Turismo?

We know Sport mode is a loss, there's no money in it. Custom race is largely difficult. in my experience you tend to get credits by 'gaming the classes'....

I used to get 250,000 a day by running N300 vs N1000 rally cars. Now I'm down to 150,000 a day by running N400 vs. Gr.4 - would I call this a 'natural game progression'? No I wouldnt.

Running the GT Leagues over and over at Blue Moon Bay? Is that normal 'expected' gameplay?

In GT6 you would get credits by doing the 200% 5 day login with the expert seasonals which would grab almost a million credits per 5 lap race?

In GT5 you would get about the same in the B -Spec seasonals?

I dont consider any of this 'normal' gameplay. You're playing the system.

Not much of GT Sport results in the natural accumulation of credits. That's the issue.

Today, if starting from Driving School onwards and then GT League Sunday Cup, it's natural progression, from Beginner to Professional. One of the main cars players need, is a Gr.B. I'm sure everyone has received a Gr.3/4 car early in their play time(again, just choose a Driver Contract). So, that's covered.

Without touching Sport Mode, the game reads like past GT games. The prize cars from the "tests" and Daily Workout, can get players through GT League.

I'm also talking about not having to grind(as in repeat the same races-just a straight playthrough). A bit too much focus are on the 20mil cars. Of course, NOW, we have the AMG. Which, can do the job for a minor 2 mil Cr.

Can I just say, to everyone complaining about people "wanting things handed to them right away":

1. It's a video game. It's really not something to be taken so seriously

2. Not everyone in the world plays your way. Just because someone would rather it be easier to obtain all the cars in the game rather than spend 250+ hours or spend an extra like $100 for the cars, doesn't make them any less of a gamer. It just means they don't play the same way you do. It's not a crime; they're not "losers" or "entitled" or whatever you "gods of games" call us. Cool, you like a challenge. That's cool. Some people don't have the time to spend on games like that. Some people just don't like to grind. It's fine.

3. It's a video game. Seriously. How about you come down off your high horse for a moment and play nice for a change. I know it can be scary coming down. What if you slip/trip and fall on your face? Well, scars build character, something, I feel, anyone who thinks their way is the ONLY way to play, seriously needs. It's a work of fiction. It's not intended to be taking seriously. Even Kazanori said that people don't want true realism. Why? Because it's a video game. It's an escape from reality. And what REALLY makes people hate gamers the most, is that "higher than thou" attitude because you play games on the highest difficulty. Good for you. You get a gold star and a pat on the head. And then you spit on others who don't play the way you do. That's just stupid. We're all gamers. Stop being jerks about it.

Well said. 👍

Today, if starting from Driving School onwards and then GT League Sunday Cup, it's natural progression, from Beginner to Professional. One of the main cars players need, is a Gr.B. I'm sure everyone has received a Gr.3/4 car early in their play time(again, just choose a Driver Contract). So, that's covered..

I've done about 99% of the leagues and all of the driving school and track challenges. The money isnt enough. And what do you do once you done all that? Game the customs races like I do?

I say this as someone who has over 1,000 cars and I think I've spent over $50 mil. (to get that trophy etc.) - also I dont expect the avg. joe to be as dedicated slash crazy as me...

I've done about 99% of the leagues and all of the driving school and track challenges. The money isnt enough. And what do you do once you done all that? Game the customs races like I do?

I say this as someone who has over 1,000 cars and I think I've spent over $50 mil. (to get that trophy etc.) - also I dont expect the avg. joe to be as dedicated slash crazy as me...
The money is enough. That's why I typed a straight playthrough. Beyond that, if players want to keep playing Gran Turismo, that's the choice they make.

The replayability(answering your question) depends what each person wants out of this particular GT.
Car collecting? Online only? Offline only? Photos? Liveries? Trophies? Watching replays?

The average Joe, 7-77, only needs the basic GR.1-4 and a Gr.B.
GR.4 in Beginner League
GR.B & GR.3 in Amatuer League
GR.2 & GR.1 in Professional League
GR.1 & GR.3 in Endurance League

Anything more than that, comes down to what a player wants to accomplish.

You're going thru GT SPort like the classic GT5/6 guides to playing the game with buying the minimum amount of cars. I do like that attitude but its any advanced play method that I dont expect many people would be attracted to.

Some day they said, we will help the players, so they dont have to grind for cars. They made all cars to buy with real money.
But only the cars you would reach easy with the game credits by normal playing. The expensivce ones you have to grind like before. What resulted in the same situtation like before. It was just a way to get more money from customers.

You're going thru GT SPort like the classic GT5/6 guides to playing the game with buying the minimum amount of cars. I do like that attitude but its any advanced play method that I dont expect many people would be attracted to.
Even in Sport Mode, it's the bare minimum. Only reason to buy cars not gifted or Driver Contract, are the META cars.

Some day they said, we will help the players, so they dont have to grind for cars. They made all cars to buy with real money.
But only the cars you would reach easy with the game credits by normal playing. The expensivce ones you have to grind like before. What resulted in the same situtation like before. It was just a way to get more money from customers.
For sure. Wasn't it done with the Special Edition or pre-order? Didn't people pay more to get the 250,000Cr. and 10 GR.3 cars? Pretty much the same cars they'd get in Campaign awards and DWG.

Same with the LHC DLC. Pay $11, get all gold or all diamond for 30mil-100mil Cr. Still paying real money to buy cars.

It seems there’s 2 sides to this argument or maybe 3:
Those that love the grind
Those that don’t
Those that don’t care either way.

I think what most are forgetting is when you buy the game, any game for that matter. You have no actual right to the game in any way. All you have bought, is the chance to play the game.
There is no right or wrong, games are an expression of a vision or idea from a creative person or persons. And that vision or idea solely belongs to them.
You pays your money and you takes your chances. Maybe you like it, maybe you don’t, but the game itself doesn’t owe you anything.

I've never understood the ranting about being forced to play for hundreds of hours to get the 20 million credit cars. Sure, it'll take a while. But they're by no means necessary to finish the game, it's possible to Platinum the game without going anywhere near a historic race. Now, if someone wants them just for the sake of having them... you want something, you do what it takes to get it, or you're left without it. It's no more complicated than that.

My personal favourite comparison is the final boss fight of an RPG with full character upgrades. You're not going to be able to do that right away after starting a new game. Oh, but you really want to? Tough luck, still not going to happen. And I'm quite sure nobody would start new threads about it on an RPG forum because they would be laughed out of there in a matter of minutes.

By the way, to put the effort needed to get a 20 million car into perspective. Premium Sports Lounge with an N400 car, clean race bonus and a victory every time, 58 races from zero to 20 million. That's around 20 hours of driving time on the twisty circuits, much less when doing the oval races. And if someone can't win those races with an N400 car, they probably should put in more practice before getting their hands on the most prestigious cars in the game.

No it is not a waste of time because myself and many others do like too grind, and that is the Gran Turismo way.
If you don't like to grind please play other racing games, like Project cars 2 and Assetto Corsa and many other games out there.

So if someone cries about the Credit System in a game well you can not blame the game, because it is actually the person who bought the game in the first place.

In GT2 it took four five-minute races to buy the most expensive car in the game. How's that for an arbitrary definition of what the Gran Turismo way is?

As for not being able to express negative opinions for a product that someone bought - that's nonsense.

Last edited:
In GT2 it took four five-minute races to buy the most expensive car in the game. How's that for an arbitrary definition of what the Gran Turismo way is?

As for not being able to express negative opinions for a product that someone bought - that's nonsense.
Don't you know there is a lot of difference between GT2 and GT Sport, and it is not nonsense either.

Don't you know there is a lot of difference between GT2 and GT Sport

Well yes, that is my point. The series has changed over time but yet you are acting like grinding out fifty races to afford one car is some inalienable tradition.

, and it is not nonsense either.

It is nonsense because even if you accept that people should have known better before buying the game as a valid argument - most people bought the game before the 20m cars were even added, so how could they have known?

I don't mind the credit system being there but it is seriously unbalanced. And locking a 100m payout and increase in credit limit behind paid DLC is a terrible game choice without precedent in the series.

Last edited:
I don't own any of the 10 M and up cars, and I couldn't care less. In fact I rather want to not get the daily workout gifts, so I could save up for a nice E46 M3. As it is now I already have 3 dupes and I rarely need to buy a car, because I have already like 100 or so. Almost every GR3 car I got through the wheel of fortune. I bought maybe 20 cars with my credits. That's somehow pretty lame. You don't get the satisfaction of earning your car. PD should only put 1M + cars on the wheel of fortune and make the probabilty a lot lower, so most of the time you get nothing at all. Better than thousend of dupes which nobody wants.

Last edited:
I have noticed a few individuals replying aggressively to serious criticism of the game. If this continues to happen Polyphony will never learn from its mistakes, like for example, the mindless grinding. Nobody is saying that Gran Turismo should be easy, but that it should be fun, that you could spend at least 100 hours in GT League without getting excessively bored, and if they can't do that, then increase the payout for the online races. That is a small but important step towards a better game.

When the servers are about to shut down they will surely release a final update that adapts the game to solely offline play, just as they did with GT5 and GT6. Let's hope they do this in a way that addresses all your concerns ;)

On another note, let's not forget you can also rubberband your controller and have the game grind on its own, earning you 6.440.000 Cr. per 24 hours. Sure, it's a dismal amount compared to doing 24 hours worth of grinding yourself, but the point is that you can be off doing something else (well, except for playing on your PS4 :P). At least for me, this is how I got all cars in the game. My Mini has something like 50.000 km on the clock now :lol: I do agree that excessive grinding shouldn't be necessary to begin with but that's just the way GT has always been. At least for as long as I have been knowing it since GT4.

I remember a developer on Dirt Rally 2's forums saying that they won't be adapting the career to offline mode because "it's built into the game and it's too hard to edit". Hopefully this won't happen to GT Sport.

It seems some people spent a lot of time in this game, and don't want other people say they wasted it. And I understand that. But other people cannot (or don't want to) spend more than certain amount of time in a game. So, the real discussion here seems to be how much is that "proper amount of time" that a game requires to be spent in order to unlock the main content of the game (in case of a racing game; it would be all tracks and cars. Not main content would be special liveries, badges, etc.). And of course, it must not require to spend extra money in DLC or ways to speed up your progress.

From the point of view of an average adult, at least based on where I live, during week days you are lucky if you have half an hour to play videogames; and during weekends you may play 3 or 4 hours. I know it is very different in different places of the world, and in different social classes; but I'm talking about what I know. So, let's say an average adult can spend 5 hours a week playing videogames. BUT they usually are not die-hard fans of one game, therefore they play different games during that time. So, let's say they spend 2 hours a week playing GT Sport.

From the point of view of the gameplay, let's say they play to complete the single player content, and then for fun in online matches. They don't repeat the same high credits reward race over and over again. So, the single player content (no DLC) of GT Sports gives you some good cars and some credits (I don't remember the exact amount now, but I'm sure it was far less than 20,000,000 Cr.); and during online races, an average skilled player get 30,000 Cr. every race (which start one every half an hour).

Doing some maths vs data: There are 320 cars to be bought with credits, which cost a total of 320,550,430 Cr., and 13 cars to be bought with milage points. Since I don't have the data from single player, let's say after completing that, you remain to buy cars for 300,000,000 Cr.. Based on my gameplay and spreadsheet, the daily car gift cost an average of 353,324 Cr.. So, it would take an average adult playing 2 hours a week, and getting 4 gift cars a week, 165 weeks (more than 3 years) to unlock all cars (assuming the daily car roulette won't give you repeated cars, which is unlikely).

In my opinion, having to play more than 3 years to unlock the main content of a game is really bad; it's something that if I know before buying the game, I wouldn't buy it. Maybe it's ok for a free to play game, but not if I pay full price in a pre-order. That's why I say that games should last up to 30 hours to unlock its main content (remember main content, not everything). And for an average adult, who plays 2 hours a week, it means the game requires 15 weeks (3,5 months) to unlock its main content. After that, the game does not "end", but you can enjoy it at its full capacity all the time you want (at least while the servers are online).

And about the trophies, I think a platinium trophy should not show that you are exceptionally skilled at one game, but that you completed it. And games that have trophies that requires a higher skill level than the average player are just bad designed trophies, and Playstation/Sony should not allow it. I'm not a trohpy hunter, but if they are there, they should work properly.

I think the biggest problem with the game is that none of the game progression loops are satisfying or well thought out. Outside of your own personal goals and the license test, the game almost doesn't care what you decide to do with it. What is the reward progression for online racing? Arbitrary DR and SR grades. The reward for tuning? Nothing you can compete with except for 1 or 2, time trials, and ad hoc lobby races. Campaign? The game doesn't even care if you finish. Grinding? The math is so badly thought out so you end up running loop races with a rubber-banded controller. Livery editors? Social affirmation that doesn't relate to credits.

None of this matters for me because I do random stuff like seeing many campaign races I can enter and win with an M1 Golf. So the game is limitless for many people like me but from an objective design perspective where good design is meant to progressively pull the gamer in with a satisfying skill/reward loop... this game fails miserably.

If it's more easy platinum trophies you’re after then you can easily Google your way to find games that hand them out “for free”. GT Sport is hardly one of the most difficult out there, it requires some skill, yes, or “tactics” but it’s not a giveaway trophy (and rightly so).

Last edited:
Right I don't really want to get into the arguments in this thread about the grinding you have to do to get the money to own a number of the cars and whether that's right or wrong or whether it makes the game more rewarding or not. It's not a simple discussion at all and would take a lot of time to get perfect design or at least one that has a majority approval and PD will be PD anyway and then we'll all complain again, about something or other.

What I can't accept is that people just accept, even defend, the Platinum trophy requirements and I am not really a trophy hunter. I mean one trophy requires you to get to XP level 50, the amount of Xp that requires is just absurd and Pd must have known this and the likely outcome.

When you play normally and you ain't getting anywhere near this in a few years of play, how can that be sensible game design in anyone's book. So what happens is people being to look for the exploits and shortcuts and they are (and were) plenty of tricks or cheats/shortcuts to help you get this trophy, ones that many will happily tell you they took but doing that didn't require any skill and in some cases even began to ruin the game. So how can anyone defend this, how is this trophy meaningful, a status symbol, a skill indicator or in any way good for the game?

It is true that many other games have equally stupid trophies but that doesn't give GtSport a pass that makes it immune from criticism. It's definitely not unreasonable to complain about the trophies in GtSport in a review of the game, the only issue here is the OP complained about the wrong trophies. ;)

In my opinion, having to play more than 3 years to unlock the main content of a game is really bad; it's something that if I know before buying the game, I wouldn't buy it.

For me, playing this game as my first GT, I was never fixated on car collecting, which you imply is the games primary objective.
What you have pointed out isn’t wholly untrue, but framing your posts from the standpoint that owning every car is the games object IMO JUST IMO misses the point of the game entirely.
The main point of this game is racing other real humans online.
If you complete driver school, track experience, missions you pretty much have more cars than you need for online.

For myself the richness of experience of online racing renders the games other aspects irrelevant except for livery editor and scapes.

I’ve never done a gt league. I’ve never ground out a race vs ai hoping to achieve credits for trophies. Tbh those thoughts never occurred in my mind.

The satisfying progression for me occurs in the games sport mode. Gaining a tenth on qual or making an overtake or finishing a race clean, vs live competition FOR ME JMO makes any gt league or whatever offline single player uninteresting. Jmo but I can’t see for myself getting satisfaction out of winning races vs ai.
It’s much more satisfying starting sixteenth or even last in a room full of competent humans and maybe holding position or gaining a spot, racing close.
For me no ai could ever even come close, and especially not trying to deduce how to get lots of credits and buy cars that will never be used anyways and grinding out hundreds and hundreds of races vs weak ai saving up.
Imo with any game, take a game that’s simple and old like Joust, or original street fighter, those games if you are playing p vs p can be enjoyed immensely. Far more so than figuring out some pattern built into them and beating them.
A sport is something you enjoy with others.
Imo that’s the point.

Edit: Also in any sport satisfaction is derived at a greater level the more you invest in skill development. You put more in and work hard you get more out.
That’s why it doesn’t make sense to me these posts blaming the game for a persons lack of satisfaction.

Last edited:
In my opinion, having to play more than 3 years to unlock the main content of a game is really bad; it's something that if I know before buying the game, I wouldn't buy it.
But this game is about driving. You want to collect every single car.
So that means if PD increases the amount of cars in GT7, which would be awesome, you think this would be bad, because it will increase also the amount of time to earn the credits?
Or you would suggest to reduce the prices so you can get every car in the same amount of time or sooner. But then again I lose my challenge, because I can get my 20-30 cars so easily. Since when do we need to have everything? Imagine how this would be in real-life. :lol:

Back