A Test Drive Unlimited Sequel is On Its Way From WRC Developer Kylotonn

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 976 comments
The name isn't great, but hopefully the game will be. I'm looking forward to finding out more about this game and seeing some gameplay footage whenever that might happen.

Personally, I’d say stick with the “Unlimited” name, it’s got history with fans and gamers and it’d be the best way to have it be known to many right off the bat - but man, the leak sounds very interesting, and I do hope they do it justice and keep the spirit of TDU (1, especially). Looking forward to it!

I guess that ties into the Project Sunrise name. Some leak is claiming there will be a reveal this month as well.

We got our first peek of Test Drive in the Nacon Connect teaser:

Annotation 2020-06-30 185325.png

Stream starts 7pm CEST on July 7th

I'm not exactly excited, and considering who's making it, those who are getting their hopes up, especially considering what TDU needs to do in order to actually elevate it over The Crew/Forza Horizon especially are probably going to be sorely disappointed.

I'm not exactly excited, and considering who's making it, those who are getting their hopes up, especially considering what TDU needs to do in order to actually elevate it over The Crew/Forza Horizon especially are probably going to be sorely disappointed.
You've made it awfully clear that you have absolutely no faith in this game. Despite having seen literally none of it.

You've made it awfully clear that you have absolutely no faith in this game. Despite having seen literally none of it.

Again, considering what needs to be done for a game of this caliber in order to make it stand out above the two games mentioned, I don't have much faith in Kylotonn being able to perform it.

Moreover, and this is probably the most important bit, is that my standards for racing games especially are so much higher then they were even a decade ago. I'm not exactly that interested in paying $80 CAD for a game that has some good ideas, but is all in all a typical example of Eurojank in racing games.

Considering that this game is 100% going to at minimum be like The Crew 2/Forza Horizon 4 in being either online only, or having most of the actual content based around an online component, what happens when the game bombs because of low interest or bad reviews? How long do Kylotonn stick it out before throwing in the towel? We've seen even from big developers (Battlefield V) who throw in the towel with a live service game after not hitting the sales and especially player numbers that the publisher invariably wants it to hit, so how much leeway does Kylotonn give for TDU 3?

If that makes me a Debbie Downer, so be it. But these are question that, in consideration of who TDU as a series is under, needs to be at least posited.

Kylotonn are a solid developer team, and their work on the recent WRC titles is great. I'm not holding out hopes for TDU3, but I'm not some cynical 'only nostalgic fans want it' kinda guy: if it's above semidecent, then that's good enough for me.

Cautious optimism. Kylotonn can clearly do environments, they understand different surfaces and have just got to grips with dynamic weather so there's a lot to take from that.

I mean, to be fair, they could remaster TDU2 with a good wedge of new cars and next gen graphics details and I'd be happy. I'm keen to find out what environment they are going to go with.

Is that a Regera I see in the background? I'm really torn as for some reason it reminds me of a Marussia B2 as well...

I also got FD RX7 vibes from it but the mirror placement isn't right and I'm wrong.

I also got FD RX7 vibes from it but the mirror placement isn't right and I'm wrong.
For me it's the glisten on the front grille that confuses me. If it's coming from the badge then it's a Marussia... if it's just a highly reflective surface then it's a Regera

Would hope that the team working on WRC stages is doing the roads for this game. The WRC stages are fantastic, and are filled with little details in the road that elevate them far above the competition. Great roads are more than just twisty, and the route team at Kylotonn know that.

That being said, I'm not getting my hopes too high for this until I see some gameplay.

Alright, I look forward to what they bring. In pure honesty, I won't get my hopes up too high, but I still stand by my previous thoughts on this sequel still being able to work.

After playing The Crew 2 and Forza Horizon 4 some more in the past few weeks, I'm more convinced that there's most definitely room for Test Drive Unlimited 3 and can still stand out. As long as Kylatoon implements decent driving physics and controls over The Crew 2 and doesn't implement an always online only server experience (which has held TC2 back from me fully enjoying it), I can definitely see people buying it.

Seriously, The Crew 2 has found ways to frustrate me more than any other modern racing game has before!

Back