A Test Drive Unlimited Sequel is On Its Way From WRC Developer Kylotonn

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 976 comments
Test Drive - Full image from twitter
Twitter Image.jpg

My Educated car list Guess so far

Cars seen in trailers and media, including game the car made first appearence.
- Apollo Intensa Emozione, 2018 NEW
- Bugatti Chiron, 2018 NEW
- Koenigsegg ???? NEW
- Lamborghini Diablo (TDU 1)
- Porsche 918 Spyder, 2014 NEW
- unknown [Red car]

Cars from other Kylotonn (KT Racing) games and unconfirmed leaks.
- Alpine A110-50, 2012 NEW
- Chevrolet Camaro Z-28, 1967 [First Appearance in TDU 1]
- Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2018 [First Appearance V-Rally 4] NEW
- Ford GT, 2006 [Appearence In V-Rally 4 and in both TDU 1 & 2]
- Ford Mustang Fastback, 1965 [Appearence In V-Rally 4 and in TDU 2 as a 1968 model]
- Ford/Shelby GT500, 2010 [Appearence In V-Rally 4 and in TDU 2]
- Lancia Delta HF Intergrale, 1992 [Appearence In V-Rally 4 and in TDU 2]
- Lancia Stratos, 1973 [Appearence In V-Rally 4 and in TDU 2 as a 1975 Group 4 variant]
- Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, ???? [unconfirmed leak]
- Renault Clio RS, ???? [unconfirmed leak]
- Volkswagen Polo GTi, ???? [unconfirmed leak, TDU 2 had a VW Licence]

Last edited:
If the 2 screenshots kn the last page are real then that may show the teaser was a render. The shots look more like what I'd exlect from the Kylotonn engine and to me thats not a good thing. Looks like The Crew 1.

Time will tell, its still early. With 90 cars it needs to be a very good list, maybe I'm just spoiled by the likes of Horizon and what not having strong lists but thay where thisbgame is competing so it needs to be able to compete.

While Test Drive is confirmed tomorrow, another racing game from RaceWard Studios will be making its debut during the same event:

Unannounced racing game is RiMS Racing, motorbike simulation.

Looks and sounds like a rival to Ride. Real world roads, circuits and bike customisation all confirmed. Summer 2021. No gameplay footage.

Main announcement:

Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown

WRC based driving physics
"No other real alternative out there"
Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini confirmed
1:1 recreation of an island
No release date

Not sure about no other real alternative, sure does sound like Horizon or The Crew.

Last edited:
The announcement was ehhh but if we are making judgements based on what was said, it doesn't appear to deviate from the standard set by the original games which is a good thing.

Now that it is confirmed Solar Crown will be running on the WRC 9 engine, I wonder how much of a factor realism would be.

"No other real alternative out there"

Omg, here we freaking go. "We're totally not getting cocky here fam". :rolleyes:
I think he means it in that, well, there’s isn’t anything that captures that TDU essence and spirit. It’s unique to Test Drive and while Forza Horizon definitely shares some elements, it does its own thing for the most part. I for one am super excited for TDU SC, can’t wait!

I think he means it in that, well, there’s isn’t anything that captures that TDU essence and spirit. It’s unique to Test Drive and while Forza Horizon definitely shares some elements, it does its own thing for the most part. I for one am super excited for TDU SC, can’t wait!

I think the only thing TDU can claim is unlike any other is 1:1 location recreation so far. Everything else is everything we've seen before. Hopefully they have something up their sleeve to make it unique.

The name Test Drive Unlimited - Solar Crown kinda sucks, makes it sound like the cut down portable version of the real game, like you used to see on PSP tiles for example. Would TDU3 have been so bad?

Also when he said 'we've created an island', that almost certainly means it's not a real location which is a shame. I was hoping for a real location like Hawaii again not an NFS style fantasy one.

The name Test Drive Unlimited - Solar Crown kinda sucks, makes it sound like the cut down portable version of the real game, like you used to see on PSP tiles for example. Would TDU3 have been so bad?

Also when he said 'we've created an island', that almost certainly means it's not a real location which is a shame. I was hoping for a real location like Hawaii again not an NFS style fantasy one.

He said they've created a 1:1 scale island. To me you can only recreate a 1:1 scale island if its a real island. Otherwise it cant be to scale. Suggests to me its going to something like Corsica or Iceland maybe. They mentioned Dirt roads and stuff so either could be viable.

TDU:SC has a steam page.

Little disappointing we didn't got any gameplay but none the less im still really excited that Test Drive is coming back along with Skate. Don't know when we'll get any new gameplay information. Maybe we'll get a gameplay trailer at Xbox Games Showcase but thats probably only by a small chance.

Well, I'm annoyed that there wasn't any real gameplay shown, but oh well.

However, from what I've heard; this TDU installment sounds basically like the same formula as the previous games, but with WRC's physics engine. Which is what I figured based on their experience, this actually could be good in terms of driving physics.

EDIT: I wonder if they can use their WRC license to include some rally cars in this game.

The return of TDU gives me a smile, but at the same time it brings me many doubts especially if I think it is developed by KT Racing instead of Eden Games.

Since those of KT Racing have churned out over the years several remakes of forgotten and much desired titles such as V-Rally & Flatout with really obscene results, which seemed almost to say that they created them just to take advantage of the name, it does not lead me to give nice thoughts ... maybe I'm wrong and this will be the right time ... (Hopefully well ...).

Edit: I was wrong to consider it an arcade cause I read that it will use WRC physics. (As if we didn't have too many of them) besides distorting the nature of the title which had always been a fast and frentic arcade.

Last edited:
TDU:SC has a steam page.

Little disappointing we didn't got any gameplay but none the less im still really excited that Test Drive is coming back along with Skate. Don't know when we'll get any new gameplay information. Maybe we'll get a gameplay trailer at Xbox Games Showcase but thats probably only by a small chance.

The copyright section clarifies some of the cars we've seen

Trademarks, design patents and copyrights are used with the permission of the owner Bugatti International S.A.
Dodge and related logos, vehicle model names and trade dress are trademarks of FCA US LLC and used under license by Nacon. © 2021 FCA US LLC.
Produced under license of Ferrari Spa. The name FERRARI, the PRANCING HORSE device, all associated logos and distinctive designs are property of Ferrari Spa.
The body designs of the Ferrari cars are protected as Ferrari Spa property under design, trademark and trade dress regulations
KOENIGSEGG, REGERA and AGERA are registered trademarks and the design of this vehicle is protected by copyright laws. The trademarks and the design are used under a license from Koenigsegg Automotive AB.
The trademarks, copyrights and design rights in and associated with Lamborghini, Lamborghini with Bull and Shield Device are used under licence from Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A., Italy
Legal Line and Trademarks of Porsche : The trademarks Porsche, Porsche Crest, Porsche Logotype, Carrera, Cayenne, 918 Spyder and 911 are used under license of Porsche AG.

Well, I'm annoyed that there wasn't any real gameplay shown, but oh well.

However, from what I've heard; this TDU installment sounds basically like the same formula as the previous games, but with WRC's physics engine. Which is what I figured based on their experience, this actually could be good in terms of driving physics.

EDIT: I wonder if they can use their WRC license to include some rally cars in this game.
TDU2 had one rally car in the game which was the Lancia Stratos with the car's rally kit. And now that TDU is in the WRC devs's hands, I think thats already in their books.

Plus they mention dirt paths being included in Solar Crown's Island.

He said they've created a 1:1 scale island. To me you can only recreate a 1:1 scale island if its a real island. Otherwise it cant be to scale. Suggests to me its going to something like Corsica or Iceland maybe. They mentioned Dirt roads and stuff so either could be viable.

I might be wrong and I hope I am but I took it to mean accurately scaled and not condensed like you see in NFS where you go from the beach to the mountains in like 2 minutes.

It was the wording and use of the word "created" that I found confusing. What I expected him to say would be "We have modelled THE island 1:1 scale". Then we know it's some island, just not which one yet.

It could just be semantics, if you recreate a real island digitally you've still created it, and if you crate a completely fictional island, you've also created it. It did sound like it could be fictional but you have to remember it's been translated as well, so jury is still out. It could still be a real place.

I don't relaly mind if it's a fictional island or not as long as it's large enough and grounded. I don't want to see desert and forrest and snowy mountain tops within a couple of km of each other. Pick a theme, make it work properly.

I for one, tend to think it will be a real place based on the previous titles. I think it's fair to say the place will have some sort of colonial legacy, for better or worse. Tried really hard to glean any meaningful contextual hints regarding the location. All I got was this maybe sort of looking tower thing in the background? Kinda of looks mountainous but not tropical? Maybe?

qYyVVgS.jpg

It's gonna be a politically "safe" place (so probably not places like Cypress or Cuba or African Islands), and probably one known for extravagance/luxury, at least partially. Malta is probably too urban and too small, Hawaii has been done, Ibiza has been done. Iceland, Sardegna and Sicily I think are too big. I imagine the island probably needs to have a high density of roads, so places like Tahiti and Fiji are probably out. It won't be a super obscure place either, it's gonna be somewhere people have heard of - and lets face it, probably an "influencer" destination. Based on the title of the game, I imagine it's also somewhere in a warm, sunny climate. Some candidates I think seem reasonable, with caveats:

1. Bali (a bit big)
2. Gran Canaria (a bit small)
3. Corsica (a bit big, not really a hot spot)
4. Singapore (small and probably too urban)
5. Mallorca (about right)
6. Okinawa (probably not enough of a pop culture hot spot)

Idk, not much to go on. I do feel like a Southeast Asia location or a Mediterranean location are probably the best fit.

While the TDU games never did much for me gameplay-wise (I don't like the driving and the environments always felt a bit flat/uninteresting) the kind of experience they managed to create I don't think has found in equal in the Forza Horizon series (which has basically zero immersion and very poor effort at role playing elements, but far better driving) nor in the Crew series (sorry, but it's a trash game all around). If they can do a better job with the driving, I think TDU could be a solid competitor to FH.

Last edited:
I would like to see it be Corsica, but yeah 3000km2 might be a bit much. But then wasn't the TDU1 map 1500km2? Modern technology wouldn't make it impossible.

Greece has a lot of islands that would fit around that sort of size, Lesbos and Rhodes both around 1500km2. Euboea around 3000km2.

If they sound too ambitious then maybe Malta? 316km2.

Back