A Test Drive Unlimited Sequel is On Its Way From WRC Developer Kylotonn

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 976 comments
Always had a sweet spot for the TDU series. The first game was really defining a new genre. What I liked about the first one is the sense of freedom and they didn't waste money on a crappy backstory. The second did add a crappy backstory, but being able to walk around a dealership/cars and get in/around the cars and test them out: amazing.

So I'll give this one the benefit of the doubt until we know a bit more. I mean, based on expectations in this thread, I think it can only impress. :lol:

I liked both games, but the second one would have been a lot better without the back story you refer to. Also the cornball characters and voice acting was a bit much. They would repeat the same inanities throughout the game.

Having given even more thought to what would make the perfect TDU experience for me, this is what it would be like, (taking into account my previous post on the subject).

The game would see a tale end-pandemic stricken Monaco, as the main goal setting with further destinations such as Nice and Cannes, as additional map locations. This would hopefully help explain the reduced number of general traffic, (both vehicles and NPC pedestrians).
You'd start off the game with a run down apartment, set in a less affluent town or village somewhere in between those locations, (if such a thing doesn't exist? then a fictional one will do).
Obviously not being set on an island, there will be a need to have road/area limits. But i think this would be a fair trade-off of having the game set in such a prestigious location.

After custom creating your character, you're presented with the choice of choosing your stead. I'm thinking some kind of bike/scooter (maybe a 3-wheeled Piaggio MP3), as your main source of income, will be as a Deliveroo rider/courier. You don't earn much but there's a selection of high paying 'special deliveries' that become available, after successfully completing lower paid ones. (Although not calling it by name, or being able to see or reference what's inside these mystery 'special delivery' packages, let's just assume it's Peruvian marching powder, or maybe stolen jewellery etc).

Successful deliveries inside of the city limits sees your reputation grow. Which in turn opens up more of the storyline, which unearths being introduced into a culture of illegal bike/moped street racing challenges, set within the urban city sprawl.
On completion of those, you're now able to afford the next step up. I'm thinking Renault Twizzy perhaps, or maybe a a Smart car or small city car. This will open up more jobs ie: larger delivery packages and taxi/hitch hiker missions.
As your reputation and bank balance increases, this opens up a wider selection of small cars. Illegal street racing is still a thing, but as your rep and car grow in size and power, the opportunity to race within those city limits decreases. So this sees many of those races migrate to the lesser populated areas, outside of towns and cities.

Another addition to the storyline, would be you're trying to achieve a large following on social media. So frequent visits into the cities and towns to take vids and pics of exotic and rare cars, could see you become some kind of influencer. Which would greatly increase your earnings and add potential invites to exclusive test drives and events, by prestigious manufacturers.
And i think this would form a good basis to where the whole Solar Crown storyline, begins to kick off.

Another idea that springs to mind is to be able to purchase a sim rig for your home. The graphics of the in-game playable sim racing, have to be deliberately a lot lower resolution and quality though, to create a clear disparity between that and the actual TDU game world.
The sim itself would have a small selection of real world tracks, that allows you to establish an E-racing career. This could also handily unlock some forms of racing licenses, needed to compete within the TDU world.

Anyway that's all i've got so far. I know the idea of having a storyline will never appeal to some people, and i must admit it was rubbish in TDU2. Though i never felt it affected the game as badly as what some people make out. Although following it was a necessary evil, i found i could still enjoy the game beyond the confines of it. Some of the most of the fun i had in both games, was just cruising around in exotic machinery.

Having given even more thought to what would make the perfect TDU experience for me, this is what it would be like, (taking into account my previous post on the subject).

The game would see a tale end-pandemic stricken Monaco, as the main goal setting with further destinations such as Nice and Cannes, as additional map locations. This would hopefully help explain the reduced number of general traffic, (both vehicles and NPC pedestrians).
You'd start off the game with a run down apartment, set in a less affluent town or village somewhere in between those locations, (if such a thing doesn't exist? then a fictional one will do).
Obviously not being set on an island, there will be a need to have road/area limits. But i think this would be a fair trade-off of having the game set in such a prestigious location.

After custom creating your character, you're presented with the choice of choosing your stead. I'm thinking some kind of bike/scooter (maybe a 3-wheeled Piaggio MP3), as your main source of income, will be as a Deliveroo rider/courier. You don't earn much but there's a selection of high paying 'special deliveries' that become available, after successfully completing lower paid ones. (Although not calling it by name, or being able to see or reference what's inside these mystery 'special delivery' packages, let's just assume it's Peruvian marching powder, or maybe stolen jewellery etc).

Successful deliveries inside of the city limits sees your reputation grow. Which in turn opens up more of the storyline, which unearths being introduced into a culture of illegal bike/moped street racing challenges, set within the urban city sprawl.
On completion of those, you're now able to afford the next step up. I'm thinking Renault Twizzy perhaps, or maybe a a Smart car or small city car. This will open up more jobs ie: larger delivery packages and taxi/hitch hiker missions.
As your reputation and bank balance increases, this opens up a wider selection of small cars. Illegal street racing is still a thing, but as your rep and car grow in size and power, the opportunity to race within those city limits decreases. So this sees many of those races migrate to the lesser populated areas, outside of towns and cities.

Another addition to the storyline, would be you're trying to achieve a large following on social media. So frequent visits into the cities and towns to take vids and pics of exotic and rare cars, could see you become some kind of influencer. Which would greatly increase your earnings and add potential invites to exclusive test drives and events, by prestigious manufacturers.
And i think this would form a good basis to where the whole Solar Crown storyline, begins to kick off.

Another idea that springs to mind is to be able to purchase a sim rig for your home. The graphics of the in-game playable sim racing, have to be deliberately a lot lower resolution and quality though, to create a clear disparity between that and the actual TDU game world.
The sim itself would have a small selection of real world tracks, that allows you to establish an E-racing career. This could also handily unlock some forms of racing licenses, needed to compete within the TDU world.

Anyway that's all i've got so far. I know the idea of having a storyline will never appeal to some people, and i must admit it was rubbish in TDU2. Though i never felt it affected the game as badly as what some people make out. Although following it was a necessary evil, i found i could still enjoy the game beyond the confines of it. Some of the most of the fun i had in both games, was just cruising around in exotic machinery.

A game with a sense of progression, immersion, and purpose? How dare you! :P

Sarcasm aside...yeah, I think this is great. I don't know why games like Forza Horizon don't play up progression or role playing elements. They don't deliver the driving mechanics satisfaction of something like Assetto Corsa (I can find pleasure/entertainment in that game purely from hotlapping) and they only half-assedly try to build up any sense of progression/narrative. The original game at least had some sense of progression - you started with a reasonably priced second hand VW, but the later games have fallen very flat in this regard. The "businesses" could have been an opportunity to provide some sort of recurring gameplay activities...but instead they took the form of discrete, do-it-once time trials that you have zero reason to ever complete again.

Roleplaying/immersion/narrative doesn't even have to be heavily developed...the TXR series, I think, achieved genuine immersion and sense of progression purely from text blurbs about opponents and some creative liveries. That game had the most limited, linear "open world" I've ever experienced, but it somehow still felt more like a real, living world than the FH series has ever managed to accomplish. The NFS series have tried to really play up narratives...with mixed results I would say. I actually enjoyed NFS payback (I believe I'm the only one) because it had a good sense of narrative progression and the world seemed believable on its own terms, it at least felt alive. I know I'm hard on the FH series, but I feel like the developers don't really have a clue what they are doing - they have not managed to build a believable open world yet. They took an intriguing concept and made it into a souless drag with occasionally very pretty vistas and a ridiculous amount of vehicles to drive around. Where the FH games have erred is the kind of pointlessness of it all. Why am I driving around this largely vacant map? Even when there is new stuff to win, I find it hard to stay engaged. At this point I don't think I would buy another FH game unless they changed the formula significantly...I don't really know what the game is anymore, and I wonder if other people playing it have the same nagging sense of purposelessness that I do. But yet, a ton of people play the game. Is it stockholm syndrome? Wow, this turned into a rant.

I was playing GTA San Andreas yesterday (yes, the nearly 20 year old game) and found myself having more fun than I typically do in FH4 where more often than not, I find myself wondering...what am I even doing driving around in this little sandbox? :lol: Open world games need to include some purpose, some ability to have immersive role playing, a variety of activities (I did a road trip from LS to LV to play some video poker in GTA SA yesterday).

All that is to say, yes, I really hope KT games emphasizes the role playing element of the original TDU games. Give us stuff to do! Give us a sense of purpose!

@Eunos_Cosmo -- Have you been reading my mind? Uncanny. :P ;)

I'm just one man, so it's going to be a while...

I think the problem is that we (and apparently @Nessy ) are more or less pining for something that probably doesn't make business sense - they already have captured the entire segment of the market, practically speaking. If PG decided to go all in on deeper levels of immersion/narrative for FH5, for instance, it would be a lot of work. And maybe some people would really like it. However, most people - let's locate them in the Fortnite frequency of the video game spectrum - probably wouldn't notice or care at all...at best. And then there would be the people who won't like it, which could jeopardize "universal acclaim" on metacritic. So instead of taking a genuine stab at trying to do something cool/innovative, a lot of these developers would rather hold things at arms length and make something as critic-proof as possible. A critic can't eviscerate your narrative if there isn't one! If the game has good visuals (no denying the FH games can look stunning) and a lot of content it almost doesn't even matter what that content is or how good it is...you're probably getting a 9/10 rating from most significant reviewers. I think most critics are reticent to review what a game isn't - they review whatever the subject is on its own terms. I actually read through some reviews of FH4 today to try and determine if any of them picked up on the inherent shallowness of it as an experience and came up almost empty. Metacritic, like Rotten Tomato, is a too-powerful force that awards safe choices and competent mediocrity - which I think is the warm basket PG has laid the Forza Horizon franchise in. And it rakes in the cash.

We need/deserve a Pitchfork for video games...just perpetually unsatisfied, sometimes contrarian, often harsh, but deeply engaged critics who don't constrain themselves to the immediate scope of what they are reviewing - that is to say, they don't limit themselves to critiquing something purely on it's own terms. Those guys at digital foundry are obsessive about visuals...we need that but for the actual "mind space" (for lack of a better term) portion of this medium. Is that guy the Escapist still doing reviews? He was pretty sharp but probably too inaccessible/obscure to have any real impact.

I think I've just revealed myself pretty comprehensively as a hipster. :lol:

Oh yeah, TDU3...hope it has some cool cars. 💡

Last edited:
@Eunos_Cosmo -- I am curious about this TDU, but I'm also fed up with all that. Screw it! My belief now is that it's up to us to create what doesn't make business sense to those companies. :cool: Indies have captured other genres. I want to play a part.

But I guess that is going thoroughly off-topic.

TDU2 was quite cringey and I sometimes struggled to take it seriously. The maps were great though. I really don't want this game to be cringey because I will pull my hair out if the dialogue is as corny and stupid as TDU2. The storyline needs to have a bit of thought put into it if I am to properly enjoy this game and the content it will offer. Your choices should mean something.

TDU2 was quite cringey and I sometimes struggled to take it seriously. The maps were great though. I really don't want this game to be cringey because I will pull my hair out if the dialogue is as corny and stupid as TDU2. The storyline needs to have a bit of thought put into it if I am to properly enjoy this game and the content it will offer. Your choices should mean something.

How about no story at all and just pure, fun driving experience like the first one?

A game with a sense of progression, immersion, and purpose? How dare you! :P

Sarcasm aside...yeah, I think this is great. I don't know why games like Forza Horizon don't play up progression or role playing elements. They don't deliver the driving mechanics satisfaction of something like Assetto Corsa (I can find pleasure/entertainment in that game purely from hotlapping) and they only half-assedly try to build up any sense of progression/narrative. The original game at least had some sense of progression - you started with a reasonably priced second hand VW, but the later games have fallen very flat in this regard. The "businesses" could have been an opportunity to provide some sort of recurring gameplay activities...but instead they took the form of discrete, do-it-once time trials that you have zero reason to ever complete again.

Roleplaying/immersion/narrative doesn't even have to be heavily developed...the TXR series, I think, achieved genuine immersion and sense of progression purely from text blurbs about opponents and some creative liveries. That game had the most limited, linear "open world" I've ever experienced, but it somehow still felt more like a real, living world than the FH series has ever managed to accomplish. The NFS series have tried to really play up narratives...with mixed results I would say. I actually enjoyed NFS payback (I believe I'm the only one) because it had a good sense of narrative progression and the world seemed believable on its own terms, it at least felt alive. I know I'm hard on the FH series, but I feel like the developers don't really have a clue what they are doing - they have not managed to build a believable open world yet. They took an intriguing concept and made it into a souless drag with occasionally very pretty vistas and a ridiculous amount of vehicles to drive around. Where the FH games have erred is the kind of pointlessness of it all. Why am I driving around this largely vacant map? Even when there is new stuff to win, I find it hard to stay engaged. At this point I don't think I would buy another FH game unless they changed the formula significantly...I don't really know what the game is anymore, and I wonder if other people playing it have the same nagging sense of purposelessness that I do. But yet, a ton of people play the game. Is it stockholm syndrome? Wow, this turned into a rant.

I was playing GTA San Andreas yesterday (yes, the nearly 20 year old game) and found myself having more fun than I typically do in FH4 where more often than not, I find myself wondering...what am I even doing driving around in this little sandbox? :lol: Open world games need to include some purpose, some ability to have immersive role playing, a variety of activities (I did a road trip from LS to LV to play some video poker in GTA SA yesterday).

All that is to say, yes, I really hope KT games emphasizes the role playing element of the original TDU games. Give us stuff to do! Give us a sense of purpose!

I couldn't agree more with most of the points you've made.

I think you're right about not necessarily needing a heavily developed roleplay/immersion/narrative. I too very much enjoyed Genki's TXR series, which was indeed very linear, but ever so addictive. In fact i'd go as far to say that it's still the best street/highway racing game ever produced, as to me it felt like it was based around a fairly believable scenario. (Not that it was without its flaws).

Also, it's funny you should mention about GTA SA. I haven't played it in over a decade, but one of my favourite pastimes was taking a removal truck to go burgle properties in the hills, then taking my favourite car for a long drive down to LV, to win money at blackjack (the gambling seemed so much easier to win back then).

I too really hope KT Games emphasises the roleplaying aspect of the TDU series. And although the Solar Crown thing will obviously be based around racing, i hope there will still be enough there, to keep people like myself who just want to cruise and take it all in (even creating my own narrative), somewhat happy.

Actually, to touch even further into why i like a game such as TDU so much, it actually stems from playing GT4. Sometimes i used to just take a road car and drive it for a lap or two, sensibly around Citta di Aria, Costa di Amalfi or Cote d' Azur, then give it full beans trying my hardest to do the perfect lap without crashing, before winding down with a sensible cooldown lap, before parking up outside a nice looking property, which along with the car, i'd dream of owning in real life. I know that may sound sad to some people, but for me it's a great escape from actual reality.
And for me, that is what the core of TDU should be about.
The racing aspect is a cool thing to have, but give me something mildly believable, like occasional impromptu street racing, or a dedicated track day or something within that realm. Something where there aren't planes doing a fly pass and fireworks going off.

Anyway, i know i'm mindlessly rambling again, but as bad and as corny as TDU2's Solar Crown narrative is, i actually think it could fit pretty well if the game were set in Monaco. I think there's just the right mix of bizarre and superficial to make it work somehow, even if it's mega cheesy.

I think you're right about not necessarily needing a heavily developed roleplay/immersion/narrative. I too very much enjoyed Genki's TXR series, which was indeed very linear, but ever so addictive. In fact i'd go as far to say that it's still the best street/highway racing game ever produced, as to me it felt like it was based around a fairly believable scenario. (Not that it was without its flaws).

Also, it's funny you should mention about GTA SA. I haven't played it in over a decade, but one of my favourite pastimes was taking a removal truck to go burgle properties in the hills, then taking my favourite car for a long drive down to LV, to win money at blackjack (the gambling seemed so much easier to win back then).

I too really hope KT Games emphasises the roleplaying aspect of the TDU series. And although the Solar Crown thing will obviously be based around racing, i hope there will still be enough there, to keep people like myself who just want to cruise and take it all in (even creating my own narrative), somewhat happy.

Actually, to touch even further into why i like a game such as TDU so much, it actually stems from playing GT4. Sometimes i used to just take a road car and drive it for a lap or two, sensibly around Citta di Aria, Costa di Amalfi or Cote d' Azur, then give it full beans trying my hardest to do the perfect lap without crashing, before winding down with a sensible cooldown lap, before parking up outside a nice looking property, which along with the car, i'd dream of owning in real life. I know that may sound sad to some people, but for me it's a great escape from actual reality.
The racing aspect is a cool thing to have, but give me something mildly believable, like occasional impromptu street racing, or a dedicated track day or something within that realm. Something where there aren't planes doing a fly pass and fireworks going off.

Anyway, i know i'm mindlessly rambling again, but as bad and as corny as TDU2's Solar Crown narrative is, i actually think it could fit pretty well if the game were set in Monaco. I think there's just the right mix of bizarre and superficial to make it work somehow, even if it's mega cheesy.

Your admission of parking up outside properties isn't sad at all. I think there's a genuine yearning for petrolheads to have a proper driving lifestyle game - maybe Octane or Evo should get on board with a video game where it's as much about the vistas and experience of 6-7/10s driving and not just racing about.

This got me thinking a little bit. There's probably a 2 axis (4 quadrant) chart that could be made to plot Role Playing quality (y axis) and driving mechanics (x axis). Quadrant 1 is the kind of story based driving games that have limited driving satisfaction (GTA, Mafia further to the left, TXR, the Crew, NFS games closer to the center). Quadrant 3 is the domain of the pure arcade racers, things like Blur and Wipeout. Quadrant 4 is the racing sims. Quadrant 2 is where I want to be. TDU and FH are probably the only games that live here, but only just. TDU's weak driving mechanics put it just right of center, and FH's weak world building put it just above center.

@Nessy -- Growing up, I did the thing where you try following the traffic laws in a game on open roads/streets. Cops in The Need for Speed wouldn't initiate a chase, so it actually meant more uninterrupted driving in that one. Midtown Madness was another early title that was ideal for that kind of diversion.

I don't do that so often as an adult, of course, but I just love driving, and I always have. My passion is not really about racing; that's just an activity to do with driving.

@Eunos_Cosmo -- IMHO, there's a lot to be explored in role-playing mechanics and settings besides just telling a story. I consider SnowRunner to be more of a driving RPG than a NFS title, for example. There are all kinds of RPGs where other forms of transportation get a spotlight, maybe as a core mechanic. They're practically never cars, with driving mechanics on par with the average racing game.

Almost never.

final_lap_twin.png

All I want is a sim car driving game, which doesn't seem like too much to ask but I understand it is a niche of a niche. I don't care about story or customisable characters, houses or even cars. I'd be happy with just a short list of well curated cars and a big beautiful open road (with some traffic).

I really enjoy drving around in The Crew 2 using my G29 wheel and the stock drift RX-7 trying to drift around every corner. It is so satisfying finding fun new roads and pulling off a smooth run. It feels almost like what a simcade Outrun game could be.

I feel like there is a great game underneath The Crew 2 but it is ruined by it's game elements. It has been observed by many that the big long races that actually explore some of the map are the most fun. I wonder if a Cannonball Run style gameplay mode over the game could be really good.

I don't care about story or customisable characters, houses or even cars. I'd be happy with just a short list of well curated cars and a big beautiful open road (with some traffic).

I really enjoy drving around in The Crew 2 using my G29 wheel and the stock drift RX-7 trying to drift around every corner. It is so satisfying finding fun new roads and pulling off a smooth run. It feels almost like what a simcade Outrun game could be.

I feel like there is a great game underneath The Crew 2 but it is ruined by it's game elements. It has been observed by many that the big long races that actually explore some of the map are the most fun. I wonder if a Cannonball Run style gameplay mode over the game could be really good.

I enjoy the Crew 2 as well. Initially I was put off by the "story" mode and all the corny characters. But the long races are a lot of fun. I would like to see more really long rally/off road races. The little circuits in rallyX are fairly boring. Another thing which I dislike and don't understand, is the absence of any option to remap the controller settings. I normally use manual gears in racing games but the configuration in Crew 2 is unusable for me so I have to go with automatic. I also think that an opportunity was missed to create really great air races - there could have been vast checkpoint races going all over the map. Instead we get fiddly little events going up and down the same narrow course through little gates.

Spent a couple days writing a video that contains all my thoughts on this game if anyone is interested!

Nicely covered! 👍

I really hope Kylotonn captures the true Essence of what makes a TDU game in the upcoming release. It's all well and good having exotic cars on a large open-world map, but what will really get me excited for Solar Crown is if they manage to execute the sheer scope TDU2 had (i.e. all the benefits and features you listed) without the poor execution of that game.

Right now, my main concern is finding out which features from previous games haven't made the cut in TDU3.

In all honesty, this is that one game I've been waiting for before I can splurge on a next-gen console, (Still haven't decided which one to go for)

I've been playing TDU1 Platinum edition religiously for almost a year now and TDU2 re-install is only a click away, so yeah, I'm kinda biased on this one.

However, it'd be a lie to say my hopes on this one is sky-high. Temper one's expectations, so that the resulting disappointment won't be so harsh later...

All I want is a sim car driving game, which doesn't seem like too much to ask but I understand it is a niche of a niche. I don't care about story or customisable characters, houses or even cars. I'd be happy with just a short list of well curated cars and a big beautiful open road (with some traffic).

AC on PC with mods can do all that for you. There's a traffic mod as well but obviously as it's not an open world game it's limited in its behaviour.

As for TD, I played the hell out of TD4-6 and TDOR3 on PS1, but strangely never got into the Unlimited series. By the time I tried out TDU1 it was already deep in the PS3 generation and it looks dated. Sure the map is big but it feels empty and the handling is a bit wonky. Tried TDU2 and the handling is even worse. Will probably miss this one unless it's really something groundbreaking or has good handling (not asking for a sim, but something similar to Driver SF would be enough).

Last edited:
Tdu 1 was going to feature Lotec until it got cut. I really do hope less known brands are present in the new game.

Last edited:
This guys says that game will be set in Tenerife. It seems quite plausible and I really hope it's true now because it seems like the ideal location. Bigger than Oahu and very similar in terms of geography.

This guys says that game will be set in Tenerife. It seems quite plausible and I really hope it's true now because it seems like the ideal location. Bigger than Oahu and very similar in terms of geography.

Tenerife would be a great location

Tenerife.jpg

Things-to-do-in-Tenerife.jpg

depositphotos_245378616-stock-video-aerial-survey-roads-tenerife-canary.jpg

If TDU3 is expected to release next year, I hope it is either given a Q2 or Q3 2022 release window. Any later and it is likely to face stiff competition from Gran Turismo 7, Forza Motorsport and Need For Speed 2022 for holiday sales.

Latest Posts

Back