A new triple monitor build

• Thread starter Croy9000
  • 25 comments
United States
United States
Hey guys. My first post here, been lurking for awhile. I wanted to introduce myself, and get opinions on the setup I am looking into.

So first let me say, I am not a racer in real life, but have always loved cars. Had an IROC Z back in the day, recently a Mustang Shelby GT350, and various others. I have also never done sim racing seriously (though I still have a 10-year old ACT Labs Force RS belt driven wheel in the closet, I loved that thing).

Anyhow, I recently got the bug to get back into sim racing. I should probably ease my way into it, buying some cheap gear to get my feet wet. But...call it a personality defect, I never go into anything half hearted (making me half stupid?). Im fortunate enough that I am at a point in life where I can afford to splurge on hobbies every now and again (though I am trying to balance this new obsession with my new hobby of metal machining with a mini mill and lathe, another story...).

So. I have been reading and researching for 3 weeks now. I think my goal is to have a triple 27" monitor cockpit system. So here are the parts I am contemplating:
  • Forza Motorsport Wheel Bundle (ClubSport V2 Servo, V3 Pedals, Shifter SQ, etc)
  • Obutto Ozone Cockpit
  • 3x Samsung CFG70 27" 1ms 1080p 144Hz Curved Monitors
I already have a computer, but it needs upgrading. I would end up with:
  • Intel Core i5 7600K
  • 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM
  • Single EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW
Any thoughts or input here before I stop over the edge?

Note about cockpit:

I'm just selecting a very basic cockpit. I'm a hobby maker/fabricator so an 80/20 build seems the way to go for customization. Though building would delay me in jumping into the driving part for awhile. So getting a prefab would also give me something to form opinions around. Also later I would love to get into custom motion, but thats much later.

I guess I should mention what games I might play. Initially Assetto Corsa and Project Cars, then when I get the skill and balls, iRacing.

I think you should build your own setup. It's much more satisfying, more cost-effective and will suit you exactly. If you are already in to fabrication then it's not hard. I made mine out of mild steel rhs and welded it all. If I was to do it again I'd probably use 80/20.

As for the gear, I've been using the CSWV2 for ages and I love it. I'm using a modified set of the V2 pedals and I'm happy with them so I imagine you will be impressed with the V3s, although I'd recommend the extra brake dampers from what I've heard.

Check out the DSD gear if you want a sequential shifter as well. I love mine to bits.

I was fairly interested in sim racing a while ago, had a Logitech G25 and a PS3 playing GT6 on an old tv. Once I built my triple screen rig and started using Assetto and iRacing it really sucked me in. I feel you will probably have the same experience.

IMG_20161212_205241_zpskbizqtlg.jpg

IMG_20170108_172129_039_zpsne1jgcmo.jpg

IMG_20170108_170402_487_zpsnhfkdnwy.jpg

There you go mate, hopefully it gives you some ideas.

So tonight I got my orders in. I made some changes after more research.
  • Thrustmaster TS-PC (with the Fanatec Clubsport Pedals and Shift)
  • GT Omega Pro Supreme RS9 Cockpit
I Switched to the GT Omega because I had a very poor experience talking to the US Obutto dealer on two occasions this week, very disappointed. People seem pretty happy with the GT Omega so going that route.

As I mentioned I will eventually look into custom building a cockpit. But I have a lot to learn befor I get started.

No need for 144hz for all three monitors. No graphics card to date will be able to run 3 x 144hz monitors at 1080p (talking about racing games at max settings - I am assuming since he is buying a gtx 1080). Even the not so demanding iRacing. Totally forget about AC, pCars running at 144hz on all 3 monitors. If you really want to "try" and get close to 144hz, max settings on sim racing games then I would suggest 1080 x 2 SLI.

I would just check your graphics card by the way and see even if that is possible. Some graphics card ships with the wrong output options and you will not reach 144hz (though you cant) unless you buy additional adapters etc.

You said you want to go "all in" and not to do things half hearted. That is personally up to you. But the items you mentioned are not "all in"

For example, I thought i went all in a few years ago and also bought a bunch of Fanatec product. Reliability issues aside (everyone is going to have a different story - My story is I am not buying them again, caveat MY opinion here), I finally went "all in" with my purchase of HE pedals.

There is a number of better gear than what you have listed.
So in terms of pedals, I am no guru, but a few top end products would be HE pedals, HPP pedals, DSD pedals..
For wheels if you want all in then it would be direct drive ones, make your own or go with the likes of Bodnar, or Accuforce
For shifters the all in opinions are stuff like Frex, DSD...
Pretty sure others with more knowledge can list a few more.

I would say Fanatec stuff are the high end of mid range setups. They are in no way, "all in" and they are no way close to even the best stuff out there.

In terms of CPU, that is overkill. The incremental higher CPU performance from your chipset to something less say an i5 XXXXK isn't going to much at all. It is all about the GPU.

As for GPU you could even potentially wait, as the 1080ti "should" be just around the corner going off their usual release schedules.

If you have endless money just keep your PC setup as it is and go for the all in high end sim racing gear (you said you dont want to dip your toes).
If you have some budget issues, I'd rather go less on the monitors, go less on the CPU and spend that amount saved on better sim gear.

Last edited:
I still haven't won the lottery. :(

I hear ya, just simply replying to the opening poster saying he is going "all in". Just making sure he knows there is a "god tier" of racing gear above his.

I too did the mistake 5 years ago thinking Fanatec was the "god tier"/"all in" when it clearly wasn't....it was far far far from it.

If you want a glimpse of god tier, check sim racing garage on youtube. He does a lot of reviews on god tier items and his setup is...god tier...

I am slowly approaching this. After my purchase of HE pedals I am waiting on the info from Fanatec/thrustmaster on their DD offerings before deciding what wheel to go.

Thanks for the input swiftwilly, some great food for thought. Yeah I guess I should clarify that in my case "all in" was from the perspective of someone with practically no experience with sims, and not just simply staring with low end gear to get my feel wet. I do realize I could spend significantly more on gear. My goal was to pick wheel/pedals that would do higher end racing games justice.

You are right about 144Hz monitors. I was very surprised to learn in my research just how hard it is to drive triple monitors at higher settings. Which is why I stopped searching for 1440p monitors, and looked specifically for 1080p monitors (less pixels). The 1080p monitors I found that I liked (curved) just happened to be 144Hz. They will be fine even if I am sending less frames. At least I will be a little future proof if the 1080ti is able to drive them at that rate.

My goal with the selections is a reasonably priced setup that will let me start forming some opinions on what I like and dont. Either I will love what I picked, or it gives me a base to take suggestions like the gear you mentioned into future consideration.

Last edited:
I hear ya, just simply replying to the opening poster saying he is going "all in". Just making sure he knows there is a "god tier" of racing gear above his.

I too did the mistake 5 years ago thinking Fanatec was the "god tier"/"all in" when it clearly wasn't....it was far far far from it.

If you want a glimpse of god tier, check sim racing garage on youtube. He does a lot of reviews on god tier items and his setup is...god tier...

I am slowly approaching this. After my purchase of HE pedals I am waiting on the info from Fanatec/thrustmaster on their DD offerings before deciding what wheel to go.

LOL! :D F1 teams have the god tier. I don't think it works online though. ;)

Thanks for the input swiftwilly, some great food for thought. Yeah I guess I should clarify that in my case "all in" was from the perspective of someone with practically no experience with sims, and not just simply staring with low end gear to get my feel wet. I do realize I could spend significantly more on gear. My goal was to pick wheel/pedals that would do higher end racing games justice.

You are right about 144Hz monitors. I was very surprised to learn in my research just how hard it is to drive triple monitors at higher settings. Which is why I stopped searching for 1440p monitors, and looked specifically for 1080p monitors (less pixels). The 1080p monitors I found that I liked (curved) just happened to be 144Hz. They will be fine even if I am sending less frames. At least I will be a little future proof if the 1080ti is able to drive them at that rate.

My goal with the selections is a reasonably priced setup that will let me start forming some opinions on what I like and dont. Either I will love what I picked, or it gives me a base to take suggestions like the gear you mentioned into future consideration.

Generally speaking in terms of priority

1. Pedals
2. Monitor (triple screen)
3. Wheel
4. Shifter. Most wheels have paddle shifters and if you want to go fast these are much better than actual shifters. Actual shifters simply add to realism. Not speed.

I would skimp on the wheel. Go with a t500 or something much less then your fanatec setup and instead go with a top of the range pedals. HE pedals, HPP or DSD or something. Check out a few reviews. The ability to hit brake points right or get the precision in terms of throttle etc is paramount.

Your triples are fine. Graphics card same.

If you still want to change up the budgets Etc your CPU is absolutely overkill. If you can save here and still go for the fanatec wheel base go for it.

Hope that makes sense.

Other savings could come from the monitor. As long as it's 144hz 1080p. Unless you care about the brand of monitor you using.

The savings above I would also invest in a nice set of headphones. Sound purposes. The engine roar.

I am now starting my research for SimVibe and associated stuff. The two decisions are equipment and mounting.

For equipment I am thinking 2 Buttkicker Mini LFE's and a Behringer iNuke NU1000 DSP.

For mounting my initial thinking is getting two custom steel plates cut for under the seat to hold 2 Buttkicker Mini LFE. From my limited reading it seems the goal is to couple the Buttkicker's to the seat frame, while isolating the seat from the cockpit frame as best as possible. This is to ensure most vibration is sent into the chair, and not lost into the body/carpeted-floor. I would use two separate plates (L/R) to keep the tactile stereo-feel separated (is this a waste of time, or should I just focus on a mono experience at the center for now?).

I am now starting my research for SimVibe and associated stuff. The two decisions are equipment and mounting.

For equipment I am thinking 2 Buttkicker Mini LFE's and a Behringer iNuke NU1000 DSP.

For mounting my initial thinking is getting two custom steel plates cut for under the seat to hold 2 Buttkicker Mini LFE. From my limited reading it seems the goal is to couple the Buttkicker's to the seat frame, while isolating the seat from the cockpit frame as best as possible. This is to ensure most vibration is sent into the chair, and not lost into the body/carpeted-floor. I would use two separate plates (L/R) to keep the tactile stereo-feel separated (is this a waste of time, or should I just focus on a mono experience at the center for now?).
I find I get a much better experience from 2 kickers using one for bumps and such and the other for curbs and engine vibes (put shifter effect on both :sly:). The sound is separated right and left and I find thats enough to convince my brain the vibes are only on that side (seriously try it). I find separating the vibes by type helps them stand out better.

There a reason you didn't go with a VR build? I was a veteran triple screen racer until I tried VR at my local Best Buy. It's a total game changer, haven't used my triples since.

There a reason you didn't go with a VR build? I was a veteran triple screen racer until I tried VR at my local Best Buy. It's a total game changer, haven't used my triples since.

Great question. I did own an Oculus for a couple weeks (before I got this recent bug for racing games). While I LOVED the immersion aspect, I was not thrilled about the resolution, as well as the complex issue of designing immersive moving/teleporting around (which I think is the achilles heal of VR right now). Obviously teleporting is not a need in racing games, but I returned it before that as mentioned.

Also I battle with motion sickness with these games, and the Oculus racing would have been pretty tough for me with all the bouncing around in-game. I find myself having to close my eyes just to go into reverse as it is hah. Did you have an issue yourself with VR and racing?

All that said I do plan to give VR another go when generation 2 comes out. I actually look more forward to the entertainment/lifestyle aspects (concerts/movies/shopping/education) of VR more than the gaming side. Im excited for its future.

Great question. I did own an Oculus for a couple weeks (before I got this recent bug for racing games). While I LOVED the immersion aspect, I was not thrilled about the resolution, as well as the complex issue of designing immersive moving/teleporting around (which I think is the achilles heal of VR right now). Obviously teleporting is not a need in racing games, but I returned it before that as mentioned.

Also I battle with motion sickness with these games, and the Oculus racing would have been pretty tough for me with all the bouncing around in-game. I find myself having to close my eyes just to go into reverse as it is hah. Did you have an issue yourself with VR and racing?

All that said I do plan to give VR another go when generation 2 comes out. I actually look more forward to the entertainment/lifestyle aspects (concerts/movies/shopping/education) of VR more than the gaming side. Im excited for its future.

Good points. Yea on non racing games I too get a bit sick but I hardly use my Oculus for anything but sim racing, and it is a match made in heaven. At first I could only go 30 min or so before I had to take a break but now I've done 6 hour endurance races without any issues. A lot of it has to do with your graphics settings. Resolution is a step down if you're used to 1080p but with things like supersampling it really isn't all that bad. I have no problem hitting apex's and braking markers.

Still though I admit VR is in its infancy.

One other thing you might consider is Motion. I just added a Next Level V3 Motion Platform to my triple screen rig.

886B5181-697A-4A69-9A0A-C26C7FABC8EF.jpg

It adds a whole new level of immersion to the experience. Really makes you appreciate the forces acting on the car and particularly the bumpiness of the track surface. Where it really shines though is when I use in conjunction with my Vive. Being fully immersed in a 360 degree 3D world with Motion just makes you feel like your really in a racing car.

And one other thing you should defo check out is Mr Pix's website http://www.projectimmersion.com/ It's got lots of tips for an immersive experience and the FOV calculator is particularly good for working out the correct fov's for various game based on measurements taken from your own set up.

Last edited:
Instead of going triple screen you may want to consider the Acer Z35 or X34 21:9 monitors. Much easier to drive, still get some wrap around effect with side mirrors in view, and the panel quality is really good. Both are 30" + IIRC.

Back