AC/PS4... any good for casual online clean racing?PS4 

Hard to read some of this stuff...

Imagine a real race with no stewards. With no rules. When anyone in a car can get on track with you and there is NOTHING you can do about it. A ten year old in a Huracan...

If the idea of a 'sim' is to 'simulate' the sport of track racing, then yes, it MUST have the ability to remove disruptive or unqualified drivers. Just like real racing does.

Otherwise, it's an arcade game. Where little kids play. And grown-ups pretend it doesn't matter that they can.

Imagine a real race with no stewards. With no rules. When anyone in a car can get on track with you and there is NOTHING you can do about it. A ten year old in a Huracan...

If the idea of a 'sim' is to 'simulate' the sport of track racing, then yes, it MUST have the ability to remove disruptive or unqualified drivers. Just like real racing does.

Otherwise, it's an arcade game. Where little kids play. And grown-ups pretend it doesn't matter that they can.

To be kindly honest, it's also hard to read some of your stuff too; no offense.

"If the idea of a 'sim' is to 'simulate' the sport of track racing, then yes, it MUST have the ability to remove disruptive or unqualified drivers. Just like real racing does."
==> WRONG!
1- I've never seen anyone able to remove a disruptive or unqualified driver BY HIMSELF in real racing.
It's always a managers/stewards board that meets up for such decision; in that case, AC system makes the most sense because there's a voting system (just like real life stewards board). Yes we can argue about the needed percentage of votes to take action, but at least it's there!
2- This AC voting system also doesn't give the admin/game host the power to run a dictatorship in the lobby i.e. kick faster/better drivers or people that he simply didn't like, like we've seen many people complain about that in other games.
3- Games that allow such huge control from the admin in Public lobbies is simply beyond my understanding.
Public lobbies are meant to be that, public! No one has the RIGHT to determine who should remain or not! And THAT'S WHY there are private lobbies that can be set with or without passwords. This is where a wide admin control is understandable, because the racers probably know each other very well and that control will be used for some management of the lobby or the flow of things (skipping sessions, changing settings, etc...)

In the end, a SIM is a game trying hard to simulate real life experience. It might nail it on certain aspects and fail in others. No game will ever be perfect in all aspects, because in that case, it'll be Real Life.

I'm fashionably late to the party here as always, but going back to the OPs original question.
No.
If you want custom room names, the ability to kick, chat, text, and have real racing flag systems you have to go PC.
Which may or may not be on your mind but you currently don't have all those options in one sim on console.
Which is why I ditched consoles.

Pastor Maldonado raced in F1 for five seasons, I don't recall the stewards ever removing him from a race. I guess F1 is arcade.

maldo_3095887.jpg

AC was never conceived to simulate real life racing series, it was conceived with the idea in mind that it would simulate realistic handling of a dozen cars and a handful of tracks. They then added more as the customer base and exposure grew. If they added all the things that you say would turn it from arcade to SIM, I could say err no, they don't simulate the crowd properly. They don't simulate people going to get burgers, going for a piss. They don't simulate grid girls ( yes please ). They don't simulate the chaos on the grid at the start of the race. The game is obviously arcade.

If the idea of a 'sim' is to 'simulate' the sport of track racing, then yes,
Well as you will now know if you read my post above. The idea never was to simulate the sport of track racing. Their next game however, is. Hence why it will have the rules pertaining to the Blancpain series.

Pastor Maldonado raced in F1 for five seasons, I don't recall the stewards ever removing him from a race. I guess F1 is arcade.

maldo_3095887.jpg
lmao.

So, no-one has heard of black flags..? OK. :rolleyes:

The problem with AC's vote system is, it has to be unanimous before anything can be done. No real race series makes ALL the drivers agree before anything is done. It is done by a handful of stewards, none of whom are even in the car. All of whom get a good review of the incident.

Obviously, in a game, that can't be done. In a casual room (not an organized league, where you can permanently kick a member before the next race and the room's password changed with only the room's admin's say so, no vote required), getting a unanimous kick vote from people who may not have even seen the incident is unlikely at best.

The way it actually works in GT is, the host gets kick privileges. No need to rely on room consensus. This is the only sensible way it works. I realize some find it very difficult to accept that a game they like playing has faults, but the lack of a way to get disruptive elements from a room other than unanimous consensus is ridiculous.

IRL, there is a racing license (which can be revoked), there are black flags, there are race suspensions, there are countless ways in which real racing, even if just for safety's sake, can rid themselves of irresponsible drivers. A game without this ability cannot call itself a sim of the sport. And sorry, but racing is FAR more than just 'driving'.

Perhaps it's just me, but I figure a game that puts cars (mostly race cars) onto a race track is a 'racing' game. This isn't an open world casual 'driving' game. You aren't driving around a city, hitting pedestrians. You aren't exploring an open world looking for powerups. You are on a race track, with other competitors, trying to get around a certain number of laps faster than anyone else. Is it just me, or does that sound an awful lot like racing?!

And please, do we really need Maldonado as an example? Follow that logic, and look at how many F1 drivers HAVE had suspensions, or lost their drive through stupidity. Every form of racing has the ability to rid itself of the dangerous and disruptive.

What Kunos have made is a soccer game, where the referee cannot do anything about a player that picks up the ball and runs it into the net and claims a goal. Unless every last player on the field agrees with him. And what we have on this thread is players that, realizing that the referee cannot give a red card to that player, have decided to call the soccer game a 'ball game' rather than face the truth.

Last edited:
You're not getting the other point of view. Yes, giving some special abilities for the room admin is good but can also be used in a bad way.

The good stuff are more like practical aspects while the bad stuff are more like philosophical aspects!
Who gives you the right to determine what's right or what's wrong?!
Who gives you the right to be the judge?!
Who can say that your moral compass is right?! What's right anyways?!
Who can guarentee that you will use that privilege to get rid of competition?!
etc...

I know probably most of those don't apply to you as to most of us in here in this forum.
But it's just the other side of the coin.

I'm not defending AC; yes their system is lacking but it at least gives the option to take action, by voting. And I've seen people getting kicked out of public rooms many times. So it happens when the general atmosphere in the lobby is clean racing. When it's not?! You have to leave and find another healthy lobby.

GTS and PC2 are probably better than AC in those aspects and in public online lobbies; not due of privileges given to lobbies admins, but due to the great ranking/rating system. Now that I am an A rated driver, I pretty much enjoy the vast majority of public PC2 lobbies, because I chose high rated lobbies only. Same goes for GTS which I'm lately not playing at all.

Abusive hosts are easy to deal with. Never join their rooms again. Won't be long before they either cease abusing the players, or find themselves always in a one car room.

Abusive drivers are MUCH harder to rid ourselves of. Take the scenario that two trolls join a room as friends. They are now impossible to get rid of.

Taking on the responsibility of hosting SHOULD give you the ability to run the room as you see fit. 'With great responsibility should come great power'..!

GTS has an online lobby system just like AC's. You are confusing Sport Mode, where ranking determines grid, with open online rooms, where ranking has no factor unless the host sets it that way.

I am S rated on PC2, and have seen thug driving (and a refusal to acknowledge that PC2's collision physics are VERY much more disaster inducing than GTS's, so even mild rubbing can result in a spin) in rooms rated A and S... And now PC2 has followed AC down the rabbit hole and dropped host kick rather than address the few abusive situations. All they needed to do was remove the points penalty for being kicked (which benefited the host's rating) and allow hosts to set a shorter qualy to race timer so the little ADHD weenies weren't kicking out of haste, and 90% of the abusive kicking would have stopped.

But no, it's easier to ruin the game for everyone else than get off their lazy butts and do some proper coding...

It is beginning to look a lot like GT6 was the zenith of online racing, and rather than copy a successful online system, AC, PC2 and to a certain extent even GTS have decided that what worked perfectly in the past isn't good enough.

I really hate the unlimited practice/hotlap mentality of AC players, it is getting frustrating and nearly impossible to find races anymore.

Public 16-player league practice rooms are the worst, they remain full & active everyday... (Few being league members, if any.)

How is it that every race room is empty after every race... It's ok to hotlap for hours in a single session, but never ever do the same quick race twice! (or once...)

Average race waiting time must be ~6h.

Last edited:
Yeah I fully agree @Knukel. I actually stopped looking for public lobbies in AC. I gave up completely on it. Whenever I wanna play some AC, I just hope on to some special event or some TT from some of the communities I'm in.

PC2 isn't much better either. For some reason, I struggle to find a good join-able non-GT3 public lobby. 3/4 of the displayed lobbies are already racing (same goes for AC).

I wonder why no game has an option to filter out all those races that already started! Why the hell do I need to see those if it already started and I can't join?!?
Well at least GTS has an option to display only the servers where a friend is racing there! Great feature! AC and PC2 need those! All 3 need to filter out ongoing races!

And now PC2 has followed AC down the rabbit hole and dropped host kick rather than address the few abusive situations. All they needed to do was remove the points penalty for being kicked (which benefited the host's rating) and allow hosts to set a shorter qualy to race timer so the little ADHD weenies weren't kicking out of haste, and 90% of the abusive kicking would have stopped.

Game devs are some of the most clever & simultaneously stupid people I've ever had the misfortune to encounter! They have practically no experience of racing online, nor of trying to host clean public lobbies; so they have no idea how to do it & what tools are needed. They also seem to be lacking the humility/desire to be able to listen to those who do & learn something from them. Then, as a result, the "solutions" they come up with end up making things 10x worse! Why on earth would you design a game so that a host got a benefit from kicking someone! Is there no option to turn off the rating system for online lobbies? Stupid stupid stupid!

It is beginning to look a lot like GT6 was the zenith of online racing...

Imho it was GT5; the Shuffle racing feature made finding quick to enter races so easy. I did like that GT6 added the ability to see who was in a room before you entered though, that was a nice touch.

VBR
Game devs are some of the most clever & simultaneously stupid people I've ever had the misfortune to encounter! They have practically no experience of racing online, nor of trying to host clean public lobbies; so they have no idea how to do it & what tools are needed. They also seem to be lacking the humility/desire to be able to listen to those who do & learn something from them. Then, as a result, the "solutions" they come up with end up making things 10x worse! Why on earth would you design a game so that a host got a benefit from kicking someone! Is there no option to turn off the rating system for online lobbies? Stupid stupid stupid!

Imho it was GT5; the Shuffle racing feature made finding quick to enter races so easy. I did like that GT6 added the ability to see who was in a room before you entered though, that was a nice touch.
Agree about GT5. Shuffle racing was great. Not one single time did I successfully start a quick race in GT6.

Agree about GT5. Shuffle racing was great. Not one single time did I successfully start a quick race in GT6.

That's sad to hear. I ran some good lobbies on GT6, with a Shuffle style approach. But, you had to choose a car manually which slowed things up considerably. It was fun, but nowhere near as much as GT5's Shuffle Race mode.

VBR
That's sad to hear. I ran some good lobbies on GT6, with a Shuffle style approach. But, you had to choose a car manually which slowed things up considerably. It was fun, but nowhere near as much as GT5's Shuffle Race mode.
GT6 was pure trash for me. I did have some enjoyable online races but overall I have a real bad opinion of it. Those quick races just pissed me off and ensured PD had to make a 10/10 game for me to buy the next edition.

I do have GTS but have no desire to play it. I've played a bit of it but find it boring and I begrudge having to play it against my will just to buy paints and cars for the livery editor. Which is the one feature I do enjoy.

I do have GTS but have no desire to play it. I've played a bit of it but find it boring and I begrudge having to play it against my will just to buy paints and cars for the livery editor. Which is the one feature I do enjoy.

I hear ya, you're a man after my own heart! I hate the whole mileage grind, that XP nonsense, & all the other mindless bumf that slows me down from doing what I want to do. I only bought it a couple of weeks ago, & I'm already frustrated/bored with it. They tyre model is also really bad, what with all that wheelspin in 4th gear in certain cars! I only caved in & bought it to see the Nord in all it's current gen PD glory, but even that's locked away behind a grind wall now, & I still haven't unlocked it.

With GT5 I could fire up the game, go straight into an online Shuffle lobby, & be racing with clean gentlemen racers within minutes. Didn't need cars, or tunes, or anything else doing; it was simples. They've managed to turn an elegant online experience into one I don't care for anymore. Well done PD, well done!

AC's online is threadbare, & P CARS ain't much better. Like @simsimsheree implied, the glory days are well & truly over...

:(

I'm thinking about getting assetto corsa for my PS4 but I would like to know how many people still play the online on a regular basis? I would hate to spend $40 on the game and then find out that the multiplayer is about dead.

I would like to know how many people still play the online on a regular basis?

During "prime time" here in EU region, there's around 100 players average, I'd say it's even more active than lobbies in Pcars2 or GTS... The activity will mostly be free running and drifting, actual racing is hard to find.

Can't really say how active it is over there during day time... :/

P.S. It's my favorite driving game, but i wouldn't recommend it for 40$ now after two years. (With or without all the DLCs)

Last edited:
I think some are confusing GT6's Quick Race with host run lobby systems. TBH, Quick Race was the moron parent of todays excremental GTS Sport Mode. Any room that relies on either automated stewarding, or no stewarding at all is doomed to failure.

Yes, I loved Shuffle Mode too, particularly with the combination of reverse grid for each race and the weighting of slower cars for the winners of each race. It was subtle, and helped even out rooms but didn't cripple completely the better drivers. With skill and patience, you could nurse a lower power car to the podium. Mind you, weak draft (not the GT6 'real' setting) helped as well. Without that, it was a lot tougher to get a pig car through traffic!

However, I found the better grip and roll model in GT6 made up for the loss of Shuffle, plus all the new cars and tracks... I used to race in some of the rooms that tried to simulate it, but it took a lot more work, reliance on websites to provide a list of cars you HAD to buy (and some of those lists were not very well balanced), which reduced their casual racer cred.

But if anyone is confusing GT6 Quick Mode with proper well run online lobbies, you missed out completely on what is, without question, the high point of online racing. I never got a good race in Quick Mode even once, and PD should have monitored it and realized how bad a foundation for Sport Mode it was going to be.

Back