Votes: 30 38.5%

• Total voters

Dennisch

Humongous member
Premium
Netherlands
Hilversum
Dennisch
All we talk about is the Middle East and Ukraine when we talk about war/conflicts, and perhaps some of the northern African countries.

Africa has Boko Haram wreaking havoc in several countries. Ebola is still a massive threat, poverty is what we think of when we think of Africa. For every nutcase dictator who gets punted out of power, 5 idiotic tribal leaders stand up.

Is it because we are just tired of Africa's woes? I know I am. All my life I've been told kids are starving, all my life I've seen charity raising silly money, not to speak of the amounts of money going their way as financial aid by a lot of governments around the globe.

What's your opinion?

Last edited:
Western humanitarian aid gets thrown at those already in a comfortable position
You do know that aid is given to assist those in need, and not to line the pockets of leaders, right? Sure, it gets misused, but if you try to bypass the government, you get accused of undermining the existing leaders (many of whom are in a precarious position to begin with) and of trying to influence the country in an underhanded way. The Chinese tried to get around government corruption by building, staffing and maintaining hospitals of Tanzania, making sure that the people got the health care that they needed whilst ensuring that every yuan they spent was spent properly, but they had to shut the program down because there were concerns from neighbouring states that they were trying to wage a form of economic warfare.

Those ads on TV aren't helping either. Watching Discovery Channel or NatioGeo, you see some African child dying every 15 minutes. I pretty much don't care anymore, if I ever did.. It's more irritating than ever before.

With all the corruption and so many rich people in the world, I really don't feel the need to throw my own money at it.

You do know that aid is given to assist those in need, and not to line the pockets of leaders, right? Sure, it gets misused, but if you try to bypass the government, you get accused of undermining the existing leaders (many of whom are in a precarious position to begin with) and of trying to influence the country in an underhanded way. The Chinese tried to get around government corruption by building, staffing and maintaining hospitals of Tanzania, making sure that the people got the health care that they needed whilst ensuring that every yuan they spent was spent properly, but they had to shut the program down because there were concerns from neighbouring states that they were trying to wage a form of economic warfare.
Undermining the leaders. :lol:

Here's a random showerthought of mine... maybe if Mugabe and friends weren't so incompetent, maybe we wouldn't be undermining them as often as we do now. :D

In my opinion, Africa should be the richest, best place to be in the whole world. So what's the problem? Wild animals. Wild humans are pretty bad too. But, hey, you want to talk about a continent dominated by violence. Beasts run roughshod over crops, kill people and eachother. Insects plague the land and the people. Then you have war and genocide. It's great land, but it's cursed.

Of course Africa isn't forgotten. It's the place with Egypt, Lethal Weapon villains and that giant hole Bono asks you to throw money into every year.

It's clear that no one gives a rats ass about what happens in Africa, at least below the Sahara, so it's up to me to revive this thread!

Just in the last couple of days suicide bombers claimed up to 100 lives in Nigeria alone, but nothing about it on GTP.

So, fellow members and SJW's. Still nothing?

It is wrong not to care. Yes, the news will make money talking about Syria and Israel and Russia, and news of Africas troubles go forgotten because we are used to seeing it. But does that mean we should not care? Of course not. Everytime a person dies, be it at the hands of a bomber, gunman, corrupt soldier or due to famine and illness as we often see in the African continent, we should care and we should feel it. Maybe we've just become so used to it that African lives do not mean as much to us as European or American? If so, shame on us. Shame.

This is pretty much how it seems..

986641Trlised.jpg

Africa's problems are self-inflicted e.g. the continent is a prime example of what happen when you have too much government meddling in the economy... it breed too much corruption thus stagnating real economic growth and freedom. The foreign aid which have been wasted on the continent make it all the more visible.

That said, like how Asia went from a being backwater/economically stagnant continent that endured some of the worst forms of imperialism to now an economic powerhouse likewise Africa can be same. Sadly African leaders are going to consistently blame colonialism/imperialism for their problems rather than take responsibility for their situation.

I honestly never cared about any Country Tragedy to be honest. It is sad to see what they go through but I don't feel too attach to any Countries problems.

That being said, I do support helping of countries that are struggling.

I honestly never cared about any Country Tragedy to be honest. It is sad to see what they go through but I don't feel too attach to any Countries problems.

That being said, I do support helping of countries that are struggling.

I think on a personal level it isn't about helping the countries but helping the people. I care little for many countries' government systems or cultures but I do care about human lives and human lives should be the focus of attention not countries per se.

There's an ongoing hostage situation at a hotel in Mali's capital, Bamako: BBC

This is just horrible. What the hell is wrong with people =(

Boko Haram overtakes ISIS as world's deadliest terror group, report says

I think there's a sort of competition, sick as it is, going on between Boko Haram, El Queda and ISIS. Boko is now in the lead and I think they wake up every morning, click on their internet favourites to find out what ISIS has done recently, and the set about their business of killing people. I see no solution for people this sick and depraved other than life in prison or death.

Back