Africa!

• Yes, I want to help them!

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • Meh!

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • No. I'm done.

Votes: 30 38.5%

• Total voters
Cape Town on course to be the world's first major city to run out of water, according the article. Which will be the 2nd?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ty-south-africa-90-days-drought-a8164141.html

Cape Town may become the first large city in the world to run out of water, as officials warn there are fewer than 90 days left before the supply runs dry.

The city’s mayor Patricia De Lille said residents had until 22 April until “day zero”, when authorities have estimated the water supply will be finished if residents do not scale back their usage.

As a result, officials have introduced strict measures to limit the consumption of available water, including capping usage at 87 litres per person per day.

The crisis is the result of three years of low rainfall and drought, coupled with a growing population and an increase in water consumption.

Storage levels in dams serving the coastal South African city dropped to below 30 per cent, but once the dams reach 13.5 per cent capacity the municipal water supply will be turned off for all but essential services, such as supplies to hospitals.

If the taps are turned off, residents will be required to travel to one of the 200 municipal water points across the city to collect a maximum ration of 25 litres per day.

Any African-Americans here, leave North America for Africa? If so, how has your experience been since leaving?
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/african-americans-moving-africa-180116092736345.html
Interesting that they say it isn't easy in Ghana but they feel safe, when the murder rate as a whole is 4x that of the United States. This quote gives me some perspective:lol:
"You might not have electricity, but you won't get killed by the police either."

The crisis is the result of three years of low rainfall and drought, coupled with a growing population and an increase in water consumption.

oh shocking news, there is only certain amount of people the land can support

Interesting that they say it isn't easy in Ghana but they feel safe, when the murder rate as a whole is 4x that of the United States. This quote gives me some perspective:lol:

She is probably racist that cannot stand living as a minority in the US. :lol:

But she might be onto something as this quote implies
"There are also plenty of privileged Ghanaians; if you take away race there's a class system."

They apparently only have 30,000 officers for a total population over 24,000,000 over 92,000 square miles. For comparison the Metropolitan Police in England has 32,000 officers for just 8 million people over 609 square miles.

So sure you may not get shot by a cop, but chances are one won’t show up when someone else does either. :scared:

Zuma is out, Ramaphosa has taken his place and one of his first major actions will be a to pull a Mugabe.

Take farms and land away from the whites and give it to the blacks. That worked out so well in Zimbabwe.

Well it seems that’s what happens when you listen to Black Lives Matter. :lol: You become so paranoid about a relative non-threat that you’re willing to give up electricity and actual safety to avoid it.

Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda are threatened by city-sized swarms of locusts eating crops and pasture. This is the worst plague of locusts in generations, and could get even worse.

There's only been confirmed cases in Algeria and Egypt so far, which either means it's nowhere else because most people are too poor to fly around the world, or it is more widespread but they lack the means to effective notice/test for it because they have enough other illnesses on their plate already.

When coronavirus takes hold in some of the poorer African nations I fear it will be catastrophic.

You think a hyped up flu will be catastrophic to Africa? They have real issues to worry about, like 200 million cases of malaria. Not our little first-world panic attack.

Edit: AIDS and Malaria took a little less than a million Africans in 2018 (based on the estimates I've seen).

Source. Source. Source.

Last edited:
You think a hyped up flu will be catastrophic to Africa? They have real issues to worry about, like 200 million cases of malaria. Not our little first-world panic attack.

Edit: AIDS and Malaria took a little less than a million Africans in 2018 (based on the estimates I've seen).

Source. Source. Source.
There's a student living in my building, a Ghanaian chap, who I was chatting with one evening over some perfectly legal alternative smoking herbs, and he mentioned that he'd been surprised when he first moved to Germany how scared Europeans were of Malaria.

He recounted how most people he knew back home had gotten Malaria and they thought of it as an inconvenient, if sometimes violent type of flu.

Of course, I'm not trying to downplay the lethality of malaria here - it's one of the world's biggest killers, but it was an interesting perspective I'd never heard of before that it could be so baffling that Europeans would be scared of one of the world's deadliest pathogens.

Most of the modern infrastructure in Africa is said to be made by the Chinese and the economy depends on the Chinese very strongly. So this lawsuit looks unlikely to succeed.

Nigerian lawyers sue China for $200 billion over coronavirus damage

A group of Nigerian lawyers is suing China for the adverse effects of the coronavirus outbreak on the country and its citizens.

Recent reports said that the lawyers demand $200 billion in damages for the “loss of lives, economic strangulation, trauma, hardship, social disorientation, mental torture and disruption of the normal, daily existence of people in Nigeria,” according to a statement by the lead counsel, professor Epiphany Azinge (SAN), whose firm, Azinge and Azinge, is championing the action.

The lawyers established a two-phase action plan, as they will first go to the federal high court of Nigeria and, second, to persuade the government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to institute a state action against the People's Republic of China at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) at the Hague.

“The legal experts will be claiming damages to the tune of $200 billion and the Chinese government will be served through its Embassy in Nigeria,” Azinge said.

Previously, an Egyptian lawyer has pressed charges against Chinese President Xi Jinping, calling on his country to pay $10 trillion in damages caused by the novel coronavirus in Egypt.

Also, last week, the U.S. state of Missouri filed a lawsuit against the Chinese government over the coronavirus, alleging that the nation's officials are to blame for the global pandemic.
https://www.dailysabah.com/world/af...china-for-200-billion-over-coronavirus-damage

Haven't even heard much about covid in Africa. It seems to have avoided the brunt of it.

Haven't even heard much about covid in Africa. It seems to have avoided the brunt of it.
Maybe. It seems possible to me that sub-Saharan Africans and Indians may have hardier immune systems, living as they do so close to each other, and so far from the over-sanitized lifestyle prevalent in the developed West and East.

Back