Alabama Special Election 2017

I haven't followed the events of this election extremely closely, but reading through this thread, a couple kind of random questions spring to mind.

I actually don't have stats to back this up, but am I correct in assuming most blacks in America vote Democratic? If this is true, my question is - why?

Now, I understand on the surface that, when the Republican Party is represented by faces like Roy Moore, based on Moore's statements, a black voter would be inclined to vote Democrat. That said, an arguement I saw presented a while back (and I forget exactly where), was, ok, blacks don't vote Repliblican because Republicans are racist - but what exactly has the Democratic Party done for black people in America? The person presenting this arguement went on to point out examples - the municiple governments of Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Flint Mi, for example, have been Democrats for quite a long time, and based on observations of those cities, is there evidence that the Democratic Party actually has black people's (or poor people for that matter) best interests at heart?

To be clear, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this notion, and I would need to dig a little deeper into it to check facts and whatnot, but I do find it interesting. Basically the idea that, black people feel the Republicans have no love for them (and there's some evidence that could perhaps back this up), and feel that the Dems have their best interests at heart (which upon investigation, shows that may not actually be the case).

The second thing I'm curious about, and this is much more trivial, is that someone here said Moore was quoted in an article referring native Americans and Asians as reds and yellows. Again, not taking a stance for or against this language, I'm curious why red and yellow are socially unacceptable, yet black, white, and brown are socially acceptable?

Last edited:
I haven't followed the events of this election extremely closely, but reading through this thread, a couple kind of random questions spring to mind.

I actually don't have stats to back this up, but am I correct in assuming most blacks in America vote Democratic? If this is true, my question is - why?

Now, I understand on the surface that, when the Republican Party is represented by faces like Roy Moore, based on Moore's statements, a black voter would be inclined to vote Democrat. That said, an arguement I saw presented a while back (and I forget exactly where), was, ok, blacks don't vote Repliblican because Republicans are racist - but what exactly has the Democratic Party done for black people in America? The person presenting this arguement went on to point out examples - the municiple governments of Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Flint Mi, for example, have been Democrats for quite a long time, and based on observations of those cities, is there evidence that the Democratic Party actually has black people's (or poor people for that matter) best interests at heart?

To be clear, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this notion, and I would need to dig a little deeper into it to check facts and whatnot, but I do find it interesting. Basically the idea that, black people feel the Republicans have no love for them (and there's some evidence that could perhaps back this up), and feel that the Dems have their best interests at heart (which upon investigation, shows that may not actually be the case).

The second thing I'm curious about, and this is much more trivial, is that someone here said Moore was quoted in an article referring native Americans and Asians as reds and yellows. Again, not taking a stance for or against this language, I'm curious why red and yellow are socially unacceptable, yet black, white, and brown are socially acceptable?

"Most" blacks don't vote Democrat, they vote overwhelmingly Democrat by a massive margin. I believe I posted this chart which shows the figure (since the the Civil Rights movement) has varied from about 85% to over 90% in every Presidential election. Of course, if you believe M. LMS this is in no way reflective of the feelings in the African American community in general ... only of those who actually vote.

Black_Vote_Pres.jpg

Of course the chart also indicates that there was nothing particularly unusual about the recent Alabama election ... except this: that 1) there may have been a marginally higher turnout of black voters than usual in a non-Presidential election in Alabama and 2) an even higher percentage of black voters than usual voted Democrat. The combination of these two things may have proved decisive in what was a very close election.

As for the rest, I think the consequences of the United States history of racism are deeply ingrained & not easily "fixed". Democrats may not have a good record in advancing the position of blacks, but the vast majority of African Americans still seem to believe (only those who actually vote, you understand) that the Democratic party represents their interests better than the GOP.

I think the consequences of the United States history of racism are deeply ingrained & not easily "fixed". Democrats may not have a good record in advancing the position of blacks, but the vast majority of African Americans still seem to believe (only those who actually vote, you understand) that the Democratic party represents their interests better than the GOP.

The consequences are ingrained, what does this mean?

Neither party represents the interests of a single race better than the other, it's not their job to and it's political suicide. There are a portion of them who pander for votes based on welfare promises, so they represent themselves come election time as handouts beget handouts.

The consequences are ingrained, what does this mean?

Neither party represents the interests of a single race better than the other, it's not their job to and it's political suicide. There are a portion of them who pander for votes based on welfare promises, so they represent themselves come election time as handouts beget handouts.

You've just echoed a fairly common belief among the Republican base, that black voters are a bunch of greedy welfare chasers, yet you wonder why they feel that the Democrats represent their interests better? C'mon man, it ain't that hard of a mystery to solve.

You've just echoed a fairly common belief among the Republican base, that black voters are a bunch of greedy welfare chasers, yet you wonder why they feel that the Democrats represent their interests better? C'mon man, it ain't that hard of a mystery to solve.
Believing that Democrats and blacks are far more likely than Republicans or whites to have received food stamps at one point or another, for example, is a fact, probably why it is a common sentiment among Republican voters. Democrats pandering to them makes sense since they make up a decent percentage of their voting base.

Believing that Democrats and blacks are far more likely than Republicans or whites to have received food stamps at one point or another, for example, is a fact, probably why it is a common sentiment among Republican voters. Democrats pandering to them makes sense since they make up a decent percentage of their voting base.

You missed the point by a mile. The notion that black folks' voting habits ultimately come down to voting for whoever gives them more benefits is incredibly insulting. It perpetuates the stereotype that they're lazy and greedy.

I reckon far more black voters are pushed away from the GOP by sentiments like that, than are pulled away by "pandering" Democrat programs.

You missed the point by a mile. The notion that black folks' voting habits ultimately come down to voting for whoever gives them more benefits is incredibly insulting. It perpetuates the stereotype that they're lazy and greedy.

I reckon far more black voters are pushed away from the GOP by sentiments like that, than are pulled away by "pandering" Democrat programs.

I suspect blacks tend to vote more Democrat than Republican is due to many reasons. Sure there's probably some expecting handouts, but there are moochers of every race, color, and creed.

I think it really goes back to the 1940's when Democrats started supporting more civil rights policies. Also, when (I think) FDR desegregated the military it probably helped too. Since that was only a couple generations ago, blacks today probably still remember it fairly clear.

There's also a high number of blacks living in poor, urban areas. Whatever that reason may be is left up for debate, but typically anyone living in those areas tends to drift towards the more liberal policies of the Democrats since they don't feel like they can just "pull themselves up by their boot straps".

When looking at the south, the other big issue is that many of those who fit in as racists or are self-proclaimed white nationalists tend to be Republican. If I was a minority I wouldn't want anything to do with a party that's supported by people that think lynching me is ok just because of the color of my skin.

The civil rights thing though is probably the biggest reason blacks vote Democrat though.

The notion that black folks' voting habits ultimately come down to voting for whoever gives them more benefits is incredibly insulting.

To be fair, a lot of people vote for whoever gives them more benefits, on both sides of the aisle. Or maybe the party tends to give handouts based on who is voting for them? Probably it's both.

517-24.gif

I doubt the notion that people are being loyal to a party based on what happened half a century ago.

Edit:

This is why there is so much talk about the "middle class". It's effectively a swing state.

Most people vote for who gives them the most benefits that's how the world works. Not all stereotypes are incorrect.

Most people vote for who gives them the most benefits that's how the world works. Not all stereotypes are incorrect.
The lazy and greedy one is probably unhelpful though. How do rich black Americans who aren't on welfare vote? If it isn't overwhelmingly Republican then maybe it's not all about self-interest.

The lazy and greedy one is probably unhelpful though. How do rich black Americans who aren't on welfare vote? If it isn't overwhelmingly Republican then maybe it's not all about self-interest.
Rich Americans of all colours vote in their own self interest most of the time, same as everyone else. Lazy and greedy is unhelpful if it's applied to those that aren't lazy and greedy but it's not my generalization so I'm not sure why you're asking me about it.

How do rich black Americans who aren't on welfare vote? If it isn't overwhelmingly Republican then maybe it's not all about self-interest.

Well, the three richest black Americans I know of are Oprah, Micheal Jordan, and Jay-Z...they all donate to the Democrat party. Plus it seems like most black athletes, performers, actors, and the like all vote and donate that way too. As far as wealthy black business owners? No idea, I can't find that data handly.

Back