Aliens

• Thread starter Exorcet
  • 2,385 comments

Is there extraterrestrial life?

• Yes, and they are not Earth like creatures (non carbon based)

Votes: 19 2.5%
  • Yes, and they are not Earth like creatures (carbon based)

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • Yes, and they are not Earth like creatures (carbon and non carbon based)

Votes: 82 10.8%
  • Yes, and they are humanoid creatures

Votes: 39 5.1%
  • Yes, and they are those associated with abductions

Votes: 19 2.5%
  • Yes, but I don't know what they'd be like

Votes: 379 49.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 151 19.8%
  • No, they only exist in movies

Votes: 47 6.2%

• Total voters
Exorcet
OE Exorcet
Just a random thing I was thinking about a couple days ago.

I think abduction stories and movies, etc have corrupted the general consensus on extraterrestrial life. It's considered fairy tale by most people, while it might very well exist. However, if it does exist, it is probably not going to be anything like the stereotypes most people are familiar with. More specifically, I expect bacterial and non humanoid creatures to be the most common.

So, what do you think, is there something out there, or is it only in Hollywood. I think that there is, though I don't have solid evidence. It's just too big a coincidence for Earth to be the only planet of its kind. However, research seems to show that life isn't necessarily very abundant in out section of the galaxy.

If nothing else existed outside Earth then the universe would be a pretty big waste of space. Also I don't think extraterrestrials would look like humans, they would have obviously evolved differently as I'm sure their planet has different characteristics. However, I wouldn't doubt there are other humanoid looking creatures out there.

Have aliens visited Earth? I don't know. They very well might have which would explain people seeing various gods...I mean for all we know Jesus could be an alien.

I'll have to give a deeper thought answer later.

Have aliens visited Earth? I don't know. They very well might have which would explain people seeing various gods...I mean for all we know Jesus could be an alien.

Just for prospective, Proxima Centauri, our closest neighbor, is 2.48136E+13 miles from the Sun. So that's a 4.22 years trip at minimum based on our current understanding of physics, 45,000-100,000 years based on speeds of contemporary space probes. As I recall, that star has no planets and is a red dwarf. Though planets are common finds around stars other than our own.

I'd like to imagine we're not the only life out there. In a universe so large, I find it hard to believe otherwise.

Just for prospective, Proxima Centauri, our closest neighbor, is 2.48136E+13 miles from the Sun. So that's a 4.22 years trip at minimum based on our current understanding of physics, 45,000-100,000 years based on speeds of contemporary space probes. As I recall, that star has no planets and is a red dwarf. Though planets are common finds around stars other than our own.

You can't limit yourself to our technology. An alien civilisation could be more advanced than our own and have a better understanding of physics. Humans are a fairly young species even by Earth's standards.

I'd like to imagine we're not the only life out there. In a universe so large, I find it hard to believe otherwise.

+1

Its hard even to imagine how big the universe is. Chances that we are alone in this huge space is extremly slim. Even on mars has there bin water some time and maybe we will find trace of life as close as that. (no not little green men :lol:)

You can't limit yourself to our technology. An alien civilisation could be more advanced than our own and have a better understanding of physics. Humans are a fairly young species even by Earth's standards.
On the flip side, we could be more advanced than they are....

I'm not disputing that. I would assume there is life out there that is more advanced than us, on par with us, and less advanced then us. The universe is huge so in all likelihood there are probably numerous planets at different points in their cycle of life.

Is there life elsewhere in the Cosmos? Yes. Are there Earth-like species on other planets? Almost certainly. Are there human-like species and other 'civilisations' like humankind? Probably, but they'd only make up a small proportion of all alien life (i.e. on Earth-like planets). Are there forms of life completely alien to Earth-like creatures? Possibly, although I reckon carbon-based life is common, but maybe isn't the only type of "life" out there. Will we get on with any of them? Probably not.

So this brings up my question, why do we believe there to be no life on any of our solar system's planets besides Earth? (As far as I know.) But then I ask, why not? I heard once that the environments aren't supportive to life, but that doesn't make any sense, because the common belief is that we tolerate temperatures, breath oxygen, etc., because we needed to to form here, so?

Yes, I think there is supposed to be a mission to Titan to search for life at some point.

I heard once that the environments aren't supportive to life, but that doesn't make any sense

Yes, and I agree with that. It always annoyed me when I heard "the planet is not like Earth, so life cannot exist there". But then I heard the explanation, and it does make a little sense. We only know conditions that Earth based life can survive in, and we can only search so much of the sky at once. So in order to narrow down the search, scientists only search on Earth like planets.

So this brings up my question, why do we believe there to be no life on any of our solar system's planets besides Earth? (As far as I know.) But then I ask, why not? I heard once that the environments aren't supportive to life, but that doesn't make any sense, because the common belief is that we tolerate temperatures, breath oxygen, etc., because we needed to to form here, so?

Although it's possible that life does exist elsewhere in the Solar System, there are some prerequisites that make life (as we know it anyway) more or less likely. The presence of liquid water is one. That rules out Mercury (too hot/no water at all) and possibly Venus, and the outer planets/minor planets (too cold) as well as many of their moons. There are also other things that could make it more likely that life could arise - like solid surfaces (more specifically, phase boundaries where liquid and solid surfaces interact). That rules out the gas giants (Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus) as likely places for life to arise (although it is still conceivable), since they have no solid surface to speak of. From what we know about evolution and the origins of life on Earth, other factors such as 'continuity' are important - that a certain environment exists for long enough to allow life to originate. The surface of Io, for example, is constantly being reshaped by volcanism and as such, no surface features are likely to survive on Io for the massive (millions of years) time periods suitable for the origin of life. Even Earth has this problem, but the Earth's outer crust is relatively stable compared to somewhere like Io. Then there is also the consideration of the availability of energy and organics (or equivalents) to serve as the building blocks of life. Our Moon, for example, simply doesn't have the environments or the building blocks (organics, liquid water etc.) to make the origination of life even remotely possible. However, we know for a fact that simple organics - including amino acids - exist in space (evidence from comets and meteorites has proven this beyond doubt), so we know that the basic building blocks of life are abundant. However, the building blocks alone are not enough - they also need an appropriate crucible to interact. Other places in the Solar System may have had the right conditions for life for atleast some time, but no longer have - Mars is a possible example. But the Earth does have all of these components, and has had them for a very long time - and it has life. Other likely candidates are Europa (one of Jupiter's largest four moons) and Titan, Saturn's giant moon. Both have organics, surfaces, liquid/surface interfaces, heat and energy supplies (i.e. geothermal energy) and Europa is believed to have liquid water beneath it's 'surface' layer of water ice...

Although there is always the possibility of completely different forms of life that would have a completely different set of prerequisites for their formation, we are limited to considering what is likely based on the realities of what types of matter exist and the laws of physics etc. The fact that even the most remote galaxies appear to be made from the same stuff as we are, and obey the same laws of physics as we do, I think it is a safe assumption to say that any consideration of 'possible' forms of life should be limited to what is physically and chemically possible. In other words, although life could be very different to Earth-based life in major ways, I don't think it will be so radically different that we wouldn't recognise it as life.

Last edited:
So this brings up my question, why do we believe there to be no life on any of our solar system's planets besides Earth? (As far as I know.)

Well we lack any evidence that life exists on those planets/moons. However, that doesn't mean that our solar system (aside from earth) has been ruled out regarding life. Mars could have subsurface liquid water for all we know - so there could be life below the surface, and there might have been life at some point on the surface. Europa (one of Jupiter's moons) could have life in the ocean that is believed to exist beneath its surface. Europa exists in a high radiation, high tidal force environment which provides some heat for life to develop from. Another prime target is Enceladus (one of Saturn's moons). Enceladus was recently discovered to be erupting ice particles into space. This leads to the strong possibility of a subsurface liquid water reservoir. Heat measurements from the fissures indicate that the internal temperatures might be sufficient for life.

So there are plenty of places we have left to examine in our own solar system. But nobody expects to find little green men.

Other likely candidates are Europa (one of Jupiter's largest four moons) and Titan, Saturn's giant moon. Both have organics, surfaces, liquid/surface interfaces, heat and energy supplies (i.e. geothermal energy) and Europa is believed to have liquid water beneath it's 'surface' layer of water ice...
If anyone has ever seen James Cameron's 'Aliens of the Deep' documentary it goes a long way to explain this and why Europa is considered a likely candidate to find life within our own solar system.

They explain it by examining life within the deepest areas of Earth's own oceans, where life has been found that is believed to have developed separately from that on the surface without the benefit of the sun as the energy source for the life cycle. Instead their primary energy source is volcanic vents, where lifeforms have developed that can withstand the extreme heat of the vents (already outside our previous notions of what life should be) and an entire life cycle of multicellular organisms has formed.

Based on these discoveries and our knowledge of Europa being a mostly water covered world, with what appears to be volcanic activity, scientist believe that Europa has the potential to create multicellular life.

The documentary does not mention Titan much, but the same science can be used to point out Titan as a potential life bearing world, particularly with the data we have received from Cassini. I think that had the documentary been filmed in a post Cassini time that Titan would also be featured.

If anyone has ever seen James Cameron's 'Aliens of the Deep' documentary it goes a long way to explain this and why Europa is considered a likely candidate to find life within our own solar system.

They explain it by examining life within the deepest areas of Earth's own oceans, where life has been found that is believed to have developed separately from that on the surface without the benefit of the sun as the energy source for the life cycle. Instead their primary energy source is volcanic vents, where lifeforms have developed that can withstand the extreme heat of the vents (already outside our previous notions of what life should be) and an entire life cycle of multicellular organisms has formed.

Based on these discoveries and our knowledge of Europa being a mostly water covered world, with what appears to be volcanic activity, scientist believe that Europa has the potential to create multicellular life.

The documentary does not mention Titan much, but the same science can be used to point out Titan as a potential life bearing world, particularly with the data we have received from Cassini. I think that had the documentary been filmed in a post Cassini time that Titan would also be featured.

While all of this is true, I think Enceladus is now the #1 place to look for life. You can make all the relevant arguments for Europa about Enceladus, but with the added bonus of actually having serious evidence that there is liquid water beneath the surface.

While all of this is true, I think Enceladus is now the #1 place to look for life. You can make all the relevant arguments for Europa about Enceladus, but with the added bonus of actually having serious evidence that there is liquid water beneath the surface.
Yeah, I forgot about Enceladus while writing that post. I think it is because it is relatively new information (was it last month we saw that image?) and I just haven't worked it into my mind yet.

Is there life elsewhere in the Cosmos? Yes. Are there Earth-like species on other planets? Almost certainly. Are there human-like species and other 'civilisations' like humankind? Probably, but they'd only make up a small proportion of all alien life (i.e. on Earth-like planets). Are there forms of life completely alien to Earth-like creatures? Possibly, although I reckon carbon-based life is common, but maybe isn't the only type of "life" out there. Will we get on with any of them? Probably not.

Aliens are American? ;) < seriously big safety wink.

There is a way to be faster than light-banding time and space, it is possible but not with OUR technologie, not yet.

Joey D
Very likely we're not, we're too young. I know that sounds absolutely crazy, but as I have researched this topic now for almost 2 years and know really A LOT about it, I can assure you we are definately not alone and never have been, you can find a lot of hints even in the bible. There are said to be 3 very different types of intelligent lifeforms in the universe, all humanoid but CERTAINLY NOT human. First of the Greys, from the movies the small ones with big heads doing the abductions (allegedly they have an IQ of 1200!), than we have the lizzard-like or reptilian humanoids (allegedly being the best genetics in the universe), regarding us as cattle and being the masters of the Greys and than there are humans, just like us, only more intelligent and spiritualized, everywhere in the universe. The technologie of all the above mentioned races is said to be thousands of years in advance to our own, the races themselfes being even millions of years old.
Well thats at least what I "learned" from countless resources so far. And btw, no I'm not a no-life and I have never seen an alien or UFO myself.
I would sincerely recommend you to use the following links, which are all AWESOME videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LVLVmN6RZk -compilation of UFO footage-very good 👍
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCjhqLkUmtA -alleged evidence of e.t. life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlLN_Jcg1pc -compilation of NASA's video footage of UFO's

Last edited:
Yes, they exists, and no, they don't look like humans or anything similar. The odds of similarities are about as likely as homosexual, muslim president as the leader of USA.

Although i beleive they probably do exist and find it a fascinating subject, i don't know why people assume the old historical artifacts are evidence, whose to say they are not just figures of peoples imagination, people had imagination then just like now you know. Also as much as id like to beleive there are aliens at S4 area 51, it seems incredible to me that so little information has leaked, and so little activity is noticed there. Surely more people would have come forward like Lazar.

I think they exist and I think we have a flawed idea of where life can and cannot exist. Sure we have yet to find life on planets similar to ours, however there are things on our planet that contradict this argument. The place I'm talking about of course is the bottom of the ocean where there is no light yet there are life forms. I really think whatever is out there probably has a totally different composition and probably has a totally different table of elements than us. Who knows maybe they have never even heard of oxygen or carbon and live in a super hot bright place.

I believe....thats one thing for shure.

It cant be just Titan Mars and Earth with water in the entire exsitance. There are also many others.

So, yeah....I believe.

I dont have a clue,but we have so much of our own planet we know very very little about. The oceans of earth remain largley unknown,just think of how many "alien" life forms we share a planet with and are unaware of each others presence.

Back