Aliens

• Thread starter Exorcet
  • 2,385 comments

Is there extraterrestrial life?

• Yes, and they are not Earth like creatures (non carbon based)

Votes: 19 2.5%
  • Yes, and they are not Earth like creatures (carbon based)

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • Yes, and they are not Earth like creatures (carbon and non carbon based)

Votes: 82 10.8%
  • Yes, and they are humanoid creatures

Votes: 39 5.1%
  • Yes, and they are those associated with abductions

Votes: 19 2.5%
  • Yes, but I don't know what they'd be like

Votes: 379 49.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 151 19.8%
  • No, they only exist in movies

Votes: 47 6.2%

• Total voters
In this video, the camera operator seems to be distracted by a pulsating light.

Last edited:
Shuttle is passing through South Atlantic magnetic anomaly (compass needles point south?) where the Van Allen belts dip lowest towards Earth's surface. Strange lights were seen here when the shuttle went to its highest ever altitude, well over 300 miles.

Nope, this is Endeavour STS-67 deploying the Astro 2 system by aligning the payload with whichever astronomical body the mission geeks want to look at in that particular moment.

The highest ever Shuttle flight (by quite some margin) was Discovery STS-31 launching Hubble. Some missions after STS-67 (82?) also passed 67's height by a large margin.

In this video, the camera operator seems to be distracted by a pulsating light.

I'd say the light is constant, you're seeing the camera constantly trying to find an average contrast setting so the light fades in and out of view. I'm not sure why you'd think we're seeing a UFO or why the video poster claims that Target Vectors are being made?

As an interesting aside this mission was the first internet-streamed space mission by NASA, such as internet streaming was in '95.

I'd say the light is constant, you're seeing the camera constantly trying to find an average contrast setting so the light fades in and out of view.

The blinking light is seen at about :38 and then again about a minute later, and finally at different camera settings at about 2:08. The light is clearly blinking or pulsating all the time, even as the camera settings are changed or when they are not.

I was mistaken about the location of the orbiter, and I have no idea on the "target vector" question. Does it matter? The camera operator seems to target the blinking light - "vectoring" the camera towards the target, the blinking light. And tries to change settings to get a different take on it, centering and tightening the magnification, lingering on the intriguing anomaly.

Again, I say this is NOT an alien spaceship, but some kind of electromagnetic phenomenon. There are plenty of examples of those. I will try to post more, clear examples of electromagnetic phenomena in space. Might do it in the thread Space in General.

Last edited:
Scientists and engineers on the ground can cause otherwise eerie plasma glows to appear in the upper atmosphere.

https://phys.org/news/2013-02-scientists-densest-artificial-ionospheric-plasma.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130225112504.htm

Sequence of images of the glow plasma discharge produced with transmissions at the third electron gyro harmonic using the HAARP HF transmitter, Gakona, Alaska. The third harmonic artificial glow plasma clouds were obtained with HAARP using transmissions at 4.34 megahertz (MHz). The resonant frequency yielded green line (557.7 nanometer emission) with HF on November 12, 2012, between the times of 02:26:15 to 02:26:45 GMT. (Photo: SRI International-Elizabeth Kendall). For a larger version of this image please go here.

haarp-artificial-ionospheric-mirror1.jpg

A compilation of anomalous images, objects and phenomena, some highly bizarre. For your entertainment. There is no implication or indication that any of these are an extraterrestrial spacecraft.

Space-faring alien civilization may have once existed in our solar system, astronomer says. "Far out!", as we used to say.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1704.07263.pdf

A fascinating read indeed. It's even possible, as the article mentioned, that this (these) "alien" civilization(s) may have purely terrestrial; in fact that's the most likely hypothesis given that Earth is the only place where complex life is known to exist.

A fascinating read indeed. It's even possible, as the article mentioned, that this (these) "alien" civilization(s) may have purely terrestrial; in fact that's the most likely hypothesis given that Earth is the only place where complex life is known to exist.

I'm glad you enjoyed this article.
I'm not at all ready to accept this hypothesis as fact. But IF it were true, then that may account for certain "ooparts", finely crafted, advanced manufactured objects of unknown origin found embedded in layers of coal by miners, etc.

To me, that just looks like a Predator drone with a large missile attached to it.
Did you even read the story? It's really impressive.

Below are a couple of non-technical videos summarizing the incident, generally referred to as the "Nimitz tic-tac UFO".

Last edited:
Will we, I mean the current living generations, find out what is out there and is comming to earth of have been living on earth?

Will we, I mean the current living generations, find out what is out there and is comming to earth of have been living on earth?
Maybe. A lot depends on how much faith you place in national governments and their agencies. A very few have endorsed the extraterrestrial hypothesis for the UFO phenomenon. The US government, although allowing retired officials more and more freedom to speak and access to previously classified files, is constrained by studies which conclude there will be a clear adverse social affect should an alien presence in our solar system become evident.

A very few have endorsed the extraterrestrial hypothesis for the UFO phenomenon. The US government, although allowing retired officials more and more freedom to speak and access to previously classified files, is constrained by studies which conclude there will be a clear adverse social affect should an alien presence in our solar system become evident.
That's probably true but I think not the main reason to keep it a secret.

Last edited:
It sounds like a pretty strong one if you're a government. Say they had pretty strong evidence that there's no afterlife. That'd also have a pretty adverse social effect. Do you think they'd let the world know in such a case?

It sounds like a pretty strong one if you're a government. Say they had pretty strong evidence that there's no afterlife. That'd also have a pretty adverse social effect. Do you think they'd let the world know in such a case?
I think they would because it is something completely different (most people don't believe in an afterlife anyway). The government has no gain in suppressing such kind of world news or evidence.

What I was referring at is the technology and knowledge Aliens have and we don't but the government has (hypothesis) thanks to the Aliens. We all know that technology and knowledge means power and that is what the governments likes to have, power over their subjects.

The social adverse affect is also a hypothesis but probably part of the reason they put a lit on all things Alien related. In case of a social adverse affect, we will probably get anarchie, which means losing power. Which means that the social adverse affect is hypocritical.

Or there is no such thing as Aliens and it is all in our minds and television shows. :D

I think they would because it is something completely different (most people don't believe in an afterlife anyway). The government has no gain in suppressing such kind of world news or evidence.

What I was referring at is the technology and knowledge Aliens have and we don't but the government has (hypothesis) thanks to the Aliens. We all know that technology and knowledge means power and that is what the governments likes to have, power over their subjects.

The social adverse affect is also a hypothesis but probably part of the reason they put a lit on all things Alien related. In case of a social adverse affect, we will probably get anarchie, which means losing power. Which means that the social adverse affect is hypocritical.

Or there is no such thing as Aliens and it is all in our minds and television shows. :D

You've over thinking his comparison, to be honest. The point has nothing to do with who believes or doesn't believe in afterlife (or insert whatever fringe topic), but the fact that people on a large scale have some perspective socially and to upset that balance, may have adverse effects on every aspect of human life for example. It seems however toward the end you agree there could be massive human condition issues that would cause not only mistrust in gov't but also insecurity of a higher intelligence outside our own planet.

As for the technology portion that is but another facet to the entire argument of the "what if aliens are well known and have visited earth before", topic. I agree with you to a degree on that point, it'd be very beneficial to sovereign governments to not only keep that to themselves (information) but so much so that even their own populous hasn't a clue. It could be sinister in keeping control over people, though this is where I doubt it, or it could simply be a means to an end, of not only defending and being more advance than other nations, but other interstellar groups that may be out there.

Though your final statement is a joke, I would never say there isn't such a thing as alien life, it exists to what degree is as of now unknown and may never be known. If it is secretly known the degree, it is the best open secret to where people knew it all along but the official proof was so well kept and hidden that to say it in a general setting would get you laughed at or worse.

You've over thinking his comparison, to be honest. The point has nothing to do with who believes or doesn't believe in afterlife (or insert whatever fringe topic), but the fact that people on a large scale have some perspective socially and to upset that balance, may have adverse effects on every aspect of human life for example.
Fair enough but you are wrong. I'm not overthinking it. Your example of the afterlife and the impact on social life or life in general is based on the fact if there is or isn't an afterlife and thus changing social life and other parts of life (as an example).

It seems however toward the end you agree there could be massive human condition issues that would cause not only mistrust in gov't but also insecurity of a higher intelligence outside our own planet.
Ofcourse I agree. I'd be a fool to state otherwise. Let us say that everything we know is true. We have been visited by Aliens (different species), people have been abducted, Aliens are living amongst us and are working together with governments, hollow earth exist and some of the Aliens species are in fact earthlings coming from hollow earth and so on ....... . If all this information is made public and Aliens come forward, I have no idea how people would react. Good, bad, panic, anarchie, I have no idea. But things will change drastically. Social life will be different.

As for the technology portion that is but another facet to the entire argument of the "what if aliens are well known and have visited earth before", topic. I agree with you to a degree on that point, it'd be very beneficial to sovereign governments to not only keep that to themselves (information) but so much so that even their own populous hasn't a clue. It could be sinister in keeping control over people, though this is where I doubt it, or it could simply be a means to an end, of not only defending and being more advance than other nations, but other interstellar groups that may be out there.
That is what governments do best, controlling everybody's life, with or without the help of Alien technology or Aliens themselves. Mind you, I'm not talking about dictatorship or the Illuminaty, only that everybody's life is controlled by governments.

Though your final statement is a joke,
Spot on. Ofcourse it is a joke, literally. Hence the smiley.

I would never say there isn't such a thing as alien life, it exists to what degree is as of now unknown and may never be known. If it is secretly known the degree, it is the best open secret to where people knew it all along but the official proof was so well kept and hidden that to say it in a general setting would get you laughed at or worse.
There is still a difference on knowing something (believing, faith, doubt, etc ...) and having proof/evidence that something is real.
A personal example; I know for a fact that the meds I'm taking are hazardous for my health. But when I read or hear real proof of the dangers, it is different, it's is scary and makes me feel bad. Eventhough I already knew it.
It is probably the same with Aliens. An open secret doesn't have the same impact on life as we know it as when this open secret becomes reality.

Stupid example but still .... . What if an astronomer says that he/she noticed a strange object in space hurdling towards earth. What if this astrononer claims that it is an Alien spaceship. What if people, all over the world, on the internet, start to spread this news and make up stories, that these Aliens are going to invade planet earth. Would that change anything to how people live? I'm not sure but I don't think so.
What if this astronomer is correct and this news is made public by official media instead of gossip on the internet? I believe that people are going to panic because the thread becomes real. Social life will change, life as we know it will change. This news could become a second "War of the Worlds" (radio drama in 1938).

I have no idea if Aliens exist but I'm open minded enough to not discard Alien existence. Will it cause mass panic, I don't know. Maybe, maybe not.

BTW, mass panic and social life changing and life as we know it changing are two different concepts (in my mind at least) :P

EDIT:
No, because I don't know what everybody on this planet thinks or believes.

I'm not religious but I still believe, to some extend (let's say 90%), in and afterlife. Two keywords, religious and believe. There is a huge difference between religion and believe. Religion is actively practicing what you, uhm, believe in. Believe is just believing in something without practicing this believe. You can believe in Aliens but that doesn't mean that you are practicing Alienisme. If you do, than your are religious.
As I said, I'm not religious but I still believe in God. Not the bible God but more of a cosmic intelligence, awareness. I also believe in an afterlife but not the bible kind of afterlife. I believe that the afterlife is some sort of other dimension where the soul goes to when it leaves the body when the body dies.

That article doesn't proof anything because religious people and non religious people believe of don't believe in an afterlife. BTW, that article says nothing about an afterlife, only about religions there are and how many practioners of these religions.

Last edited:
Fair enough but you are wrong. I'm not overthinking it. Your example of the afterlife and the impact on social life or life in general is based on the fact if there is or isn't an afterlife and thus changing social life and other parts of life (as an example).

Not my example in the first place trying to explain to you why it's not about the afterlife, it could have been a different example of a somewhat social norm or belief and would make sense.

Ofcourse I agree. I'd be a fool to state otherwise. Let us say that everything we know is true. We have been visited by Aliens (different species), people have been abducted, Aliens are living amongst us and are working together with governments, hollow earth exist and some of the Aliens species are in fact earthlings coming from hollow earth and so on ....... . If all this information is made public and Aliens come forward, I have no idea how people would react. Good, bad, panic, anarchie, I have no idea. But things will change drastically. Social life will be different.

Which was the point of the previous user and mine as well. So we're on the same page.

That is what governments do best, controlling everybody's life, with or without the help of Alien technology or Aliens themselves. Mind you, I'm not talking about dictatorship or the Illuminaty, only that everybody's life is controled by governments.

Controlled is being contorted here in definition, what you call control here is what most of the free world would call governed.

Spot on. Ofcourse it is a joke, literally. Hence the smiley.

Okay...wasn't the point of the statement hence you chopping it off. Was basically to say though you've made a joke there is still people who actually believe that statement, non jokingly.

There is still a difference on knowing something (believing, faith, doubt, etc ...) and having proof/evidence that something is real.
A personal example; I know for a fact that the meds I'm taking are hazardous for my health. But when I read or hear real proof of the dangers, it is different, it's is scary and makes me feel bad. Eventhough I already knew it.
It is probably the same with Aliens. An open secret doesn't have the same impact on life as we know it as when this open secret becomes reality.

How do you know they are? Have you seen the lab results, and studies to prove it? Same thing here, I don't know for sure I just trust the math since math from my experiences has tended to be correct most time then not. The math indicates that the likely hood of no alien life is much more unlikely than alien life.

Stupid example but still .... . What if an astronomer says that he/she noticed a strange object in space hurdling towards earth. What if this astrononer claims that it is an Alien spaceship. What if people, all over the world, on the internet, start to spread this news and make up stories, that these Aliens are going to invade planet earth. Would that change anything to how people live? I'm not sure but I don't think so.
What if this astronomer is correct and this news is made public by official media instead of gossip on the internet? I believe that people are going to panic because the thread becomes real. Social life will change, life as we know it will change. This news could become a second "War of the Worlds" (radio drama in 1938).

I have no idea if Aliens exist but I'm open minded enough to not discard Alien existence. Will it cause mass panic, I don't know. Maybe, maybe not.

BTW, mass panic and social life changing and life as we know it changing are two different concepts (in my mind at least) :P

Well that wouldn't work in the way you've explained it, one astronomer wouldn't have that power, sure they could say it and try to spread it about the world. However, if there isn't any others to validate it then it's just one quick to conclude scientist saying things without further inquiry. Which would make them quite the questionable scientist, because typically you don't do what you just made a hypothetical of. Now to answer the question, I find it hard to understand how it wouldn't, perhaps you personally sure, but others would be nervous perhaps curious, and for the most part unsure of what comes next. That uncertainty usually leads to irrational decisions and chaos, when and if made official would only magnify this exponentially.

If it's revealed some day in the future that alien life exists on Europa for example in the water under the ice, and it's microbial, I highly doubt panic will ensue. If the greys for example were a reality and all the stories were true, that would most likely create a rift between the public and gov't and fear.

Which was the point of the previous user and mine as well. So we're on the same page.
I guess so but we probably will never know.

Controlled is being contorted here in definition, what you call control here is what most of the free world would call governed
Bear with me, my first language is Dutch, not English. BTW, isn't contorted; twisted in a violant matter?
Governed/controllled is in my book the same thing. If a government doesn't control their subjects, we have anarchy.

Okay...wasn't the point of the statement hence you chopping it off. Was basically to say though you've made a joke there is still people who actually believe that statement, non jokingly.
I don't agree. If I didn't use that smiley, I agree with you but I clearly showed that I was joking true a smiley and by putting some space between the two paragraphs.

How do you know they are? Have you seen the lab results, and studies to prove it? Same thing here, I don't know for sure I just trust the math since math from my experiences has tended to be correct most time then not. The math indicates that the likely hood of no alien life is much more unlikely than alien life.
I don't get it. How do I know what? About the adverse effects of the medication or about Aliens being real or not?
I think you don't understand what I'm trying to say. It has nothing to do with Aliens being real or not but with the fact that an open secret is less scary and even intriguing than when there is absolute proof that Aliens exist and everything they write about Aliens is true as well. I was talking about the mental/psychological impact if something you believe in comes true by real proof.

Well that wouldn't work in the way you've explained it, one astronomer wouldn't have that power, sure they could say it and try to spread it about the world. However, if there isn't any others to validate it then it's just one quick to conclude scientist saying things without further inquiry. Which would make them quite the questionable scientist, because typically you don't do what you just made a hypothetical of. Now to answer the question, I find it hard to understand how it wouldn't, perhaps you personally sure, but others would be nervous perhaps curious, and for the most part unsure of what comes next. That uncertainty usually leads to irrational decisions and chaos, when and if made official would only magnify this exponentially.
Ofcours it works like that. Proof on youtube and the internet in abundance. Example is the end of the world by the Mayan calender. One person insueted something about the Mayan calender which was then taken out of context and this story snowballed on the internet. Even books were written about this subject. The same with this astronomer. He/she tells something and it will start a life on it's own on the internet. But in this case, there will not be any social upheaval. "But is this news was made public by official media ....." is what I wrote, meaning that it is not the astrononmer but let us say the president of the US whom makes this new public. It can't get more official than that. In this case, there will probably be mass panic all over the world. I never said that the astronomer has the power to make it public.
BTW, I made a mistake to make another paragraph of this "stupid example" of mine. It was actually part of the medication, open secret versus proof part of my post (the mental/psychology thing).

If it's revealed some day in the future that alien life exists on Europa for example in the water under the ice, and it's microbial, I highly doubt panic will ensue. If the greys for example were a reality and all the stories were true, that would most likely create a rift between the public and gov't and fear.
Indeed. So true.

Last edited:
A long time ago, when NASA began exploring the solar system, they commissioned a top-level think-tank, I believe the Brookings Institution, to study the potential effects on US society of NASA discovering the present or past existence of intelligent alien life in the solar system. They did a long study and issued a long report. But the thrust of it was that our society would deteriorate - much like primitive tribal societies did on Earth when advanced European colonists arrived in their formerly isolated lands. The bottom line is that government fears alien discovery would lead to people drinking a lot more, not showing up for work, and not playing taxes.

I wanted to say it in my previous post. If you wanted to make a general statement, don't use a specific subject like the afterlife. Because the way you wrote it was very specific.
It's the way I wrote it, not him, and when someone starts a sentence with "Say..." they're generally presenting it as an example, not a specific statement.
That article doesn't proof anything because religious people and non religious people believe of don't believe in an afterlife. BTW, that article says nothing about an afterlife, only about religions there are and how many practioners of these religions.
It's not intended to prove anything other than that you can continue to pull unsupported statements and suppositions out of your ass all day and it won't support your bald statement that "most people don't believe in an afterlife". Neither does your theory that the majority of religious believers (who make up the majority of people on the planet) are faithless liars who don't believe in an afterlife despite their religions expressly stating that there is one.

None of which has anything whatsoever to do with whether the government of arguably the most poweful and influential nation on earth should release hypothetical scientific findings which would have an adverse effect on society, whether they concern the afterlife, aliens, or something else. You're missing the point that I was trying to make by a mile.

Last edited:
It's the way I wrote it, not him, and when someone starts a sentence with "Say..." they're generally presenting it as an example, not a specific statement.

It's not intended to prove anything other than that you can continue to pull facts and suppositions out of your ass and it won't support your bald statement that "most people don't believe in an afterlife". Neither does your theory that the majority of religious believers (who make up the majority of people on the planet) are faithless liars who don't believe in an afterlife. None of which has anything whatsoever to do with whether the government of arguably the most poweful and influential nation on earth should release hypothetical scientific findings which would have an adverse effect on society, whether they concern the afterlife, aliens, or something else. You're missing the point by a mile.

Wow, down boy. Keep calm, it's not good for your heart.

First of all, I already said that I don't really believe in that bald statement. I don't know why I said that. Read my posts carefully before you go crazy.

I didn't start that afterlife discussion and the government and social upheaval part by asking me a question about it, you did.

Where did I say that religious believers are faithless liars whom don't believe in an afterlife?

I'm not missing the point. I know that religion and believing in an afterlife go hand in hand. I also know that you posted that link to show how many religious people there are on this planet and the believe in an afterlife. You posted that link because of my bald statement, which I don't believe in when you asked about it. Read my previous post. Again, I don't know why I said that. So, no, I am not missing your point at all. All cultures throughout history believe in an afterlife, one way or the other.

The whole point was:

Maybe. A lot depends on how much faith you place in national governments and their agencies. A very few have endorsed the extraterrestrial hypothesis for the UFO phenomenon. The US government, although allowing retired officials more and more freedom to speak and access to previously classified files, is constrained by studies which conclude there will be a clear adverse social affect should an alien presence in our solar system become evident.

The only thing I said:

I agreed with @Dotini statement that it will probably cause an advers social affect but that it is not the only reason to keep this Alien thing a secret. Alien technology is also a reason to keep it a secret. That is all I said. And then you came with the afterlife question, eventhough is was not literally meant. Which I misunderstood. Sorry.

It seems that I mixed up posts of the both of you @UKMikey and @LMSCorvetteGT2 .
C:\Users\Thuis\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.gif
C:\Users\Thuis\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.gif
Sorry @LMSCorvetteGT2 that I thought it was you whom asked me that afterlife question.

EDIT: Well, let me say that I agree with you that the majority of the people on this planet are religious. But I never said that they don't believe in an afterlife.
This what I said:
kikie
....because religious people and non religious people believe of don't believe in an afterlife .....
I wasn't calling religious people faithless liars.

Last edited:
There is a huge difference between religion and believe. Religion is actively practicing what you, uhm, believe in. Believe is just believing in something without practicing this believe.

I don't really believe in that bald statement.

It seems that you are somewhat pissed

Bear with me, my first language is Dutch, not English.

I'm afraid it shows, and I am pissed. It's been a long night.

I can see the points you're trying to make (which I think are mostly incorrect) but you should be careful about pursuing the far ends of definitions in a second language that you're not entirely au fait with.

I'm afraid it shows, and I am pissed. It's been a long night.

I can see the points you're trying to make (which I think are mostly incorrect) but you should be careful about pursuing the far ends of definitions in a second language that you're not entirely au fait with.
Yes. I agree, it is not easy to make my points in a foreign language but I know that I'm not incorrect. Maybe I express myself incorrectly but I know that I'm not incorrect.

There is a difference between believers and religion. It was even on Nat Geographic. I'm not making this up.
Edit: If this guy in this programme didn't know what he was talking about, than I'm also talking 🤬. I just found out that there is a difference between believe and belief. Didn't know that. Maybe that is were I didn't express myself correctly. :guilty:

Stay pissed as long as you want. I don't know why because you were not part of the discussion.

Bottom line, I also believe that revealing everything governments know about Aliens could be a huge problem, socially. That is all I said before all this mess started.

Last edited:
Stay pissed as long as you want. I don't know why because you were not part of the discussion.

I doubt I'll stay drunk forever, not even me.

There is a difference between believers and religion. It was even on Nat Geographic. I'm not making this up.
Edit: If this guy in this programme didn't know what he was talking about, than I'm also talking 🤬.

I don't know how to break this to you... you can be religious through pure belief without practicing any given religion. One common definition of "religious" is

OED
relating to or believing in a religion.

That leaves the obvious possibility that Nat Geo was talking ****, if that were true then it wouldn't be the first time.

I doubt I'll stay drunk forever, not even me.

I don't know how to break this to you... you can be religious through pure belief without practicing any given religion. One common definition of "religious" is

That leaves the obvious possibility that Nat Geo was talking ****, if that were true then it wouldn't be the first time.
This guy said that the difference between religion and belief is;

Regilious people are practicing their beliefs and they live by these beliefs. Somebody whom believes in something but doesn't practice is, isn't practicing a religion.
Belief me (:lol:) that is what he said.
It seems to be more difficult than I thought.
When I say, I believe in aliens (extraterrestrial), doesn't mean that I'm practicing a religion. But when I say that I believe that Aliens are Gods and start praticing this belief and live accordingly, I'm religious. We could call it Alienisme (extraterrestrialisme). >>> look a smiley :P
That's how I see it.

The aliens (extraterrestrials) are getting restless with all this off topic rant. Back to the extraterrestrials.

Hope you will feel well tomorrow after you sobered up. :)

Last edited:
Back