Alto Works shoots high, and hits its own foot

Ok, I once beat the SS 150 enduro with a MX-5 Miata about 1 year ago, but I didn't want the same feat. So I tweaked out a Trueno. Still no good, the power-to-weight ratio was lower (faster). So, I figured what the hell, maybe I could score one for the lightweights. I called up Suzuki Motorsports and told them I want a full-blown assult vehicle, fast. The Escudos were on a 100-day waiting list and he had nothing but Altos. I called up Dihatsu... nothing but Miras. Called up Mini USA... apparently the Cooper 1.3 was no longer produced. So I drove over to the Suzuki dealer and picked up my Alto. Bland white with even blander rims. So I switched rims and shoes to T1's and went hunting.

I knew right off the bat my 2 biggest enemies would be the MotorSport Elise and 996 RGT... they were. I wasn't too worried about the 993 CTR because I knew it was slower through corners and had a crappy pit strategy. I had by far the slowest car in the field, but I figured I could snipe both of them with a 2-stop (34-67) strategy, stick to my line and hope all goes well, and don't screw up since I didn't have room to. Lap one rolls around, and it's a 50" lap. 2nd lap is 42.9", not bad, but still roughly 3 seconds slower than the meancing Elise. When you're in a K-car, you gotta remember that a big key to staying fast is maintaining momentum. By lap 7, however, some of the cars start/already pitted, including the 996. The Motorsport Elise took the lead and I was about half a track length back. The pit stops shuffled through again, and that watermelon red 996 was hunting down the Elise. By lap 18 it regained the lead. Now, remember on every pit stop I draw the cars about 30" in. 4 Laps later, the 996 pits and loses but then regains the lead as the Elise pits on lap 23. The 996 is now visible off of turn 2, but then disappears as quickly as it came. On lap 30 the 996 pits and I see a heavenly light as I *almost* close in on his rear bumper as he exits the pit. However, naturally, he smokes me, but I Lap 31 comes and the Elise, now in the lead, snuck up on me and tried to cut me off, but I blocked and when he tired to enter the pits he slammed into the pit barrier was was never heard from again. I felt miserable but happy because now I had one less opponent to deal with. So now it's me and 990's. The 993 closes in for second, but then pits. I finally have a chance at the lead, but my tires are telling me otherwise. I pit on lap 34, and the 996 laps me as I exit the pits. The 996 continues to pull away from me and the 993 until lap 996 pits on lap 37 when I pass him on pit road. However, the pass is to get back on the lead lap. For the next 63 laps, this process of reeling in, then pitting, then reeling in again would continue but on the second pit stop I left one and a half laps down, and continue to reel in on each and every pit stop until the checkers wave. Aside from pitting and warm-up laps, I didn't have a lap longer than 44.0. Still, it wasn't enough to beat that big, bad Porsche-in-disguise. I finished second, ahead of the 993 and behind the 996. Final finish was a lap ahead of the 993 and 34 seconds behind the 996. There was a Skyline and one more car in the mix, too, but they were easily taken. The little Alto that could, however, couldn't.

Moral of the story: If you've got a lightweight and you're shooting for the stars, make sure you wear steel toe boots.

Nice job on the writeup bud... I enjoyed it!

The Escudos were on a 100-day waiting list and he had nothing but Altos. I called up Dihatsu... nothing but Miras. Called up Mini USA... apparently the Cooper 1.3 was no longer produced.

Especially liked this part :lol: Very creative...

Sucks that you lost but good effort anyway!

phattboy

This car can be underated. I just recently bought one for ****s and giggles, overhauled it, and took it to the Quarter. I nearly fell off the bed when it ran a 12.3 on the quarter!! :eek:

So, SS150 enduro, a 178HP Mini vs 591HP Mine's Skyline? Who won and what was the margin of victory?

I'll post the write up here, as it seems more appropriate than starting a totally new thread, when I've seen a few guesses, as long as Victor Vance doesn't mind!

The Skyline in all actuallity don't stand a chance against a Motorsport Elise or 996 (suck-ass pit strategy is the culprit)
Plus, this was an Alto not a mini :P

Neither did the Mini against the RUF RGT (that is the 996 you refer to right?) or the MS Elise for that matter. The question was Mini vs Skyline who won!
What do you reckon?

Victor Vance
Mini vs Skyline? Take tire wear out and I'd say the Mini'd be smoked

Factor in tyre wear, and although the Mini has less than a 1/3 of the HP of the Mine's it didn't get smoked! Mildly steamed, like your Alto, but certainly not smoked! Mind if I post the write up here?

Victor Vance
Mini vs Skyline? Take tire wear out and I'd say the Mini'd be smoked

Well, I'm wondering how long did it take you to figure that one out. Busy turning left, I see? Put me to sleep with some NASCAR please.

You'll be eating your words after 5 laps around Darlington...

Smallhorses, Go ahead :)

Also, my avatar < proves good drivers (like Jeff Gordon) can do more than turn left. They beat out Scott Pruett, and Boris Said, both drivers with plenty of non-oval racing experience.

Now, you really want to be put to sleep? Try watching cookie-cutter-clad IRL or There's-a-10-in-10-chance-Ferrari-will-win F1.

Did it with the trusty Cobra. And a great battle that was, the whole way to the checkers. I won by a measly 3 seconds.

Here goes nothing...again!

So I've won SS150 many times while trying to get a Tickford or a Cliosport racecar, and while its nice to get the monotony out of the way fast by running the Speed 12 or Escudo round here, its not much of a contest! So I decided one day to make life interesting and try to win this race in my beloved Mini Cooper. With the right field, I did it, but as Victor Vance has so rightly pointed out, it was all down to "suck-ass pit strategy" by my fellow contenders.
Anyway... as this was a while ago, and due to numerous "saving" accidents, the memory card on which this happened got wiped, (and I'd taken the time to register for GTP where people are actually interested in this stuff,) I thought I'd try again, inspired by reading Victor's own epic battle round here in a lightweight. Only this time I'd preserve the race for posterity..... :P

So I pulled my little 178HP Tahiti Blue Mini to the back of the grid, already throbbing with nearly 2000 combined horses from the other runners.
A Mine's Skyline, an RUF CTR2, a Tom's X540 Chaser, a TRD Celica Sports M-Type and an RUF 3400S
As the autodrive made fun of me through the rolling start, the lights went green and we were racing! A first lap time of 51s left me trailing the 1st placed Mine's Skyline by 8.2s! As I struggled to stay in touch with the rest of the field, I was able to gain some ground on the other tortoise in the race, the TRD.
By lap 4 the Chaser was ready for the pits and we both gained a place. After lap 6, when the CTR2 pitted, we were 3rd and 4th behind the rapidly disappearing Mine's and hot-on-his-heels, the 3400S. Lap 7 saw the frontrunners dive in for fresh rubber and sometime between then and lap 10, I was able to pass the TRD and stepped into 1st place for a while.
On lap 10 after a 42.985 lap, the Mine's had already taken back 1st and pulled out a 6.7s lead by the end of the lap.
By lap 20, the Chaser had pitted 5 times already :confused: and was out of the running, while the CTR2 after 3 stops was having trouble keeping pace, like a jogger with a 60-a-day habit! :lol: The Mine's and 3400S had also pitted again and I finished the lap in 2nd place, 5.5s behind the Mine's.
At lap 30, I finished the lap in 43.791s and was still grasping 2nd place 6.3s behind the Mine's, but tyre wear on the frugal Mini was eventually beginning to tell.
After the Mine's pitted again on lap 31, I was able to enter lap 34 with a 12s advantage over him, but I pitted for the first of two stops. A 1'04.342s in-lap left me back in 3rd place, the TRD having disappeared from contention some time ago after the first of 3 pitstops. With the 3400S making stops every 7 laps and the Mine's doing 7, 8 or 9 laps between stops, this was going to be a nail-biting race for the chequered flag.
I clinched 2nd place again on lap 49 as 3400S made another stop and a 43.188 lap left me just 8.5s shy of the Mine's.
On lap 68, as my second set of tyres wore down, I began the lap 4.7s down in 2nd place, and pitted for the last time. An in-lap of 1'04.460.
As my last set of tyres came up to racing temp on lap 70, I was back in 3rd place and a whopping 49s behind the Mine's. The Mini's bravado was beginning to fade.
Alas, the Mine's had many more stops to make and the Mini was undetered in its conquest! On lap 89, the fastest lap of the race materialised 42.796s, after I'd run a series of sub 43s laps, and by lap 90 I was back into 2nd place and only 14s behind the Mine's.
The Mine's made his final stop on lap 95, and as I rounded the first bend, flat out, on lap 96, the Mine's was exiting the pit lane. It was then that I realised, the Mine's is actually quicker around the acceleration lane through the 1st bend and out onto the back straight coming out of the pits, than the Mini was flat out through the 1st bend!
The valiant Mini began lap 97 a gnats-wing off 1st place, only 1s behind the Mine's, but by then as you've guessed it was all over. 591 rampaging horses spirited the Mine's away to victory in a total time of 1'13.527, and the Mini was left to take the 2nd podium place +15.435s back after a Lionhearted display!
(RUF 3400S +1lap, TRD Celica +2laps, RUF CTR2 +4laps, Tom's Chaser +8laps)

So, its possible to win it in a Mini, just not on this occasion! ;) Always fun trying though, and isn't that what keeps us coming back time & time again? :)

So there you have it, a mildly steamed, but by no means smoked Mini!

;)
Victor Vance
Excellent effort Smallhorses :)

I applaud your courage

Cheers Fella!
This race is easily won by even the most inexperienced of racers, and it takes a real gentleman to laugh in the face of adversity in an underpowered car, and try, try again. Thanks for your original inspiration to write this! ;)

I will be back with a success story one of these days, in the meantime, enjoy the smallhorsePOWERs near misses, and yet fun, all the same!

Back