• Thread starter Duke
  • 12 comments

Duke

Keep 'em separated
Staff Emeritus
United States
Midlantic Area
GTP_Duke
At about 56% complete my first trip through the game, I'm nearly done Amateur level. I have half a dozen skipped or silver-trophy races to clean up, and the All-Japan GT is the only unstarted series. After using a stock RX-7 LM car in the amateur Japanese Championship a couple months ago, I want to do this series with a spec JGTC car. I have a prize-won Raybrig NSX, a car I've never driven.

I really want to run this series with the NSX stock, but mindful of the latter-series AI boost, I bought but didn't install NA tuneups 1 & 2 just in case. I dialed in the settings below, and only really changed the transmission autosetting and downforce between races. For most of these races I qualified, just to test the setup and to get a little warmup time since I am racing this series in short doses of play.

Car Info
stock Raybrig NSX, 497 hp
T2 super slicks

ASM: 0
TCS: 1

F/D 4.100, autosetting varies 26-32

Springs: 13.5/16.0
Ride Ht: 60mm/60mm
Bound: 4/4
Rebound: 7/7
Downforce: 0.66/0.81 to 0.72/1.00

Camber: 3.0/1.5
Toe: +0.5/-0.5
Stabilizers: 4/4
Brakes: 11/11

Phase I

Grand Valley:
This track was made for the NSX, and especially the racing versions. Long straights punctuated by sharp turns really bring out the advantages of the MR layout, and downforce helps through the sweepers.

I qualified on the pole by about 4.xxx" on T4s, so I went to T2s. T4s will be too soft for the 10-lappers anyway and I don't want to get used to the grip. On T2s I had the pole by about 1.5xx". Next to me was the Tom's Supra, which would prove to be the dominant second-place AI.

At the flag drop, I pulled out hard, followed closely by the Supra who seems to have an acceleration advantage. The whole field dogged me through the big hairpin, but I stayed to the inside and held the lead. I opened out a small margin through the climbing esses, but cold tires did me in and I went very wide on the tight hairpin, allowing the Supra to pass me cleanly, and the Pennzoil GT-R to bull me wider and take second. I hate that friggin' car. I re-passed the GT-R at the tight left entering the first tunnel, but the Supra was several seconds ahead at that point. I reeled him in a little over the next quadrant, so that I saw him leaving the second part of the final sharp esses as I was diving into the first part.

He out accelerated me through the doglegs, but I had a small top-speed advantage and I caught him on the front straight. I passed for the lead exiting the big hairpin at the start of the second lap, and was not challenged again.

Fast lap: 1':52.576"
Total: 9':38.006" (5 laps)
Margin: +5.230" (Tom's Supra)

Rome:
Again qualified on the pole by about 1.5xx". Race start was similar to GV, with the field close behind and me blowing the first big turn on cold tires. In this case it was the big left sweeper that wraps around the Coliseum, which proved difficult to carry good momentum through in the NSX on nearly every lap. I fell back to 4th place behind the Supra, GT-R, and the front half of the Mugen NSX. I regained second at the sharp right following the cobble section, and followed the Supra down the back straight. That car is squirrely under braking, as I nearly punted him as he braked hard, early, and barely under control immediately after the dogleg left leading to the sharp right. Beacuse of dumping so much momentum, I was well behind him through the short chute, but I caught him after the start/finish line and stayed ahead around the Coliseum. I believe he challenged me once or twice following that, but he never did get back around me. The margin would have been larger but I botched the last lap and played some wall tag in the section prior to the back straight. My driving throughout this race was not exceptionally smooth.

Fast lap: 1':24.769"
Total: 7':14.771" (5 laps)
Margin: +4.883" (Tom's Supra)

Phase II

Midfield Raceway
A fun drive, and I really worked on my smoothness rather than ultimate speed. After qualifying on the pole, I led the first half of the first lap until the Pennzoil GT-R punted me into the left side wall of the second tunnel, where the road crests as you're making the transition from the right sweeper to the left sweeper. I had it under control, so I guess he figured I could help him out too. Have I mentioned how much I hate that particular car? This kept me in 3rd-4th place around the sweeper by the back grandstands, though I moved up to 2nd on the back chute. I dogged the Tom's Supra through the last tunnel and passed him coming out of the last turn at the base of the front straight. I cruised 4 more laps to victory, driving very academically, and managed to avoid making any big mistakes.

Fast lap: 1':11.610"
Total: 6':13.085" (5 laps)
Margin: +4.979" (Tom's Supra)

Note:
Somewhere in here I raised the downforce up to 0.72/1.00, but i'm not sure where. I didn't up the spring rates to match, but if I go to max downforce I will probably stiffen them up a bit. It's been suggested that I max the downforce and shorten the final drive to the 4.400 range, and I'll probably investigate this advice.

SS R5 (II)
I hadn't realized this was the reverse version of this track until the car came off the jacks in Pit Lane. A new experience! All in all I was pleasantly surprised to pick up a feel for this track quickly. I actually think it flows better reversed, since many of the big turns are now uphill before a long straight rather than down hill after one. This reduces the combination of high speed/unloaded suspension that requires caution on the forward R5.

I led this race from pole to flag and had fun doing it, though the racing was not particularly close. The Supra is dominant followed by the GT-R (ugly, stupid and aggressive car that it is). The other Raybrig NSX is in the bucket, usually finishing 8"-11" down.

Fast lap: 1':23.490"
Total: 7':11.457" (5 laps)
Margin: +6.439" (Tom's Supra)

Phase III

Laguna Seca
I like this track. Not only do I like it, but I'm actually learning to drive on it. I can't stress the importance of early braking enough, and this track is a good lesson in it.

I only qualified 3rd here, because the gearing was still set fairly tall from the long straight at R5. I took the spot and adjusted the gearing down to 26 before starting the race. I worked my way to the lead heading uphill to the Corkscrew, then promptly spun in that turn. I normally blip the throttle just a touch in the middle to reorient the car from left to right. This is apparently a mistake in a mid-engine car on cold tires, because it snapped around, landing me back in 4th. I spent the next lap or so regaining the lead, and passed the GT-R in the first left dogleg before the uphill run. I managed to hold the lead for the remaining three laps, though I never did get a good smooth and fast run through the Corkscrew. I could gain 1.5xx" on the rest of the lap, only to lose a second in that one spot. This and the 3rd-place start really narrowed my margin a bit. The GT-R for some reason was dominant here, which is great because it cost the Supra some points and widened my series lead.

Fast lap: 1':23.456" (really!)
Total: 7':06.591" (5 laps)
Margin: +1.888" (Nismo GT-R)

Super Speedway
Dull as always. I launched from 2nd spot but I had set my gearing too wide/tall at 32 so I had to hang with the GT-R and Supra. Once my tires warmed up I could run flat out around the wide end and just touch the brakes at the narrow end, so I got around the field for good. Figuring out exactly where to downshift to 5th, and where not to, also opened up my lead.

I could have done a lot better here by making speedway-type adjustments to the NSX, such as lowering it all the way and chopping the downforce, but it just wasn't worth the effort.

The Pennzoil GT-R was following me in 2nd place, about 3.xxx" seconds down, when it pitted on the 9th of 10 laps. This gave Tom the second-place points, and the GT-R finished last, down by more than 20.xxx". Ugly, aggressive, and stupid.

Fast lap: 35.597"
Total: 6':07.023" (10 laps)
Margin: +4.117" (Tom's Supra)

Nice one Duke!:thumbsup:

You and Der Alta have showed me a new light by not using fully modded cars in the races.I've learned not to use my F090/s in every race possible(or any other overly powerful car for that matter).Thanx a bunch guys!:cool:

Thanks, jubula. When I started out the game, I was trying to buy as few cars as possible, so I would run whatever I had that qualified in some races. This had me driving, say, the Camaro racecar in the Beginner Stars & Stripes, because it was the only American car I owned. Blowouts like that got boring quickly.

What has really improved my driving has been entering some of the spot races and other OLR competitions here. By trying to match other human drivers in similar or identical cars (as well as discussing it with them), I've really improved my driving skill a lot. That in turn has enabled me to have fun driving against the AI in similar or even underpowered cars. I tune my driving technique in practice runs for the OLR competition, and I learn about how to deal with traffic in the AI races.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it too. Der Alta really has been an inspiration to me here as well.

Originally posted by neon_duke
Thanks, jubula. When I started out the game, I was trying to buy as few cars as possible, so I would run whatever I had that qualified in some races. This had me driving, say, the Camaro racecar in the Beginner Stars & Stripes, because it was the only American car I owned. Blowouts like that got boring quickly.

What has really improved my driving has been entering some of the spot races and other OLR competitions here. By trying to match other human drivers in similar or identical cars (as well as discussing it with them), I've really improved my driving skill a lot. That in turn has enabled me to have fun driving against the AI in similar or even underpowered cars. I tune my driving technique in practice runs for the OLR competition, and I learn about how to deal with traffic in the AI races.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it too. Der Alta really has been an inspiration to me here as well.

It's all a big cycle isn't it:P

Phase IV

Apricot Hill
Through my own stupidity, I had to run this race twice. The first time I did it by the book; qualifying on the pole, adjusting, etc. I led from the green flag, and was cruising to a 5"+ victory when my attention wandered for a moment, and I spun in the kitty litter after the first turn of the last lap. I got back on track in 5th place, and worked my way up to 2nd, but I just couldn't catch the Tom's Supra in time and finished about 1.5" down. So I reloaded from the end of the previous race, and this time I didn't bother to qualify. Of course, I forgot to re-adjust all the lost settings so the car was not particularly well set up for this race. Nonetheless, I worked my way through most of the crowd in the first half of the first lap, and picked off 2nd place in the downhill hairpin. I closed on the Supra , got a good run on him on the uphill left leading to the start/finish, and slingshot passed him on the front straight of lap 2. I didn't exactly drive away from him but I did fend off his challenges for the win. My frustration at blowing the first race really had an impact, and my laptimes were not as clean or fast on this go-around.

Fast lap: 1':20.166"
Total: 6':52.096" (5 laps)
Margin: +3.156" (Tom's Supra)

Note: This was the 7th race of the series, and the AI seem to have gotten some boost. I have a small top speed advantage over the Supra, but am definitely lagging in acceleration compared to earlier in the series.

Phase V

Grand Valley II
For this race I followed Der Alta's advice and maxed the downforce, increasing the spring rates to match, and upping the final drive to 4.400.

I'm comfortable on this track, so I skipped qualifying. The AI have definitely received a boost here, as I was only able to pass the Loctite GT-R (perennial back marker) after the launch, and I was losing a little ground on the straights to just about everybody else. I went through the tight S-bend in the crowd, doing a good job avoiding much contact, when one of the GT-Rs plowed into the rear of the crowd, which had the effect of a good break shot in a game of 8-ball. When everything sorted out, I was in 3rd heading across the big bridge. As before, the NSXs had the advantage here. I could carry a lot more speed than the Supra through the turns, particularly the hairpins, following the Mugen NSX. The AI consistently played bumper cars in the first tight ess, despite my efforts to avoid them, which made it difficult to get clear of traffic in this area. The Supra still had a big advantage - acceleration and top speed now - on the straights, but I was able to pass him for good in the first tunnel of the third lap. Apparently the Mugen NSX did too.

Oddly enough, I notice as I'm writing this up that my times were within hundredths of a second on this track both forward and reversed. Interesting!
Fast lap: 1':52.496"
Total: 9':38.600" (5 laps)
Margin: +6.431" (Mugen NSX)

SS R11
This is the 9th race in the series, and the AI has definitely received a big boost as all the cars are able to out-accelerate me both at low and high speeds. To make matters worse my oil light came on somewhere during the GVII race so my horsepower is falling rapidly. Before this race it was down 10 hp to 487. R11 is not my strongest track, so I went back to qualifying, where I managed to grab the pole by decimal seconds over the Supra.

This didn't help, since again one of the GT-Rs runined everybody's line in the first tight turn, and I got stuck on the outside wall while the rest of the field slipped by. The car was handling well though, and despite my power loss I was able to work my way cleanly to the lead after dicing with the Mugen NSX and the Tom's Supra throughout laps 2 and 3. On lap 4 I was a little slow at the hard left leading to the offset straight, and apparently that had consequences at the other end (near the Ferris Wheel), because I had completed my braking and was rolling back into the throttle in the short right turn that ends that long straight when the Supra made a divebombing pass on the inside, nearly took my front end off, and slammed into the wall at the left. I was startled completely since I had thought him several seconds behind me. Luckily he didn't interfere with my acceleration, and I walked right past him as he recovered. The other Raybrig NSX had apparently gotten lucky as well. It had never finished above 4th in the previous races, but the Raybrig team cruised to a 1-2 finish that night, making the sponsor proud, I'm sure.

Fast lap: 1':56.243"
Total: 9':56.915" (5 laps)
Margin: +5.397" (Raybrig NSX)

At this juncture, I was in the points lead with
90 points, and thanks to some late-series shuffling the Tom's Supra was still in second but with only 46 or so points. I saved the game, then reran the first 30 seconds of the last race until I came up with the car I wanted, the Denso Sard Supra.

I was also very surprised to be awarded with the Oreca Viper GTS for completion of Amateur level. I have gold in all series, but there are several skipped races still open in this level. Apparently that doesn't matter though I'm sure it does for 100%.

Phase VI

Tokyo R246 II
I'm also comfortable on this track, and so I skipped qualifying when I went back to finish out this series after changing the Raybrig's dirty brown 220-mile oil. Because it was a single race the field shuffled a bit, but not much. The field still recieved a boost, since even with fresh oil the car was only just on par with the field. Starting from 6th, this led me to get caught in traffic a couple of times, particularly in the hard right at the end of the front straight. The closeness of the racing made for a lot of fun, as the NSX was still handling wonderfully. As the tires warmed up, I was able to carry a lot more speed through the fast curvy sections, which allowed me to get a good lead going. Early turn-in on the first sharp turn cost me a few seconds of lead, as I scrubbed the inside jersey wall, which pushed the car to outside and up onto the curb. However I held the lead and ran the last lap to victory, finishing out the series.

Fast lap: 1':37.698"
Total: 8':22.475" (5 laps)
Margin: +3.641" (Denso Supra)

In retropect this was a very fun series, though I wish I had run the first 5 or so races without qualifying. It's always fun to work through traffic if you know you can make it. I'm really glad I was able to win this series in an unmodified JGTC-spec car.

VdrSain asked for the final car setup. Here it is:

stock Raybrig NSX, 473-497 hp
T2 super slicks

ASM: 0
TCS: 1

F/D 4.400, autosetting varies 26-28

Springs: 16.5/20.0
Ride Ht: 60mm/60mm
Bound: 4/4
Rebound: 7/7
Downforce: 1.00/1.25

Camber: 3.0/1.5
Toe: +0.5/-0.5
Stabilizers: 4/4
Brakes: 11/11

Basically, spring rates are adjusted in proportion to other adjustments. If lowering the car, increase the spring rate by the same percentage that you decreased the ride height. If you raise the downforce setting, increase the spring rate by the same percentage. If you lighten the car, decrease the spring rate by the same percentage that you decrease the car's weight.

Good report, Neon_Duke! The Castrol Supra is the most challenging AI opponent in my race too, I just hope that I get a Denso Supra or that NSX when I finish the races! Someone said that he plays all races with F1 car. That's my opinion, but I want real challenges!
Neon_duke you said you have a RX-7 LM Race car! That's really good car! I have it too.

VdrSain: The Raybrig is a purpose-built race car and has a lot of aerodynamic modifications. With downforce like that it is more than doubling its apparent weight when at speed. The NSX-R lacks downforce, so I would say that the spring settings shown here are waaaaayy too high for the Type R. That is also what's driving the short final drive ratio and wide-ish autosetting, so that the engine can overcome the drag caused by the cranked-up downforce settings. Camber, toe, dampers and stabilizers settings would probably translate fine for the Type R. The Raybrig was neutral with a little oversteer when set up this way; just perfect. It would be a good start for the Type R, say with spring rates about half of these values. Then you can balance the handling to your liking with stabilizer or damper changes.

Finnman: Welcome to GTP, and thanks for the compliment. I started doing these writeups after reading a few of Der Alta's, which gave me a ton of information about what was feasible during my early days in the game. I agree that it's more fun when it is challenging, and jubula said earlier that he's learning to like it better too!

Finn, do you know about the "Save-and-reload" trick? You can use this trick to make sure you get the car you want from the random drawing, if you are more than 10 points ahead of the second place AI car. I assume you know you can save between each race of the series so that you don't have to run all 10 at once. After your next-to-last race, save the game, then use the Next button to move on to the last race. Just start the race without qualifying, and run a few seconds of it, then exit the race. Since you are ahead in points, it will award you the championship and one of the prize cars. If it is the car you want, save your game again. If it's not, then use the triangle button all the way back to the startup menu screen, and reload your game. It will revert to the results page from the next-to-last race, and you can try again. Keep doing this until you get the car you want, or even the color you want (if you have patience for it). The car selection it gives you is random, but it is seeded from the elapsed time of your race - so if you keep getting the same car, vary your run time. Try running just a second or two, or try running half a lap before exiting the race. After you have the car you want, you can go back and run the last race as a single event to complete your trophy collection.

And yeah, I like my RX-7 LM. I'll probably get a lot of use out of it in Pro level. The only other LM car I have is the Altezza, which I haven't had a chance to drive yet.

Nice to see this board getting some traffic! Have fun, guys.

Thanks, N_D! This is really great GT3 discussion place! I was just surfing around in some GT3 sites and one site had a link called 'forum'. I pushed it, and here I am.

Oh yes,your little trick. I knew that . I've used it only one time, because I got bored for that race. Or actually two times because I got a bad prize car.

Originally posted by Finnman

Oh yes,your little trick. I knew that . I've used it only one time, because I got bored for that race. Or actually two times because I got a bad prize car.
Good, I'm glad you know it. You said in your post above that you 'hoped' you'd get the Denso Supra, and wanted to make sure you knew that you could guarantee you'd get it.

I forgot to ask before - what are you running in this series? It was a lot of fun in the Raybrig. I want to try again in the CLK Touring Car.

I got the Calsonic Skyline at the first try, but luckily I had saved the game before last round. On the second try, I got the Denso Supra! I used Calsonic Skyline in this series so I quess it's not a surprise that I loaded the last round again!

Back