• 12 comments

Duke

Keep 'em separated
Staff Emeritus
United States
Midlantic Area
GTP_Duke
Series Report - Amateur GT World Championship

I originally attempted this series using the Mercedes CLK Touring Car (unmodified, at 440 hp). The competition: Castrol Tom's Supra, Loctite Zexel GT-R (or Storm V12, I forget), Pennzoil GT-R, Oreca Viper GTR, Arta NSX. Though marginal on power, the CLK would beat the field by 1 to 5 seconds (total) for the first 5 races, thanks to not pitting (medium slicks). However, I had forgotten about the 6th-race boost that the AI gets. Starting at Trial Mountain, I got beaten like a drum with this car. I never qualified above 3rd and never finished above 5th.

OK, time to suck it up and try again using my new RX-7 LM, unmodified, at 600 hp, medium slicks. The AI changed the field, deleting the Supra, Loctite GT-R, and NSX. Instead the competition was: Oreca Viper GTR, Corvette C5R, Storm V12, Pennzoil Skyline GT-R, and Castrol NSX. I was not familiar with driving the RX-7 LM, but as expected, it easily won the first 5 'weak-AI' races. I used that time for suspension tweaking and arrived at a good, mild-oversteer handling setup. I didn't qualify for any of the first 5 races, starting from the basement of the grid.

Interestingly, when I used the more powerful RX-7, the computer substituted in the Corvette, even though it was rarely as fast as the Viper except by pit strategy. The C5R typically pitted after the third lap, while the Viper pitted after the fourth lap, allowing the 'Vette to take over second place. The Storm was never a factor in any race, and I think I'll pass on winning it if I have a choice.

Tokyo R246
Best Lap: 1':37.42"
Total: 8':16.35" (5 laps)
Margin: +7.06", C5R

Laguna Seca
Best Lap: 1':20.72"
Total: 6':58.14" (5 laps)
Margin: +4.53", Viper

Apricot Hill
Best Lap: 1':18.329"
Total: 6':50.656" (5 laps)
Margin: +7.92", NSX

Deep Forest
Best Lap: 1':10.950"
Total: 6':21.95" (5 laps)
Margin: +5.54", C5R

Tokyo R5
Best Lap: 1':22.017"
Total: 7':04.172" (5 laps)
Margin: +10.752", NSX

Starting from 6th for all these races, I was typically in 2nd place by the end of the first lap, and dicing back and forth with the leader (usually the Viper) throughout laps 2,3,and 4. I never got first place from the leader pitting; that usually just affected who was second. The NSX emerged as the surprising runner up because it never pitted. With half the series down, I braced for the soon-to-be-stiffer competition.

Trial Mountain
Best Lap: 1':23.598"
Total: 7':12.844" (5 laps)
Margin: +6.842', NSX

The first of the bumpercar races. I got so tired of looking at the C5R's fat butt blocking me through every corner that I thought about ramming it just for a change of scenery. Same scenario as the first five races, but much harder to achieve. Most of the passes that I made stick where on the two uphill straights after the last tunnel. I was just about to pass the Viper at the end of lap 4 when it handed me the lead by pitting.

Seattle Circuit
Best Lap: 1':33.137"
Total: 8':02.769" (5 laps)
Margin: -12.58", Viper

The Viper ran away and stayed away. Imagine my chagrin when it didn't pit as usual, and beat me soundly. The C5R was very annoying and did quite a bit of shoving me in this race. We traded second numerous times until he pitted after lap 4.

Midfield Raceway II
Best Lap: 1':09.547"
Total: 5':58.390" (5 laps)
Margin: +1.55", NSX

I won this race the first time I ran it, by a narrow margin. Then I forgot to save before moving on. Which meant that after I reloaded the game to run R11 over, I found myself on the Midfield grid again. This time it took me about 6 tries, because the Pennzoil GT-R rammed me in every turn that required a downshift, without fail. He was trying to conserve his brakes, so he used mine, I guess. After repeating this numerous times, sometimes after 3 or 4 good laps, I got really sick of it. On the first lap of the last race, I put him into the boards at the braking point of the first turn, which at least let me make it through the sharp right after the tunnel without being spun. Having gotten that far, it was mostly a matter of whittling away at the C5R and the Viper. I managed to tow the NSX to a fairly tight second place, somehow. The key to this track is being able to stay inside and really late-apexing your turns. After finally getting a clean victory, I had the series lead by 42 points. This time I remembered to save, you can bet.

Tokyo R11
Best Lap: horrible
Total: even worse (5 laps)
Margin: 6th, huge

Most people seem to dislike Seattle, but R11 is my arch-nemesis. It's tedious yet very difficult to drive. Brake-point landmarks are impossible to see, and the straights seem to change length with every lap. I hate this course the way Der Alta hates Seattle: with a deep, steady hatred that blazes forth into white-hot fury every so often. I ran the race, starting from 3rd and finishing last by a huge margin. The RX-7 itself was acting childish, alternately understeering and making snap spins. It didn't help that the GT-R was still playing freelance proctologist on me every chance it got. I actually finished with red rear tires from spinning so many times.

Grand Valley
Best Lap: ??
Total: ?? (5 laps)
Margin: ??

Filled with disgust from my treatment at R11, and tired from my repeated attempts at Midfield, I quit this race on the grid. The PS2 saved its own life by awarding me the GT One road car on the first go. I'm confident that I can re-run it in the RX-7 and win without giving myself a thrombosis. Someday when I have a really good mood to kill, I will go back and try R11 as well. When I do, I'll fill in the blanks in the report above.

This race series taught me something about the RX-7 LM: it's amazing how frequently the way out of trouble with this car is to get back into the throttle, hard. The car was slightly unstable under braking; a little low on torque, but fast as anything in the upper revs. Any time I had stability problems, I could pick a moment where I was pointed decently, nail it, and be back in the driver's seat. If only I could drive the GT40 like that.

Well, having re-run Grand Valley in the RX-7 LM, I must admit my confidence may be misplaced. I cannot keep up with the Viper, even without pitting.

I may have to go back and mop up with the GT One road car. I hate to do that.

Man, I wish you had posted this yesterday... I took my CLK Touring Car to this series and got embarrassed in the same fashion. I didn't even bother to continue past Midfield II, I was getting stomped so badly. Live and learn, huh?

At least now I have some quality feedback to work with so I can prevent a repeat performance. Nice job man, you can rest assured your frustration isn't in vain.

:(
Maybe mine wasn't, but yours was! I posted this on Thursday afternoon... At least now we both know it wasn'y just us!
:smilewink
Anyway, good luck. My future long-series strategy is going to be: buy all the power upgrades before starting, then install them only as required to remain competitive as the series progresses.

I'm tired of blowing away the early races just so I have a chance in the later races. I hate to bring a bazooka to the opening skirmish, just to be prepared for the tank hiding over the hill. So to speak.

Excellent Commentary Duke.....great job of writing. I too have experience my butt being wiped by the Viper Oreca on Seattle circuit because i am a perfectionist in this game and want to race the AI cars cleanly pass only when possible by not touching...good luck. Also, the car i am driving has 429hp compared to the vipers over 600. I can compete with the car on one to one basis when taking my qualifying laps but when starting from the rear and all the butt ramming and jostling going on it gets like 12-15 seconds ahead.

By the way, my time on TokyoR246 in this same championship series is 1min 32seconds...not too bad huh in the vertigo Dodge race car with no mods only the sport tires it came with...

my 2 cents:) :D :)

neon duke:

You should be happy as i rammed the Pennzoil Skyline coming into the final hairpin at Tokyo.;) :lol: Now he's looking to repass me so he can get rammed coming into turn 1.:P I finally got him one final time coming into turn 4.:D

yup, great stuff.... gonna do this real soon and maybe do a small writeup...
havent picked a car yet tho. i'll have to see whats in me garage.

i want to win the silvia

I was watching the replay for the first race @ Tokyo and noticed that after the C5R and Viper pitted; they miracously caught up to the field in that same lap and turned inhumanly fast laps.

*Definite proof of AI cheating:rolleyes: *

that made interesting and very very funny readin - Especially about the ps2 saving its own life !!! I might have a crack at the same races tonight ?? Should be fun :D

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but upon searching, it is comforting to know I'm not alone in my experience. I saved after winning the first five races and have had nothing but trouble since. This morning, before going to work (I can't believe I raced before work, but that's another story), I managed to hang on and finish 3rd in the 6th race at Trial Mt. I'm using the Camaro Race Car. Figuring I'd play on my good fortune, I went on to the 7th race at Seattle (I HATE THIS TRACK), led most of it, but fell to 5th. Still, better than my previous consistent 6th place finishes. Races 8 through 10 after work today.

Yeah, I tried this a while back in the Lister Storm V12, cruised the 1st 5 races and after the AI boost in the 6th race, got creamed all the way to the finish and wound up 2nd overall to the Oreca Viper. Shame they ruined this series with such an obvious kicker for the AI.

JB: there's no shame in bringing up old threads when you're actually adding to them. And I remember waking up early and sneaking a race or two in before getting in the shower... looking forward to doing that again with GT4!
👍
Good luck on the rest of your run!

Back