• Thread starter Duke
  • 3 comments

Duke

Keep 'em separated
Staff Emeritus
United States
Midlantic Area
GTP_Duke
For no particular reason, I decided to run the Amateur Type R Meeting. My weapon was the yellow Honda Integra :r: I had bought for the Beginner series, and also used in the Amateur FF series. For those races it was nearly stock; using only lightweight 1, medium slicks, and sport suspension.

I knew from qualifying I needed more power. This is also the first series in which I remembered to have reserve upgrades waiting. I began with lightweight 2, sport I/E, chip, headwork, and LSD, for a total of 284hp with oil change. In reserve was race I/E, NA 2, and the race transmission.

Tokyo R246
I like this course. I managed to qualify 2nd, about 1.5xx" behind the NSX-R. I decided to go for it, figuring that some judicious rubbing might make up the difference. Wrong-o! What I couldn't know about was the huge power delivery advantage the NSX had. At the green, he simply put the balls to the wall and instantly grabbed a huge 4-5 second lead. The rest of the pack was FWD and we were left gasping at the line. I tried my best, but that plus my per-lap shortfall meant that I finished a lonely 2nd.

Power: 284hp
Best lap: 01':57.222"
Total: 09':57.280" (5 laps)
Margin: -15.35" NSX R
Field: +25.xx" (3rd) Civic R

Tokyo R11
I hate this course. However, the closest I've come to liking it is driving this little yellow hotrod there. I had meant to add the power upgrades, but somehow only managed to install the racing trans. This was a big help given the contrast between tight and long on R11. Because I was still down on power, the qualifying and results were very similar to R246.

Power: 284hp
Best lap: 02':13.861"
Total: 11':30.668" (5 laps)
Margin: -15.489" NSX R
Field: +36.xx" (3rd) Integra R

Super Speedway
I was extremely happy to find out that A) the next course was an easy one; and B) I had nearly 40 extra hp waiting patiently to be installed. The NSX still had an incredible launch advantage, but adjusting the 6-speed trans to a very tall final drive and dropping the car to the bump snubbers allowed me to blow by on the second lap and never look back. In fact I lapped 3 cars out of the field and was within seconds of lapping the other ITR in 3rd.

Power: 320hp
Best lap: 00':41.891"
Total: 07':08.019" (10 laps)
Margin: +11.958" NSX R
Field: +38.xx" Integra R (3rd), +1 lap Civic R and both Accords

Tokyo R246 II
Armed with my new power, I was able to put the 'Teg on the pole by alittle over 1 second. I still lost the lead milliseconds after the green, but not so badly this time. I diced with the NSX, having good racing fun, and passed him for good after coming out of the last turn on lap 2. I noticed the NSX went wide on track out nearly every turn, tagging the wall many times. My laps were not perfectly clean, but nothing that couldn't have been painted over. This was an excellent race. The long straights and sweepers minimized the NSX's superior power delivery. Winning this race tied me with the NSX at 32 points each going into the last race of the series.

Power: 322hp
Best lap: 01':56.592"
Total: 09':53.992" (5 laps)
Margin: +4.110" NSX R
Field: +1':01.3xx" Civic R (3rd)

Cote d'Azur (Monaco)
This one worried me from the outset. The medium-length straights really helped the NSX: not short enough that I could keep up, and not long enough that I could catch up. Plus I wasn't very experienced here. I ended up running the race twice to win.

In the first go-round, I claimed the pole by almost exactly half a second. Lost the lead on the launch, but I had caught the NSX and was dicing with him by the 3rd lap. Then he piledrivered me into the rail end at the inside of the hairpin, stopping me dead and making me grab reverse to back off the curb. I fought valiantly to reel him back in, going from 5+ seconds behind down to about a second over the last 4 laps. If I had another lap I probably could have pulled out a narrow victory, but time ran out.

So I reloaded the game (always remember to save between events, kiddies) and requalified for the last race. With a few more laps under my belt, I got the pole by about 1.1xx". As always, the NSX jumped out and took off, the uphill climb after the first turn letting him widen his lead a little. I was pressuring him heavily during the 2nd lap, and swapping the lead through the 3rd. By the middle of the 4th lap I decided to ensure victory rather than run this race yet again. Consequently I railgunned him into the tire wall at the chicane after the tunnel, figuring I owed him one from the first race. This allowed me to secure the lead, though he recovered quickly and was only 1.5 seconds down. I drove like the devil himself was after me, and widened that gap considerably over the last 3 laps. My 6th lap was not great but my 7th was a blistering (for me), clean run that was my fastest of the race by nearly a second.

Power: 324hp
Best lap: 01':49.945"
Total: 13':11.201" (7 laps)
Margin: +5.529" NSX R
Field: +58.407" Integra R (3rd)

This won me the championship by a narrow margin. Because we were tied after the 4th race, I couldn't be choosy about the prize car. Luckily I got the Mugen S2000 (already have a Spoon). An NSX-R would have been nice too but the MS2k will be more useful at the moment.

The little ITR endeared itself even further to me in this series. It handles well even on sport suspension, the brakes are fantastic, and it loves to be tossed around. After dialing in rear stiffness, the handling stayed neutral until I was making over 280 hp, and power-on understeer wasn't a serious issue until 320 hp.

It should be noted that in five races, neither of the two Accord Rs ever finished less than a minute out of first place.
:Paperbag:

Rereading this, I have some post-series comments I forgot to make last night.

1) I'm done buying anything less than the full race suspension. I've already learned my lesson with the transmission and the LSD. Either go first class with these items, or save the money entirely.

Power upgrades are a different story. Each one has different trade-offs involved between torque peak and horsepower, which makes Stage 1 or 2 better under some conditions.

2) I ran this series with my usual ASM-0/TCS-1 settings. I could have been faster with this car by setting the TCS to 2 or even 3. As has been proven time and time again, 300+hp is just too much for a FWD car to put down effectively. I frequently scratched all the way through 2nd and 3rd between the two hairpins in the switchback.

I tried a variety of different launch techniques for the start, none of which really worked. In fact, one time I sat there howling for traction for half a second until the other ITR, 3rd on the grid, moved up and shoved me off the line.

Ahhh...
Neon_Duke comes up with another one.

Very interesting about the launch notes. In recent times, I've been dropping the ASM and TCS to Zero, in Pursuit of better lap times. One of the side effects has been considerably poorer launches. My recent runs through this in the Spoon Civis show the AI times as being nearly identical.

I ran a total time of 9'23.121 around Tokyo R246, with the NSX TR being 20.821 behind me for a total of 9'43.942. While your write-up shows your time at 9'57.280, being 15.35 seconds behind the NSX TR....He finished in 9'41.930 For a difference of 0.012 seconds. I'd say that fairly good proof that the AI didn't get any bonus in this round. Although the NSX TR ran a second+ difference from the NSX TR on your race. Still good to see the race times so comparable.

Always glad to read anothers thoughts on the race. You went into considerably more detail than I did for the compendium.

Good luck

AO

Before I do anything else, I'm going back with the additional power and clean up the two silvers on the first races.

I'll be interested to see the revised outcome of the R246 race. I don't think I'll be able to pull 7 seconds per lap out of my times to beat you!
:eek:

Latest Posts

Back