America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 37,823 comments
It wasn't an opinion that these companies are quietly laying off hundreds or thousands of workers while very loudly patting themselves on the back for giving out a few bonuses. You're far from the first person I've seen trumpeting these bonuses as evidence of Trump's economic prowess, and yet none of you want to talk about the layoffs. Curious, that.
Personally, I don't see the problem with closing inefficient and likely money-losing stores while giving your employees in the successful stores that you are keeping open, a raise and a bonus. These are vast, vast businesses with many moving parts , these things happen. It's the companies themselves that are touting the tax reform as the impetus for the wage increase and bonuses. If you have an issue take it up with them. And, as I correctly pointed out earlier, it's all opinions on opinions on opinions. No one can prove any cause and effect either way.

It's in Wal-Mart's interest to downplay the [Sam's Club] closings and tout the wage increases and bonuses--it's basic spin.

It's also true that neither Trump nor anyone in his administration (that I'm aware of, anyway) has touted these benefits.

I still don't think there's a causal link between the closings and raises as they relate to the tax bill--it's just business. Sam's Club is losing significant market share to Costco (surprise, surprise) and has to close stores.

I think the confusion--and frustration--stems from Trumps tendency to overstate supposed accomplishments ("...doing huge things...helping lots of people...so important...so great...").

Edit: No words from Trump regarding his ":censored:hole" comment after honoring King. I guess it's not as important as talking about "Pocahontas" while meeting with Navajo codetalkers.

Last edited:
Donald Trump apparently has labelled Haiti and other countries like it as :censored:holes. It came during a lengthy (read: tiresome?) debate on extending protections to immigrants from countries such as Haiti.

He does know words. The best words. The most tactful words.
I agree that a president, like any politician, should be tactful. Tact should be a prerequisite for public office. Trump clearly lacks it. Just because Haiti is indeed a **** hole, it not is not excusable for a head of state to pronounce that word in public.

However, the president of the USA should above everything else be realistic. That is because of the awesome responsibilities and power that are placed upon that particular office. Given a choice between Trump, Pence and Oprah, I would choose Trump. I would reject Pence because of his apocalyptic evangelistic Christian religion. I like Oprah because she is vey empathetic, sympathetic, and most people relate well with her on an emotional level. Before voting for her, I would need to be convinced she could make the hard choices when the chips are down. So far, I haven't seen that part of her.

All that said, I find many things about Trump to be very worrying. Apparently to shore up his failing political support, he has reneged on many of his campaign promises. He has made common cause with militant neocons and Zionists far more than he has with voters who believed his promises of peace and reduced conflict. While prosperity for corporations and the elite are now assured, prosperity for the working man remains as elusive as ever. During his campaign I identified him as a "loose cannon". I can now add "dangerous" to that appellation. For me to feel more comfortable, we would have to go deeper, maybe much deeper, into the line of succession.

However, the president of the USA should above everything else be realistic.

Of course. Fortunately the Norwegians play Call of Duty, otherwise this might be called "unrealistic".

"Trump lauded delivery of F-52s to Norway. The planes only exist in Call of Duty".

“In November we started delivering the first F-52s and F-35 fighter jets,” Trump said. “We have a total of 52 and they’ve delivered a number of them already a little ahead of schedule.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-norway-the-planes-only-exist-in-call-of-duty

I couldn't access WaPo today, but found this. All I can add is that I hope Norway likes the airplane. It has experienced uh, problems, in development. It is intended to replacement the outstanding F-16, a very hard act to follow.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-us-sold-norway-f-52s-2018-1

donald%20trump.jpg
President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference with Norwegian Prime Minster Erna Solberg in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2018, in Washington. AP Photo/Evan Vucci

President Donald Trump said the US had sold Norway F-52 fighter jets during a joint press conference with Prime Minister Erna Solberg on Wednesday.

But no such aircraft exists. The president may have misspoke because the US has sold Norway 52 F-35s.

Oslo received the first three last November.

Trump is getting roasted on Twitter for his gaffe.

Edit; historical note
I grew up living right next door to Dyess AFB, Texas, and was treated to shows of the most iconic fighters of the '50's, including the F-86 and the F-104. The most amazing thing I saw was a low alititude overflight of the rare and awesome B-36's. In the 80's, I worked on B-2 Stealth bomber wing tooling for Boeing.

Last edited:
It appears as though Sadiq Khan is being just as silly, the president of the u.s. is not welcome in London? :lol:

That is an insult to most of America I would have to guess, it is to me and I'm about as anti Trump as they come.

It appears as though Sadiq Khan is being just as silly, the president of the u.s. is not welcome in London? :lol:

That is an insult to most of America I would have to guess, it is to me and I'm about as anti Trump as they come.
Well it would help if you actually used is words before making that claim:

“It appears that President Trump got the message from the many Londoners who admire America and Americans but find his policies and actions the polar opposite of our city’s values of inclusion, diversity, and tolerance,” Khan wrote. “This just reinforces what a mistake it was for [Prime Minister] Theresa May to rush and extend an invitation of a state visit in the first place.”"

"Many Londoners have made it clear that Donald Trump is not welcome here while he is pursuing such a divisive agenda. It seems he’s finally got that message."

http://time.com/5100568/sadiq-khan-trump-london-embassy/

But don't let what he really said get in the way.

However Londoners may well have reason to take issue with the man who said..

"We have places in London and other places that are so radicalised that the police are afraid for their own lives. We have to be very smart and very vigilant."

.....as they generally take issue with utter ******** aimed at them.

https://news.sky.com/story/trump-police-fear-for-lives-in-radical-london-10336732

Last edited:
Well it would help if you actually used is words before making that claim:

You think I'm cherry picking something out of context? That's not the case at all, I've read up on it and the dude is acting a child if you ask me and it is insulting(It's an insult to exactly who we are, how our governing system works, and who represents us in foreign affairs. ). What is is, we'll welcome him to our town as long as he agrees to change his agenda? :lol:

👎

You think I'm cherry picking something out of context? That's not the case at all, I've read up on it and the dude is acting a child if you ask me and it is insulting. What is is, we'll welcome him to our town as long as he agrees to change his agenda? :lol:

👎

He called for no state visit for Trump, not for a ban on Trump coming. A state visit is quite a different thing, he's also not the only person to have done so, quite a few have, including many in the UK Parliament.

You should also take a close look at the source you just used before complaining about cherry picking, given that you just quoted a Russian state sponsored news agency with a track record of quote mining!

The ful text of which (with context) is:

Mr Khan said today: “President Trump yesterday used twitter to promote a vile, extremist group that exists solely to sow division and hatred in our country.

Many Brits who love America and Americans will see this as a betrayal of the special relationship between our two countries.

It beggars belief that the president of our closest ally doesn't see that his support of this extremist group actively undermines the values of tolerance and diversity that makes Britain so great.
As the Mayor of this great diverse city, I have previously called on Theresa May to cancel her ill-judged offer of a state visit to President Trump.

After this latest incident, it is increasingly clear that any official visit at all from President Trump to Britain would not be welcomed.

The Prime Minister of our country should be using any influence she and her government claim to have with the President and his administration to ask him to delete these tweets and to apologise to the British people."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...yal-of-the-special-relationship-a3705966.html

Then again maybe some of us are just a bit odd about taking issue with the circulation of far right propaganda from a group that influenced a person who assassinated a standing MP. Less odd however is that RT missed that context out, particularly given that they are big fans of far-right nationalists groups.

Last edited:
You should also take a close look at the source you just used before complaining about cherry picking, given that you just quoted a Russian state sponsored news agency with a track record of quote mining!

It was a joke to post that exact video but the truth remains the same. What I am seeing is a desire to move everything to mob rule democracy as long as that mob agrees with the man in charge. Here we are seeing a hope that americans can be loved and invited but their leader sucks, no such disconnect exists in the real world. I'll put it this way...

Trump is my president as he is everyone else's president who live in the u.s., What people fail to see is that we have exactly what we've asked for. Don't like it? Change yourself and you'll be represented differently.

The people spoke at the polls, we'd better do something about all this rampid left wing craziness sweeping the nation and restore some sanity and common sense. Everyone cannot have their own public restroom, snowflakes are only special as it relates to snow, but the biggest reason Trump was elected IMO is simple, he promised to uphold the constitution and that is something sorely needed. He's keeping up with that as well so good on him.

Not exactly on topic but it's something I had already posted to a friend so :)

It was a joke to post that exact video but the truth remains the same.
Nope it doesn't.

Quote mining something to remove context does make it the truth, quite the opposite.

What I am seeing is a desire to move everything to mob rule democracy as long as that mob agrees with the man in charge. Here we are seeing a hope that americans can be loved and invited but their leader sucks, no such disconnect exists in the real world. I'll put it this way...

Trump is my president as he is everyone else's president who live in the u.s., What people fail to see is that we have exactly what we've asked for. Don't like it? Change yourself and you'll be represented differently.
Doesn't want mob rule democracy.....

The people spoke at the polls,
...then praises it!

we'd better do something about all this rampid left wing craziness sweeping the nation and restore some sanity and common sense. Everyone cannot have their own public restroom, snowflakes are only special as it relates to snow, but the biggest reason Trump was elected IMO is simple, he promised to uphold the constitution and that is something sorely needed. He's keeping up with that as well so good on him.
Finishes off with some fantasy and a dash of ad-hominem attack.

Not exactly on topic but it's something I had already posted to a friend so :)
Seriously, did you just throw a snowflake dig around while taking issue that people in London may not want Trump to visit?

Turning an objection about Trump into an insult to all Americans is about as 'Snowflake' as you can get.

That's irony on a new scale.

Last edited:
Seriously, did you just throw a snowflake dig around while taking issue that people in London may not want Trump to visit?

Turning an objection about Trump into an insult to all Americans is about as 'Snowflake' as you can get.

That's irony on a new scale.
Yes, yes I did. I see you don't care for my sense of humor.

As for the rest, as an american I really don't give a squat about the mayor of London, I just thought it funny how childish he seems to be.

I'm a naturalized American, however I don't see anything "silly" about Mr Khan's position, nor am I the slightest bit "insulted" by having anyone recognize publicly that our President is behaving consistently in an odious manner.

I am relieved to find myself living in a state where I have to search far and wide to find people who support such behavior.

If Trump comes to Massachusetts on anything like a "state visit", I will first petition to block it and if that fails, I will be peacefully demonstrating at the time.

Yes, yes I did. I see you don't care for my sense of humor.

As for the rest, as an american I really don't give a squat about the mayor of London, I just thought it funny how childish he seems to be.

I see nothing "childish" in Mr Khan's words. On the contrary, I find Trump's words, policies and behavior to be the polar opposite of my values of inclusion, diversity, tolerance and simply mature and decent comportment. Compare Mr Khan's clarity of position and maturity of phrasing with Trump's racially charged speeches, and the thousands of lies and distortions of the truth he is on the record as delivering during less than a year of his presidency.

(Mr Khan's words)
“It appears that President Trump got the message from the many Londoners who admire America and Americans but find his policies and actions the polar opposite of our city’s values of inclusion, diversity, and tolerance,” Khan wrote. “This just reinforces what a mistake it was for [Prime Minister] Theresa May to rush and extend an invitation of a state visit in the first place.”"

"Many Londoners have made it clear that Donald Trump is not welcome here while he is pursuing such a divisive agenda. It seems he’s finally got that message."

I'm a naturalized American, however I don't see anything "silly" about Mr Khan's position, nor am I the slightest bit "insulted" by having anyone recognize publicly that our President is behaving consistently in an odious manner.

I am relieved to find myself living in a state where I have to search far and wide to find people who support such behavior.

If Trump comes to Massachusetts on anything like a "state visit", I will first petition to block it and if that fails, I will be peacefully demonstrating at the time.

I see nothing "childish" in Mr Khan's words. On the contrary, I find Trump's words, policies and behavior to be the polar opposite of my values of inclusion, diversity, tolerance and simply mature and decent comportment. Compare Mr Khan's clarity of position and maturity of phrasing with Trump's racially charged speeches, and the thousands of lies and distortions of the truth he is on the record as delivering during less than a year of his presidency.
I see the mayor's position as," la la la la, I don't like you, I'm not speaking to you, you're not allowed on my front lawn". Rather than inviting someone in for a chat and discussing your issues face to face and actually attempting to make progress, you refuse to engage.

Trump is acting the fool but refusing to engage is an immature reaponse for a democratically elected politician. It sets a terrible precedent IMO.

I see the mayor's position as," la la la la, I don't like you, I'm not speaking to you, you're not allowed on my front lawn". Rather than inviting someone in for a chat and discussing your issues face to face and actually attempting to make progress, you refuse to engage.

Trump is acting the fool but refusing to engage is an immature reaponse for a democratically elected politician. It sets a terrible precedent IMO.
Does that not depend on what the majority of the people you were elected to represent wish? Its not a leap to say that Trump is not likely a popular figure in London.

Nor is it even an accurate representation of his stance:

"If someone has views that I think can be changed I am ready to play my role,"
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/17/politics/sadiq-khan-trump-uk-visit/index.html

It's also far from how you have described it, and actually more of a call for Trump to delete tweets from a far-right extremist group and apologise for making them.

Last edited:

Mayor Khan didn't stick his fingers in his ears when it came to listening to the views of many of the Londoners he was elected to represent. However, he didn't ban Trump from attending. Trump cancelled his visit so if anyone is refusing to engage, it isn't the mayor.

Clowns like Bojo appear to be blaming the messenger for the message that after siding with an organisation one of whose members murdered an MP last year, a state visit would likely be met with mass peaceful protests. No amount of spin from Downing Street or elsewhere is likely to change that.

Same here. While Utah is probably the most conservative state in the union, it's also deeply religious and fairly tolerant of anyone who isn't white. Despite their bizarre ways, Mormons are, at least for the most part, compassionate towards their fellow man. Even the staunchest Republicans I know here despise Trump for his behavior, especially when he uses crass language.

Mayor Khan didn't stick his fingers in his ears when it came to listening to the views of many of the Londoners he was elected to represent. However, he didn't ban Trump from attending. Trump cancelled his visit so if anyone is refusing to engage, it isn't the mayor.

Clowns like Bojo appear to be blaming the messenger for the message that after siding with an organisation one of whose members murdered an MP last year, a state visit would likely be met with mass peaceful protests. No amount of spin from Downing Street or elsewhere is likely to change that.
Maybe Trump is just salty that his bodyguards weren't offered carte blanche to assault protesters like Erdogan's were. After all, this is the guy who talked about the "good old days" when one (well...depending on the circumstances of their birth) could do just that.

Maybe Trump is doing this deliberately - perhaps to provoke and increase division and conflict in the US and worldwide?

Separate question: Is it generally agreed that the general state and condition of humanity world wide, including its health, peace, material well-being and human rights, is currently at a zenith that has never before been equalled or surpassed?

Maybe Trump is doing this deliberately - perhaps to provoke and increase division and conflict in the US and worldwide?
If nothing else, he's polarizing and enflaming people.

Separate question: Is it generally agreed that the general state and condition of humanity world wide, including its health, peace, material well-being and human rights, is currently at a zenith that has never before been equalled or surpassed?
ya but it's oppressive as hell ;)

I had an interesting chat with somebody from Historic England today and he mentioned the American Embassy. It seems that one of the reasons it was off-loaded (as those of other countries are being) is that the US would have had to declare certain security-sensitive work that they wanted to do to the Grade II listed frontage, naturally they had no intention of doing that and so Bush's establishment began arrangements to transfer the embassy. When the leasehold was eventually transferred (under Obama's government) the value was around £400m due to the reluctance of many large companies to take on Grade Listed leaseholds.

I know that's all much less exciting than the events of the rest of the page but I thought it gave some interesting context to the move :)

I think you give him too much credit. I too have considered the possibility that he's secretly a mastermind and that all this is just a perfect act that leads to some greater plan. Probably involving demonstrating that there's something wrong with the government when someone as politically illiterate, personally crass, irrational, inconsistent, and childish can wield the power of the highest office in the land.

I'd like to believe it. But I really don't think it's true. If so, he's been living that way his entire life just for the opportunity to use this one moment to make a point about his country.

Overall, almost certainly. On the other hand, we're one nuclear war away from being back in the Iron Age. Humanity as a whole is doing pretty well for itself, but we're not exactly stable. Maybe we never will be, but we could do with less antagonistic willy wavers bragging about the size of their nuclear buttons.

Back