America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 38,010 comments
You said:

That suggests that Kamala Harris possesses qualities (specifically skin color and a supposed approval of the establishment) to get Democrat support like Clinton. You put them together.
Next time ask for context, but it's clear that wasn't the aim here, you wanted to drive this supposed suggestion you saw all the way home.

Next time ask for context, but it's clear that wasn't the aim here, you wanted to drive this supposed suggestion you saw all the way home.
My first reply addressed what you said directly. If that reply somehow didn't correspond to what you meant, you had ample opportunity to clarify your remarks instead of suggesting that the fault was mine and that I was responding inappropriately.

My first reply addressed what you said directly. If that reply somehow didn't correspond to what you meant, you had ample opportunity to clarify your remarks instead of suggesting that the fault was mine and that I was responding inappropriately.
You didn't ask for context, you said Harris and Clinton don't have the same skin colour that's a statement, what do you want me to say, the obvious?

Context would be: "so they are both suitable due to race or gender" or at least it being a question.

I would then be able to explain without being given a clearly obvious statement.

You didn't ask for context, you said Harris and Clinton don't have the same skin colour that's a statement, what do you want me to say, the obvious?

Context would be: "so they are both suitable due to race or gender" or at least it being a question.

I would then be able to explain without being given a clearly obvious statement.
As I stated, my reply addressed your comments directly. If that reply didn't correspond to what you meant to say, the onus is yours to ensure the respondent knows what you meant, and in doing so you can indicate explicitly (if providing clarification wasn't deemed indicative enough) that their reply didn't correspond to what you meant. You opted to do the latter and not provide clarification, but chose to place the blame on me and suggested that I was behaving inappropriately.

Edit: In the interest of actually furthering discussion, what was the point of indicating that Harris has the appropriate skin color to get the nod that Clinton got previously, particularly when Clinton got it with a different skin color?

With Clinton her Identity message was clear, the "I'm with Her" Campaign, sure I'm probably stepping the mark with Harris but I have seen many commentators on MSNBC and CNN already point to her skin colour as a good reason for her to be in the race(I was having a dig at that with my comment but yes, I didn't leave any context), I know a bit about her but I will look into it more when I have free time.

I know a lot of Bernie voters are blowing him off as too old, and are now going with Kamala Harris. It will be long, rough contest among the Dems, and I doubt the moderates are going to be happy with what the leftwing wants, and vice-versa. Fertile ground for fear and loathing.

I know a lot of Bernie voters are blowing him off as too old, and are now going with Kamala Harris. It will be long, rough contest among the Dems, and I doubt the moderates are going to be happy with what the leftwing wants, and vice-versa. Fertile ground for fear and loathing.
I would suspect they would more Align with Gubbard then Harris.

I would suspect they would more Align with Gubbard then Harris.
Gabbard is much more moderate than the left wants. She has way too many colleagues across the aisle with whom she talks, and that's a problem; consorting with the enemy. Also, she has some shady history to hide: early-on anti-LGBT remarks, and a father with extreme religious views which Tulsi once appeared to support.

Last edited:
Bernie has plenty of Republican friends as well though, pretty stupid thing to get mad about though as it shows they can look past Politics when talking with someone a rare quality in today's world.

As for her LGBTQ Views well there is no hiding on that, but she has a voting record that is supportive now which is consistent with her current views.

Her Views on Politics when it comes to Healthcare, Education and Wars are very much the same as Bernie though.

I don't understand the whole LGBT thing...surely no matter what Dem they throw out there, they'll get a solid 90%+ support from them?
Good question. A Republican negative attack campaign or even Democrat primary campaign maybe could throw Tulsi's politically incorrect early statements in her face, accusing her of flip-flopping and hypocrisy. The Dems will want to nominate the candidate with the fewest weaknesses but also the greatest appeal to Independents, moderates and swing voters. They will also look very hard at playing a populist/leftist card if they think that is what would be needed to win in the fall. Could one candidate satisfy all those requirements?

Gabbard is much more moderate than the left wants. She has way too many colleagues across the aisle with whom she talks, and that's a problem; consorting with the enemy. Also, she has some shady history to hide: early-on anti-LGBT remarks, and a father with extreme religious views which Tulsi once appeared to support.
None of that distracted Bernie or his supporters. If she can reclaim his old following, she'll have a good voter base to start with. She changed her stance towards same-sex marriage back in 2012 & chose Hinduism as a teenager over her family's Catholic background. Beyond the LGBT comments, it's been 7 years AFAIK that she's a turned supporter. She's also an Iraqi war veteran, and was a former Vice Chair of the DNC before leaving to support Bernie.

She could very easily build up a large following of Democrat voters based on her background. Her only issue is that her résumé isn't really noteworthy and she's not very well known. Her latest statement on the shutdown probably won't gain many favors either, but could sway the other side just as much.
Hawaii congresswoman and Democratic candidate for president Tulsi Gabbard said Sunday that her party’s leadership was not blameless for the partial government shutdown that is now approaching a month, accusing both sides of posturing and refusing to compromise.
“The problem here is that this issue, like so many others in Washington, are being relegated to partisan politics,” she said in an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union."
“Where if a Republican is putting forward a proposal, Democrats are going to shoot it down. If Democrats are putting forward a proposal, Republicans are going to shoot it down, really thinking about which party can call a win on this issue.”

The result, she said, is a loss for the country and especially the 800,000 federal workers affected by the shutdown, which has been driven over disagreements about immigration.

As of right now since she's confirmed running, she more than likely has my vote.

Do we need a thread for the Democrat nomination, because it seems like we are getting a big load of candidates already.

Philip DeFranco changed his mind (and apologized) after his initial video. He now has a similar take as Tim Pool.

Regarding that kid facing the guy with the drum, I see the term "smirking" being used. Personally I see a kid who's more confused than anything else. Looking at his mouth he doesn't seem to know whether to smile or be serious. To me it seems he clearly can't handle the situation. And why would he, he's just a kid!

And then there's these kind of tweets...
GPbbIud.jpg

Doesn't he realize that he's putting that kid's life in danger?!

Read into that however you like, but to me it illustrates a substantial right-wing bias...not that I wasn't already familiar with his political leanings.
Interestingly, Tim Pool says he's a "leftie" politically.

Guilt by association eh, he is a Free Lance journalist(not a producer as claimed) he says he tries to talk to anyone who will have him, but it does look like he didn't want his photo in this one.

Who even are these people?
Apart from this clearly Biased article claiming it's alt right with no context I don't exactly see the point being made here.

Last edited:
And then there's these kind of tweets...
GPbbIud.jpg

Doesn't he realize that he's putting that kid's life in danger?!

Interestingly, Tim Pool says he's a "leftie" politically.
Those kind of violent tweets will always exist. It's stuff like these where someone wants to take 1 thing, and use it as an excuse to attack others though, that baffle me. The woman is a Gizmodo editor, but what's amusing is this sense of known-power of the 'smirk' and how she encountered it as far back as elementary school. Kids at that age usually still have their innocence and aren't concerned with such things.
ignorance1.jpg

ignorance2.jpg

Damn smirking white dudes. /joke
smirk.jpg

Guilt by association eh, he is a Free Lance journalist(not a producer as claimed) he says he tries to talk to anyone who will have him, but it does look like he didn't want his photo in this one.
He's been asked if it was for a story numerous times, he refuses to reply (and not story has ever come of it in the 18 months since it was taken) or simply insults those who ask or point it out. Not to mention its far from the only time this has occurred, rather he has a habit of associating with the Alt/Far right.

Who even are these people?
Apart from this clearly Biased article claiming it's alt right with no context I don't exactly see the point being made here.
Well stand out contenders would be Brittany Pettiebone (who posted the image on her twitter feed), James Alsup (nice guy - member of a neo-Nazi group) and Tim Gionet (another charming Neo-Nazi).

Calling the group Alt-right is actually being kind!

He's been asked if it was for a story numerous times, he refuses to reply (and not story has ever come of it in the 18 months since it was taken) or simply insults those who ask or point it out. Not to mention its far from the only time this has occurred, rather he has a habit of associating with the Alt/Far right.

Well stand out contenders would be Brittany Pettiebone (who posted the image on her twitter feed), James Alsup (nice guy - member of a neo-Nazi group) and Tim Gionet (another charming Neo-Nazi).

Calling the group Alt-right is actually being kind!
So does this make him a Neo Nazi then? I mean I haven't exactly seen anything to suggest it.

We have no idea what he was doing there, and without that information it's not exactly credible to just be like: "Well see he is a Nazi he hangs with them!"

Even though his content would conflict with that.

From what I have seen he isn't pro Trump either but he isn't exactly anti Trump so it's unclear what that is but he did say he supported Bernie Sanders and has had multiple videos on why that is, which isn't exactly a right wing position, pretty far from it I would say.

It's obvious his stories are aimed at a right wing audience mostly, there is no denying that but what does that mean?

Is being Right wing a problem?

Given his views are very tame even if I wouldn't say they fully align with what would be left wing, it would strongly conflict with those in the picture, I mean there is a Video where he interviews Britanny Pettiebone and he doesn't exactly look like he agrees with her at all(She is spitting out White nationalist talking points, and he is pointing out the hyprocracy of anti globalists being globalists with their nationalism):

So does this make him a Neo Nazi then? I mean I haven't exactly seen anything to suggest it.
I've not said he was a neo-nazi. Odd that you would suggest that.

We have no idea what he was doing there, and without that information it's not exactly credible to just be like: "Well see he is a Nazi he hangs with them!"

However his refusal to answer that is enough for the question and concerns to be valid. as does the other incidents of this occurring.

I've also asked the question of if this was simply part of his job, why has no story emerged from it? Why directly after the Portland Alt-right march did he have dinner with one side and not use it as a journalistic opportunity and instead hurl abuse about anyone that asks about it?

Even though his content would conflict with that.

Now I've repeated that three times I would hope you take note of your own strawman.

From what I have seen he isn't pro Trump either but he isn't exactly anti Trump so it's unclear what that is but he did say he supported Bernie Sanders and has had multiple videos on why that is, which isn't exactly a right wing position, pretty far from it I would say.
He's said a lot of things that he has then contradicted, either by his words or actions.

It's obvious his stories are aimed at a right wing audience mostly, there is no denying that but what does that mean?
That its unlikely he's left wing.

Is being Right wing a problem?
That depends on how far right you are.

Maybe He wanted to see how these people are without being recorded, I have no idea but making assumptions of a sinister reason(Again you say your not, yet you bring it up there has to be a reason for that) is kind of pointless given his track record, it doesn't make sense, he isn't even overtly political, he is a journalist more then anything and reports on news rather then actually giving his opinion on everything.

I know he has accepted money from Paul Joseph Watson who claimed to fund any journalist who will go to Sweden and report the facts on immigration, which he did and then disputed PJW's claims, saying it's not as clear cut as claimed and generally it's not the refugees but 2nd generation migrants and established Gangs doing the claimed numbers.

Given He has videos of everything he has reported on when he was at Sweden I don't see a political angle from this guy, it's just not there.

Granted he doesn't do much ground work any more as when he films protests he generally gets attacked.

Back