America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 37,980 comments
I guess at least 3 police precincts have been burned and abandoned. Police are not showing up to protect firefighters. I don't know what they are doing, if anything. About 500 National Guard are protecting some fire units, but other fires burn uncontrolled at locations. More Guardsmen are needed as the 4th day of rioting is entered. Let's hope we don't get a repeat of Kent State when the Guard murdered 4 students.

Free speech can and does involve burning things and property destruction. I saw plenty of it during the Vietnam era and at the WTO Battle of Seattle in '99. Perhaps it goes too far today. Free speech wars have been simmering for years, but now with all the emotional and economic stress of pandemic and the inequality it exposed, Trump and the election. I expect free speech wars to intensify dramatically over the course of the summer.

Twitter, Facebook and Youtube are THE platforms. Conservatives don't want a friendly platform, they want an unbiased, fair platform.
Then they can start by expressing unbiased, fair viewpoints; instead of throwing a hissy fit in lockstep with Trump because he was fact checked once after he has used the service to spew garbage for four years, including in Tweets immediately after he was "censored."

They want to interact with all people, left and right. Ain't no sense in preachin' to the choir
Oh, is that why Trump took time from his busy schedule of telling people how great Clorox is, golfing and ignoring rioting in two states to immediately draft an Executive Order the CCP would be proud to dismantle the basic foundations of the internet after an addendum was added to a claim he made on twitter?

Because he doesn't want an echo chamber of sycophants happily following him to the aquarium supply store?

Last edited:
Screenshot_20200529-150203_Twitter.jpg

So I found this image in a reply to one of the tweets embedded in this thread earlier.

EZJbB59WsAcFsk0.jpg

Is this a double standard? The GOP in lockstep with Trump's narrative that mail-in voting is bad and yet the North Dakota Republican Party appears to be promoting it officially. It seems like a double standard.

If not for double standards, Republicans wouldn't have any standards at all.

So I found this image in a reply to one of the tweets embedded in this thread earlier.

EZJbB59WsAcFsk0.jpg

Is this a double standard? The GOP in lockstep with Trump's narrative that mail-in voting is bad and yet the North Dakota Republican Party appears to be promoting it officially. It seems like a double standard.

If not for double standards, Republicans wouldn't have any standards at all.
I'm pretty sure I received that in the last few days in the mail but it got round filed.

I'm not holding my breath for an apoplectic Trump tweet directed at ND's Republican governor or its Republican Secretary of State, or really any major figure in the government of a state that I'm given to understand has voted majority Republican in every presidential election since 1968, and indeed voted for Trump over Hillary 2.3:1.

He, or someone equally insane has used the White House twitter to tweet the same message:

Pathetic

200.gif

And that one got slapped with the same violation warning. So now it's not "just" Trump being "censored".

I'm not holding my breath for an apoplectic Trump tweet directed at ND's Republican governor or its Republican Secretary of State, or really any major figure in the government of a state that I'm given to understand has voted majority Republican in every presidential election since 1968, and indeed voted for Trump over Hillary 2.3:1.
My wife and I did our part to change that but it didn't work.

I'm disappointed that what is being applied to misleading tweets or tweets that otherwise violate Twitter ToS--but for whatever reason aren't removed--doesn't extend to those embedded here.

Is it wrong to think it's easy to stop a protest/riot by simply sending in a military force with non-lethal ammunition? Send them in, shoot everyone, arrest everyone. Call it a day. They wanna think they're above the law?

He, or someone equally insane has used the White House twitter to tweet the same message:

Pathetic

200.gif

Walz (Minnesota's governor) already mobilized the National Guard before he even tweeted, so I'm not sure what Trump is actually threatening to do here. :odd:

Is it wrong to think it's easy to stop a protest/riot by simply sending in a military force with non-lethal ammunition? Send them in, shoot everyone, arrest everyone. Call it a day. They wanna think they're above the law?
The problem with that approach is that I don't think you can necessarily trust non-lethal ammunition to be non-lethal and/or to successfully incapacitate the target.

I see this is as no different then those rebellions when the country was first forming. Washington sent in troops, did what needed to be done, and the rebellion was done. Just do that again, but with M4s instead of muskets and whiskey

Walz (Minnesota's governor) already mobilized the National Guard before he even tweeted, so I'm not sure what Trump is actually threatening to do here. :odd:
It's self-fellating. Not literally, mind.

Divisive rhetoric regarding the events transpiring in Minnesota is tasteless. Divisive and baseless rhetoric regarding absentee voting is tasteless and potentially undermines the system. These behaviors aren't what concern me most.

I don't even particulary care that he cares about nobody but himself. It's sad, but it is what it is. What I find absolutely ****ing abhorrent is that he doesn't care who he hurts as he self-fellates.

"I know you meant to be extraordinarily cruel to me by attacking me, by bringing up a conspiracy theory that has lived in the gutters of the internet for some time now. You don't understand the pain you cause--you cause to families who have already lost a loved one. Not me, not my children, not anybody that knows me, or--they know the truth. But you once again drag a family through this and make them relive it again as if losing a loved one the first time isn't enough." -- Joe Scarborough, Morning Joe

Yeah, Scarborough is critical of Trump. There's plenty that he does for which criticism is warranted. Trump treats this criticism as an attack, and to retaliate, he uses the memory of someone he doesn't know and about whom he couldn't give the furry crack of a rat's ass just so he can self-fellate and pander to his base, with no regard for how it affects those with absolutely no involvement in the criticism that he perceives as an attack. I wager his line of thinking is that anyone who supports him will be supportive of his attacks, and anyone who doesn't support him is deserving of suffering as a result of his attacks. It's profoundly disgusting.

It's the disgusting business tactics of the 80s and 90s applied to the current political system. Instead of just businesses and CEOs it's families and real life stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not from that time (born in '88) but I know that's the world he comes from and if he is the way he is with politics I can only imagine where it came from when he was in business.

It should go without saying that the best way to respond to civil unrest caused by police officers murdering a black guy would be something other than recreating Tienanmen Square, yes. The US military executing people for petty larceny probably wouldn't play well in Peoria.

I'm never going to be able to get that image of Trump out of my mind.
:lol:

Yeah, sorry, but I did indicate it wasn't meant to be taken literally. It's a figurative transitive verb alluding to his propensity to flatter himself.

Any news on what happened to the CNN reporter?

He and his team have been released from police custody. Omar Jimenez said that the officer who arrested him was "just following orders," but was otherwise treated professionally following the arrest.

Ignoring the insanity that was arresting a journalist and the journalism team from a well-know news network live on camera, I can't help but wonder what the actual 🤬 the police commander who gave the arrest order was thinking. I understand that things are insane in Minneapolis right now, but the police are absolutely the last people who should be losing their cool. That police commander who told his guy to "just follow orders" has probably endangered his fellow officers in doing so, and has once again done something completely preventable that will further degrade the relationship the public has with police.

Last edited:
He and his team have been released from police custody. Omar Jimenez said that the officer who arrested him was "just following orders," but was otherwise treated professionally following the arrest.

Ignoring the insanity that was arresting a journalist and the journalism team from a well-know news network live on camera, I can't help but wonder what the actual 🤬 the police commander who gave the arrest order was thinking. I understand that things are insane in Minneapolis right now, but the police are absolutely the last people who should be losing their cool. That police commander who his guy to "just follow orders" has probably endangered his fellow officers in doing so, and has once again done something completely preventable that will further degrade the relationship the public has with police.

Thanks. Good to hear they have been released and are all well.

Back