America - The Official Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 37,990 comments
Meh, it can in context but the implication isn't innate.

Agreed.

The consensus seems to be that McConnell is a ****ing hyprocrite. This notion is well supported if only by the existence of McConnell v. FEC, the culmination of lawsuits filed by McConnell himself in opposition to the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002.

McConnell likes corporations involved in politics when his campaign coffers get filled but he expects them to keep quiet when they oppose his deceitful tactics.

McTurtle: "Big corporations, please stay out of politics, but continue to make huge contributions to me and the Republican party!"

Interestingly, someone has reported this post for this. They apparently want to see if everyone is held to the same standards.

That person had a post removed the other day after creatively typing a politician's name. I didn't sanction them in any other way, I just removed the post with a notification that they really have been around here long enough to know that it wasn't acceptable.

It's certainly the case that it's difficult to have an adult conversation if people apply nicknames to people "on the other side"; aside from being pretty much basic human respect to call someone by their chosen name, it foments the same attitude in return. I've also personally removed and edited posts which did so with Donald Trump's name and have clearly said so in public - which makes this "same standards" jab particularly stupid.

However, their post was removed because they decided to insert a homosexual slur into the politician's name.

I wonder what standard it is they're thinking of...

Interestingly, someone has reported this post for this. They apparently want to see if everyone is held to the same standards.

That person had a post removed the other day after creatively typing a politician's name. I didn't sanction them in any other way, I just removed the post with a notification that they really have been around here long enough to know that it wasn't acceptable.

It's certainly the case that it's difficult to have an adult conversation if people apply nicknames to people "on the other side"; aside from being pretty much basic human respect to call someone by their chosen name, it foments the same attitude in return. I've also personally removed and edited posts which did so with Donald Trump's name and have clearly said so in public - which makes this "same standards" jab particularly stupid.

However, their post was removed because they decided to insert a homosexual slur into the politician's name.

What a bummer.

Roo
Stems from @Chrunch Houston's use of the term "normal people" to describe anyone who isn't a "leftist", if I remember rightly (as it were). @TexRex has run with it as a form of Trump-supporter mockery ever since.

(Tagging the members involved to set me straight if I've got that wrong.)
I'm operating on the assumption that he knows, particularly given that he's posted that he's found the new "normal" humorous. I can't fault you for not observing said posting, however.

What a bummer.
I learned something new today. Assuming it's the same one (I thought it's still up), I saw the post in its original form and I saw it post-moderation. I assumed it was edited because the original was childish, as I've had a post wherein I abbreviated a political party name edited and was given notice.

For what it's worth, I imagine the word was used to imply Obama's presidency was unfortunate, but I completely understand that words mean different things elsewhere.

Edit: Now it's got me thinking of "Blinded By The Light." I don't imagine that's how Bruce meant it.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed John Oliver's last piece on the US National Debt. It has for a while occurred to me that now is a great time for individuals to borrow, with interest rates at historic lows. But Oliver kinda implies a very similar point, which is that now is a great time for the US government to borrow for the exact same reason. If interest rates are low, and inflation is targeted at 2-3%, the interest on the debt is essentially free, not just for individuals, but for the US government. When the price of debt is low, investment, including government investment, is well leveraged.

Last edited:

It must be a new British thing...
Never heard it in my almost 36 years and never heard it in my almost 13 here. Also kinda hard to know when you don't tell me what I actually did
I had to wait for this post...
I've called him that many times. Now it's a problem...
Whatever...
Guess I'll be posting even less here. Can't say anything without offending someone... :rolleyes:

Kinda ironic we bring up a foreign word in the America thread, haven't heard a butt referred to as a bum since Austin Powers...muchless a gay person.

Lol Back to FB. This place has turned into a mini Twitter anyways. If I wanted almost every post to be a Tweet, I'd join Twitter and when did a Tweet become a meme?

I miss the old GTP. Night gents.

Last edited:
Can't say anything without offending someone... :rolleyes:
...is usually said by people trying to offend someone.

You can talk freely and openly without offending anyone. You can hold diametrically opposed political positions and still have a conversation without offending anyone. It’s actually pretty easy to talk to people without offending them, even while disagreeing with them.

:lol:

These are all words. Each of these words has meaning on its own. Some combinations of some of these words may also have meaning. But these words in this particular combination? Nonsense. It's insane. It's Dan Crenshaw.

rawImage.jpg

What is it with Republicans denying others' agency, anyway? The people at these corporations who have made the decision to speak out or take action against this crooked legislation can't possibly have done so of their own volition, rather they're having their strings tugged at by a puppeteer. Who? Biden, obviously.

I miss the old GTP.
The site's rules haven't changed across your entire membership.

That rather suggests that if you felt more comfortable before, it's actually you that has changed into a far less pleasant person.

Guess I'll be posting even less here.
I'm not sure how we'll manage with fewer dogwhistles, nonsense narratives with zero critical evaluation, or throwaway one-liners to rebuttals of said posts which broadly translate to "your evidence is no match for my feelings".

Won't someone please think of the children? Not like that, Matt, not like that.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, all I heard from the Trump side was how Biden was creepy around young girls. I'm curious what they make of the Gaetz thing.

Last edited:
I miss the old GTP. Night gents.
I miss the old reality. I remember 15 years ago when we were just chillin with the homies, skipping class senior year, photoshopping the hell out of GT4 photos, too scared to talk to that girl I liked. I just wanna play snake on my buddy's Nokia, and look over my shoulder before telling a black joke again. Those were the times.

I just miss the old Kanye...

===

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, all I heard from the Trump side was how Biden was creepy around young girls. I'm curious what they make of the Gaetz thing.

They seem to be in two camps, one side is trying to pretend Gaetz doesn't exist and effectively trying to erase him while the other is holding on to the idea that it's just a smear campaign.

...is usually said by people trying to offend someone.

You can talk freely and openly without offending anyone. You can hold diametrically opposed political positions and still have a conversation without offending anyone. It’s actually pretty easy to talk to people without offending them, even while disagreeing with them.
I honestly had no idea it was a homophobic slur. In America, a bum is a guy on the street begging for your change. A bummer is something not going as planned.
I'll keep it in mind in the future...

I honestly had no idea it was a homophobic slur. In America, a bum is a guy on the street begging for your change. A bummer is something not going as planned.
While it's true that Georgia sucks, it's also true that I would never have considered these words to be slurry. In fact I'm being a bum/lazy person as we speak, I've done nothing all day and have no job, which is a total bummer/disappointment.

Last edited:
Oh the tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.

Seems our illustrious Republican Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill has been denying reports that he had an extramarital affair. He's been denying these vicious rumors so hard because he and the other *****, I mean republicans are grooming themselves up to run for the US Senate seat being vacated by Richard Shelby in 2022.

Well the proverbial poo has hit the fan as the legal assistant that he had been denying he had this affair with presented AL.com with a 17 minute recording of the conversation between Merrill and herself that included descriptions of the various sexual acts the pair performed during dozens of intimate encounters.

Now slimeball Merrill has announced that he will not be running for any other political office once his current term ends. And of course as any good southern politician does once they've been caught in a lie, he's saying he will follow the path that the Lord puts in front of him.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...-merrill-extramarital-affair-senate-race.html

Well, adultery isn't a crime in 44 34 states including Alabama, so he will only have to answer to his constituency, a significant number of whom I presume are religious and see themselves and those who represent them as moral individuals. I predict cognitive dissonance.

Last edited:
Same. I've also heard it as a form of asking for something.

"Let me bum a cig?"

Last edited:
Same. I've also heard it as a form of asking for something.

"Let me bum a cig?"
Well I certainly wouldn't bum whatever British people smoke. But I'll bet Dan Crenshaw would take one out back - lord knows what he's hiding from his wife.

Last edited:
"If you change the population, you dilute the political power of the people who live there. So every time they import a new voter, I become disenfranchised as a current voter. So I don't understand why -- everyone wants to make a racial issue out of it. You know the white replacement theory? No, no, this is a voting right question. I have less political power because they are importing a brand new electorate. Why should I sit back and take that? The power that I have as an American guaranteed at birth is one man, one vote. They are diluting it. No, they are not allowed to do it. Why are we putting up with this?"

Tucker Carlson, folks.

"If you change the population, you dilute the political power of the people who live there. So every time they import a new voter, I become disenfranchised as a current voter. So I don't understand why -- everyone wants to make a racial issue out of it. You know the white replacement theory? No, no, this is a voting right question. I have less political power because they are importing a brand new electorate. Why should I sit back and take that? The power that I have as an American guaranteed at birth is one man, one vote. They are diluting it. No, they are not allowed to do it. Why are we putting up with this?"

Tucker Carlson, folks.
Just more of that good ol' rhetoric that captures the attention & support of white supremacists from Tuck.

Tucker Carlson, folks.
Is he saying that he’s being diminished as a voter? Maybe only counting for, say, 3/5ths of other voters?

Tucker Carlson, folks.
Well you didn't actually expect him to make even a tiny amount of sense did you?

On related news (after all they used to be best buddies), PizzaGaetz gets more fun.

Opps, getting caught paying off sex traffickers isn't a good look, particularly when they then send the exact same amount to a teen
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...er-who-later-sent-same-amount-of-cash-to-teen

With a second staffer of his now resigning
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/547271-second-staffer-for-matt-gaetz-resigns

And at long last a GOP lawmaker has called for him to resign, only took them, how many weeks?
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/547287-first-gop-lawmaker-calls-on-gaetz-to-resign

one man, one vote.
Well damn I didn't realize that when Tucker imported his own child from his wife's body that Tucker's vote didn't mean as much anymore. I guess that's another reason I'm not having kids.

Well damn I didn't realize that when Tucker imported his own child from his wife's body that Tucker's vote didn't mean as much anymore. I guess that's another reason I'm not having kids.
I was about to say this too. It sounds like Tucker is mad younger people (not just immigrants) are getting older.

Back