Thursday Night Practice (Formerly Driving School)

• Thread starter Neutty
  • 465 comments
Thank you to everyone for coming out tonight and guys for pitching in I think it was a pretty good night overall.
It was a great night! I was just getting into the swing of things. @Jw_wk1010 thanks so much for the one on one chat. I hope my disappearance after Blue Moon Bay wasn't too big a problem. Right after BMB I had a 1 hour power outage due to a winter storm in Vancouver and by the time I got back most people were gone. I was really looking forward to some experience on a speedway in traffic. I will do this again in a heartbeat. Will anybody be around tonight? I'm so new I don't know who else is new, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Just something I would like to address. We are aware that some drivers got more one on one time than others. We are currently working on a plan to make driving school better to make sure this doesn't happen.

i was just glad to get some time in with you guys in a non pressure situation and pick up some pointers. I tried to just listen to advice being given to myself or others and absorb as much as i could. My biggest issue (my own fault) is i just don’t know the tracks yet. I’m relatively confident running laps at Laguna because I’ve always loved that track since PC1. As soon as we switched tracks to something I’ve never driven i was lost. I appreciate all the feedback and the time you guys took to work with us noobs

i was just glad to get some time in with you guys in a non pressure situation and pick up some pointers. I tried to just listen to advice being given to myself or others and absorb as much as i could. My biggest issue (my own fault) is i just don’t know the tracks yet. I’m relatively confident running laps at Laguna because I’ve always loved that track since PC1. As soon as we switched tracks to something I’ve never driven i was lost. I appreciate all the feedback and the time you guys took to work with us noobs
Circuit experience is key. Doing the in game missions and such help soooo much

I would just like to echo @Helmethead in saying how much I've gained in the few pratices I've attended. Learned something important every time. Also @PApunk924 and @Neutty gave great advice about learning circuits, using Circuit Experiences to learn tracks and even the driving school in GTS has drills that are helpful, ie the section on braking. See @SAMHAIN85 post #110 which links to a very good video on braking by Tidgney Racing, who also has more instructional videos I plan to watch and practice.

Great job tonight!

I have some notes I'd like to share that should help you improve even more.

First off, you have great fundamentals which mean you will start being very competitive very quickly.

The main thing i saw from you that you need to work on is learning the course. The good news is you can do that right from gtsport by yourself.

Under the campaign mode will be a tab labeled circuit experience. From there you can pick which track you want to learn and watch instructional videos on each sector. Then it will allow to practice each sector individually.

Try doing it with interlagos. I bet you will see a drastic improvement in your lap times.

Hope to see you on the track soon![/QUOTE]

@Camaro DR

Great job tonight!

First off, you have great fundamentals which mean you will start being very competitive very quickly.

The main thing i saw from you that you need to work on is learning the course. The good news is you can do that right from gtsport by yourself.

Under the campaign mode will be a tab labeled circuit experience. From there you can pick which track you want to learn and watch instructional videos on each sector. Then it will allow to practice each sector individually.

Try doing it with interlagos. I bet you will see a drastic improvement in your lap times.

Hope to see you on the track soon!
Great job tonight!

Hope to see you on the track soon!
[/QUOTE]

Hey man sorry for the late reply, I thanks you for instructing me through out the race. I was nice to meet all of you I had a fun time. At some point I will learn your names as well. lol
Yes I agree that I need to learn the course that will help me in my times as well.
I will be buying a Corvette lol
See you all next week on Thursday nights right?

Thanks

Camaro DR
I well see you next week as well Thursday nights right?

thank you all for supporting this great idea the turn out was fantastic and I truly hope everyone enjoyed it. Starting next week this will be going on a weekly basis.

I will be taking the lead on this so bare with me but we will go every Thursday lobby opens at roughly 9pm est. I will be getting together as many instructors as I can.

With this being said I would like to hear from our students as to what you would like to get out of this. Things such as overall pace track knowledge ect.

I agree with the above about passing and such. Or just in general driving in traffic. I am normally so far behind everyone that it isn’t an issue, but get all nervous when being lapped and usually struggle holding my line because of it. That may just come with time though.
Track knowledge and brake points are also something I need to work on. I rely wayyy too much on the brake indicator.

I agree with the above about passing and such. Or just in general driving in traffic. I am normally so far behind everyone that it isn’t an issue, but get all nervous when being lapped and usually struggle holding my line because of it. That may just come with time though.
Track knowledge and brake points are also something I need to work on. I rely wayyy too much on the brake indicator.
In a perfect world a slower driver ignores the driver behind, and they will make their way around you (especially in reverse grid starts). If being lapped I try and stay off the racing line, but some times the buggers come up on me really fast and I don't see them. Any driving instructor I've ever had constantly kept saying; "Look farther down the track".

Last edited:
ARL Gr 4 Driving School Thoughts

I apologize for the length of the following. You can take the teacher out of the school, but you can’t take the bulls**t out of the teacher.
Seniority list:
  • I’m so new I don’t know who else is new, kinda new, old hand (this can mean joined ARL yesterday, but has raced GT for years).
  • This would be handy for me, to connect with others at my level, for me to know who will be blowing by me shortly, and for others, to know to be patient behind me, as I provide ample opportunities to pass.
Gr 4 Started as a Beginner League
  • I wish I had been there for that. I like passing others. I’m less happy when people pass me, especially if they think I’m holding up the queue and need to get me out of the way.
  • I can also understand others enjoyment of passing, that’s what this is all about. However, if you are racing below your weight you should realize this isn’t AAA ball and you need to act accordingly around the beginners in the field, especially during reverse grid starts. Maybe moving up many positions should be the goal, not the outright win.
  • When I raced Hobie Cats, once you won a regatta at one level you were required to move up a level permanently, to let the lesser sailors bask in the glory of a podium finish.
  • Should we have divisions in Gr 4 ala SNAIL?
  • Having said that, I’m having fun, having some good battles (briefly), and working on improving. And every now and then I can almost keep up with some of the faster drivers (briefly).
Driving School Night:
  • Some of us (me for sure) need help just to navigate between at the track and chats (Parties?), chatting and driving, moving from one chat party to another, if even possible.
  • Can instructors rotate among students on chat? I certainly benefitted on Wednesday, briefly, as I experienced a blackout, power that is. How hard would it be to swap private chats
  • Students spectate while instructor does a hot lap while commentating on brake application, brake RELEASE (trail braking), corner speeds.
  • At driving schools you have an instructor in the passenger seat, who coaches on lines, brake points, turn in points, when to glide, exit points and acceleration. When I had JW with me on Wednesday at Blue Moon Bay I learned two BIG things: turn 1, no brakes only back off. Turn ? (the last one), enter wide to square it off.
  • Any real race I’ve been at, walking the track was always one of the first things done, where the above points were discussed among the drivers.
  • Can students drive with some aids during practice? Cones? But get rid of them for a race. That was the biggest thing for me on my very first Merry Miata Night, I had never driven a track without cones. Needless to say my braking points were waaaay off.

Thank you. That is all.

ARL Gr 4 Driving School Thoughts

I apologize for the length of the following. You can take the teacher out of the school, but you can’t take the bulls**t out of the teacher.
Seniority list:
  • I’m so new I don’t know who else is new, kinda new, old hand (this can mean joined ARL yesterday, but has raced GT for years).
  • This would be handy for me, to connect with others at my level, for me to know who will be blowing by me shortly, and for others, to know to be patient behind me, as I provide ample opportunities to pass.
Gr 4 Started as a Beginner League
  • I wish I had been there for that. I like passing others. I’m less happy when people pass me, especially if they think I’m holding up the queue and need to get me out of the way.
  • I can also understand others enjoyment of passing, that’s what this is all about. However, if you are racing below your weight you should realize this isn’t AAA ball and you need to act accordingly around the beginners in the field, especially during reverse grid starts. Maybe moving up many positions should be the goal, not the outright win.
  • When I raced Hobie Cats, once you won a regatta at one level you were required to move up a level permanently, to let the lesser sailors bask in the glory of a podium finish.
  • Should we have divisions in Gr 4 ala SNAIL?
  • Having said that, I’m having fun, having some good battles (briefly), and working on improving. And every now and then I can almost keep up with some of the faster drivers (briefly).
Driving School Night:
  • Some of us (me for sure) need help just to navigate between at the track and chats (Parties?), chatting and driving, moving from one chat party to another, if even possible.
  • Can instructors rotate among students on chat? I certainly benefitted on Wednesday, briefly, as I experienced a blackout, power that is. How hard would it be to swap private chats
  • Students spectate while instructor does a hot lap while commentating on brake application, brake RELEASE (trail braking), corner speeds.
  • At driving schools you have an instructor in the passenger seat, who coaches on lines, brake points, turn in points, when to glide, exit points and acceleration. When I had JW with me on Wednesday at Blue Moon Bay I learned two BIG things: turn 1, no brakes only back off. Turn ? (the last one), enter wide to square it off.
  • Any real race I’ve been at, walking the track was always one of the first things done, where the above points were discussed among the drivers.
  • Can students drive with some aids during practice? Cones? But get rid of them for a race. That was the biggest thing for me on my very first Merry Miata Night, I had never driven a track without cones. Needless to say my braking points were waaaay off.

Thank you. That is all.

Thank you so much this is fantastic. I can get with our resident data guy who can probably whip up some magic as far as who has been in ARL the longest. Before that it would be kindof difficult. I will definitely sit down with the others and discuss the ideas you have brought up as well as @IDreamInGT3 and @Mrs Neutty.

As one of the newest guys on here and probably least experienced driver, i think each student might be looking for different things and that may require multiple lobbies. For me, i got a lot out of just running laps with other experienced drivers to just get comfortable. A lot of my nervousness comes from not really knowing everyone and trying hard to not screw up someone’s lap and have them think I’m an idiot and not want me on the track. I’m NEVER going to be the fastest guy. What’s most important to me is having a group i enjoy racing with and having fun. But i also realize my lack of skill can take the fun away from the more experienced drivers on the track. Depending on the turnout, maybe have a lobby for one on one coaching for specific skills i.e track knowledge, braking points, General car setups, and other general tips. The other lobby reserved for casual group session where the experienced drivers offer advice when they see fit (or when it’s requested) but allow the learning to happen organically. Maybe call it the “tutor lobby” and the “study hall” lobby.

As one of the newest guys on here and probably least experienced driver, i think each student might be looking for different things and that may require multiple lobbies. For me, i got a lot out of just running laps with other experienced drivers to just get comfortable. A lot of my nervousness comes from not really knowing everyone and trying hard to not screw up someone’s lap and have them think I’m an idiot and not want me on the track. I’m NEVER going to be the fastest guy. What’s most important to me is having a group i enjoy racing with and having fun. But i also realize my lack of skill can take the fun away from the more experienced drivers on the track. Depending on the turnout, maybe have a lobby for one on one coaching for specific skills i.e track knowledge, braking points, General car setups, and other general tips. The other lobby reserved for casual group session where the experienced drivers offer advice when they see fit (or when it’s requested) but allow the learning to happen organically. Maybe call it the “tutor lobby” and the “study hall” lobby.

Thank you for the input. This is something we are working on for the next driving school.

We are all focused on making it a more individually focused experience.

Thank you for the input. This is something we are working on for the next driving school.

We are all focused on making it a more individually focused experience.

I can always do a dirt lobby for GT if someone wants some pointers on that, just throwin it out there

Last edited:
i bought Dirt 2.0 the other day and I’m awful. FFB just feels “off”. Any recommended settings? I use T150

Time, it feels better once you get use to it

Adjust Steering linearity a lil, it will decrease the amount of steering input needed to turn

Last edited:
So as some of you know that all I had to race as a Gr4 was Puegot which is FWD.
I hate FWD cars so I bought a Gr4 Vette I will ready to go on Thursday.
Can't wait.

Don't forget, Wednesday night is the first Gr4 race of season 7.

Head on over to the Gr4 thread to sign up!

Back