Analog controler?

• Thread starter milefile
  • 19 comments
I could've sworn somebody told me that you could configure your controler so that the accelerator is the right joystick. The benefit, they said, was that you have control over how much gas you're giving the car, as opposed to all or nothing. Is this BS? Or can it be done? :confused: :confused:

I've looked in options and there's nothing there about it as far as I can tell so ... that's what I thought. That guy (from the GT forum on "GameWinners.com") musta been high or somthing.

But what about those steering wheel set-ups? Ever use one of those?

Um, yeah... that's how I race so it must be possible right?

Options > Select the 5th icon from the left and press X > scroll down to the second option which is Acceleration and the right analog stick "up" is the 11th option > scroll down to the third option which is Brakes and the analog stick "down" is the 10th option.

Once you make these alterations you simply press the Triangle button twice to exit the options menu. It is also possible to make these changes on Gran Turismo as well as Gran Turismo 2 in their respective options menus, though the exact steps will of course be different.

Now, there are advantages and disadvantages to using the right stick for gas and brakes. For Gran Turismo 2 you get a gradual gas and brake control with the stick that isn't available to you using the buttons (though I haven't tried it with a DS2) but with GT3 you have progressive control of the gas and brakes by simply changing the amount of pressure you apply to the buttons, because as we all know, on a DS2 the buttons are pressure sensitive allowing for analog control. Naturally then, there is no advantage over using the buttons that the right stick can give you (unless the stick gives you more gradual control or something) that I can think of.

The big downfall of using the right stick for gas and brakes is that it's not possible to keep on the gas and apply the brakes at the same time, a technique used to keep RPMs up while going around shallow curves that require you to slow down a little bit. Keeping the revs up naturally would help you stay within the power band the car most effectively operates in, giving you quicker acceleration out and through the next section of the track.

So, I use the right stick because I was trained to use it and the buttons feel awkward to me anymore, but I must at the same time fully acknowledge that this gives my competitors who use buttons an edge.

I wrote the above post assuming I was in the GT3 forum so don't stone me... like I said, it can be done in GT and GT2, but the process I described above is in the GT3 options menu. Sorry.

nah dudes, i dun think its possible... i was wondering what the actually purpose of the right side joystick is, and quite frankly, i thnk its just there for symetry

Aw c'mon, there should have been about 100 posts in here already saying that you can use the right stick for gas/brake on GT2. I know a buncha folks that do it that way.

Originally posted by Dolbytone
Aw c'mon, there should have been about 100 posts in here already saying that you can use the right stick for gas/brake on GT2. I know a buncha folks that do it that way.

OK. Can you maybe ask one of them and let us know? I really wanna give it a try.

I've used the right analog stick for gas and brakes ever since I purchased my first Dual Shock for GT1. Just go into the options menu, go to controls, and toggle through the accelerator/brake options until a picture of a Dual Shock stick with arrows appears. Then choose which direction you want to use for each action. Simple enough. :)

Seems like once you get used to doing it one way, even if it's not the "best" way, it's hard to change. Almost like learning the game all over again.

It's especially pronounced with other games. I play Colony Wars (or used to) and it was so hard to get the controller down because it wasn't like GT.

I've never owned an Anolog controller. I still use the digitals. The DS feel too heavy to me. Maybe cause i've used analogs for 5 years. I might need to get a new controller thoug, one of mine keeps screwing up and says it's not connected.

Back