Angle=speed? :-\

• Thread starter Picc84
  • 44 comments
AmuseR1
I'm trying to drift a sequence of turns, and I do them fine. But Now i want angle.
And if i try and less countersteer, I just slide down the thingey. So i'm guesseing the more speed the more angle? Am I correct?

Also: When drifting, do you use the "Shift-aid" thing? I Do, and mostly it matches perfectly for some reason.

I use the Feint Technique, and when i got faster, i can get it into a drift to get the angle. Therefore sliding out. I'm running an Amuse R1 (stock, i think...) (i know theres not extra parts, but not sure about settings)

I don't use the shift aid to tell me when to shift, I usually use it to one I should start braking.

If you want more angle then work on your throttle and steering and it sound like you're understeering if thats so use your side brake more while you're drifting try using the side brake with the gas without and try it with the brake at the same time. I don't use shift aid due to my driving style and how i shift so really i never really pay attention to it i just go by when i feel like braking sometimes it tell you to brake a lil to early.

i sorta use the shift aids
its kinda like; theres a sweet spot fer each car and that when the motor is like REAM!!! and totally kicks in. wen i find it i just keep it there

It depends on the sequence of corners. Since you're driving a FR, your angle will always be limited by distance. Basically what I'm saying is the longer you want to drift the less angle you can have.

What section are we talking about here?

Normally if I want more angle, I just give myself a more aggressive feint. Just as what swift had mentioned, its very true that you wouldn't be able to get angles that you would fancy on longer corners.

Speed does not means angles. But if you would to create more weight transfer with braking on high speed, that would create of course more angle. The logic on how to drift is very simple for FR car i guess (As I only drift FR cars now, I can't do with the others yet). Just try and figure out how it works! By the time, you will already know how much angle you can get on each corners you attack! Yeah...thats it.

aphillsection1pl6.png

I'm working that section. From top to bottom (normal)
(thanks clangeie, i'll try what you said)
I'll post a video today of my drifting of this section. I really love it, but i want to get good at it.

Red_Line
too much angle w/o enough speed and the drift will die.
By this you mean the car will spin out rather than snapback, Correct?

Yeah FRs are most straightforward in drifting, the rear wheels keep the car moving and at an angle, the front keeps the car moving in the wanted direction. There has to be balance between both of 'em.

If Throttle > Counter-Steering Then
Understeer
If Counter-Steering > Throttle Then
Oversteer, (thats why a lot of people choose low powered cars)

i absoloutely love drifting that part, unfortunately, im no good with FRs, im AWD only nowadays. No angle doesn't = speed. greater angle most often drops your speed a lot. that's why speed drifting has such low angle, to gain quicker speeds and have an overall fast paced lap.

Well How do you belive I should go for a greater angle. The question here isent if i need more speed. its how do i achieve a greater angle.

Well How do you belive I should go for a greater angle. The question here isent if i need more speed. its how do i achieve a greater angle.

Enter corners at a higher speed then usual.Then use the angle of your car to slow you down and complete the drift.

Enter corners at a higher speed then usual.Then use the angle of your car to slow you down and complete the drift.

The higher the angle, the more the car will slow down from the entry speed. The logic tot he above mentioned is that at higher speed, you can maintain the high angle you want, without letting the drift die off early. However, good drifters can still get great angles with low entry speed. It needs very precise inputs as you will notice sonner or later that when your back start sliding out, throttle input will also push your angle wider. However, as mentioned earlier, precise input and quick countersteer would be needed to maintain your drift. Its not easy, and its definitely not a one day or one week job. You seriously should not think bout such a technique so soon. It will fustrate you...

FR cars really are very logical in how it works. Think through!! Ask yourself a few question and do a few tests on different entries on a same corner. You will definitely get different results.

Well ya, you need more speed to carry more angle, to much angle w/o enough speed and the drift will die

By this you mean the car will spin out rather than snapback, Correct?

no, not correct. saying ..."and the drift will die." doesnt always mean spinning out. if an experienced drifters drift dies, then it could mean a few things. it could just mean that the car is no longer oversteering, and has returned to gripping, but it could also mean they spin out one way or another, understeer, etc.

The higher the angle, the more the car will slow down from the entry speed. The logic tot he above mentioned is that at higher speed, you can maintain the high angle you want, without letting the drift die off early. However, good drifters can still get great angles with low entry speed. It needs very precise inputs as you will notice sonner or later that when your back start sliding out, throttle input will also push your angle wider. However, as mentioned earlier, precise input and quick countersteer would be needed to maintain your drift. Its not easy, and its definitely not a one day or one week job. You seriously should not think bout such a technique so soon. It will fustrate you...

FR cars really are very logical in how it works. Think through!! Ask yourself a few question and do a few tests on different entries on a same corner. You will definitely get different results.

Wow, thanks! I'll go for that one! lol Thanks guys, video of before and after soon...

no, not correct. saying ..."and the drift will die." doesnt always mean spinning out. if an experienced drifters drift dies, then it could mean a few things. it could just mean that the car is no longer oversteering, and has returned to gripping, but it could also mean they spin out one way or another, understeer, etc.

Yea when i read that the first time, that's what i thought he meant the first time.

I always though like this
Less Angle = more speed
More angle = Less Speed
Then my thinking starting going like this
Less gas= More Countersteer
More gas = Less countersteer

- High speed entry... you can use momentum and braking to get great angles if the corner permits, but you need good throttle and steering control to "pick up" the drift and exit without grinding to a halt.
- Precise throttle feathering... if you learn to balance your footwork better, you can get more angle along tight lines. You also need to be delicate with the countersteer to keep the car pointing the right way.
High angle drifts are more of a balancing act than pushing the car along.

nk4e
I always though like this
Less Angle = more speed
More angle = Less Speed
Then my thinking starting going like this
Less gas= More Countersteer
More gas = Less countersteer
Not always true in my opinion... it's more about constantly monitoring what the car seems to want to do, and adjusting accordingly. You really need to be one step ahead of the car, so to speak... and for that you need practice. With low angles you can basically push it as hard as you like, but you also need to floor it sometimes at high angles... just not as carelessly.

Basically, the higher the angle, the more delicate you have with your inputs. Not necessarily less of everything, but more "just right" :dopey:

Ske
- High speed entry... you can use momentum and braking to get great angles if the corner permits, but you need good throttle and steering control to "pick up" the drift and exit without grinding to a halt.
- Precise throttle feathering... if you learn to balance your footwork better, you can get more angle along tight lines. You also need to be delicate with the countersteer to keep the car pointing the right way.
High angle drifts are more of a balancing act than pushing the car along.

Exactly what i meant with real precise input so that you can gain almost full control of your car. Its not so easy. Ske is a good drifter, take a look at one of his video below. I'm not sure whether the car is a FR, but it shows clearly an example of how precise your inputs need to be to get such smooth drifts. And you might need to run a race course more than 100 times at least to get used to it, and be familiar with all entry points you want to tackle. I guess you probably had also started doing this.

Most important, don't give up! Just practise, as it only gets better...

Enjoy Ske's video..

^Wow that's an awesome video. In fact that's the track I'm trying to learn to drift on. I do have one question though. I noticed that he presses the gas and the brake together a lot (Heel Toe?), what does that actually do to your car? Is it accelerating or decelerating? What are the benefits of pressing both pedals and not just one?

Well, thats probably my problem there, I don't spend too much time on GT4 than my rep( or if I have any) is known around here.

^Wow that's an awesome video.

I noticed that he presses the gas and the brake together a lot (Heel Toe?), what does that actually do to your car? Is it accelerating or decelerating? What are the benefits of pressing both pedals and not just one?
It's just left foot braking.. by feathering the brakes while still on the gas I can fine tune angle and speed without shifting a lot of weight around. It really helps smooth things out and keep the car on line. Essential technique for fast, tight drifting in my opinion...

Heel/toe is another thing altogether.. in a car with a clutch pedal you want to "blip" the gas with your heel to match the revs while downshifting and braking. This is to avoid upsetting the driveline and "shift locking", and since we don't have a clutch in GT4 it's completely pointless here. GT4 automatically rev matches for you when downshifting, which unfortunately makes it impossible to use shift locking (or clutch kick) to our advantage.

Ok, i gotta switch out of my Amuse R1 because its becoming a nusence. Anyone got advice for a medium to beginner skill?

Soemthing with a lower torque and a lower max RPM?

Try a Supra, I drove it once only (even though im not an FR drifter), i found its stable and calm rather than redlining and slip and sliding. Also its weak in power meaning it can only rev up to 6000RPM.

I recently tried an MR. I really like the Lotus's. They are quite stable, fast, yet controled. I may try and stick with that, although I really enjoy FR's

I'll try a Supra, Last time i had a rough time, I'll go at it again.

I recently tried an MR. I really like the Lotus's. They are quite stable, fast, yet controled. I may try and stick with that, although I really enjoy FR's

I'll try a Supra, Last time i had a rough time, I'll go at it again.

Lotus, Espirit or the Elise/ Exige? the elise/ exiges aren't that fast.

If you ARE interested in experimenting with Elises/ Exiges, do try out Opel's Speedster, and ASL's Garaiya, i love drifting that little thing and Toyota's MR-2's. I really like drifting the Arta MR-2, i dont know why i can seem to get very smooth turns with it. i'll post my settings for it, but it has like 5 understeer on it.

Edit: I havent played GT for like 2 months, but i sorta remember the settings, i use a fixed universal setting for such cars like MR-2: do altar some of it if you want i havent driven the MR2 Arta for like 4 months

Springs: 7.5/7.5
Ride: min./min
Bound: 5/5
Rebound: 7/7
Camber: 3.5/1.5 < dont remember exactly. Think i used 3.0/1.0 Try both anyway)
Toe: -1/-1 < im pretty sure that was it
Stabilzer: 2/2
Brakes: 10/15< that what i used 4 months ago, try something like 6/11, whatever makes you happy.
Tires: N3/N3
ASM: 0/5
TCS: 0
LSD: 10/30/5 < pretty sure that's it..
Weight: 0
Trans: with full customize, drop auto set by 1 (not TO 1, drop it BY 1).
Downforce: Max/ 8 units above what front downforce is. (eg. front dnforce is at 30, rear will be 38, get it?)

also isntall a turbo. I, when i was a noobie, installed the stage 4. i think there was something smaller, 3 or 2. Try thos before trying 4.

The Supra RZ is best with stock suspension and LSD.. just give it a custom gearbox and it should be good. If you try to modify the suspension and LSD you're 99% likely to end up with a worse car, trust me on this. The Supra is definitely not weak though.. it has tons of torque just where you want it. Try it stock with N2s on and the only thing you'll want to do is change the gear ratios.

RX7s from about 90-97 are also great beginner's cars, very good with minimal tuning.. they could use a hike to about 340-350 HP though.

Another one of my favorite "easy" cars is the Lotus Carlton (early 90's used section).. perhaps the easiest car to drift stock in the game. Don't add too much power to it, and don't put a very tight diff on it (stock is fine for up to 400ish HP)

Ske
The Supra is definitely not weak though.. it has tons of torque just where you want it. Try it stock with N2s on and the only thing you'll want to do is change the gear ratios.

by changing you mean making the gear ratio tighter? to allow faster pick up..:):)

Wow you're posting quite frequently... I personally dont like the rx-7s FC OR FD. i like to whip it out at times jsut to try it again and see what was so bad about it, i jsut dont like it, i cant keep up with the countersteering precisely and the throttle control, drift entry, that's why i use Automatic jsut to get gear shifting off my back. Im too slow at this stuff.

Edit: Holy Moly! Ske, that vid, man, the enitire run was SMOOTH. Such precise braking and accel. well thats because you are using DFP..

Yea, i'm useing a wheel too, but its a ****ty 40$ one ;)

And Trico, i'll try out your suggestions soon. And yes i'm posting allot, i'm a lozer, nothing else. lol

Back