Anniversary Of 9/11

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 346 comments
United States
Allen, Texas
crispychicken49
crispychicken49
About a week and two days before the 10th Anniversary of that terrible day in 2001. I remember watching the broadcast on the news just before going to pre-school. Those images will stay in my mind for ever.

I was getting ready to head off to school, but was watching TV and eating breakfast before I headed out. I came across a new station and saw one of the buildings on fire. All I thought was "oh look, a fire. They'll get it out" and didn't think about it again until I got to school and learned the horrible truth. The towers had fallen by the time I got there. That's basically all we did in school that day was watch the news.

Crazy its been 10 yrs already. I remember exactly where i was watching the newscast about the first plane and seeing the second one hit.

Edit:
I feel like an ass for even saying this........
When i heard about the first plane i thought it was kind of funny. I thought it was some Johnny yahoo wannabeapilot learning to fly a small plane. If i recall correctly, a NY Yankee player did just that shortly before the attacks. Again i feel an ass even saying that. And in no way do i find the terrible events of that day even remotely anything abovr horrendous.
End edit :

I left out of Logan Airport for my honeymoon on the first day the airports reopened after the attacks. We made friends with two other couples while in Antigua. One from NYC and the other from DC. Strange as we are from Boston.

My thoughts go out to any who lost friends and family on that tragic day.

Last edited:
Cowboys965
R.I.P. All that died, and I don't really remember it that much

This
it's really sad though , for some reason I always watch sll the history specials and It's just terrible :( :( :(

rocko100
This
it's really sad though , for some reason I always watch sll the history specials and It's just terrible :( :( :(

Same here I always seem to watch all the documentaries which makes me sad. RIP to all those who lost their lives. You won't be missed.

I remember coming home from my first day of kindergarten to see my Mom crying.
I asked her why and she refused to tell me, not wanting me to be scared.
I also watch the History Channel specials, but my parents do like me watching those while my younger brothers are in the house.

R.I.P.

My cousins who are 7 and 10 have overprotective parents and they don't know what 9/11 is or anything along those lines.
The worst part (excluding deaths) is that this is what killed the economy.
And to all members affected by 9/11 I am sorry for your loss :)

rocko100
My cousins who are 7 and 10 have overprotective parents and they don't know what 9/11 is or anything along those lines.
The worst part (excluding deaths) is that this is what killed the economy.
And to all members affected by 9/11 I am sorry for your loss :)

I have touched upon the subject with my 8 year old daughter but not gone to deeply into the subject with her. I have a few fantastic books about it that i may sit with her with on the anniversary. Still torn on it tho.

Children need to hang on to the innocence and magic of childhood as long as possible. But they also need to understand the evils of human nature.......

I have never understood the "don't talk about it and it will never have happened" line of thought. A higher level of ignorance and stupidity is hard to imagine.

But that's off-topic.

I recall very clearly arriving at work and finding nearly everyone jammed into the break room, where the only TV in the office was located. It was before the second impact, and the cause of the first impact was still unclear, still thought to be just a horrible accident. Then the second plane hit, with every TV camera in the Universe trained on the fire from the first hit, and instantly it was clear that the event was designed. The change of perception from "How could this happen?" to "Someone did this??!?!" was strong enough to taste.

And to "parents" who expect to "protect" their children by hiding the events of the day from them, just give your kids up right now. Give them to someone who can raise them with honesty and integrity, and teach them their heritage and what it means to be strong enough as a people to be hated for what your way of life represents to those who are not allowed to enjoy such life.

Last edited:
I think that on 9/11 they will air the original broadcast from that day. I just remember about 3 or so years afterwards they interviewed the Man Who Walked Between The Towers (I forgot his name) and it was just terrible seeing what it did to him.

I hate it whenever it gets to this time of the year, I always have particularly terrible dreams around this time. I had one horrific one a couple of weeks ago, and it didn't help that after I woke up they aired a news broadcast that said a specific terrorist group was going to get revenge for Osama's death on the anniversary. :scared:

EDIT: This is the first time I've realized that gogatrs is just one year older than me. :lol:

Last edited:
Oh great, the moment comes again, when I'm skeptical whether to feel happy or sad, since apparently it is the same day as my birthday.

Anyway, my sympathy goes to anyone who are affected by 9/11.

Caz
I feel like an ass for even saying this........
When i heard about the first plane i thought it was kind of funny. I thought it was some Johnny yahoo wannabeapilot learning to fly a small plane. If i recall correctly, a NY Yankee player did just that shortly before the attacks. Again i feel an ass even saying that. And in no way do i find the terrible events of that day even remotely anything abovr horrendous.

I was watching the George W. Bush 9/11 interview on History channel on Sunday, and he said he thought the exact same thing. When they said "a plane has hit the world trade centre", he was thinking "small plane and bad weather".

I still remember I was in 8th grade art class and the teacher interrupted us and said that she had just got an email from her son who was in NYC saying that a plane flew into the twin towers(I had no clue what they were than) and that he was OK. I heard other students talking about it but none of my teachers had the TV on and wouldn't tell us what was going on(guessing a combination of themselves not really knowing and not knowing how to explain it to young kids). I than went home where my mom had the TV on, I watched a few seconds before hugging her and crying.

Some of the other things I remember afterwards was one of my teachers posting the front page every day after we invaded Afghanistan(wound up with around 30 or something on his wall). One of the other students visiting the Twin Towers a few months before 9/11. As well as helping the school pick out new text books later in the year, which would be the first ones mentioning 9/11.

Noob616
I was watching the George W. Bush 9/11 interview on History channel on Sunday, and he said he thought the exact same thing. When they said "a plane has hit the world trade centre", he was thinking "small plane and bad weather".

First time i ever agreed with that guy ;) maybe i should retract my statement :)

I think i remember the news saying they thought the first plane crashed was an accident.

But after 10 years the coward behind the attck is dead.

I was 6 years old at the time, and I don't remember what I was doing at the time. I just remember students and teachers at my elementary school talking about "the twin towers", and I didn't learn that they were the "world trade centre" for quite some time. Every time the anniversary comes around, I really just feel sick and angry about what happened. The worst part is when the conspiracy nutjobs get going. I don't get angry often, but 9/11 conspiracies just set me off.

I don't remember 9/11 itself, but I remember how it changed the world I grew up in. It really was a world changing event, and it's just such a horrific thing.

I think that on 9/11 they will air the original broadcast from that day. I just remember about 3 or so years afterwards they interviewed the Man Who Walked Between The Towers (I forgot his name) and it was just terrible seeing what it did to him.
They may show clips, but they will not show the original broadcast. Even though it's been 10 years, that's a bit much to show the entire ordeal.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing the memorial's grand opening, as they've been keeping a lot of the details under wrap. And even though the museum won't open for another year afterwards, it will probably be my first stop when we head to New York next year.

I was 8 at the time. I'd just come home from school with a friend and I was blissfully unaware of what was going on or how upset my mum was. Only remeber seeing the rubble piles, and I haven't even heard of the twin towers. But I watched a documentary about them and became utter fascinated with them and the attacks. Grew quite an interest in architecture too, but that has now worn off.

I was walking home from a 6th form class when I got a text from a friend telling me to turn on the news. When I got in, the two towers had already fallen and New York looked apocalyptic.

RIP.

I remember vividly most of it even though I was only in elementary school. I remember clearly the woman on the top floor in one tower leaning out the window and waving a sheet. I also remember seeing the dots falling beside the towers and figuring out that those were people. I couldn't help but tear up a tad. Heights and falling are my two greatest fears, so that whole event is eerily interesting.

On the subject of the Memorial, from what I've seen it looks absolutely stunning. Along with the new Tower One.

crispychicken49
They interviewed the Man Who Walked Between The Towers (I forgot his name) and it was just terrible seeing what it did to him.

I don't remember him, who is that?

Last edited:
I was in my 8th grade math class when a student from another class came running it. Some kids left the class to go check it out but the teacher tried to continue teaching. Shortly after we switched classes and I got to watch it on TV for most of my next class. I didn't really believe what happened until I saw it, and only one plane had hit. We watched the second one hit and our jaws dropped.

I was at my parent's place, having just started writing my Ph.D thesis. My Dad was home that day too, and he shouted on me... I remember thinking 'this had better be good', as I had just got started and was concentrating on writing. We spent the rest of the afternoon switching between BBC and Sky news channels, scarcely believing what we were watching.

I followed events after that very closely, although for my girlfriend, it was something to be avoided. She would even switch channels whenever something about 9/11 came on the TV. I could never really understand that, other than to believe that she found it all too depressing.

9/11 is pretty much the only event that genuinely freaks me out. It is one of the major historical events that really shows the darker side of humanity.

The summer prior to 9/11 was disturbed by rumors and threats of terrorist attack. I know because Navy patrol boats never seen before were racing up and down Hood Canal in front of the Trident sub base nearby to my waterfront fishing cabin.

The morning of 9/11, I looked up at the Moon prior to mounting my Suzuki Bandit for the morning commute into the Boeing Renton plant. What I saw was a slender crescent moon offset by a single bright star, and it's eerie resemblance to the Islamic symbol sent an involuntary shiver down my spine. Twenty minutes after booting up my computer at work, I saw on the breaking news that the dirty deed had been done.

9/11 goes down in my mythic human memory exactly like the JFK assassination in '63 or the Moon landing of Armstrong in '69. All were unforgettable watershed events loaded with symbolism and perpetually unresolved questions and implications.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

I remember seeing images of the remnants of the Twin Towers on ITV, and that's about it.

One thing I remember too is when the second plane crashed my mother took me out of school because she didn't know if there would be another attack. When we were driving home we heard the news where they were reporting that another plane crashed into the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania. Nobody knew if they were targeting all the states or not at the time.

CAM
I don't remember him, who is that?

His name was Felipe something, but what he did was string a tight rope across the two towers and walked on it until police arrived, it was like 2 or so hours that he walked in between them.

I was at the boarding school leisure room, making out with a swedish exchange student.
Had the last hour free (3pm) when someone switched to the news.
Then we watched all in shock, after a few minutes I phoned my parents who wouldn't pick up as usual.

RIP all victims

9/11 is pretty much the only event that genuinely freaks me out. It is one of the major historical events that really shows the darker side of humanity.

Not a history person? There are way more inhuman historic events in the history than that. Not that 9/11 wasn't, but for major event showcasing the darker side of humans there are more hitting exemples than 9/11. Though for the US it is a lot more sensible subject.
This reply is not to be insensitive. So sorry if someone is offended by it.

Last edited:
I had just got off work and was relaxing on the recliner when i seen this on the news.At first i thought it was just one really bad accident,but when the second plane hit i knew it was no accident.

After seeing those buildings fall and those who lost their lives,it caused me to snap a little inside.I had so much anger inside me that i nearly went and enlisted for the war.If it wasn't or my Mother and Sister crying i would have been in the war.

It's hard to believe it's been 10 years already.

I was at work at the time, I walked into my boss' office and he was watching it while the first tower was burning, I suspected something strange was going on, (as the twin towers are a hard to miss object) and as I was thinking it, the second plane confirmed my thoughts. I am not from the US, but my life changed that day.

Everytime I see those pictures of the towers I get a sickening feeling in my body.

Back