Another GT2 Race Report: The Apricot Hill 300k

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 2' started by TheBook, Nov 15, 2007.

1. TheBook

TheBook Premium

So, since there's only been one full race report around here, I figure I'll do one. This is also my first enduro using ePSXe...should be fun. (The words in here are what is going through my head at the time.)

Race: Apricot Hill 200km Enduro

Car: Red Nismo 400, completely stock-393 HP, 3417 lb. Power/weight: 8.69 lb/hp. Normal Tires, too.

My competition (I reset a few times to get the GT40 out of the field):
    5th starting spot: Lancer Evolution VI GSR
    4th starting spot: RUF BTR2
    3rd starting spot: Toyota Supra RZ '97
    2nd starting spot: Acura NSX Type S Zero
    1st starting spot: Impreza WRX STi Ver. VI

Lap 1: I forget to turn the FPS limiter on, so I royally screw up Turn 1. Leaves me 2.6 seconds behind at Sector 1. I am, however, able to catch up and pass the Evo in the switchback, leaving me 5th, 3.685
    seconds back.

Lap 2: Guess what I do again? Fortunately, I was able to save it, while the NSX completely spins. The WRX also drifts way out, but he's too far ahead to do anything with. At least until about the switchbacks, where I take a slightly too big of a risk and spin it out. Leaves me in 5th, 15.284 seconds behind the RUF.

Lap 3: I do the unthinkable-I cut the switchbacks. It does put me in 3rd, though. Feels good to cut through the Evo and WRX in one fell swoop, even if it does feel like cheating.

Lap 4: I get caught up to the Supra, pasing it coming out of the hairpin. 15.179 seconds between me and the RUF at the line. (This is going to be fun.)

Lap 5: I note that this is a very good car for the novice drifter-easy to break loose, but still fairly easy to control. I'm flying low now, gaining over a second and a half on the RUF.

Lap 6: Another huge gain...down to 11.626 seconds. Am I really driving that much better, or are the RUF's tires already going away? Guess I'll find out in a lap or two.

Lap 9: I see the RUF in the distance, and mess up the hairpin because of it. Oh well-I only lose half a second from it. I end up 7.728 seconds back at the line-I'm really gaining now, my tires are OK after 9 laps, and my times are as good as ever.

Lap 10: Scratch that about the lap times-I off in turn 1. Another oh well-I don't lose any time by the end of the lap.

Lap 11: The RUF pits...I've got yellow tires, but my car's handling is going...ummm...where the sun don't shine, so I'll pit next lap.

Lap 12: I pit...the RUF passes me. I come out 14 seconds back. (Great...right back to where I was.)

Lap 16: Off-again. On the hairpin-again. (This is really beginning to tick me off...) 16.094 seconds back.

Lap 17: 13.372 seconds back. ("I'm Back" by Dope starts playing in my head...) Also my fastest lap of the race so far- a 1:28.383.

Lap 18: 10.082 seconds and counting...

Lap 20: I outbrake the NSX in the hairpin to lap it. I also get by the WRX in the switchbacks. Amazingly, I don't lose any time to the RUF dealing with the traffic.

Lap 22: The Evo's lapped in the Section 1 esses. The RUF pits, so I figure, "Oh, what the heck, I'll come in too." Unfortunately, everyone unlaps themselves. (Well, this'll be a good test of skill...dealing with a faster car and lapping cars.)

Lap 23: The NSX and WRX are placed on the "lapped-car" list, and I'm back on the RUF's tail.

Lap 26: I somehow spin out on the switchbacks...leaving me 16.660 seconds back (I really hope this didn't kill whatever minor chance I actually had at winning this race...).

Lap 29: I get around the Supra in the switchbacks fairly easily...8.856 seconds behind the RUF.

Lap 30: I get hit from behind by the Supra, spining me out in turn 1. 15.315 seconds behind the RUF.
    (Maybe I can stay out another lap and gain a little bit...)

Lap 31: Revenge is sweet as I put the Supra in the wall at the switchbacks. I don't even lose any time on the RUF.

Lap 33: The RUF pits, so I just go, "Whatever," and pit with it. The Supra gets around us, however.

Lap 34: The Supra pits, so the only car around for miles is the RUF.

Lap 35: Actually seeing the RUF has given me a little boost-I run my best lap time of the race, a 1:27.918.

Lap 36: I can smell the RUF's exhaust as I run even faster-last lap was a 1:27.453.

Lap 37-38: I get around the RUF in the switchbacks, but spin in turn 1 to leave me 7.749 seconds back.

Halfway through lap 38: I take a little break-take a shower and talk with the parents-before I come back for a fresh attempt on the RUF.

Lap 40: The NSX gets lapped in the Section 1 esses.

Lap 41: The Evo gets lapped in literally the same place. I also get around the WRX as it pulls into the pits.

Lap 42: I pass the RUF out of the final turn, and am actually able to stay ahead into turn 1.

Lap 43: The entire lap is a dogfight for the lead, but I'm still holding on. (Good thing we both pit next lap...)

Lap 44: The RUF and I pull in for our last time. (Great, a 5-lap shootout for the finish. Please don't screw this up.)

Lap 46: I'm burning up the track again-1:27.043 becomes my new best time. Better yet, the RUF is nowhere in sight. ("Flying High Again" by Ozzy Osbourne starts playing in my head...)

Lap 49: 1:26.778. Enough said.

Lap 50: Caught up to the Supra, but didn't have enough time to lap it before I crossed the line.

Final results:
    1st place: Nismo 400R-1:17:00.8 (Best lap: 1:26.778)
    2nd place: RUF BTR2- +14.032
    3rd place: Toyota Supra RZ '97- +3:04.964
    4th place: Impreza WRX STi Ver. VI- +4:08.607
    5th place: Lancer Evolution VI GSR '99- +4:17.148
    6th place: Acura NSX Type S Zero- +4:24.346

Final thoughts:

The 400R is a fairly tricky car to drive, especially on worn tires (especially Normals). I think that's why I didn't do as well as I probably should. But the tires made it a challenge, and I like challenges.

Set up like this, the RUF cars are formidable opponents; I can't even imagine how far behind I'd be with the GT40.

Well, there you go. Hoped you liked it.

P.S. Here's a couple of drifts I did with the 400R on the Hill. They're not great, but...

Attached Files:

2. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

It's cool you drove a completely stock car. It's so tempting to mess with some settings. How did you think your car handled & manuvered? I've never driven that one so i'm curious.

3. sucahyo

sucahyo

Nice report :tup:.

4. Thiele

Thiele

Amazing report +rep. :tup:

5. TheBook

TheBook Premium

It's fairly easy to break loose, but not too tough to control in a drift-like I said in the report, "A good car for the novice drifter." Especially in Turns 1 and 2, where the car's balance was off-kilter and would go way off to the side, going sideways from my attempts to save it.

Although some different tires probably would've helped make it more neutral.

6. superberkut

superberkut

Excellent report. Also, a nice reference to some forgotten songs there...

7. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/logs/gt2enduro.txt

Code:
    Game: gt2-game1
    Day: 429
    Date: March 19, 2000
    Race: Apricot Hill 200km Endurance Race
    Car: Mine's Lancer Evolution V (stock)
    Result: 1st
    Prize-Car: red Lancia Stratos(dup)(sold)
    1st:*  Mine's Lancer Evolution V      1-13:40.3   
    2nd:   Ford GT40                      +1:19.338  (1-14:59.6)
    3rd:   Ford GT40                      +1:38.626  (1-15:18.9)
    4th:   Jaguar XK8 Coupe               +7:29.116  (1-21:09.4) 4 laps
    5th:   3000GT Turbo MR                +8:09.334  (1-21:49.6) 4 laps
    6th:   BMW 840Ci                     +12:15.618  (1-25:55.9) 6 laps
    Lap1: 1:32.518
    fl: 1:24.781
    Pits: 12,25,38
    But then, it's about the same power, but quite a bit lighter than the 400R, I think.

8. TheBook

TheBook Premium

Yes. The Mine's has about 20 more horsepower and weighs about 1300 pounds less. Also has a heckuva lot better handling than the 400R.

9. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Wow that's weird. Sportwagon had 2 GT40's in his race. Yet another thing they dropped from GT2 in later games: multiple cars of the same make & model can appear in the same race!

10. TheBook

TheBook Premium

I never really thought of that. One of the more overlooked bugs (is it really a bug?) in the game.

I've also been thinking about taking the 400R to Seattle and seeing what I can do there. You guys out there think I'll be outclassed?

11. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

No not a bug. They simply programmed the parameters to include the possibility of multiple cars showing up of the same make & model. :tup: I dig that....i've seen this happen before but i dont remember having any races with 2 GT40's. That musta been a handful...

12. TheBook

TheBook Premium

And yet, he was still almost able to lap both of them. Shows just how good the Mine's Evo is. (Or at least, how good of a pit window it had.)

13. Thiele

Thiele

From memory, i think there is the same cars in one race in some events in GT3 and GT4. I know there is on GT4 if you enter a single model race. (it has 6 cars exactly the same, sometimes different colours)

14. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Actually he won by a margin of 6 seconds? 1:13 versus 1:19

15. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

Read again. 1:19 is my margin. Perhaps I don't use colons etc. in the standard fashion.