any good mercedes?

• Thread starter free toes
  • 14 comments
all the mercedes ive fixedd were rubbish. they handle like a pregnant hippo with a leg missingand acelarate like sheep in mud. are there any good ones in the game? there's one sort of ok 1 but even that doesnt keep up with equivelent cars and they're expensive :yuck:

free toes
all the mercedes ive fixedd were rubbish. they handle like a pregnant hippo with a leg missingand acelarate like sheep in mud. are there any good ones in the game? there's one sort of ok 1 but even that doesnt keep up with equivelent cars and they're expensive :yuck:

I would have to disagree with you, sort of. I only have the AMG C43 (the second heaviest Benz). Yes, it's expensive and heavy. Yes, it handles poorly at first, but with the right suspension and settings it can be a lot of fun.

I tested this car too, without dropping the clutch off the start mark. 0 to 60 in 5.3 seconds? ¼ Mile in 14 seconds @102 mph? Top speed of 171 mph? That's not the fastest, but it's also not slow, dude. And when fully loaded the engine has 530 horsepower. I won the Apricot Hill enduro against the Ford GT40 a few weeks ago, and my Benz only had 479 hp. When going down the straights together, the Benz and the GT40 were comparably matched in speed, and I had to wrestle the car at times to get it to handle, but I still won! And this was with sports tires too, not slicks. No weight reductions either. I used a semiracing suspension lowered to 111mm and no traction controls or limited-slip.

Anyways, it's all in how you choose your racing line thru curves...if you go too wide, the Benz will understeer easily and you'll wind up in the sand. If you apply too much throttle, you'll be spinning. You have to find that delicate balance..countersteer, brakes....it takes patience, young grasshoppa.

Last edited:
SportWagon
Did you try the SLK? What did you think? It's a fun car for its class.

I was assuming he tried the SLK already. It's obviously one of the sportier models.

I bought the CLK 230 Kompressor, but only for the dealership challenge. I tuined it a little, and it was okay, but not a great car. In the same class, you could use a Lancer Evo IV or the '69 Z28, two much better cars in the same general HP range.

In some ways I agree with vette_7t9, but in others, I find his choices limited. Sure, there's a lot of different Vette's and a couple RX-7s, but real sports potential is where you least expect it. You expect the Vettes to have a lot of raw engine power, and the RX-7s have the great twin rotary engines which in theory provide great performance (I say in theory because under mechanical failure conditions, no car is going to prove to have more power) The Renault Clio Sport 24V is a great car when you tune it out. It competes in all the Mid-Engine Car Cup Races easily, and has the same price tag a as a Benz.

SHORT ANSWER: THEY AREN'T REALLY WORTH IT.

If this guy can't handle a Benz, there's no way he'll be able to control a Clio Sport!! That thing is like a crab on steroids!

Last edited:
Of course, there's always the wonderful CLK Race Car. You need a GameShark or a DexDrive for it, though, because it's a hidden car.

The SLK's is nice when tuned, but don't expect miracles from the other cars in the game. Great road cars, but not so stellar racing cars. But you can race the best road cars in the game with great zeal if you tune them right.

But they're fair (i.e. appropriately (in)capable) cars to enter in the "Luxury Car" set of races.

that clio is a pretty sweet car. it handles extremely well, and i like the slight hint of oversteering wheel spin when pushed hard. the engine is very responsive, and has more than enuff power to please anyone. i like how the car apexes with much ease, and handles nice where other cars understeer horribly (mercedes! haha).

vette_7t9
that clio is a pretty sweet car. it handles extremely well, and i like the slight hint of oversteering wheel spin when pushed hard. the engine is very responsive, and has more than enuff power to please anyone. i like how the car apexes with much ease, and handles nice where other cars understeer horribly (mercedes! haha).

Finally, someone who agrees with me. It's a great car, and highly underrated. It can run and win most of the 591 HP limit races . Mine blew away the competition on the third Grand Touring Trophy race (I was hoping for a challenge...). This car is one of the best you can buy for around 50,000 credits (aside from the Skyline GT-R), too. The MR layout pushes the handling and power to it's limit. It's acceleration and ability to handle a higher top speed that most cars in that HP range make it a great car on the track. It reminds me a lot of the RX-7 Inifini III in the fact that despite it's lack over all horsepower, it keeps up with the pack with no problems.

If you want to spend 50,000 on a car, buy The Clio Sport 24V or if you haven't bought it yet, the Skyline GT-R R34 V-Spec. You won't reget either purchase.

Seeing the title of that thread make me realise that I don't have any Mercedes car in my GT2 garage.
And if I don't have any Mercedes it's because it's not worth it: too heavy, just the car for rich retired couples :). They should have included the racing DTM model, the way they did it with the Opel Vectra and calibra.

TruenoEightSix
Finally, someone who agrees with me. It's a great car, and highly underrated. It can run and win most of the 591 HP limit races .

My point here was that the Clio Sport is a bad choice for a beginner...its short wheelbase and mid engine layout guarantees plenty of instability and sideways motion, especially when the engine is heavily modified. The Clio is always trying to get sideways. And if the guy who originally posted this thread can't handle a Benz (a heavy but stable car), he'll have a hard time with the Clio Sport.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely fast and a lot of fun for someone who's more experienced. There's no other car like it in GT2. Its handling is unique.

Back