Any tips for someone who just got the game?

• Thread starter FoolKiller
  • 40 comments

FoolKiller

Don't be a fool.
Premium
United States
Frankfort, KY
GTP_FoolKiller
FoolKiller1979
So, I got this in from Gamefly a couple of days ago. I will most likely Keep It as it will only cost me $25.

I have a DFP and I am doing better than with the Sixaxis because of my ability to control throttle and brake better. However, I am taking time to get used to the 200 degree mode and the incredible speed of the game. It can be unforgiving if you aren't careful.

I'm currently doing some Time Trials to learn the tracks and the way the cars handle the different turns with occasional Quick Races thrown in when I feel confident on a certain track.

Now, am I helping or hurting myself by doing it this way? I am curious whether or not I would be better doing career mode so that I work my way up from test driver. I refuse to turn damage off as I don't want to get used to the idea that I am fine bumping in tight turns. I want to learn to predict how the AI handles traffic so that I can respond accordingly and avoid accidents.

So far I am loving the game in every aspect and hope to master it soon. I really love the way the pit controls work. I would love to see something like that implemented into GT.

This game has made me appreciate how much I truly use FFB in driving games as I grew accustomed to using feel to read the track and tell when I needed to correct for small mistakes that will becoem large otherwise. Visual and auditory cues alone just don't seem the same.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I'm gonna assume this doesn't need to be stated, but JIC...

For the love of Pete (any pete will do actually) if you wanna get anywhere near skilled DO NOT start racing on anything below Medium difficulty!! Also make sure all driving aids, save maybe Traction Control and ABS, are OFF. Naturally the naturalists will contend even the last point, but I still say it's a choice of personal preference.

Agreed. Trying to drive an F1 car (sorry, simulated car) the 1st time the speed is outrageous :crazy: But as a driving sim veteran I bet you find yourself acclimating pretty damn quick.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with the strategy you are employing. And actually fighting through the lighting conditions on time trial mode will make you that much more comfortable when racing in full daylight. A related recommendation though, don't quit TT'ing a track until you get below the gold time. That way you'll have the confidence to know you can be fairly fast around those tracks and have a fighting chance on medium. Yes, alas, getting just below gold is only good enough to beat medium consistently. Assuming you haven't read this already, but the truth is Hard is dang f'n hard. After 40+ hours with the game I can honestly say I'm only fast enough on 2 tracks to even compete with the Hard AI on a fast lap basis. Now as far as being consistent enough to keep up on multiple laps? Yikes, I haven't even given that a try yet. So I'd guess medium should prove plenty of entertainment to you for a good while, unless you are some F1 natural (and if so my hat off to ya).

What else... on the vast majority of corners if you are off the well worn racing line you are losing time. It won't seem that way at first, but it really is true.

Something else not expected, when you go online there is zero performance difference between the different team's rides. So a Midland can be just as fast as a Renault, etc. One thing we do not know, at least no one I've quizzed, is what the "online car" is based on (performance wise). Is it a McLaren, Ferrari, Renault, what? Also we don't know how they setup the online car for each track. Why does this matter? Well because it can be very difficult to practice offline for online, especially since you don't know what settings to use to approx. the online car's performance and handling characteristics.

Lastly, these car's seem particularly sensitive to hard breaking when not done in a straight line. Also throttle on/snap oversteer is common in slow corners if you are not really careful. And some tracks have nasty, tight, little downhill corners on bumpy pavement. These things can be a right 🤬 to navigate safely.

In many ways it is a fantastic racing experience, but of course the little niggles start to get more and more annoying the more you play. But I won't bring you down with that crap right here, you deserve to enjoy the thrill while it lasts. :D

FYI there's been word that a patch to add FFB is forthcoming coming this summer. And as you may have seen already there's almost zero official word on the status of Sony and the F1 license :banghead:

For the love of Pete (any pete will do actually) if you wanna get anywhere near skilled DO NOT start racing on anything below Medium difficulty!! Also make sure all driving aids, save maybe Traction Control and ABS, are OFF. Naturally the naturalists will contend even the last point, but I still say it's a choice of personal preference.
I haven't even played with difficulty much because I am just working to learn tracks right now, but I will make sure to check it when I start racing regularly.

All aids off and I only use the traction control and ABS as needed for each situation.

Agreed. Trying to drive an F1 car (sorry, simulated car) the 1st time the speed is outrageous :crazy: But as a driving sim veteran I bet you find yourself acclimating pretty damn quick.
I would probably get used to teh speed more quickly if it weren't for the 200 degree mode, but still before my first pit stop on time trials I usually have earned a bronze time.

And actually fighting through the lighting conditions on time trial mode will make you that much more comfortable when racing in full daylight.
So it isn't just me. They do seem to have the sun placed at an annoyingly glaring point on what seems like every track? I say that not having driven every track yet, but so far I always seem to hit a spot where it is hard to see. Coming on to the front straight at Suzuka was the worst so far.

What else... on the vast majority of corners if you are off the well worn racing line you are losing time. It won't seem that way at first, but it really is true.
I noticed this. I've also noticed that if you are off you lose a lot more speed than you like adjusting.

Something else not expected, when you go online there is zero performance difference between the different team's rides. So a Midland can be just as fast as a Renault, etc.
Definitely good to know.

Lastly, these car's seem particularly sensitive to hard breaking when not done in a straight line. Also throttle on/snap oversteer is common in slow corners if you are not really careful. And some tracks have nasty, tight, little downhill corners on bumpy pavement. These things can be a right 🤬 to navigate safely.
This is a fact that isn't easily missed. I can say I've found myself looking the wrong way a few times for these very reasons.

Thanks.

I jumped right into Career mode on Easy when I started and ended up starting a new career on Medium because easy was, well, easy!!! If you can post what lap times you are getting maybe we can tell whether or not you're ready for Medium in Career mode. Remember, once you start your Career, you CANNOT change the difficulty!!!! Getting to know the tracks will help you get a First Driver seat instead of a Test Driver seat. Keep us posted!!!

I jumped right into Career mode on Easy when I started and ended up starting a new career on Medium because easy was, well, easy!!! If you can post what lap times you are getting maybe we can tell whether or not you're ready for Medium in Career mode. Remember, once you start your Career, you CANNOT change the difficulty!!!! Getting to know the tracks will help you get a First Driver seat instead of a Test Driver seat. Keep us posted!!!
I was posting silver medal times on Monza last night without much difficulty (1:25:6xx I think).

Then I tried a 10% quick race on medium and I managed to work my way up through the field from 5th when somehow my back tire got cut and I was trying to limp to the pits on a flat, only to have the car spin as I was turning into pit lane and I hit the wall and lost my front tire - DNF. I tried restarting the race, but I was too frustrated to concentrate enough after that.

If you start a Career, go with Medium difficulty. You can practice the tracks before qualifying all you want(well, a couple hours anyway). When you're ready, qualify and then do the race. That is a decent time for Monza BTW.

If you start a Career, go with Medium difficulty. You can practice the tracks before qualifying all you want(well, a couple hours anyway). When you're ready, qualify and then do the race. That is a decent time for Monza BTW.

And I think most people don't realize any setup changes you make during the practice sessions are saved to the hard drive. This means that you can basically practice prior to a race in career mode indefinitely. So if you're forced into qualifying because time ran out just quit and restart and all car setup changes will be just the same as you left'em :) This assumes you saved between races of course.

Another little tidbit I just thought of, JIC anyone still cars ;), is that to make a 2-pit strategy work you'll probably need the race distance around at least 50% (that's my guess at least for a "fairly skilled" driver playing on medium difficulty). I tried employing it in career mode at Istanbul on 30% race distance and I was probably about 5 laps short of being able to compensate for the extra pit with my faster lap times. Of course I was also in a relatively slow Toyota seat, so with one of the better teams I probably would have been ok.

Monza is easy to get that time if you have a low downforce setting and the gearbox ratio set to speed. You don't even need a very good lap as you'll simply make up the time on the straights, providing you get some sort of half decent exit from the corners that lead to the flat out parts.

It's the sort of circuit where it's easy to get a respectable time, but incredibly difficult to get a really good time.

Check out this for a time. 1 min 17 or something insane.

If that was online it was really good because you cant change the car setup annoyingly. But if it was offline the gear ratio setting was far too short, the engine kept maxing out only half way down the main straight and on every other straight. If it were a real race the engine would explode before the end.
I'm going to start playing this game next week and hopefully i'll have a better lap to show you!

If that was online it was really good because you cant change the car setup annoyingly. But if it was offline the gear ratio setting was far too short, the engine kept maxing out only half way down the main straight and on every other straight. If it were a real race the engine would explode before the end.
I'm going to start playing this game next week and hopefully i'll have a better lap to show you!

Yeah you are right, my best offline is 1:14.069 and a 1:13.798 online, which is only good for 469th best. The Monte top time, at least that looks legitimate and not a glitch, is 1:09.664. And there are 4 1:09's and a couple pages of 1:10's. Wow. Some crazy good drivers out there.

Hold on, are you talking about Monza or Monte Carlo or Montreal?

Surely it's impossible to get 1 minute 10 seconds or whatever on Monza, that's like 11 seconds faster than the lap record for christ's sake! Tell me you're talking about Montreal?

Hold on, are you talking about Monza or Monte Carlo or Montreal?

Surely it's impossible to get 1 minute 10 seconds or whatever on Monza, that's like 11 seconds faster than the lap record for christ's sake! Tell me you're talking about Montreal?

Ah crap, sometimes when I get home from work I’m near brain dead. So for some reason I read Monte Carlo and not Monza in your post. Yes those are all Monte Carlo times. My apologies for the confusion and yeah, obviously the fast legitimate Monza times are no where near the 1:10’s.

Sweet, I just managed 1:13.243 offline at Monte Carlo. I wasn't having any joy trying to beat your time at first (could only manage 1:14.145) but then almost by accident I took the turn 13-14 chicane completely flat out and then achieved the aforementioned time. If you take it flat out you need a good entry angle but also you'll need to brake earlier before turn 15 as a result of going that much faster. It made my 2nd sector time a full half second faster than my previous best ever.

Lesson learnt? Take 13-14 flat out!

I use a wheel. I have very clumbsy fingers. I started out on easy with all aids but everyone convinced me to turn things off. I adapted quickly, but if you are new to it, turn off braking assistance and then you are good to go. I use a driving force pro ex. It does fine for this. Have fun.👍

I've got the game now, turned off all the aids except BTA Markers (with out this i just crash at every corer and loose a wheel and thats it.
So when i get used to the cars/tracks this will also be coming off.

ATM I've completed one 6 lap race (Bahrain and i was + 1min 28sec on the winner)
Most other races i either dint finish or get lapped.

But as Tomf4i03 says
practise practise practise

wheel coming soon so should be fun.

Thats about 15seconds a lap off the pace. Try and get that down to at most 4seconds a lap by then you should know the track quite well so the car setup is what you'll have to start tampering with then just keep practicing the track first though and then when you master that the fun part is getting your setups just right and winning, not just because you drove faultlessly but also because you had a good setup and pit stop startegy.
Is the AI on hard.

A1 is on Medium :(

Turned off BTA Markers now but put on dynamic controls so i can play with the TC and BB,

What does brake bias do, does it move the brake % around?

Mike

Welcome Mike

Once you get more time in seat you''ll get more speed and learn the circuits. Be patient , it will come.

Play with TCS and you'll find in replays how much you can get away with. Remember it is really only traction management. Once you exceed available traction it doesn't do anything.

Brakes can be used to make the car pivot on turn in on curbs but that comes much later than for beginners. Some rear brakes can be used but when weight transfers to the front under braking the car will turn to be more unstable and then oversteer. A lot is just feel taylored to your driving style as you develop.

have fun and remember the only stupid question is the one you Don't ask!

Cheers

Robert

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I'm glad I found it. I was lucky enough to play the demo at a local Targets and Even though the remote at the display was acting strange and was poorly maintained(How the hell does the rubber go missing on the remote?), It was great. The track I raced at was Monza on Medium with the Brake aids off(Because they will slow you down)and Damage on. I had alot of close calls but luckily came out without a scratch and even managed to take the win by inches. I'll get the game sometime next week and until then will be stuck with downloading the demo on my PS3. Today, I was using two games to practice on three circuits That I know will be on their: Silverstone, Monza,(Both Courtesy of Total Immersion Racing) and Suzuka(GT4). With these tracks, It'll hopefully make learning the full game alot easier.

Welcome Racecar!

I can tell you have found something that excites you and that's a good thing. This game has some flaws but overall it is a great sim experience. I have multiple jet type ratings and hp simulator time and except for the motion and g forces it is a very realistic sim.
Some areas could be more regulation faithful but again it not the real thing.

Get it installed and learn the circuits then pick a car and develop it and get faster. It will be a blast. I gar-an-tee !

Robert

Welcome Racecar!

I can tell you have found something that excites you and that's a good thing. This game has some flaws but overall it is a great sim experience. I have multiple jet type ratings and hp simulator time and except for the motion and g forces it is a very realistic sim.
Some areas could be more regulation faithful but again it not the real thing.

Get it installed and learn the circuits then pick a car and develop it and get faster. It will be a blast. I gar-an-tee !

Robert
Thanks man. I unexpectedly got the game sooner then I expected and I thought I was gonna get the chance to play it yesterday but the Gamestop I went to said they were out of PS3s. So thanks to me reserving one at a local Fry's Electronics, I'll get to play it June 1st. So I have a great game with no console to play it on:indiff:However, The little instruction book helped me understand what I needed to get online so that was helpful:tup:

Edit:

attachment.php

:D

Attachments

• F1CE.JPG
    F1CE.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 233
Hi all like RACECAR i've only just found this thread. I'm a huge fan of F1 and try to get to Albert Park most years (just up the road).
I've got a question, I just got the demo of this and loved it and intend to purchase the full game ASAP, my only concern is my wheel (logitech G25) doesn't work with the demo.
Am i doing something wrong? I checked the Logitech website and it says this game supports the G25. I'm assuming the full game is supported not the demo.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

EDIT:
I found the answer to my question in another thread. Should have looked first Sorry.

Say guys, how does time trail work? Do you go out and try to beat a set record, or is it more of a pratice session kind of like GT4? I always like to go to pratice the first I start playing any racing game so that I can get a good feel for the physics, the tracks and the car's settings.

Say guys, how does time trail work? Do you go out and try to beat a set record, or is it more of a pratice session kind of like GT4? I always like to go to pratice the first I start playing any racing game so that I can get a good feel for the physics, the tracks and the car's settings.

There is a gold and silver and bronze time you can try and beat, but in the dry with a half decent setup the time isnt much of a challenge so it is more of just a practice session.

Hey Racecar

I did ever so like the Stewart Family Quilt in the background of the image of the game.

I was lucky and got mine copy of the game for 19. USD used in a EB store in perfect nic.

'Bout the only good luck recently though!

Robert

How long does it normally take to get into the better teams? I started with Super Aguri and had around nine or ten races, only finishing half though, but I am fairly new to this and it was a real challenge to even finish ninth at Magny-Cours. I get adverts and I apply but they never accept. Will I get a chance in the second season perhaps?

Back