Anyone else feel like the next gen consoles should have launched with more racing games?

• Thread starter ICEYOU3
  • 48 comments

ICEYOU3

(Banned)
United States
Selatapura, Usea
The consoles need more racers, it's just unbelievable that they launched with no good racing games. And before you say dIrT fIvE is out, that game is not what I'm looking for in a racer. All we have right now are "walking simulators", I wouldn't have mind a hypothetical Driveclub 2 or perhaps a prologue version of Gran Turismo 7.

Guess I'm waiting for Hot Wheels and NASCAR to come out later this year. GT7, NFS and Test Drive all won't launch until probably late next freakin' year. Jeez talk about a dry spell.

Last edited:
The consoles need more racers, it's just unbelievable that they launched with no good racing games. And before you say dIrT fIvE is out, that game is not what I'm looking for in a racer. All we have right now are "walking simulators", I wouldn't have mind a hypothetical Driveclub 2 or perhaps a prologue version of Gran Turismo 7.

Guess I'm waiting for Hot Wheels and NASCAR to come out later this year. GT7, NFS and Test Drive all won't launch until probably late next freakin' year. Jeez talk about a dry spell.
The PS5 version of Wreckfest is free on PS Plus atm. Give that a go 👍, and there's nothing stopping you from playing your PS4 ones. A few of mine really benefit from the extra power.

Be patient, they'll come. :)

Dirt 5, WRC9. Rally is really well represented. It’s just that circuit racing in general is lacking...

Assetto Competizione is very playable on Ps5 if you really wany a technical racer.

Dirt 5, WRC9. Rally is really well represented. It’s just that circuit racing in general is lacking...

Assetto Competizione is very playable on Ps5 if you really wany a technical racer.

Yeah that's half the problem though, they're all on PS4 as well. Even F1 2021 is coming out on last-gen consoles. Not really much incentive to buy a new console if you're a racing fan yet.

I would say that the next gen consoles should’ve launched with more games in general :lol:

But I do agree that there aren’t many racers for next gen, and more won’t come anytime soon.
Actually, this gen have biggest lineup in history. Previous gen start lineup also was crossgen for 2/3, but lacks half of the games that was released same year.

As a console racing guy, I had a XBSX & a PS5 in my online basket the other day ready to buy (with a 10% discount aswell) I hesitated & thought "what do I need these now for" no next gen ACC, PC4 or AMS2 yet, no Forza 8 or GT7 (not that I'm that bothered about these 2) & no more GTR3 by the looks of it. So I just emptied my basket & thought nothing more of it, better things to be spending £800 on atm.

Last edited:
A Driveclub remastered or a Driveclub 2 (never gonna happen) would be the only games to tempt me to go next gen, having way too much fun playing PC games these days

So far I have been more impressed by the technical features of my series S console: Fast loading times, quick resume, fps boost, and the fact that it doesn't make a single sound and is about the size of a small cookie box!
I have yet to see a game that screams "next generation" to me, although I've seen promising hints here and there (The Medium, the Bright Memory sampler, to name a few.)
Thankfully my purchase did not depend on a particular game or genre, so I can wait until the games truly start coming in.

As a console racing guy, I had a XBSX & a PS5 in my online basket the other day ready to buy (with a 10% discount aswell) I hesitated & thought "what do I need these now for" no next gen ACC, PC4 or AMS2 yet, no Forza 8 or GT7 (not that I'm that bothered about these 2) & no more GTR3 by the looks of it. So I just emptied my basket & thought nothing more of it, better things to be spending £800 on atm.

Who was the retailer, may I ask? Is the 10% discount regular or something special that you had?

If I find a good deal, I might be tempted to get a nextgenconsole for the racing games I already have as I'm going to get one eventually anyway, and can get the benefit of fast loading etc (where it is enabled) while I wait for the next gen racing games to arrive.

Last edited:
Who was the retailer, may I ask? Is the 10% discount regular or something special that you had?

If I find a good deal, I might be tempted to get a nextgenconsole for the racing games I already have as I'm going to get one eventually anyway, and can get the benefit of fast loading etc (where it is enabled) while I wait for the next gen racing games to arrive.
Argos, 10% discount to staff & on special weekend it's 15%, A family member works for Sainsburys which owns argos so their staff discount is valid across the group, I get discount on my weekly food shop aswell :)

Last edited:
Sure doesn't feel that way. Shame the arcade racing genre has basically been dead since 7th gen
Forza Horizon 4 with NG upgrade, Dirt 5 with NG upgrade, Crew 2 and NFSH available in enchanted form for XOX/Pro. 360 start with PGR3, NFSMW(crossgen) and RR6. PS3 start with NFSC(crossgen) and RR7. One and PS4 start with Rivals(crossgen).

You could add FH, FH3, NFSP, Dirt 4 and Wreckfest to the list as those XOX/Pro friendly. Wreckfest even get NG upgrade.

I was going to wait as I was happy with my XB1X & PS4, (and back log), but due to the stock shortages I realised that I could get good money for my 1X so it made the purchase of the SX a no brainer, once I sold my 1X & 2 new controllers my SX only cost me £190, a steal imo. As I was always going to buy one anyway in my mind this actually saved me money as my 1X was only going to depreciate further in time. And tbh despite not having any next gen games the SX is great. I'd say go for it :)

Last edited:
Forza Horizon 4 with NG upgrade, Dirt 5 with NG upgrade, Crew 2 and NFSH available in enchanted form for XOX/Pro. 360 start with PGR3, NFSMW(crossgen) and RR6. PS3 start with NFSC(crossgen) and RR7. One and PS4 start with Rivals(crossgen).

You could add FH, FH3, NFSP, Dirt 4 and Wreckfest to the list as those XOX/Pro friendly. Wreckfest even get NG upgrade.
I think you sort of misunderstood my post.

I think you sort of misunderstood my post.
My point is that 9 gen starting with more racing games than previous generations, thanks to longer life cycle and extended backward capability. And more to come - TDUSC, all new NFS by Criterion and another remaster(MW'12?), next Forza Horizon. IDK how it could be classified as "basically dead"

It feels dead because a lot of those games you named are older now despite getting boosts. I want racers that get me excited for next gen.

Last edited:
It feels dead because a lot of those games you named are older now despite getting boosts
If you ask me, its better then getting half backed games at start of generation. Games like Motorstorm, Driveclub and FM5 are sad tales about wasted resources. Those weren't commercial success, nor big hits for critics. Furthermore, they wasted sales for next games in franchise or even kill developer studio

Last edited:
Well at least we have the new Hot Wheels game to look forward too... and NASCAR!

Last edited:
My point is that 9 gen starting with more racing games than previous generations, thanks to longer life cycle and extended backward capability. And more to come - TDUSC, all new NFS by Criterion and another remaster(MW'12?), next Forza Horizon. IDK how it could be classified as "basically dead"

Having games available via backwards compatibility is hardly the same as having a new selection, which was the point of the topic. PS2 launched with every single PS1 racing game playable but all anyone was interested in at launch was Ridge Racer V and until delayed, Gran Turismo 2000. Nobody was raving about all the old PS1 games we could still play because it's a given, and unimportant if you've already played them.

Having games available via backwards compatibility is hardly the same as having a new selection, which was the point of the topic. PS2 launched with every single PS1 racing game playable but all anyone was interested in at launch was Ridge Racer V and until delayed, Gran Turismo 2000. Nobody was raving about all the old PS1 games we could still play because it's a given, and unimportant if you've already played them.
Things changed since then. Technological leap isnt that big for NG and difference between old and new games way smaller. If you ask me, Forza Motorsport 4 and Horizon 1 with higher resolution would be way more interesting than Forza Motorsport 5 for start of XOne. Same with GT6. Sure, hype will be way smaller, but at the end Motorsport 5 and Horizon 2 could be much better titles with higher sales and T10 won't need to start FM from scratch.

Last edited:
Things changed since then. Technological leap isnt that big for NG and difference between old and new games way smaller. If you ask me, Forza Motorsport 4 and Horizon 1 with higher resolution would be way more interesting than Forza Motorsport 5 for start of XOne. Same with GT6. Sure, hype will be way smaller, but at the end Motorsport 5 and Horizon 2 could be much better titles with higher sales and T10 won't need to start FM from scratch.

Why, when I've already played those games? They're not new, they're inconsequential.

Why, when I've already played those games? They're not new, they're inconsequential.
What the difference between FM5 and FM4 aside from visuals and useless drivetars? Lack of content in FM5 and crappy campaign? Are you buying new games only because of next number in its name? Isnt it better instead of making one great game, mediocre game and decent game do two great games(with better foundation for next game)?

I get why they releasing new Horizon games every two years, but what the point for making 3 Motorsports last gen? People bought FM5, disappointed in it and stop buying it.

What the difference between FM5 and FM4 aside from visuals and useless drivetars? Lack of content in FM5 and crappy campaign? Are you buying new games only because of next number in its name? Isnt it better instead of making one great game, mediocre game and decent game do two great games(with better foundation for next game)?

I get why they releasing new Horizon games every two years, but what the point for making 3 Motorsports last gen? People bought FM5, disappointed in it and stop buying it.
I don’t get your point. If that’s how you feel, why make new games ever? It doesn’t make much sense what you’re trying to get at. Just seems like a massive tangent, and still has little to do with actual new games this gen.

I don’t get your point. If that’s how you feel, why make new games ever? It doesn’t make much sense what you’re trying to get at. Just seems like a massive tangent, and still has little to do with actual new games this gen.
My point is that game development should take as much time as it need to make great game. Launch titles for NG consoles never became great because of deadlines, raw SDKs and low playerbase. So, I am totally ok with BC and crossgen titles at start.

Last edited:
If you ask me, its better then getting half backed games at start of generation. Games like Motorstorm, Driveclub and FM5 are sad tales about wasted resources. Those weren't commercial success, nor big hits for critics. Furthermore, they wasted sales for next games in franchise or even kill developer studio
I'm pretty sure all 3 games that you mentioned were some of the best selling games for their respective consoles. There are also a growing number of people recognising Driveclub as an arcade racing masterpiece.

Back