Anyone know Why have Collective Minds dropped support for DD1?

• Thread starter CVpS5
  • 46 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
There is literature on the net that shows that the DH used to officially support DD1 drives but the latest documentation does not mention DD1. CM support have also confirmed that DD1 is not supported. Does anyone know why official support was dropped?

I’ve never known the drive hub to have been compatible with DD1/2. I remember thoroughly checking around a year ago even eith corresponding with their support.

I’ve never known the drive hub to have been compatible with DD1/2. I remember thoroughly checking around a year ago even eith corresponding with their support.

On this site you can see that they are suggesting that both the DD1 and DD2 are supported.

https://shop.cronusmax.com/drivehub.html

75DD830A-1FD0-4337-A8BD-83043A2BA566.png

Last edited:
The difference that must be understood is between native support and legacy support. The direct drives are and were not supported in there native mode. That’s a lot of trouble shooting to do when things aren’t working.

I am not sure I follow what you are saying Rob. The site used to say DD1 F1 in PS4 mode, and DD1, DD2 compatibility mode. But now CM just say DD1 is not supported, without qualifying ANY mode. So I am wondering why the change in stated support ?

Well I have a PS5, DD1 F1 and I want to use Heusinkveld Sprints primarily on ACC. I have connected it all up with the an officially PS4/5 licensed DD1 in PS Mode in the controller port, and it all seems to work, but I am sure that I am getting stuttering during game play. It feels like everything is laggy, so I am wondering if this is why official support for the DD1 has been withdrawn.

Last edited:
You have what I’d like for pedals (see my signature for my equipment). First I’ll assume you have things hooked up per their pathetic site. CM
I say pathetic because they group according to wheel and not base. Well, Fanatec is more complicated than that.
Next contact support again and make clear that you have F1 DD1 and not DD1

You have what I’d like for pedals (see my signature for my equipment). First I’ll assume you have things hooked up per their pathetic site. CM
I say pathetic because they group according to wheel and not base. Well, Fanatec is more complicated than that.
Next contact support again and make clear that you have F1 DD1 and not DD1

Thanks for the advice Rob. Yes I have the devices hooked up as per CM and Podger advice too. So I will contact CM support again and explicitly ask ask about DD1 F1 as you suggest. I guess I won’t hear back from them till Monday but I will be sure to update the thread with the outcome. The HE Sprints are really lovely, so much more fidelity than the V3’s. That being said, I have been swapping between the two today, and what I am finding is that the Sprints give me the confidence to explore braking limits and gain time, but once I have gained time on the Sprints, I can replicate on the V3’s. Beaten my best times at SPA and Monza on V3’s today by doing that today !

Yes, would be great to hear what support has to say. I’m afraid you’re in the land of verboten. Sony irritates the heck out of me. I wish I could go to PC and get the gambit of cars I’m wanting.

Yes, would be great to hear what support has to say. I’m afraid you’re in the land of verboten. Sony irritates the heck out of me. I wish I could go to PC and get the gambit of cars I’m wanting.
Sony mightn't have to keep changing things if people weren't trying to use external devices (CronusMAX) to cheat in some games, so the blame should be more on their shoulders. I'm not saying that using Drivehub is cheating in any way, shape or form or is even a bad thing, but it does try and skirt Sony's rules in the same way cheat devices do. Just saying...

Sony mightn't have to keep changing things if people weren't trying to use external devices (CronusMAX) to cheat in some games, so the blame should be more on their shoulders. I'm not saying that using Drivehub is cheating in any way, shape or form or is even a bad thing, but it does try and skirt Sony's rules in the same way cheat devices do. Just saying...
Sony shouldn't be such idiots about peripheral support, like forcing Fanatec to sell wheel bases with a wheel instead of just the wheelbase, and adding such a high cost for licensing wheelbases, and forcing compatibility via wheelbase instead of via the wheel like XBOX. Might be why Sim racing on PS is so far behind PC.

Last edited:
Sony shouldn't be such idiots about peripheral support, like forcing Fanatec to sell wheel bases with a wheel instead of just the wheelbase, and adding such a high cost for licensing wheelbases, and forcing compatibility via wheelbase instead of via the wheel like XBOX. Might be why Sim racing on PS is so far behind PC.
I don't know why Sony forces Fanatec to sell the wheelbase with a wheel but at a guess I'd think it was to stop them from selling a PS supported product with an XBox branded wheel on it. What people choose to do after their initial purchase is up to them.... as it should be.

As for ''adding such a high cost for licensing wheelbases'', is that really a thing? From what I see the PS Thrustmaster and Logitech wheel and pedal sets are nearly identical prices to the XBox ones. If it's different for Fanatec, then that's on them (possibly like their overly expensive CSL DD upgrade powerpack :odd:).

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/collectio...inct]=true&sortBy=shopify_products_price_desc

1.png

2.png

3.png

And why wouldn't they want the chip in the base? That's the part that connects to the PS base via the usb port, the same port that cheats use to access the PS, so that's the bit they need to have in it in. Why Microsoft does it the other way round is a mystery to me.

Blame Sony all you want though, but IMO it was still the cheats that caused this chip saga in the first place.

I don't know why Sony forces Fanatec to sell the wheelbase with a wheel but at a guess I'd think it was to stop them from selling a PS supported product with an XBox branded wheel on it. What people choose to do after their initial purchase is up to them.... as it should be.

As for ''adding such a high cost for licensing wheelbases'', is that really a thing? From what I see the PS Thrustmaster and Logitech wheel and pedal sets are nearly identical prices to the XBox ones. If it's different for Fanatec, then that's on them (possibly like their overly expensive CSL DD upgrade powerpack :odd:).

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/collections/racing-wheels?refinementList[facets.Brand][0]=THRUSTMASTER&page=1&configure[clickAnalytics]=true&configure[filters]="category_hierarchy":"Racing wheels" AND (price > 0 AND product_published = 1 AND availability.displayProduct = 1)&configure[query]=&configure[hitsPerPage]=36&configure[distinct]=true&sortBy=shopify_products_price_desc

View attachment 1017182
View attachment 1017183
View attachment 1017184

And why wouldn't they want the chip in the base? That's the part that connects to the PS base via the usb port, the same port that cheats use to access the PS, so that's the bit they need to have in it in. Why Microsoft does it the other way round is a mystery to me.

Blame Sony all you want though, but IMO it was still the cheats that caused this chip saga in the first place.

Do you work for Sony?

Sony forcing Fanatec to sell a wheel with the base just screws over existing Fanatec customers who are looking to upgrade and already have wheels.

The $100AUD for the PS chip in the wheelbase stops Fanatec from offering more PS compatible wheelbases like the CSW. If the chip was in the wheel Fanatec and TM could offer1 wheel in each price range then customers could choose the wheel for there needs.

And are seriously using JB Hifi prices as a comparison?

Do you work for Sony?

Sony forcing Fanatec to sell a wheel with the base just screws over existing Fanatec customers who are looking to upgrade and already have wheels.

The $100AUD for the PS chip in the wheelbase stops Fanatec from offering more PS compatible wheelbases like the CSW. If the chip was in the wheel Fanatec and TM could offer1 wheel in each price range then customers could choose the wheel for there needs.

And are seriously using JB Hifi prices as a comparison?
Haha, no I don't. But I know when something is fishy and this big fee Sony is supposedly charging is very fishy. It seems to be something only Fanatec owners bring up to bash Sony for this so called $100 bump in price of PS4 wheel/base combos, but this doesn't seem to be the case for other brands. Do you have a source for this $100 price tag of the Sony chip.

Regarding JB Hifi: How are their prices not valid? Is it because they show exact same prices for Logitech and Thrustmaster for both PlayStation and XBox compatible wheel sets?

But okay here's some more from Pagnian

5.png

4.png

And some from Thrustmaster UK
6.png

7.png

Well **** me... they're the same too.

And how are officially licensed products with a $100 chip in them sold so cheap. Hori being one brand in particular.
11.png

I get that people want to use their old stuff but similar happened with Microsoft and XBox. They just both went about it in different ways. My old T500 is no longer compatible but you don't see me getting all bent out of shape about it. Cheats forced both companies to want chips put into anything that connects to their consoles, soooo, blame the cheats 💡

Haha, no I don't. But I know when something is fishy and this big fee Sony is supposedly charging is very fishy. It seems to be something only Fanatec owners bring up to bash Sony for this so called $100 bump in price of PS4 wheel/base combos, but this doesn't seem to be the case for other brands. Do you have a source for this $100 price tag of the Sony chip.

Regarding JB Hifi: How are their prices not valid? Is it because they show exact same prices for Logitech and Thrustmaster for both PlayStation and XBox compatible wheel sets?

But okay here's some more from Pagnian

View attachment 1017189
View attachment 1017191

And some from Thrustmaster UK
View attachment 1017192
View attachment 1017193

Well **** me... they're the same too.

And how are officially licensed products with a $100 chip in them sold so cheap. Hori being one brand in particular.
View attachment 1017198

I get that people want to use their old stuff but similar happened with Microsoft and XBox. They just both went about it in different ways. My old T500 is no longer compatible but you don't see me getting all bent out of shape about it. Cheats forced both companies to want chips put into anything that connects to their consoles, soooo, blame the cheats 💡

PS compatible peripherals genuinely require a chip in them to work, the DriveHub can't work without a genuine licensed controller plugged in to provide the authentication, and it only works for Logitech, ThrustMaster and Fanatec wheelbases (and 1 MS wheel for Xbox 360), these companies all sell similar PS and Xbox wheelbases that the DriveHub can emulate on the console the wheelbase it isn't compatible with otherwise it wouldn't work, yes it does add some extra accessories like pedals but they are very simple devices that just send basic position signals.

You're comparing PS licensed wheel bundles to Xbox licensed wheel bundles, both incurring a licence cost, whats your point, Xbox charge the same as Sony?

The $100AUD cost for the PS chip was based on the CSL Elite wheel bases as you can see below, also as you will see below the cost for console licensing is difficult to pin point and varies, the PS DD1 looks to be much higher.

As TM only sell one true PC only base, the TS-PC, and it only seems to come with a wheel that isn't bundled or available to bundle with the TS-XW (PC/XBox) there is no real way to compare them, and the closest PS base is the T-GT, and that comes with a very different wheel and other features. And there is no point trying to compare the T300/TX series bases as they are both licensed for consoles. And both Logitech versions are also licensed for consoles so no way to compare them either, that leaves Fanatec.

Fanatec CSL Elite - the PS4 version was $599.90, $100 AUD more than non PS4 version at $499.90, when they were both available.
New Fanatec CS Universal Hub V2 - Xbox version $40 more than non Xbox version.
The DD1 is a stretch but if you subtract the cost of the recent CS Limited Ed F1 Wheel 2021 ($629.90) from the Podium Racing Wheel F1 ($2799.90) the Std DD1 ($1899.90) is $270.10 less expensive, or if you use the new CS Formula V2.5 wheel ($559.90), subtract the CS paddles (-$169.90) and add the podium paddles (+$299.90) totaling $689.9, then subtract that from the Podium Racing Wheel F1 the Std DD1 is $210.10 cheaper.

My point remains that the licensing, PS or Xbox, costs the 3rd party peripheral makers more than a PC version that doesn't require it. I am sure that cost varies depending on R&D, device cost, profit margins and many other things, and cheating may be part of it as well, but it still costs more, most people would probably be more accepting of the extra cost if Sony didn't force 3rd parties like Fanatec to sell the wheelbase with a wheel, I know that after several years the PS4 CSL Elite could be purchased on it's own, but you could not at release, and I don't believe the T-GT can be purchased as a servo base only either but the T300 can now. Also don't forget that the licensing is most likely a very good income for the console makers.

Buying the Podium Racing Wheel F1 is a perfect example of why it isn't just about cheating, and how customers are getting screwed over. Any customer that already has Fanatec wheels, or new customers that don't want the bundled F1 style wheel, are forced to buy the bundle with F1 wheel in order to get the official PS DD1 wheelbase, which is $900AUD more than the standard DD1.

I hope the delay on the PS CSL DD, or at least a major part of it, is Fanatec trying to negotiate with Sony so they can sell the wheelbase on it's own this time.

Last edited:
PS compatible peripherals genuinely require a chip in them to work, the DriveHub can't work without a genuine licensed controller plugged in to provide the authentication, and it only works for Logitech, ThrustMaster and Fanatec wheelbases (and 1 MS wheel for Xbox 360), these companies all sell similar PS and Xbox wheelbases that the DriveHub can emulate on the console the wheelbase it isn't compatible with otherwise it wouldn't work, yes it does add some extra accessories like pedals but they are very simple devices that just send basic position signals.

You're comparing PS licensed wheel bundles to Xbox licensed wheel bundles, both incurring a licence cost, whats your point, Xbox charge the same as Sony?
My point all along is that the chips are there to try to stop people from cheating by limiting what can be plugged (and recognized) into the usb ports on their respective consoles. You chose to bring in this ''The $100AUD for the PS chip in the wheelbase stops Fanatec from offering more PS compatible wheelbases like the CSW'' so I refuted that point by showing that there's no difference in the cost between some wheel manufacturers and that if Fanatec was different then that was on them, as was not bringing out a CSW with a chip in it.

The $100AUD cost for the PS chip was based on the CSL Elite wheel bases as you can see below, also as you will see below the cost for console licensing is difficult to pin point and varies, the PS DD1 looks to be much higher.
As mentioned... on them.[/QUOTE]

As TM only sell one true PC only base, the TS-PC, and it only seems to come with a wheel that isn't bundled or available to bundle with the TS-XW (PC/XBox) there is no real way to compare them, and the closest PS base is the T-GT, and that comes with a very different wheel and other features. And there is no point trying to compare the T300/TX series bases as they are both licensed for consoles. And both Logitech versions are also licensed for consoles so no way to compare them either, that leaves Fanatec.
Comparing two bundles that are virtually the same but for opposing manufacturers is not a way to compare? That's exactly how you do compare!

As I mentioned both companies went about the same issue in two different ways so yes, there's chips for both, and yes they cost money, but you specifically mentioned this elusive $100 Sony chip.

CSL Elite - the PS4 version was $599.90, $100 AUD more than non PS4 version at $499.90, when they were both available.
Couldn't possibly be Fanatec milking PS owners could it?
New Fanatec CS Universal Hub V2 - Xbox version $40 more than non Xbox version.
The DD1 is a stretch but if you subtract the cost of the recent CS Limited Ed F1 Wheel 2021 ($629.90) from the Podium Racing Wheel F1 ($2799.90) the Std DD1 ($1899.90) is $270.10 less expensive, or if you use the new CS Formula V2.5 wheel ($559.90), subtract the CS paddles (-$169.90) and add the podium paddles (+$299.90) totaling $689.9, then subtract that from the Podium Racing Wheel F1 the Std DD1 is $210.10 cheaper.
F1 branding could easily account for the $100 difference I see between the two similar bundles. (Podium Racing Wheel F1® & Podium Racing Wheel Formula for Xbox One &)

Edit: Also just noticed that the second bundle has a $100 off so they're pretty well the same price.
12.png

My point remains that the licensing, PS or Xbox, costs the 3rd party peripheral makers more than a PC version that doesn't require it.
No, your original point was closer to Sony = bad/idiots

I am sure that cost varies depending on R&D, device cost, profit margins and many other things, and cheating may be part of it as well, but it still costs more, most people would probably be more accepting of the extra cost if Sony didn't force 3rd parties like Fanatec to sell the wheelbase with a wheel, I know that after several years the PS4 CSL Elite could be purchased on it's own, but you could not at release, and I don't believe the T-GT can be purchased as a servo base only either but the T300 can now. Also don't forget that the licensing is most likely a very good income for the console makers.
I would tend to agree that licensing is on a sliding scale, but as far as I know the chips are there to try to stop unauthorized equipment being plugged into the usb ports and used for cheating. The licensing to use with the console is what would bring in the $$$'s.

Buying the Podium Racing Wheel F1 is a perfect example of why it isn't just about cheating, and how customers are getting screwed over. Any customer that already has Fanatec wheels, or new customers that don't want the bundled F1 style wheel, are forced to buy the bundle with F1 wheel in order to get the official PS DD1 wheelbase, which is $900AUD more than the standard DD1.
Could have something to do with the F1 deal too couldn't it? And like I mentioned earlier ''at a guess I'd think it was to stop them from selling a PS supported product with an XBox branded wheel on it.'' Fanatec are the only ones that know the real reason and anything we come up with is just guess work. I don't think Fanatec would be too worried about your hard earned dollars being spent on an extra wheel either though. It's still an extra sale to them in the end.

I also seem to remember back at the start of this chip saga Fanatec were rumoured to bring out a cross console compatible wheel package. If that was true and it had the XBox branded wheel on it, then you can't really blame Sony for not wanting to go along with it, especially if the XBox logo was going to be more dominant.
I hope the delay on the PS CSL DD, or at least a major part of it, is Fanatec trying to negotiate with Sony so they can sell the wheelbase on it's own this time.
I'd like to see this too, but I somehow doubt it will happen. I'd also like to see this with the other brands as well.

This is what I've been referring to with the Cronus device. Hopefully one day they'll be able to disable it and I hope it doesn't come at a cost to us the end users of racing peripherals, but I have a feeling it will.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I couldn't finish your post, there is no point continuing this discussion, sorry I can't help you. Good luck in the future.

I'm sorry I couldn't finish your post, there is no point continuing this discussion, sorry I can't help you. Good luck in the future.
I presume this was directed at me so thanks for the well wishes, but I don't need any help :) .

Comparing two bundles that are virtually the same but for opposing manufacturers is not a way to compare? That's exactly how you do compare!

As I mentioned both companies went about the same issue in two different ways so yes, there's chips for both, and yes they cost money, but you specifically mentioned this elusive $100 Sony chip.

If I remember correctly when I bought my CSL Elite PS4 bundle several years ago it was about $100 more than the comparable Xbox bundle which for all intents and purposes was the same except for the button caps on the wheel appearance wise. Pretty sure the $100 figure is correct but it was more expensive than the Xbox bundle.

Granted the X box chip is in the wheel and the PS chip is in the wheelbase.

I do also agree that Sony is to demanding on what they require, there is no reason the chip could not be like the xbox and in the wheel to not make it so difficult or even expensive to take an existing system and make it PS compatible.

Also when Sony switched from the PS2 to the 3 (or was it the 3 to the 4) perfectly working wheel systems on the previous generation Playstation had to be replaced as they would not work on the new generation.
I actually still have that perfectly good system still packed away in its original box.
That in my opinion was nothing more than a cash grab by Sony to collect more licensing fees as all PS players had to replace their rigs for no reason other than Sony collecting more cash or that is the way it appears.

I am another that has bought my last Sony compatible wheelbase when I bought my CSL Elite unit.
I swore then no more, I do have a CSL DD preordered and I could care less about it being Sony compatible.
My PS4 has not been powered on in probably a year.

If I remember correctly when I bought my CSL Elite PS4 bundle several years ago it was about $100 more than the comparable Xbox bundle which for all intents and purposes was the same except for the button caps on the wheel appearance wise. Pretty sure the $100 figure is correct but it was more expensive than the Xbox bundle.

Granted the X box chip is in the wheel and the PS chip is in the wheelbase.
I remember this as well but that wheel combination was the only real outlier I've been able to find. the G29 was also a bit more expensive than it's G27 predecessor but it was also a bit different and produced a few years later so it's hard to compare.

Current pricing doesn't support the pricing of this $100 Sony chip. As I mentioned, the money, imo, would come from licensing more so than the chip itself.

Take a look at this. T300 base with chip vs Tx base without chip. http://www.thrustmaster.com/products

2.png

I do also agree that Sony is to demanding on what they require, there is no reason the chip could not be like the xbox and in the wheel to not make it so difficult or even expensive to take an existing system and make it PS compatible.

Also when Sony switched from the PS2 to the 3 (or was it the 3 to the 4) perfectly working wheel systems on the previous generation Playstation had to be replaced as they would not work on the new generation.
I actually still have that perfectly good system still packed away in its original box.
That in my opinion was nothing more than a cash grab by Sony to collect more licensing fees as all PS players had to replace their rigs for no reason other than Sony collecting more cash or that is the way it appears.
It was 3 to 4, and I've already addressed this, but I'll also add that if it's a cash grab from Sony then it's also a cash grab from Microsoft, possibly even more so by the latter with having to pay for the chip with every different wheel purchased for that system.

There was also Microsoft requiring a new wheel per console generation if I remember correctly before the chip saga began. So this has been far from just a Sony/Fanatec issue and it's been happening for a lot longer than just the chip era with Microsoft.

TM and Logitech have also both been affected. It just seems like some Fanatec owners have the biggest axe to grind.
I am another that has bought my last Sony compatible wheelbase when I bought my CSL Elite unit.
I swore then no more, I do have a CSL DD preordered and I could care less about it being Sony compatible.
My PS4 has not been powered on in probably a year.
Good for you... I guess. Your money, your choice.

I don't know if you guys remember the cheating in racing games that went on before the advent of these security chips but I certainly do. Every TT and a lot of lobbies were infested by cheats. It was deplorable online. Life online now is far, far better with the chip. This cheating still remains in shooting games via CronusMax and as I've also mentioned, I'm not sure this is the last security change we'll see. :indiff: This, and the fact that Drivehub also uses the same method as Cronus does to bypass the chip was my whole point. Until the $100 chip was brought up by someone else . I've shown many times that this difference in pricing just doesn't seem to stack up... and it has nothing to do with my original point in the first place :indiff:

Current pricing doesn't support the pricing of this $100 Sony chip. As I mentioned, the money, imo, would come from licensing more so than the chip itself.
Overall the security chip does not bother me that much but it is Sony requiring the chip to be in the wheelbase rather than the wheel itself, makes it impossible to reasonably adapt a current rig to be Sony Compatible plus limits in the Fanatec line anyway which wheelbase can be used. You can only buy the one Podium DD2/w the high dollar F1 wheel but could not buy a PS chip based DD1 wheelbase and pair it with the much less expensive McLaren GT wheel for instance.

Also I like flight games and check out the pitiful small list of flight HOTAS controls that are PS compatible. Now that is a real joke!

the cheating in racing games that went on before the advent of these security chips but I certainly do. Every TT and a lot of lobbies were infested by cheats. It was deplorable online. Life online now is far, far better with the chip.

I do not really remember but my question is why would you not have the same issue on the PC side of things as the perephials used are not requiring security chips and in online applications there are not having cheating problems in the sim racing scene?
This is why I feel it is more a cash grab from the controller manufacturers for the licensing fees and the manufacturer is passing that cost on to the customer.

Also again just wild speculation but Sony may be charging Fanatec a higher per unit licensing fee since they are a smaller company and only sell mid range and higher gear which will result in a much smaller overall sales volume than a company like Logitech or TM. Again just speculation.

Last edited:
Overall the security chip does not bother me that much but it is Sony requiring the chip to be in the wheelbase rather than the wheel itself, makes it impossible to reasonably adapt a current rig to be Sony Compatible plus limits in the Fanatec line anyway which wheelbase can be used. You can only buy the one Podium DD2/w the high dollar F1 wheel but could not buy a PS chip based DD1 wheelbase and pair it with the much less expensive McLaren GT wheel for instance.

Also I like flight games and check out the pitiful small list of flight HOTAS controls that are PS compatible. Now that is a real joke!
It only makes certain current rigs incompatible and we have no way of knowing who is limiting the DD2's or the other high end wheels. Is it a Fanatec self imposed limit or is it a Sony limit? My hunch is that the high end gear is so niche that the console market just doesn't interest the PC master race suppliers :sly:. That high dollar F1 rim could have been Fanatec's choice too knowing full well people are going to fork out for another wheel. We just have no idea whose decision it was to pair that particular wheel with the PS base.

I do not really remember but my question is why would you not have the same issue on the PC side of things as the perephials used are not requiring security chips and in online applications there are not having cheating problems in the sim racing scene?
This is why I feel it is more a cash grab from the controller manufacturers for the licensing fees and the manufacturer is passing that cost on to the customer.
They do have problems on PC... sometimes worse. I don't know much about the PC scene but with a quick search I found several games having issues (PUGB, GTA being the two that jumped out). I think the aimbots are better and more prevalent in shooters than the ones I gave examples of previously too.

''Anti-cheat software provider BattleEye said it banned more than one million players from the PC version of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds in January.''

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/578080/view/4325087404615777214

iRacing has also had it's cheats but it's very rare due to the amount people stand to lose if caught and it being more difficult to just start another profile. https://simrace247.com/2020/10/07/iracing-grip-cheat-exposed/

And then there's these:

Also again just wild speculation but Sony may be charging Fanatec a higher per unit licensing fee since they are a smaller company and only sell mid range and higher gear which will result in a much smaller overall sales volume than a company like Logitech or TM. Again just speculation.
They could very well be but that wasn't my issue and that should still lean towards the same result just on a slightly adjusted scale. I also had a quick look at Fanatec's XBox range of wheels and non XBox range and couldn't see a difference in price there. I could be missing something but does that point to Microsoft receiving no fees? I wouldn't think so, but who knows.

Prices between TM's non chipped bases vs chipped bases suggests there's no real difference between a chipped or not base and the $100 chip was my sticking point. It also held true for pretty well everything else bar the CSL Elite and I have no idea why.

Edit: One last thing, why some people, and it is only a minuscule portion of people, think a big corporation like Sony would deliberately go out of their way to screw such a small percentage of their market (we're talking a niche genre with a niche peripheral) out of a measly $100 is beyond me. But hey, people a free to think what they want.

Last edited:
Edit: One last thing, why some people, and it is only a minuscule portion of people, think a big corporation like Sony would deliberately go out of their way to screw such a small percentage of their market (we're talking a niche genre with a niche peripheral) out of a measly $100 is beyond me. But hey, people a free to think what they want.
Actually it could be more that they are able to strike a more lucrative deal which results in a better money return for Sony with the larger corporations like say Thrust Master and Logitech by guaranteeing them a better licensing rate on a per unit basis which makes the competition for the sales more difficult and forces higher prices for the smaller manufacturers possibly even keeping them out of the market altogether.

Again speculation or just another "could be" as we have no idea what actually takes place behind closed doors when these deals are made. When it comes to the money though satisfying or giving a competitive edge to a much larger potential income source to perhaps get a few more percent of that contract makes more sense than going after the little guy just for the sake of making them the target.

I also had a quick look at Fanatec's XBox range of wheels and non XBox range and couldn't see a difference in price there. I could be missing something but does that point to Microsoft receiving no fees? I wouldn't think so, but who knows.
Again raises the question again why would Fanatec shoot themselves in the foot price wise on just Sony products and not Microsoft as well if it were just Fanatec trying to make a little extra profit? Really makes no sense on that front to single out Sony if that was what it was about.

It only makes certain current rigs incompatible and we have no way of knowing who is limiting the DD2's or the other high end wheels. Is it a Fanatec self imposed limit or is it a Sony limit?
I have read somewhere a couple of years ago that Sony is very controlling and specifies exactly what can be sold to be compatible with the PS. Even if you notice on the DD1/f1 wheel compatible unit it is a wheel that has no other application or available any other way from Fanatec.
Actually give me one really decent reason that Fanatec would make the decision to incur a limited sale use product for only this one application when they could just make an already in inventory F1wheel part of the bundle and not have to change and stock another part.
Also the price difference between this bundle for the Sony compatible version and the xbox compatible version is $150 with the only apparent difference is the Sony chip and the colors on the wheel.

Also I read again some time back Sony required all Wheelsets to be sold as a complete unit including the wheel. Hence perhaps why Fanatec has never offered the Sony wheelbase units for sale separately to my knowledge. Again if this was untrue why would Fanatec limit their customers choices for Sony products only but no other platforms?

That high dollar F1 rim could have been Fanatec's choice too knowing full well people are going to fork out for another wheel. We just have no idea whose decision it was to pair that particular wheel with the PS base.
Again what responses I listed above should suffice. I cannot see Fanatec possibly limiting the potential sale of a DD1 Sony compatible wheelbase by dictating it had to be purchased with this one specific wheel but yet not have those same restrictions in place for their non Sony compatible units, again looking across their product range would not make sense they do a cash grab just on the Sony units but not the other units.

Like I said I took myself out of the needing to comply to those demands regardless of the reasons behind them.
And we all have our ideas and beliefs behind the reasoning, myself I tend to lean more towards it is Sony behind the issue as I really cannot see a smaller company like Fanatec only singling out Sony to go for a cash grab if the licensing cost and the ability to make their own choices about the products they offer is the same as say xbox where the choices include pretty much everything and every option in their complete product lineup being available for that platform.

And again how many customers would have Fanatec possibly gained by having a Sony compatible DD1 available that could paired with a McLaren GTwheel priced at $1499 instead of $1799 like for the only actual available option? And yes that includes adding $100 Sony tax price premium on the Wheelbase.

I know there was a point I was looking hard at that upgrade and really do not care for the small size of the F1 wheel and overall do think certain wheels are overpriced in general this being one of those and could not justify that price point for me,

But if I could at the time bought a Sony Compatible DD1 unit with the McLaren wheel for the $1499 price I would probably have pulled the trigger and bought it. For many customers a reduction of $300 in the price while only losing say 5-10% of the wheels features would have changed the perceived value for the money spent from the do not buy to the buy category.

I feel pretty sure and confident that Fanatec is not keeping Sony compatible bundles limited in choice and higher on price which they know will cost them sales. Just makes no sense for them to do such from a business or sales standpoint at all.

But again at the end of the day this is just my opinion on the subject.

Last edited:
Actually it could be more that they are able to strike a more lucrative deal which results in a better money return for Sony with the larger corporations like say Thrust Master and Logitech by guaranteeing them a better licensing rate on a per unit basis which makes the competition for the sales more difficult and forces higher prices for the smaller manufacturers possibly even keeping them out of the market altogether.

Again speculation or just another "could be" as we have no idea what actually takes place behind closed doors when these deals are made. When it comes to the money though satisfying or giving a competitive edge to a much larger potential income source to perhaps get a few more percent of that contract makes more sense than going after the little guy just for the sake of making them the target.

Again raises the question again why would Fanatec shoot themselves in the foot price wise on just Sony products and not Microsoft as well if it were just Fanatec trying to make a little extra profit? Really makes no sense on that front to single out Sony if that was what it was about.

I have read somewhere a couple of years ago that Sony is very controlling and specifies exactly what can be sold to be compatible with the PS. Even if you notice on the DD1/f1 wheel compatible unit it is a wheel that has no other application or available any other way from Fanatec.
Actually give me one really decent reason that Fanatec would make the decision to incur a limited sale use product for only this one application when they could just make an already in inventory F1wheel part of the bundle and not have to change and stock another part.
Also the price difference between this bundle for the Sony compatible version and the xbox compatible version is $150 with the only apparent difference is the Sony chip and the colors on the wheel.

Also I read again some time back Sony required all Wheelsets to be sold as a complete unit including the wheel. Hence perhaps why Fanatec has never offered the Sony wheelbase units for sale separately to my knowledge. Again if this was untrue why would Fanatec limit their customers choices for Sony products only but no other platforms?

Again what responses I listed above should suffice. I cannot see Fanatec possibly limiting the potential sale of a DD1 Sony compatible wheelbase by dictating it had to be purchased with this one specific wheel but yet not have those same restrictions in place for their non Sony compatible units, again looking across their product range would not make sense they do a cash grab just on the Sony units but not the other units.

Like I said I took myself out of the needing to comply to those demands regardless of the reasons behind them.
And we all have our ideas and beliefs behind the reasoning, myself I tend to lean more towards it is Sony behind the issue as I really cannot see a smaller company like Fanatec only singling out Sony to go for a cash grab if the licensing cost and the ability to make their own choices about the products they offer is the same as say xbox where the choices include pretty much everything and every option in their complete product lineup being available for that platform.

And again how many customers would have Fanatec possibly gained by having a Sony compatible DD1 available that could paired with a McLaren GTwheel priced at $1499 instead of $1799 like for the only actual available option? And yes that includes adding $100 Sony tax price premium on the Wheelbase.

I know there was a point I was looking hard at that upgrade and really do not care for the small size of the F1 wheel and overall do think certain wheels are overpriced in general this being one of those and could not justify that price point for me,

But if I could at the time bought a Sony Compatible DD1 unit with the McLaren wheel for the $1499 price I would probably have pulled the trigger and bought it. For many customers a reduction of $300 in the price while only losing say 5-10% of the wheels features would have changed the perceived value for the money spent from the do not buy to the buy category.

I feel pretty sure and confident that Fanatec is not keeping Sony compatible bundles limited in choice and higher on price which they know will cost them sales. Just makes no sense for them to do such from a business or sales standpoint at all.

But again at the end of the day this is just my opinion on the subject.
I've already been through most of this several times now and there's one of your main points I agree on, we don't know.

I've pointed out many things that show otherwise but there is no way to convince people who won't look at things from all sides. I don't have a dog in the race so I don't care.

I've showed the two comparable bundled wheelbases from Fanatec with a $100 difference with difference being the bundling discount, but that turns into ''it should be available with the cheaper McLaren wheel''. I have no idea why other wheels aren't available, and like you I've heard Sony are very controlling and I've also heard they dictate that the base be sold with a wheel but I've been over that before and given a plausible (to me) reason for it. As with most of what we're saying, it's all speculation.

Again for attention (from the Australian site) https://fanatec.com/au-en/racing-wh...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

12.png

22.png

Why is that discount not offered for the PS bundle? I have no idea, do you? It's the only difference in price over here.

It always comes back to the CSL Elite sets seem to be the outlier, and we have no idea on the rest of this discussion as its mostly speculation. But none of this was my original point. Here it is...
Sony mightn't have to keep changing things if people weren't trying to use external devices (CronusMAX) to cheat in some games, so the blame should be more on their shoulders.
I don't know why you guys keep think my point has anything to do with Fanatec (or Logitech & TM). I just pointed out what seems to be a very clear anomaly in reply to something that was said to me, and it's something that you & @Goonie75 just seem to ignore for what ever reason, no matter how many examples I show. In fact my point had nothing to do with wheels at all, it's to do with cheating and I used CronusMax just as an example. I suppose you don't remember turbo buttons on aftermarket controllers either? Wheels are only a tiny part of the peripheral market after all.

Last edited:
I've pointed out many things that show otherwise but there is no way to convince people who won't look at things from all sides. I don't have a dog in the race so I don't care.
What do you mean cannot convince others who do not look at things from all sides?
It is more like you refuse to consider Sony has not possibly entered into deals or contracts with larger companies that that monetarily penalize the smaller companies such as Fanatec to competing to sell their products to operate on the PS platform.

Multiple examples have been shown that indicate across Fanatecs product listings that the only great differences in pricing and in optional product offering are ONLY APPLIED when it comes to Playstation compatible products.

This alone indicates to me that such discrepancies are not a result in Fanatecs business model or limiting product choices for a single platform as they would generally apply such actions on all platforms and all products not just single out Sony.

You continually keep referring to the same rhetoric that shows similar pricing for Thrustmaster products across multiple platforms and out of the opposite side of your mouth you say you "I have no idea why" a similar type of pricing discount is not available when comparing the price differences on multiple similar packages for Fanatec for different platform packages.

And I may not currently have a dog in this race but I do still care because such actions do affect the gaming industry and such issues could in the future be even more restrictive and further reaching which is not in gamers best interest in most cases.

I don't know why you guys keep think my point has anything to do with Fanatec (or Logitech & TM). I just pointed out what seems to be a very clear anomaly in reply to something that was said to me, and it's something that you & @Goonie75 just seem to ignore for what ever reason, no matter how many examples I show. In fact my point had nothing to do with wheels at all, it's to do with cheating and I used CronusMax just as an example. I suppose you don't remember turbo buttons on aftermarket controllers either? Wheels are only a tiny part of the peripheral market after all

Again you you are not open minded in your determination just from the point there are devices in use such as drive hub that are commonly used to make the Playstation believe that a different wheel (controller) is connected and can be used which defeats the security chip from blocking access to the platform from non chipped devices.

This alone indicates to a degree the security chip is more about preventing a device that has not paid the Sony tax in the form of the licensing fee from operating on its platform than it shows the chip is preventing unauthorized devices from cheating as just bypassing the chip and unauthorized access is one of the biggest hurdles and first step to using a device for intentions it was not supposed to be used for.

So please instead of saying other people will not look at things from all sides please look in the mirror and see you are the one that will not it seems account for the possibility whole issue could actually just be a result of Sony trying to extract the most money possible out of their deals and contracts which the end result is favoring the larger manufacturers and is limiting the customers choices and pricing from certain manufacturers.

I am open minded enough to realize that Sony just like any major corporation is not my best friend and looking out for my best interest is not their main priority at the end of the day.

So many take this position when they try to "defend" their favorite brands and again this is evident in the Nvidia vs AMD and/or the Intel vs AMD arguments as well. All of these corporations are only interested in their bottom line and if you fail to understand that first and foremost then you need to remove the blinders that are not allowing you to view the whole picture.

I am one that does not fall for or believe that Sony as their primary objective uses their security chip to protect me from online cheating in a game rather than what I feel is the more likely objective of making more money from licensing fees to make devices plug n play compatible with their platform.

And yes this is just my opinion but is one that allows me to realize that there is more than one possibility just by looking at ALL the facts to make what I think is a reasonable position to take concerning the issue.
Does not mean it is the only one but from my viewpoint your argument is not strong enough in its backing or presented evidence or reasoning to make me agree that the position you are assuming on the matter is more likely or correct.

Drive hub proves the work around to using "unauthorized" devices really is not that difficult to defeat the security chip requirement.

So again who is it not opening their mind to possible reasoning from all sides?
Take a look in the mirror, your arguments always take the position that Sony is always the good guy with finger pointing at a small company like Fanatec being the apparent villain!

Meanwhile, to the original question:

@CVpS5
any better response from CM support?

Last edited:
I would guess that since the software and tuning on the DD wheels is usually much more complex to get them tuned in to work right and most of the adapters are making the wheels imitate another wheelbase to bypass the chip and work the difference in adjustment perimeters are just to far apart for the imitated wheels software to work correctly with the DD wheelbase.

Again really no clue or fact to back up such a claim but very well could have merit. A higher power DD wheel set up wrong can actually hurt people and or break bones, could also fall back to risk of liability for personal injury.

Last edited:
What do you mean cannot convince others who do not look at things from all sides?
It is more like you refuse to consider Sony has not possibly entered into deals or contracts with larger companies that that monetarily penalize the smaller companies such as Fanatec to competing to sell their products to operate on the PS platform.

Multiple examples have been shown that indicate across Fanatecs product listings that the only great differences in pricing and in optional product offering are ONLY APPLIED when it comes to Playstation compatible products.

This alone indicates to me that such discrepancies are not a result in Fanatecs business model or limiting product choices for a single platform as they would generally apply such actions on all platforms and all products not just single out Sony.

You continually keep referring to the same rhetoric that shows similar pricing for Thrustmaster products across multiple platforms and out of the opposite side of your mouth you say you "I have no idea why" a similar type of pricing discount is not available when comparing the price differences on multiple similar packages for Fanatec for different platform packages.

And I may not currently have a dog in this race but I do still care because such actions do affect the gaming industry and such issues could in the future be even more restrictive and further reaching which is not in gamers best interest in most cases.

Again you you are not open minded in your determination just from the point there are devices in use such as drive hub that are commonly used to make the Playstation believe that a different wheel (controller) is connected and can be used which defeats the security chip from blocking access to the platform from non chipped devices.

This alone indicates to a degree the security chip is more about preventing a device that has not paid the Sony tax in the form of the licensing fee from operating on its platform than it shows the chip is preventing unauthorized devices from cheating as just bypassing the chip and unauthorized access is one of the biggest hurdles and first step to using a device for intentions it was not supposed to be used for.

So please instead of saying other people will not look at things from all sides please look in the mirror and see you are the one that will not it seems account for the possibility whole issue could actually just be a result of Sony trying to extract the most money possible out of their deals and contracts which the end result is favoring the larger manufacturers and is limiting the customers choices and pricing from certain manufacturers.

I am open minded enough to realize that Sony just like any major corporation is not my best friend and looking out for my best interest is not their main priority at the end of the day.

So many take this position when they try to "defend" their favorite brands and again this is evident in the Nvidia vs AMD and/or the Intel vs AMD arguments as well. All of these corporations are only interested in their bottom line and if you fail to understand that first and foremost then you need to remove the blinders that are not allowing you to view the whole picture.

I am one that does not fall for or believe that Sony as their primary objective uses their security chip to protect me from online cheating in a game rather than what I feel is the more likely objective of making more money from licensing fees to make devices plug n play compatible with their platform.

And yes this is just my opinion but is one that allows me to realize that there is more than one possibility just by looking at ALL the facts to make what I think is a reasonable position to take concerning the issue.
Does not mean it is the only one but from my viewpoint your argument is not strong enough in its backing or presented evidence or reasoning to make me agree that the position you are assuming on the matter is more likely or correct.

Drive hub proves the work around to using "unauthorized" devices really is not that difficult to defeat the security chip requirement.

So again who is it not opening their mind to possible reasoning from all sides?
Take a look in the mirror, your arguments always take the position that Sony is always the good guy with finger pointing at a small company like Fanatec being the apparent villain!
Options for Fanatec are limited yes (I also gave a plausible theory for this... more rims can be sold ;)) but nowhere have differences in pricing been shown to me on a like for like basis for Fanatec products... other than the CSL Elite (and that didn't even come with a source, but I also knew this so I let it slide). On the other hand I have shown what is very close to a like for like Fanatec comparison which shows no difference in pricing other than a $100 bundling discount. I've also shown not only TM but also Logitech, so I've covered all three major brands showing no discernible difference. @Goonie brought up this $100AUD chip and I've repeated multiple times that is the sticking point for me (this is the bit you guys ignore), and when I asked him for a source, something I have provided for all my posts, what do I get... ''crickets''. Well @Goonie, I'm still waiting.

Edit: I also agree that licensing fees are their to gain Sony revenue, Microsoft as well (odd that you never mention them :odd:), it supposed to also keeps unauthorized cheat devices out, but fails at this point in time (hence why I think this is not the last we'll here of this), but how many times do I have to repeat this, it's the mention of the $100 price tag on the chip that I questioned. I even stated that I thought the revenue came from licensing rather than the chip. I even gave the Hori pad as an example of how the chip itself doesn't line up with this $100 price tag for the chip.

As far as the Drivehub bypassing the chip, it was in my first post in this thread. here it is again...
The cheat device is also mentioned, and I even posted a video on it. It does work like the Drivehub does, but it can be loaded with scripts. Here it is again...

I've also said that I don't think this is the last we've heard of this security chip saga because of the way Cronus and Drivehub, Brook, and others bypass it. The PS5 seems to already be a bit better because Drivehub wasn't working on PS4 games until someone found the Hori pad workaround. I think PS5 only games could possibly be different but I haven't seen anything yet that's definitive either way.

And never have I pointed to Fanatec as being the villain, all I did was question some theories and give alternate possibilities in answer to them. I told you it's not about Fanatec (multiple times) and this is where you're reading me the wrong way. How many times do I have to repeat myself :rolleyes:. Your white knighting (edit: perhaps a bit harsh) is making it about Fanatec, not me.

Just as an FYI: I support Fanatec fully and praise everything they're doing to bring consoles wheels up to PC standard. I always recommend Fanatec gear before anything else... unless the person is looking in the low cost bracket, or has specifically mentioned a brand they want.

Edit 2: Why do you guys seem to think Sony singled out Fanatec?

@CVpS5
Apologies for all the OT stuff but I've seemingly been dragged down a rabbit hole.

In answer to your question, I don't know, they seem to have gone quiet on all fronts. I've been wondering if PS5 compatibility is being a royal pain in the you know where for them.

Last edited:

@CVpS5

This is the question I asked CM

‘When DH was released in 2017, your literature said that you support DD1 F1 - I.e the DD1 specifically licensed for the PlayStation. Is this still the case?’

And their answer

‘Thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately the DD1 Podium is not compatible with the Drive Hub. Sorry for the inconvenience.’

Short and Sweet !

Latest Posts

Back