The Apple Thread

• Thread starter Robin
  • 565 comments
The same group that will go on and on about samsungs exploding phones and fail to acknowledge apples exploding phones.

If the IP8 ends up having a battery issue apple wont recall and discontinue the phone like samsung did.

citation required

I don't understand all of the love for the iPhone X. Nearly all of those features are available on Samsung's Galaxy S8 for ~$250 less. Samsung also implemented many of these features on the Galaxy S6. And then Apple is charging nearly $1000 for the 256GB version. You could purchase the Samsung and buy a 256GB microSD card for it and likely save money. And you're not tethered to iTunes.

You could say the same thing about the Note 8. It costs $940, and the only bonuses you get over the S8/S8+ are the dual cameras and the S-Pen.

Is this happening on all the iPhones or just the iPhone 8?

Just the 8.

citation required

You think apple will recall all iphone 8s and discontinue the phone if it is a battery issue like samsung did?

They're too stuck up for that, they will most likely push out a software update that forces a 250mA trickle charge, current limiting and falsify the battery %.

You think apple will recall all iphone 8s and discontinue the phone if it is a battery issue like samsung did?

They're too stuck up for that, they will most likely push out a software update that forces a 250mA trickle charge, current limiting and falsify the battery %.

Apple deserve a lot more credit where it's due.

The 6s had an issue with certain models being manufactured in a certain timeframe having bad batteries, and Apple are still offering free battery replacements for the phones affected; considering the 6s was released in 2015, that's pretty good.

And the Android equivalent is even more expensive:
https://store.google.com/product/moshi_usb_c_headphone_adapter_charger

And now that Google's flagship has also courageously dropped the headphone jack:

£9 from Apple for Lightning -> 3.5mm:
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MMX62ZM/A/lightning-to-35mm-headphone-jack-adapter?fnode=97&fs=f=adapter&fh=458e%2B45b0

£20 (!) for a USB-C -> 3.5mm :lol::
https://store.google.com/product/usb_c_headphone_adapter

Don’t worry, we’ll soon hear that it was a good idea that Google removed the headphone jack.

Apple deserve a lot more credit where it's due.

The 6s had an issue with certain models being manufactured in a certain timeframe having bad batteries, and Apple are still offering free battery replacements for the phones affected; considering the 6s was released in 2015, that's pretty good.

Then there is the touch disease, apple doesn't want to acknowledge it as a design fault.

Google does a lot of things.
Their excuse for not having an SD card slot is it will slow down the phone.

I don't need speed when it comes to my music

True, but someone will inevitably start kicking up a fuss when their cheapo microSD starts dropping frames (or refusing to work at all) when they're recording 4k60 or 2k120 videos to it.

True, but someone will inevitably start kicking up a fuss when their cheapo microSD starts dropping frames (or refusing to work at all) when they're recording 4k60 or 2k120 videos to it.

Google can put one of those disclaimers on that says we recommend this type of SD card.

I really hope all Android phones don't eventually follow suit with the lack of an SD card slot or headphone jack. Bluetooth quality is poor and Sony LDAC is the only thing that comes close but is still quite poor.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't announced it isn't making the iPods anymore. It has been a few years since Apple has updated the iPod Touch. It basically does nothing that the iPhone doesn't already do. Except that it has the headphone jack. Also, the lack of a microSD slot really irritates me. Apple's software can read FAT32 file format. Why is it that any other mobile device can read a microSD card formatted FAT32, but Apple doesn't want to put it on theirs? Well I guess I'm gonna go give money to Samsung once my phone contract is up.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't announced it isn't making the iPods anymore. It has been a few years since Apple has updated the iPod Touch.

I think it had been stated by Apple a number of times that hardware developed with apps and music streaming in mind would ultimately phase out the portable music market, rendering the notion of "owning" music obsolete. The fact that there was no update to the Nano for a good 5 years should have been an indicator as to where the company was going: the introduction and subsequent popularity of the original iPhone in 2007 only helped to confirm the strategy.

Still have a 5th gen. Nano that's used on a weekly basis. Works as well as the day I bought it. 👍

I think it had been stated by Apple a number of times that hardware developed with apps and music streaming in mind would ultimately phase out the portable music market, rendering the notion of "owning" music obsolete. The fact that there was no update to the Nano for a good 5 years should have been an indicator as to where the company was going: the introduction and subsequent popularity of the original iPhone in 2007 only helped to confirm the strategy.

Still have a 5th gen. Nano that's used on a weekly basis. Works as well as the day I bought it. 👍

Fiio X1 for me.

Can't believe the iPhone X sales are going nuts, it's an average high end phone with nothing groundbreaking and the price is crazy but yet again they have proven they can sell anything. Apple's value has hit $890 Billion!

I'm surprised Apple hasn't announced it isn't making the iPods anymore.

I think it's a shame that they discontinued all the iPods apart from the Touch and haven't even at least given it an update. Sony are still ploughing ahead with dedicated music players.

iPhone 8 looks alright, but the iPhone X looks top notch. :cheers:

fa6a0197f2595071eb8cb7b46109629227a8b3a3f3a4c260d370b254377abb5f.jpg

That notch on the top is ugly. I think the regular iPhone looks better.

I agree, the notch is one of the worst things about it. So lazy of them to not have thought of a better way of doing it like Xiaomi did. The 8 looks a lot more attractive in its design.

I agree, the notch is one of the worst things about it. So lazy of them to not have thought of a better way of doing it like Xiaomi did. The 8 looks a lot more attractive in its design.

I agreed before I got my X, but I actually think it helps make iOS far more usable and powerful, in portrait mode. In landscape it's a mess and Apple need to pull their finger out and give us a reason for the notch to be there (I can think of lots of ways they could make it useful).

Going from a 6 to the X is a large change, but the biggest change is how you use iOS, the X makes iOS the easiest and quickest phone OS to get around I've ever used

Crapple admits they slow down old iphones
Something that we all knew about for a long time.
https://www.vox.com/2017/12/22/16807056/apple-slow-iphone-batteries

I think it's atrocious they have been doing this. Everyone pretty much knew this was going on when suspiciously older iPad's and iPhones would slow over time, especially with new iOS updates despite the hardware being more than capable. Apple didn't want to hear about their reputation for poor battery capacity... again, stretching back over a decade, so they just slowed the hardware! :lol:

Apparently there are class actions lawsuits galore being planned.

Apparently there are class actions lawsuits galore being planned.

Not surprising at all.

Chances are the repercussions, if any do follow, could prove significant for Apple in the face of their "admission".

Last edited:
They may add a little option in settings somewhere that has full performance or battery life.
With the default being battery life but when you select full performance it gives you a warning

Yeah it's likely they will add a setting... or they could, I dunno, just let the users REPLACE THE BATTERY!

Apple popularised the whole concept of non replaceable batteries and sealed devices. In many cases there is no reason why it has to be that way.

It quite amusing they say the iphone's have been slowed down to stop the phones from just stopping etc.

My partner has my old iPhone 5 and in the last 6 months not only has it slowed to a crawl but has also just decided ot stop working and turn itself off even when there should be a full charge. We asked at the Apple store a few weeks ago and the girl looked sheepish and said my partner would be better off with a new phone.

I've now ordered a new battery and kit to fix it for less than what Apple are charging at the new slashed price.

Personally Apply should charge the cost of the battery (obviously at a small profit maybe £10.00 and forgo the service cost because Apple decided to make a very hard to service item.

Back