Are you intimidated by Sport Mode? I prefer to play "offline".

I tried Sport mode once when I got a free 2 week trial to PS Plus and it wasn't for me. I did race some lobby races and had a better time but I like to play by myself against AI. Not really an intimidation thing just never liked playing games online. Also it bugs me you can't talk to other players in the lobby or sport mode with the microphone. I already maxed out the 20,000,000 racing AI so if PD keeps adding things to GT League, it'll be just fine with me.

Kind of, yes. Mostly for the following reasons:

- I recognize that I am bad at this game
- I hate when I ruin someone else's race by mistake
- I don't have fun playing after realizing the above points

Hence why I play Sport mode very rarely. Sadly, Sport mode is required for the Platinum trophy, so I'll have to somehow play it, little by little. I try to stick to the one-make most of the time.

I tried Sport mode once when I got a free 2 week trial to PS Plus and it wasn't for me. I did race some lobby races and had a better time but I like to play by myself against AI. Not really an intimidation thing just never liked playing games online. Also it bugs me you can't talk to other players in the lobby or sport mode with the microphone. I already maxed out the 20,000,000 racing AI so if PD keeps adding things to GT League, it'll be just fine with me.

Custom race should litteraly keep you occupied forever .
PD Just needs to add more options .

I have had the game since day 1 and have yet to play in sports mode. I am taking meds that cause me to have a really slow reaction time. I am enjoying playing with the AI and the Custom Races are the most fun for me. I am like a couple others, I would not want to be responsible for causing others problems in races. I am very happy right where I am.

Custom race should litteraly keep you occupied forever .
PD Just needs to add more options .
YES! I Just got the game and I just asked if only Gr.4 sedans can race in Custom Race. I'm having good fun with the AI. I did set a qualifying lap in Sport, but I then have to wait 30 minutes. I'll probably get there when I know the tracks better.

I like sport mode, I find it challenging and sometimes fun. I would definitely have at least 3 races on sport mode every day if I had ps+

It's fun to race with friends and turning boost on and playing with different tires can make it competitive for all levels. But sport mode is definitely the competitive area of the game. People get so wrapped up in their ranks and it just doesn't matter.

This is a great question by the original poster because up until yesterday that is the way I felt, fearful to go online and mix it up with the real talented drivers.

I wasn't scared of losing. I was scared of making mistakes that cause others to get mad. A few guys on these forums have encouraged me to try online and I finally did and I have to say I am completely addicted

I was certain I would never do anything but custom races and the GT League Within game, offline.

Now, I find myself wanting to play in the sports mode daily races after my experiences today. The more I ran the track the better I got, although I was never good enough to finish in the top 10.

My favorite feature is that when the lead cars lap you you can't hit them and they can't hit you because you become a ghost to them. That made me more comfortable because it meant I couldn't negatively affect their racing.

My only issue, and it's probably more of a question, is that the instructions as you enter online tell you that you are paired with drivers of your same skill but I didn't find that to be the case because I was clearly the least skilled driver in all my groups

Intimidated isn't the word I'd use, it's more that I don't have the instinct to try so hard to get a good finish. I know I'm average at best and I'm playing with a dualshock controller so it's not like I can compete with the guys who have race wheel setups. I want to race and have fun but I don't want to screw up the race for the others around me so I find myself braking sooner so I don't get close to the guy in front of me. I move over for the people behind me. I'm too considerate I think lol The penalty system really makes me wary of getting close to anyone because if I bump someone I feel really terrible and I'll always pull over to let them pass me. I couldn't care less about my driver ranking but as you can see from some of the posts around here some people are pretty wrapped up in the whole ranking system.

I used to jump into a few sport mode races every day but I've not touched it in a while now and I'm just not feeling the urge to go back to it any time soon. GTS is in a weird spot for me now. Today I spent an hour making a new livery and about 10 minutes racing before I turned the game off :lol:

Sport mode is why I bought the game. Playing against AI this day and age does nothing for me. I want to test myself against someone who is actually racing me. A heated battle that lasts lap after lap between two even matched drivers is extremely satisfying. I can understand nerves, I've blown my share of races while in the lead. Don't let intimidation stop you. You start low in Sport and work your way up. Try to be clean rather than fast and you will rise quickly. Then practice...a lot.

I liked the circuit experience and missions but doing the campaign races is a chore for me. GT League is the same as every other GT game. Chase the rabbit and don't crash. No actual racing because the AI is slow and stupid. It was acceptable in earlier games but not today. I need to race people.

I bought the game when it came out and played with the ds4 and told myself this won't work. Bought a wheel and now race seat and haven't looked back.
The sport mode races were super sketchy for me at first, sweat like a pig, heart about to beat out my chest. Have I jacked up some driver's races? Absolutely. What I started doing was looking at the dailies then doing time trials by myself trying to get reasonably quicker though nothing can prepare you for real people driving.
It gets better, still get the occasional soaked shirt though:)
Just got to DR-A tonight too. Have had SR-S for a while.

I have only had 7 wins. I haven't been online in about a week. Its either dirty or very competitive and I end up in the middle of the pack.

Okay, blah, blah, blah. I checked the Brands Hatch race, 3 minutes before it began, I jumped in. Started 7th place, which was surprising. Finished 3rd. :crazy: Saved the video clip, but don't know where to send it to to share on here.

Loving Custom Races and Time Trials mostly though I have had around 50 Sport Mode races. The online is very well implemented in GTS and I do enjoy it and I have not played online in racing games before because I hated it with a passion. I’m a pretty average skilled racer though!

I bought the game when it came out and played with the ds4 and told myself this won't work. Bought a wheel and now race seat and haven't looked back.
The sport mode races were super sketchy for me at first, sweat like a pig, heart about to beat out my chest. Have I jacked up some driver's races? Absolutely. What I started doing was looking at the dailies then doing time trials by myself trying to get reasonably quicker though nothing can prepare you for real people driving.
It gets better, still get the occasional soaked shirt though:)
Just got to DR-A tonight too. Have had SR-S for a while.
I'm still at the early stage you just described, always worrying I'll mess things up, getting nervous whenever I'm in a decent position on the final laps, and also intimidated and kinda discouraged by the fact that I'm playing with the DS4. I'm just a DR C / SR S so I should be paired with mostly noobs, but there is always at least one or two DR A in the field. I need a wheel (and the time to play regularly) badly xD

I'm playing with the DS4. I'm just a DR C / SR S so I should be paired with mostly noobs

That sounds like me :lol::lol:, I am not much further then you are, DR B / SR S, also with the DS4

My only issue, and it's probably more of a question, is that the instructions as you enter online tell you that you are paired with drivers of your same skill but I didn't find that to be the case because I was clearly the least skilled driver in all my groups

That sometimes happens that you are paired with a group with drivers in the same DR/SR class, but who are just faster at a specific track / car combo. Practise is key there.

Maybe just a thought, how about a lobby race for a few of us, with the same setup as a daily race? You wouldn't have to worry about the dr/sr thing, and just get used to racing other people to get the comfort zone working, and have fun offcourse:gtpflag:.

@GT5 Level 41 great question.
Intimidated... well, sort of.
It's definitely a much higher pressure knowing that you may accidentally ruin another "real life persons" race through a mistake of your own.
If you are competitive, even just a little, there is also more pressure to perform, knowing that you are testing yourself, again, against real life people.
I am glad for campaign mode to have some neat races to make money... need that Jag XJ13 :).
The custom races can be fun, and made to have good payouts.
And, the pressure of racing online probably isn't for everyone.

For me, it's thrilling, but, I have to be in the right frame of mind, or, mood if you will, to race online. Additionally, it has to be the right track(s)/car class combo to entice me to join in. More often than not, when I get home from work, I've had my share of pressure and stress for one day. Then often times when I do feel like going online, I look at the daily track selection and think... mmm, no thanks, that's a receipt for frustration.

I've only got 49, or, maybe it's 50 races online, and, while a few have been frustrating, by in large I've had very positive experience.

I'm guessing a lot of members here (I'm probably guilty of it myself), with their negative rants regarding "other racers" (dirty/stupid etc) or, their focus regarding the prestige of their Dr/Sr add to the intimidation.

I was reluctant to try online racing in the beginning too.
What changed my mindset about racing online... unlike most games, it's not about wining.
It's about racing.
Once I realized how much fun could be had simply racing, clean and fair, and stopped worrying about winning, the online part became a whole new dimension. With that mindset I've only ruined 1 other persons race... checked mirror in a bad spot, missed my brake point, rammed another car off track so hard I think he hyperspaced to Jupiter. And yes, other people make mistakes too, and I've been wrecked (sometimes I've been wrecked on purpose by other players... people... what-do-you-do?) but again, if you go in with the mindset, hey, stuff happens, just get back on track, and again try and do your best... you may find it fun (in an intimidating and high pressure kind a way :) ) as well.

So, sport mode may not be for everyone, but, don't let it intimidate you.

I enjoy both sides of the game... offline and online... for different reasons.

The important thing is to not "big-up" the Sport mode as an intimidating, monstrous part of the game. It's just another section of gameplay where, like @cleanLX says, stuff happens. You do get less skilled drivers and pure idiots causing carnage and bringing down your Driver and Sportsmanship ratings, but that doesn't reflect your true driving skill. Sport mode racing is more about being as careful as possible than pure winning. The more consistent you are in being careful, the more your Sportsmanship rating will go up, which should put you in safer sessions to aim for a higher Driver rating.

To sum it up, all you need is experience. Go out there, expect the carnage, try to avoid it as much as possible and don't worry about winning just yet. :cheers:

I don't usually have that much time to play, and I get the impression that some players have been playing the daily races for hours (based on their times - maybe it is their skill). So, I hop on every now and then if the car/track/timing combo appeals to me - but I don't expect to win. I'm an SR-S, but my DR has taken a hit, being courteous and patient takes time. Mostly, I find I "self challenge" by using lower class cars in League races

I'm guessing a lot of members here (I'm probably guilty of it myself), with their negative rants regarding "other racers" (dirty/stupid etc) or, their focus regarding the prestige of their Dr/Sr add to the intimidation.
Yup, it does. I myself don't care a bit about my DR/SR, but I know many people do, and with the penalty system still being quite faulted, I don't really want to have other people's records ruined by bad driving on my part :nervous:

That's unfortunate... sorry... I've probably not helped in that department.
Go in and do your best, do some quality practice to know where your breaking points and turn-in points are (and stick to them, often you see people going wayyy deep and think you should too... only to see that person miss the corner or create havoc, if you know your spots and keep to them, you'll not be "that guy") treat the other racers the way you would want to be treated, and let the chips fall where they may.
If you are doing your best to be clean and fair, then, that's all you can do...
Most of the guys in here doing the complaining (myself included) recognize the difference between a mistake vs over-driving vs intent...
Mistakes happen... over-driving is frustrating... intent, well... people.

You paid for the game, no reason to be intimidated if you are doing your best... and, if you make a mistake, just remember that even the best do too.

I wouldn't say intimidated so much, but I do enjoy it less as the increased pressure of inevitably cocking up someone elses race far outweighs the enjoyment.

This is my thought process... I'd class myself as a very clean racer... in theory, but in practice, I spend most of my time alone, on a track, just racing against the clock... so to be honest, I'm simply not that good when there are other cars around me. Last thing I want to do is ruin someone elses race, and the last thing the world needs is yet another rage-quit thread being created by somebody who feels they got intentionally rammed! Since I recognise that, 99 times out of 100 I will back out of any on track situation - making me a total pushover to race against. Now this doesn't bother me that much, as I'm not a competitive person to be honest.. but the fact is, Sport mode is a drawn out process with very few options, I'm unlikely to get any payback from it since I'm not bothered about the result, and the the results are unlikely to come anyway -- there really is no incentive for me to get better at it, to be honest. I recognise that there is an increased sense of excitement when racing against people, rather than AI, but the amount of BS involved in doing so too high.

I'll stick to time-trialling against my own PB's for now.

I used to love it but within the last four races I got put in last place by rammers once and then glitch got me stuck in the pits.

It's hard to go back to it knowing something beyond my control could wipe weeks of hard work.

These random stats are one (of several) reasons I stay offline. In 109 races, this particular user had two instances (yes 2), of consecutive accident free races. The mode isn’t worth the pain and aggravation.

A4438D1B-A0B1-41FB-ADD2-30C7CD73BB89.jpeg

Last edited:
Back