Argh IB-8 test is too hard!

• Thread starter Resident0
  • 8 comments
I've been trying to get Silver on the IB-8 test and it's practically impossible!

I've tried and tried, but the car just loses control after about 3 turns!:crazy:

Refresh my long-abused memory...isn't that the Viper flying thru the corkscrew? This one took me quite a few tries...but it helped that I've been driving Vipers since the first game and I know how they behave. Just remember to START braking long before you get to the top of the hill (watch the demo to see where).

If you're using analog, you'll only need partial brakes. The whole key to the corkscrew itself is you need to SLOW DOWN. You don't wanna be going faster than 53 mph or whatever the demo shows (I forget). Turn left...no gas...let the Viper coast down the hill. Turn right..and when you give it gas, keep it steady. Don't fishtail...any fishtailing and that means no silver.

I can do the rest of the test with no brakes...or perhaps just a tap on the brakes. You need to be on the right-hand side of the track as you're going down the hill. Start cuttin left where the demo does and work your way over towards the left of the track. Zoom towards the finish.

Last edited:
the first time I took this test...no less than 6 times was my viper in the air and at the bottom of the corkscrew, really GT2 was my first encounter with the GT series and this was my first encounter with a flying car ;)

scoobyonline200
the first time I took this test...no less than 6 times was my viper in the air and at the bottom of the corkscrew, really GT2 was my first encounter with the GT series and this was my first encounter with a flying car ;)

Cars catch air more in GT2 than in any other Gran Turismo, don't they? (not sure about GT4 yet)

To wit:

Seattle--not just the "staircase", but also there's a small jump as you're going down the backstretch towards the superdome building. They got rid of this in GT3 for some reason.

Laguna corkscrew...catching air here means you've lost control either purposely or non-purposely (for most, it's not on purpose!)

Trail Mountain--rolling down the backstretch in any car over 100 mph with no downforce, you'll catch air. This magnifies as you go faster. Also, there's that hill after the first tunnel. Again in GT3 you can't even catch air down the hill! WTF? Those are the official catch-air spots. Unofficially, there's turns 1 and 2 (you have to drive across the grass at high speed) as well as the final turn...if you drive over this curb, you can catch air before the spectator stands, which looks great in replays.

Grand Valley--turn 3 at teh top of the hill...again you have to drive across the grass a bit to maximize your flying...again this cannot be done in GT3 unless you're really cruising., and even then it seems lame.

Rome--turns 1 and 11...drive across the red & white curbs at just the right angle and you can fly here...altho landing without smacking the opposite wall is tricky. This can be done in GT3, but it's easier in GT2.

Midfield reversed--major air can be caught at the end of the straight! Again, it's crucial you land correctly or you'll lose control into the tunnel.

There's more but I'm forgetting them now.

Last edited:
You can put two wheels on the right-side of the second part of the Corkscrew, and get away with it. My advice is to also use a taller gear (like 3rd) when going down the 'Screw, since you'll have more traction; using 2nd gear will cause excessive wheelspin.

Pupik
You can put two wheels on the right-side of the second part of the Corkscrew, and get away with it. My advice is to also use a taller gear (like 3rd) when going down the 'Screw, since you'll have more traction; using 2nd gear will cause excessive wheelspin.

I have a feeling Resident 0 is long gone. Did he read our advice? Did he take our advice? Did it help him? We'll never know...

He's talking about the S2000:

"This is a fast slalom (long interval). The key is to keep the car steady and keep up your average speed by avoiding too mucho swerving that occurs when not accelerating. Finely coordinate acceleration and steering, and use acceleration to steady the car."

That's one hell of a test.
I will told you what to do next.
Look man, if you wanna get the silver
find the way to get your car out of the ?-ver.

I'm almost 100 % sure you aren't letting go the accelerator on the turns, right?
See the "demo" or try to understand what you are reading dude.
You will see that is not as hard as it looks like.

In the NTSC version, IB-8 is not the slalom. What version do you have TDrift? Anyways, it makes no difference: "Resident 0" never returned to post in this thread...it's kind of a waste to drag it up, actually.

Back