Assetto Corsa 2 Will be Called "Assetto Corsa Evo", Coming 2024

I would also expect to see modding available in AC2, however I suspect it will be heavily locked down to approved and verified content, something like the Steam Workshop with only scratch made or authorised conversion mods that can also be released on consoles as well. Basically I expect it to be limited to Racedepartment type content only and I'll be massively surprised if they don't do everything in their power to make it impossible to port over cars and tracks from other games.

I guess we'll see in time, not that I particularly care, I've sunk so much time into modding AC1 that unless there's a button to import all AC1 cars/tracks into AC2 then it's completely uninteresting to me. My only real hope is that they don't release AC1 updates to break CM and CSP in an attempt to force people onto the new game, something I can see happening if AC2 is released in the state of most modern titles (i.e. a barely beta tested broken mess of bugs and unfinished content with lots of promised updates and DLC).
I agree too that it will and for the most part should be a careful exercise to allow outside content into a new released title. I'm not sure how good it would be to have the sheer amount of "garbage" content muddying up their pristine new baby. I mean people are making good products these days but you know what I mean. As fun as T-Rex's are or shopping carts or nude guys riding a bar bell, really don't know if that's the visuals they want. lol
I see no reason that they'd break AC1. It's what has made them who and what they are today. That would cause an irreversible rift that there just isn't any logical reason for.

Last edited:
I agree too that it will and for the most part should be a careful exercise to allow outside content into a new released title. I'm not sure how good it would be to have the sheer amount of "garbage" content muddying up their pristine new baby. I mean people are making good products these days but you know what I mean. As fun as T-Rex's are or shopping carts or nude guys riding a bar bell, really don't know if that's the visuals they want. lol
I see no reason that they'd bream AC1. It's what has made them who and what they are today. That would cause an irreversible rift that there just isn't any logical reason for.
I think they will be less bothered by the dinosaur's and more the rfactor 2 tracks, ACC content, Forza content etc etc.
No way will it be anywhere close to the open nature of AC.
For me it'll be AC way beyond 2024. I have no big hopes for AC2, but then I spend silly amounts of my spare time doing stupid stuff and not racing much.

Look how many of us use AC, fiddling with trees and shades of grass, making photo studios, making camera sets, skins etc etc.
I learnt how to convert stuff, make tracks, add all sorts of stuff into it.

As if AC2 is going to give me any of that.
If AMS2 can't, or ACC, then sadly nothing will.
I am so beyond just wanting a driving or race game. AC ruined me.
I'm bored in all other racing games within 30mins.

If I recall correctly, over 50% of people at Race Department stated they used VR in a recent poll, hence the other reason Kunos want to return to their own proprietary engine. The performance and visuals in ACC using the Unreal Engine 4 are still terrible.

With GT7 and PSVR2 releasing, good out the box VR performance is now a necessity for any new race sim (take note Forza).

Will AC2 lock down 3rd party mods? Who knows?

The fact is the amount of content for AC means that unless AC2 somehow incorporates this (unlikely) its already gonna have long term problems.

Kunos should of utilised the skills of Ilja and Peter and made some sort of mid-life official patch for Assetto with QoL things like Safety Cars, Crowd flash photography, ranked multiplayer, setup sharing etc etc

Maybe a few additional official licensed cars and tracks for a new race series or two. LMH properly done maybe etc etc.

They could of sold each pack and I would of happily paid for that.

If the new game comes out, unless its something out of this world most people will play for a few weeks/months, rinse all the content and then drift back to everything that's on AC. Even worse, if its possible to port any new content from AC2 to AC, that longevity may disappear even faster.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, over 50% of people at Race Department stated they used VR in a recent poll, hence the other reason Kunos want to return to their own proprietary engine. The performance and visuals in ACC using the Unreal Engine 4 is still terrible.

With GT7 and PSVR2 releasing, good out the box VR performance is now a necessity for any new race sim (take note Forza).

Will AC2 lock down 3rd party mods? Who knows?

The fact is the amount of content for AC means that unless AC2 somehow incorporates this (unlikely) its already gonna have long term problems.

Kunos should of utilised the skills of Ilja and Peter and made some sort of mid-life official patch for Assetto with QoL things like Safety Cars, Crowd flash photography, ranked multiplayer, setup sharing etc etc

Maybe a few additional official licensed cars and tracks for a new race series or two. LMH properly done maybe etc etc.

They could of sold each pack and I would of happily paid for that.

If the new game comes out, unless its something out of this world most people will play for a few weeks/months, rinse all the content and then drift back to everything that's on AC. Even worse if its possible to port any new content from AC2 to AC, that longevity may disappear even faster.
Another theoretically simple thing that was not thought of at the time when Assetto Corsa was launched.

Just citing the example of 2 simulators that made their mark (GTR2 and the Grand Prix series).

• launch launch or stop (GTR 2) - save a race in (intermediate time), at the time I did 6h races (playing a little per day) (GTR 2)
  • weather change (although nowadays we have "patches for weather changes"), which is already standard in most simulators.
  • and finally, a question that they never asked in any game (except the Grand Prix series by Geoff Crammond and some rally simulators), "hot seat" mod...in the case of traditional races, being able to play on the same "computer" in driving shifts, together with friends and being able to watch others racing for a brief period of time. In rally games, ending this mode is a long time ago.

An advantage of this mode in "playing alone" is being able to drive in the same race or rally (more than 1 car). It was really fun.

I think if there is mods support its going to be big like the first game, it wont be as good on console, pc is where is at, i never liked the first ac on console, but its masterpiece on pc

Hopefully it won't be long enough for a console version of the game. I remember it took up to 2016 for a console version of the original Assetto Corsa, but man, I really loved its gameplay, especially with the custom championship mode where you can hand-pick your opponents' cars and rename them.

Imagine AC2 content ported to AC, and AC still gets more play (Steam stats) than its younger sibling.

Seems legit
Yep I'd say a more likely scenario is them killing off AC, at least least killing off the modding side of it.

Talk of getting Peter and Ilija involved, well they aren't going to pay them 20k or 16k a month each are they? To do what i imagine most of their guys can do already.

Unless they did a deal where they stop doing what they do, they remove patreons and kunos devise a code to break all the add ons.
Then maybe pay them same as the rest of the guys.

Its all speculation, i will buy it as i buy every 'sim', but it won't replace AC just yet.

I think they will be less bothered by the dinosaur's and more the rfactor 2 tracks, ACC content, Forza content etc etc.
No way will it be anywhere close to the open nature of AC.
For me it'll be AC way beyond 2024. I have no big hopes for AC2, but then I spend silly amounts of my spare time doing stupid stuff and not racing much.

Look how many of us use AC, fiddling with trees and shades of grass, making photo studios, making camera sets, skins etc etc.
I learnt how to convert stuff, make tracks, add all sorts of stuff into it.

As if AC2 is going to give me any of that.
If AMS2 can't, or ACC, then sadly nothing will.
I am so beyond just wanting a driving or race game. AC ruined me.
I'm bored in all other racing games within 30mins.

I can see a way where they use Steam Workshop for mods, which would allow them to police it. Not sure how this works for consoles but I assume they have their own method. The Warhammer Total War game has a workshop that is policed and anything from a different IP (like if someone tried to add Lord of the Rings content) gets removed pretty quickly.

It certainly won't be a completely open platform like AC but I don't think they can ignore third party content completely; they'll be fully aware it's part of their USP for the brand.

I wonder what engine it’ll be using. That’ll give us big clues as to its mod ability.
They have confirmed last year that they will move away from UE4 and build a new in-house engine

However, it will not be using the latest Unreal Engine 5, with Kunos reverting to type with something custom for the project.

“We are developing new technology for the [Assetto Corsa 2] engine. We will not use Unreal because we need greater flexibility,” highlighted Massarutto.

“Unreal Engine is a terrific technology and I think that games like Ride 4, Moto GP or Assetto Corsa Competizione have proven to be great games. But the way we are used to working… We like to think of ourselves as a technology provider and not just a gaming developer.

“We like to work even more on our technology because this allows us to create the specific tools and features that we need for a racing simulation.

“We are very happy about what we did with Competizione and Epic Games. But now we are developing new technology in order to fit better with our needs.”

Having the baseline code and physics in place are key fundamentals to a successful game, but it also sounds rather time intensive.

The same game + CSP with added options like rolling starts and a proper AI that actually knows how to race, and I'm in for life :D

My deepest dreams are about a Sophy-like deeplearning AI working on AC, for us peasants without the time or decent connection to consistently run online leagues...

The same game + CSP with added options like rolling starts and a proper AI that actually knows how to race, and I'm in for life...
You forgot "... a button to convert all our collections of cars and tracks from AC1 to AC2 automatically..." and "... the possibility that modders continue making mods the same way as before..." Buuuut... no caerá esa breva... 😢

My vote/hope is that they incorporate loose surface physics and the accompanying graphics to go with it. They can just have 2 rally cars (there I said it) and leave the rest up to the community to figure out.

IMG_4056.jpeg

Without reading too much I to it I think this could be a sign that it might go down soon.

Back