Assetto Corsa Competizione: First Console Gameplay Videos

Be interesting to know what models of PS4 PRO you all have. I have three new 7216b model which has a faster internal hard drive. I’ve not experienced any significant frame drops so far. I have an external 1tb HD too so may copy the game over to that and see if there’s any difference. Just as a test that may help some of you.

Make sure super sampling is turned off and at the time of playing (unbeknownst to me) my boost mode was turned off. I will try later with it on and see if there’s any difference. Will also try with it set to 1080p in the PS4 menu settings as opposed to automatic. There are lots of variables here in the game’s current state it seems. I’ve had no input lag with wheel either btw.

Bottom line is, a locked 30fps needs to be their target in future patches.

mine too is a 7216b which i bought a couple of months ago but i changed out the HDD for a SSD.

I would echo the sentiments made about input lag and the general lack of optimization. I understand that we are unlikely to see a boost in frames (PS4 Pro user here) but the game feels like a PC port without much console optimization. Perhaps this will come in patches?

With regard to game sales, if this game sells poorly, the publisher and developer would only have themselves to blame. They seem removed from the console player base and, in my view, reinforce the PC master race stereotype. Rightly or wrongly, the game launch was a bit of a mess due to their lack of engagement.

The ball is in their court.

Completely agree, but even on PC its niche, Steam is averaging 4000 users a month - I don't know if thats distinct users or logins, either way its small.

I actually wonder if Kunos want to do console at all, it could be that it was part of the publishing deal with 505 that console versions would be made, hence d3t got involved, who by the way did a port of Mafia 2 and that hasn't gone well either.

I do not accept the "what you expect from old hardware" comment. Other games look better, don't stutter and some run higher fps to boot. The next excuse is "oh but ACC has the best physics and it has to run that" - right, but thats CPU, not GPU and anyway, do we have any evidnece that ACC's model is more expensive to run than any other game? The elephant in the room is the use of Unreal engine.

Having had a look around at what the PC guys are doing I'm not convinced that even with next gen hardware this will run at 4k60 on consoles, at least not without a lot of work - maybe the new version of Unreal would help, even if it does Kunos may need assistance from Epic to make this really work. All of which is time effort and money in to a niche game that may or may not sell well.

I do not accept the "what you expect from old hardware" comment. Other games look better, don't stutter and some run higher fps to boot. The next excuse is "oh but ACC has the best physics and it has to run that" - right, but thats CPU, not GPU and anyway, do we have any evidnece that ACC's model is more expensive to run than any other game? The elephant in the room is the use of Unreal engine.
There's no elephant. They have said themselves that they are not happy with the performance of the UE4 engine. It was inevitable that that poor performance would translate to consoles.

So they knew console was going to suck, but pushed it out anyway.... they could have waited and put it on next gen.

And its not going to get any better, unless Unreal 5 has a big turnaround in performance and they upgrade it or they junk Unreal entirely and move on.

At this point the game is a bit of a dead duck then. Assuming they exist, the marvellous physics everyone talks about are hidden behind poor FFB/controller implementation, there's a few hundred people with the game on launch day, its graphically poor to the point that no-ones going to sit and do races that are hours long because its uncomfortable to view and its likely they can't do much about it.

So they knew console was going to suck, but pushed it out anyway.... they could have waited and put it on next gen.

And its not going to get any better, unless Unreal 5 has a big turnaround in performance and they upgrade it or they junk Unreal entirely and move on.

At this point the game is a bit of a dead duck then. Assuming they exist, the marvellous physics everyone talks about are hidden behind poor FFB/controller implementation, there's a few hundred people with the game on launch day, its graphically poor to the point that no-ones going to sit and do races that are hours long because its uncomfortable to view and its likely they can't do much about it.

The reasons for going for a current gen release are beyond obvious.

I played it for a couple of hours and after 5 mins of FFB tweaking it felt good and I really enjoyed hot lapping and starting the career mode. Its not a full price game. I dont know why anyone would expect it to look anywhere near as good as the PC. It looks ok and 30fps isnt hard to adjust to.

Im just pleased to have a slice of ACC action on my 7 year old machine.

Last edited:

Yeah it sounds like they essentially were willing to compromise anything to have the game be essentially the same as PC. He mentioned how dynamic shadows are heavy on the hardware, etc.

I personally would’ve sacrificed dynamic weather and time of day if it meant the framerate could be higher. Fixed conditions don’t bother me one bit. The FFB isn’t bad, but I think AC is a little more communicative, but will keep messing with the settings.

I don’t think we’ll get really any sort of an improvement on this gen of consoles (assuming the wheel detection issues will be fixed). Hopefully they are considering next gen, or at least unlock the framerate on next gen consoles if there isn’t a native version.

This is a very good example of what my complaint is with the graphics in this game. Make sure you are in full screen mode and just watch the grandstand in front and to left from 2:00-2:10. It does not flow and is very jerky and actually makes me feel nauseous.

That's a clear example of the stuttering issues. It's not only jarring visually, it also affects the responsiveness/smoothness of the game while you are driving and that's what's worrying because the whole experience is less optimal than it could be with a locked/stable frame rate.

The problem is not the 30 FPS by themselves, it's the pace at which they are displayed on screen. It's not regular/consistent and leads to unpredictable reactions when the console can't keep up. Solid/stable frame rates makes the game look more fluid (despite still running at 30 fps) and predicable.

Last edited:
This is a very good example of what my complaint is with the graphics in this game. Make sure you are in full screen mode and just watch the grandstand in front and to left from 2:00-2:10. It does not flow and is very jerky and actually makes me feel nauseous.
It's that bad in the game? Ugh!

I guess its easy to spot while not driving.
Ran here for about 40 mins last night and did not notice, the 4 or 5 beers might of helped but I don’t notice the trees and stands when racing.

I know my PS4 broadcast in 720p, do you think its that?

The reasons for going for a current gen release are beyond obvious.

Of course they are, so the good guys Kunos decided to release a sub standard game for £££
Not exactly doing their reputation much good is it.

I played it for a couple of hours and after 5 mins of FFB tweaking it felt good and I really enjoyed hot lapping and starting the career mode.

Thats great for you, meantime others have non functional wheels, crashes, poor FFB and so on.

Its not a full price game. I dont why anyone would expect it to look anywhere near as good as the PC. It looks ok and 30fps isnt hard to adjust to.

So because its not a £50 game its ok for them to do a bad job ?

No-one expected it to look like PC, find me a single quote of anyone who did.
30fps is distracting, there is no way around that and its even made one guy who posts here nauseous - so actually it can be difficult to adjust to.

Who is buying these games for sightseeing? I understand sometimes when I first get a new game I might sit back and take in the view but after many many hours of racing I don't notice anything beyond the track itself. It's just brake points, turn in pionts, and accelerating points. of course memorizing bumps, dips, rises. This game looks bad. No doubt but the driving more than makes up for it.

Be interesting to know what models of PS4 PRO you all have. I have the new 7216b model which has a faster internal hard drive. I’ve not experienced any significant frame drops so far. I have an external 1tb HD too so may copy the game over to that and see if there’s any difference. Just as a test that may help some of you.

Make sure super sampling is turned off and at the time of playing (unbeknownst to me) my boost mode was turned off. I will try later with it on and see if there’s any difference. Will also try with it set to 1080p in the PS4 menu settings as opposed to automatic. There are lots of variables here in the game’s current state it seems. I’ve had no input lag with wheel either btw.

Bottom line is, a locked 30fps needs to be their target in future patches.

I have a hybrid drive (ssd/hdd) as well in my base PS4 and i dont really have any issues with frame rate or stuttering. Maybe the occasional one but its far and few between.

This is the one i have

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200624-173125_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200624-173125_Chrome.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 14
I'm not surprised...

View attachment 934039

... and this is why I take many of these types of reviews with a grain of salt.
Good find. This is why I said what I said earlier.

I will always watch the videos because my own eyes will not lie to me. At the same time I'm extremely leery of what the host is saying and always wondering in the back of my mind WHY he's saying it.

Now we have an answer to that

My disc copy just arrived out here in the bush finally on the delivery truck. I haven't installed it yet but just thought I'd mention that the DLC card for the intercontinental GT pack came inside the box. No email or anything like this

I have a hybrid drive (ssd/hdd) as well in my base PS4 and i dont really have any issues with frame rate or stuttering. Maybe the occasional one but its far and few between.

This is the one i have

That's the same drive I have in mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've just had a go after seeing this post and this is worse than I'm getting , and I was purposely looking for it.
In on Ps4 Pro with a Sony 4k TV running in game mode digital download and it doesn't look as bad as this. If I switch my TV to standard it does.

Race 07 was a Sim that got released on Xbox 360( Race Pro). Also had frame rate issues which Simbin never fixed.

Also a lot of PC users had issues with frames in this title. Kunos didn’t ever really fix them either.
Most ended up upgrading to better hardware.
I remember that game,I use to play it,here it is,real first Sim on the Xbox 360

I spent many hours on ACC on basic PS4. And for now I can tell. This is the best sim i played in my entire life. I love it. I even tried to compare it to PCars 2 (Brands Hatch and Ferrari 488 GT3) and i can't drive in PCars 2 after several hours in ACC. The physics are so good in this sim. I just hope for PS5 release. Because there are a lot of technical problems etc. Nothing game breaking in my opinion but I will pay again even more for full version for PS5 this is how good this sim is.

And after PCars 3 going more "arcadey" route. I am looking forward for Kunos future. I hope they will deliver more of their work for consoles.

I spent many hours on ACC on basic PS4. And for now I can tell. This is the best sim i played in my entire life. I love it. I even tried to compare it to PCars 2 (Brands Hatch and Ferrari 488 GT3) and i can't drive in PCars 2 after several hours in ACC. The physics are so good in this sim. I just hope for PS5 release. Because there are a lot of technical problems etc. Nothing game breaking in my opinion but I will pay again even more for full version for PS5 this is how good this sim is.

And after PCars 3 going more "arcadey" route. I am looking forward for Kunos future. I hope they will deliver more of their work for consoles.
Lets just hope they won't end up as sellouts and ruin it :D

Back