Assetto Corsa Competizione Review: Laser-Focused Yet Fun Sim Racing

Awesome. I love the Blancpain racing series. I've played this game some on PC and did enjoy the game, however, I am primarily a PS4 racer so I'll pick this up when it inevitably comes to PS5.

And no, we don't need to have that debate again. :cool: I have zero doubts this game will eventually hit consoles for the same reasons AC did (even in stripped down form). The player base is far larger and there is a lot of money to be made from those platforms. That said, I'm totally cool with the devs focusing on PC and making the best possible version of this game for the most powerful systems available. The game is beautiful.

Yet another great racing game to add to the list of great choices available on a variety of platforms. It's a great time to be a sim racer.

I'd agree very good review.

I've been putting many hours in here, really enjoying the career.
Put all the cars through the paces and it seems the BMW is not only the fastest out of the hole, but also at the end of any given straight.
Aris confirms this at the official forum in the blog.

Best all rounder for me has been the Nissan, most fun to drive is the Jag.

This sim would be a solid 5 stars for me but I'm still having some performance issues, and the graphics while very good are blurry to my eye.
This seems implausible given we have not only a separate sharpness setting, but an advanced sharpen filter, resolution scale, material qualities with temporal upsampling which should increase the level of complexity and clean up the image.

Perhaps I'm just not used to UE4 games but I do miss the clean look of titles like Automoblista or iRacing.

The physics, FFB, and the way the cars handle is what keeps me coming back.

Any tips on how to make UE4 more clear visually are appreciated.

I'm running an i5-8400/2060 super on a 34" ultrawide at 1080p with mid to high settings getting 60-75fps.

Last edited:
I think this review is a bit harsh in some areas. Graphics only 3.5? If you have the right PC, this looks simply stunning. I agree that it lacks a bit of polish and it sure is demanding, but car and track details as well as the lighting is a big step above the mentioned Forza 7. It deserves a higher score. Same goes for the driving physics. Should be a 5/5 hands down. Never felt better physics in a sim.

That being said, i think its a must-have for anybody who is into GT3 racing. It is a very puristic experience, though. All about GT3 racing, nothing else. Its not as entertaining as Forza and it doesent have the online features of GTS or iRacing. Sure it doesent have the mods from AC or the huge content of PC2. But when it comes to pure GT3 racing, with the best graphics and sounds and physics, this is my new no.1, hands down.

Yes - good review. I agree with most points. Regarding graphics- on VR its really bad - I mean bad. I have watercooled i7 & 1080ti - both with really hefty overclock, 16 GB ram. I can run project cars 2 with quite high settings and it looks great (on rift S), but ACC - I can only manage very low settings- to be honest - not worth playing. The original Assetto Corsa is great on VR. I really hope this gets improved, because I think it is a fantastic game, but so far it falls considerably short with VR.

Yes - good review. I agree with most points. Regarding graphics- on VR its really bad - I mean bad. I have watercooled i7 & 1080ti - both with really hefty overclock, 16 GB ram. I can run project cars 2 with quite high settings and it looks great (on rift S), but ACC - I can only manage very low settings- to be honest - not worth playing. The original Assetto Corsa is great on VR. I really hope this gets improved, because I think it is a fantastic game, but so far it falls considerably short with VR support and optimisation.

The issue here is the UE4, Marco M confirmed this in a Race Department interview. This engine isnt well optimized for VR, this is why its so demanding. Tough situation for the team because as long as there is no need for Fortnite VR, it remains to be seen how much Epic cares for VR.

With respect, I'd have to disagree with three of the five ratings in this review.

Online is a 2 at best, especially for a title leveraging its success on the multi-player experience. Reference GT Sport or iRacing.

Graphics are a 5, if you're considering looks only. It's a beautiful title, but the performance is awful in VR.

Sounds are amazing and would get a 5 from me. The levels need tweaking, but the sounds themselves are unbelievably good.

Just figured out a few settings that make it look much better, more of the "sim racing palette" we're used to.

Image Contrast set to .55-.60
Exposure Gain lower to .20

I'd agree very good review.

I've been putting many hours in here, really enjoying the career.
Put all the cars through the paces and it seems the BMW is not only the fastest out of the hole, but also at the end of any given straight.
Aris confirms this at the official forum in the blog.

Best all rounder for me has been the Nissan, most fun to drive is the Jag.

This sim would be a solid 5 stars for me but I'm still having some performance issues, and the graphics while very good are blurry to my eye.
This seems implausible given we have not only a separate sharpness setting, but an advanced sharpen filter, resolution scale, material qualities with temporal upsampling which should increase the level of complexity and clean up the image.

Perhaps I'm just not used to UE4 games but I do miss the clean look of titles like Automoblista or iRacing.

The physics, FFB, and the way the cars handle is what keeps me coming back.

Any tips on how to make UE4 more clear visually are appreciated.

I'm running an i7 7700/1070ti on a 34" ultrawide at 1080p with mid to high settings getting 60-75fps.

So I wanted to make a bigger deal out of this in the review, but didn't want to get carried away.

Temporal AA and Upsampling are best left disabled, or in the case of AA left to, believe it or not, FXAA. TAA has horrible, horrible ghosting but that's nothing to do with the game itself. Even worse, both it and KTAA affects the cockpit dashboard and will make the text blur when ticking up and downward.

So I wanted to make a bigger deal out of this in the review, but didn't want to get carried away.

Temporal AA and Upsampling are best left disabled, or in the case of AA left to, believe it or not, FXAA. TAA has horrible, horrible ghosting but that's nothing to do with the game itself. Even worse, both it and KTAA affects the cockpit dashboard and will make the text blur when ticking up and downward.

I adjusted the contrast and exposure in game for a very noticeable improvement in my post above.
I think blurry was the wrong word to describe it, should of said foggy or contrast issue.
Thanks for the AA tips though, running temporal on high seems to give me the best results.

I'm waiting to buy this until the game is closer to being finished. Driver swaps for offline is a must if you want to do endurance races

It runs horribly, has terrible car content with no variety, and it's overpriced. No thanks.

Good review, but I don't agree with some things. Physics is Definitely 5/5 for me. Also rain effects on both vision and handling is the best I've ever experienced. Multiplayer is not where it needs to be yet. And career mode is just a glorified custom championship. But overall it's a hell of alot of fun

It runs horribly, has terrible car content with no variety, and it's overpriced. No thanks.

1. It runs very smooth with 60 fps all the time on high-ultra settings, 1440p on my PC.
2. Car content is great for what it is: a GT3 simulation. Do you expect road cars in an F1 sim, too?
3. Overpriced? Compared to what sim racing hardware like powerful PCs, FFB wheels or VR headsets costs, this game is a bargain. 45 bucks for a game should not be an issue for a sim racer.

You've tested Competizione extensively to form this opinion correct?
Surely you wouldn't just rely on someone elses brain to decide for you.

Tried the game on Razer 15" Advanced RTX 2080 MQ laptop with Epic settings, capped 60fps, full grid of 30 cars, Fanatec wheel, 4K TV and Dolby Atmos.

I'm hooked.

After waiting a long time for Spa to never arrive in GT Sport, I just had to try out Competizione to drive Spa with day/night transition, and it feels like re-learning how to properly sim race all over again. The FFB and car/tyre physics with TCS turned off is quite amazing. Lots practice and concentration needed to do a clean race, but the detailed wheel feedback made it a rewarding learning process controlling these GT3 cars.

Think I'm going to be spending quite some time with this game. Learning to race fast at Spa in stormy rainy weather is next.

Yes, I'm properly hooked

Ferrari 488 GT3 @ Spa-Francorchamps

Last edited:
If this comes to console they really need to think about hiring someone to write a decent career mode for them, especially after the criticisms of AC career mode. I expect though it's much harder to make a decent blancpain career mode than with F1 without having more than just GT3 cars. That's where GT4, Blancpain Asia comes in. Make it happen Kunos.

If this comes to console they really need to think about hiring someone to write a decent career mode for them, especially after the criticisms of AC career mode. I expect though it's much harder to make a decent blancpain career mode than with F1 without having more than just GT3 cars. That's where GT4, Blancpain Asia comes in. Make it happen Kunos.
I doubt it will.

Every time I play this game I end up with a HUGE smile on my face. For me this game has the best handling engine of any sim out there right now, it’s just so incredibly fun to drive and when you get to grips with the car its in a world of its own.

The GT-R is simply magnificent.

Last edited:
I doubt it will.

Kunos are in a difficult spot right now. It wont be possible to make this game run properly on sn base Xbox One. Our experience with Assetto Corsa on console wasnt great.. even that game had many technical issues and ACC is way more demanding. UE4 makes a port easier, but i dont think they can bring the game to current consoles with full grid, dynamic weather and daytime changes.

Most likely scenario IMO is that they are aiming for the next gen consoles. The game could be ready at launch, but Q4 2020 is still some way off. It remains to be seen what kind if experience other racing games will provide on the next gen consoles. I wouldnt consider ACC being a fully fledged next gen game. For me, its more like the most technical advanced racing game / sim of the current hardware generation.

I don't think this will be an impulse purchase for me, even though I've just upgraded my pc to something half decent. Steam reviews are full of complaints about various bugs and strange decisions they've made regarding the game. Maybe a Steam sale and few patches later will be the biting point.

Complaining about car content in this game is like complaining that there are only six beers in a six-pack of beer.

Anywhoo, well written review. Personally I would change the following:
Audio: 5
Physics & handling: 4.5 (possibly 5).

Sitting in the cockpit of any car in this game and maneuvering it around the track is like an all-in-one ear- and wheel-gasm.

I doubt it will.
Agree completely.

Every time I play this game I end up with a HUGE smile on my face. For me this fame has the best handling engine of any sim out there right now, it’s just so incredibly fun to drive and when you get to grips with the car its in a world of its own.

The GT-R is simply magnificent.
They may have issues currently but it bodes well for the future or the next AC2 if they should go that route.
Kunos are in a difficult spot right now. It wont be possible to make this game run properly on sn base Xbox One. Our experience with Assetto Corsa on console wasnt great.. even that game had many technical issues and ACC is way more demanding. UE4 makes a port easier, but i dont think they can bring the game to current consoles with full grid, dynamic weather and daytime changes.

Most likely scenario IMO is that they are aiming for the next gen consoles. The game could be ready at launch, but Q4 2020 is still some way off. It remains to be seen what kind if experience other racing games will provide on the next gen consoles. I wouldnt consider ACC being a fully fledged next gen game. For me, its more like the most technical advanced racing game / sim of the current hardware generation.
Seams to me like they'd be crazy to even try for this gen.

I don't think this will be an impulse purchase for me, even though I've just upgraded my pc to something half decent. Steam reviews are full of complaints about various bugs and strange decisions they've made regarding the game. Maybe a Steam sale and few patches later will be the biting point.
Try it then refund it before the 2 hours are up?

Complaining about car content in this game is like complaining that there are only six beers in a six-pack of beer.

Anywhoo, well written review. Personally I would change the following:
Audio: 5
Physics & handling: 4.5 (possibly 5).

Sitting in the cockpit of any car in this game and maneuvering it around the track is like an all-in-one ear- and wheel-gasm.

So I've seen the "X should have been higher" comment plenty, and I thought I'd finally respond at my approach here. :P

Originally, I very nearly had the physics and handling at five stars, but what does it mean for something to receive a perfect score?

It means, at least to me, that it is an exemplary example. By all accounts, it's uncontested, unrivaled — perhaps even perfect. By no means is the physics engine in Assetto Corsa perfect. By no means is it uncontested or unrivaled. As I said in the review, the physics are better in ACC than in the original, but if it received a perfect score than that means the original would too. How can something be better than the other if both have a perfect score?

Do you see the (extremely) semantical nuances it creates? :lol:

As for audio, while it's damn good, there's no way I can rate it higher than R3E.

what does it mean for something to receive a perfect score?

It means there is no room for improvement and that's impossible as everything man made can be improved, with the exception of Chicago style pizza which we all can agree is the best, and perfect.

So I've seen the "X should have been higher" comment
Sorry, my comment wasn't meant like that. I fully respect your opinion and thought it was a very good and fair review.
I only meant to express my opinion on those two categories. Not that you should change yours. :)

Sorry, my comment wasn't meant like that. I fully respect your opinion and thought it was a very good and fair review.
I only meant to express my opinion on those two categories. Not that you should change yours. :)

I didn't take offense to yours or any other comment saying "I would have rated this X." I didn't want to stay quiet on the matter either, so thought I'd chime in explaining why I rated things as I did.

I will say, reading back over things for the umpteenth time, perhaps I was a tad too harsh on the graphics score. Though, at the same time I feel I sing its praises more than enough to justify the end result.

Hindsight is 20-20, after all.

I will say, reading back over things for the umpteenth time, perhaps I was a tad too harsh on the graphics score.
I think your graphics score is fair. :)
I mean, it looks almost photo realistic most of the time, so no complaints there. But there are several issues, such as aliasing, ghosting, and of course performance as you pointed out in the review. And blur when using Panini projection (although I guess that's the nature of that type of projection).

Back