Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 131,017 comments
Try here C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg and look for sparks.ini.

Probably able to change colour in there

EDIT: Actually that might not be the way to do it as I don't think that file is anything to do with CSP..Is there nothing on the shaders discord?

further digging revealed this
[SPARKS_DEV]
; hidden

SIZE_MULT=0.5
BLUR_MULT=0.8
; BRIGHTNESS_BASE=2
; BRIGHTNESS_EXTRA=3
BRIGHTNESS_BASE=6
BRIGHTNESS_EXTRA=6
FADING_BASE=0.2
FADING_LIFE_LEFT_K=2

in the particles_fx.ini located here C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\extension\config

This actually works, you just need to change and save the values into "~\Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\extension\particles_fx.ini

Screenshot_rss_formula_hybrid_2019_ks_nordschleife_17-1-120-22-23-0.jpg

:lol:

If theres any question as to why RSS is known as the most detailed and most meticulous mods out there.

custom-showroom-1579301030.png

On sparks, this was months ago below, You could change some stuff but talking with Ilja, your not going to get the awesome sparks of like 205 or lower unless you want to re-write the shaders code. The .ini is super limited. You get what ya get.

1.png

This was from September, sparks prior were far better. Today, you're not gonna get it.

Screenshot-asr-1991-benetton-b191-ks-highlands-28-9-119-3-25-35.jpg

Last edited:
This actually works, you just need to change and save the values into "~\Documents\Assetto Corsa\cfg\extension\particles_fx.ini
So the brightness can be changed here... but not the colour temperature? There's no RGB values, like there is in the other sparks config.
Yours look more 'yellow' than mine in your image though. Is that just brightness adjustment?

So the brightness can be changed here... but not the colour temperature? There's no RGB values, like there is in the other sparks config.
Yours look more 'yellow' than mine in your image though. Is that just brightness adjustment?
I'm assuming so as I just increased the values a fair bit:

BRIGHTNESS_BASE=16
BRIGHTNESS_EXTRA=16

is what are in those pics.

Velo's Aston Martin DB4 Zagato got an update:

Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato 1960
Version 1.1 17/01/2020
New steering wheel, driver position improved, driver seat repositioned, cockpit shader changes and suspension update.

Gauges are still the same, but the steering wheels looks much nicer now.

@Masscot found this

About 4 minutes in is probably of most interest to you

Ah, good find! I tried the recommendations (and actually increased the 'life' a bit more to 2.5) and sparks look a lot better now, especially with the earlier brightness fix.
If you want a sparky car to test them, try the Kakusso Bentley Continental GT3 2013. That thing spits sparks like a Catherine wheel on bonfire night.

Ah, good find! I tried the recommendations (and actually increased the 'life' a bit more to 2.5) and sparks look a lot better now, especially with the earlier brightness fix.
If you want a sparky car to test them, try the Kakusso Bentley Continental GT3 2013. That thing spits sparks like a Catherine wheel on bonfire night.

All good, and yeah I'll try that Bentley out. Not surprised it's a spark spitting wonder wheel as I don't think you could fit a rizla paper under that thing it's so low.

Are these the values you used?

BRIGHTNESS_BASE=16
BRIGHTNESS_EXTRA=16
FADING_BASE=0.2
FADING_LIFE_LEFT_K=2.5

All good, and yeah I'll try that Bentley out. Not surprised it's a spark spitting wonder wheel as I don't think you could fit a rizla paper under that thing it's so low.

Are these the values you used?

BRIGHTNESS_BASE=16
BRIGHTNESS_EXTRA=16
FADING_BASE=0.2
FADING_LIFE_LEFT_K=2.5
I think so, they look familiar. Away from my rig for the night now.

Only thing with that vid, it was made in April, maybe around the time of shader preview74 and up and the code for sparks were completely different then today. So I highly doubt if you tried to copy that .ini in the vid that the sparks would look like they do in the vid.

Dont have time to see, maybe someone can and post some shots, would be curious to see with the different code.

Only thing with that vid, it was made in April, maybe around the time of shader preview74 and up and the code for sparks were completely different then today. So I highly doubt if you tried to copy that .ini in the vid that the sparks would look like they do in the vid.

Dont have time to see, maybe someone can and post some shots, would be curious to see with the different code.
It works perfectly. Try it yourself.

I will upgrade my hardware at some point but I think I'll wait a card generation or two so that VR HMDs have had more time to mature as well. It'll likely be a complete overhaul of my entire system, which ain't gonna be cheap. In the meantime I really am quite happy with my current setup, especially now that I can unlock a load of juice that was powering things I don't really need cough*SOL*cough.
Testing this afternoon proves that I can reactivate CSP and keep everything on as previously, except WeatherFX/Sol. I'm actually getting 3-4 more FPS than I was last night with CSP completely deactivated, so those CSP CPU/GPU optimisations do seem to be working their magic. It really does seem like Sol is what's been bogging my system down, and I'm totally serious when I say my game, on my system, in my HMD, with my settings, looks better to me without it (I thought it prudent to add those qualifiers in italics as it's purely subjective opinion). Other cars look more real somehow, eg the back of the Kunos MP4-12C GT3 is now nicely detailed, whereas before, when behind one, it's arse was hidden in murky shadow.
I'm happy. AC's had new life breathed into it. I didn't realise it but I've been subconsciously wondering before every 8-AI race whether I was going to get stutters, but now I can run 20 cars with impudence. Feels good, man.

I'm a Patreon contributor for CSP and can tell you that Ilja is currently developing/testing an alternative Weather FX module that means you won't need to run SOL soon, if you want to consume less processing resources, or just don't want to run it. I have it on my PC already and it will save you at least 3-4 FPS, or more. I haven't tested it much yet, but I think I saved up to 7-8fps on some sections of Fonteny with 22 cars running at 7.30am. It also produces cloud shadows and will have its own control panel where you can adjust cloud density and other bits 'n pieces.

Last edited:
For anyone who's interested, here's some more accurate figures, using the benchmark tool and running a custom benchmark race with 20 varied GT3 cars on SPA, early morning with deep shadows. My PC specs are listed below.

I'm running 3840x1920 resolution @ 144Hz, 2x DSR with 33% smoothness, GSync on @ 'Maximum Possible Framerate', MSAA 4X, AA 8X, shadows and reflections both on 2048x2048, mirrors 512x2048, cockpit view.

So...

1. Running SOL, ExtraFX on but only running SSGI (Simple Light Bounce) and Extra Space Lighting:
Average FPS 76.0; Minimum FPS 57.9

2. Exactly the same but running the new Alternative Weather FX instead of SOL:
Average FPS 80.4; Minimum FPS 59.0

3. Runnings SOL, same ExtraFX ON, but with 'disable everything for interior cameras':
Average FPS 75.0; Minimum FPS 57.6

4. Runnings SOL, same ExtraFX module OFF:
Average FPS 76.1; Minimum FPS 57.4

5. Alternative WeatherFX instead of SOL, ExtraFX module off completely:
Average FPS 83.0; Minimum FPS 60.2

Last edited:
I'm a Patreon contributor for CSP and can tell you that Ilja is currently developing/testing an alternative Weather FX module that means you won't need to run SOL soon, if you want to consume less processing resources, or just don't want to run it. I have it on my PC already and it will save you at least 3-4 FPS, or more. I haven't tested it much yet, but I think I saved up to 7-8fps on some sections of Fonteny with 22 cars running at 7.30am. It also produces cloud shadows and will have its own control panel where you can adjust cloud density and other bits 'n pieces.
Very interesting! How does it look compared to Sol? Any other advantages or limits?

It's very much in the 'early development' phase right now, but it looks promising to me. Ilja still rates the look of the clouds themselves as 'sad', which is a bit harsh. You can definitely see it has lots of potential. At this point, the cloud textures look a little low-res to me, but they're pretty dynamic looking, with lots of variety of cloud shapes and forms. The big thing is that he's trying to make it less resource intensive than SOL. Obviously that's the most important factor of all!

Can't really give you too much info and the advantages or limitations at this point. There has only been one very basic build so far, but I think Ilja's got much more underway with a new app to control cloud density, speed of formation changes, etc. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it develops.

It's very much in the 'early development' phase right now, but it looks promising to me. Ilja still rates the look of the clouds themselves as 'sad', which is a bit harsh. You can definitely see it has lots of potential. At this point, the cloud textures look a little low-res to me, but they're pretty dynamic looking, with lots of variety of cloud shapes and forms. The big thing is that he's trying to make it less resource intensive than SOL. Obviously that's the most important factor of all!

Can't really give you too much info and the advantages or limitations at this point. There has only been one very basic build so far, but I think Ilja's got much more underway with a new app to control cloud density, speed of formation changes, etc. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it develops.
Sounds promising. I'd totally forgotten that Ilja was working on this after seeing it mentioned in vague terms on the CSP discord quite a long time ago. I guess the clouds are volumetric and procedural in a similar way to the new smoke?

Talking of weather, following my adventures over the past couple of days and reversion to vanilla weather, I reactivated Sol to run further benches and somehow, amazingly, got almost all of my performance back. There must have been some rogue setting or repeating memory leak (this can happen with Sol, apparently) that was borking my performance. Anyway, I'm now back to running large grids with Sol active again. I just need to find a good PP filter now that gives a natural look in VR on the Rift.

Ilja says he tried volumetric clouds but they were "way too expensive and/or noisy"... so he's come up with something else. Your guess is as good as mine what that actually is!
I like Sol, but the biggest disadvantage is not the clouds else how looks the sun. No good sunrays, especially at sunset, it looks like a normal planet. I hoped that Peter can solve this problem, but after this longtime I dońt think so. That is in vanilla so much better, but all the possibilities whatPeter did, is really great.

I like Sol, but the biggest disadvantage is not the clouds else how looks the sun. No good sunrays, especially at sunset, it looks like a normal planet. I hoped that Peter can solve this problem, but after this longtime I dońt think so. That is in vanilla so much better, but all the possibilities whatPeter did, is really great.
This is pretty much down to the PPFilter. If you adjust LENGTH and (I think) ANGLE_ATTENUATION under [GODRAYS] then you will get the effect you are looking for.

Screenshot_cat_ferrari_288gto_grb_lakelouise_208_17-1-120-20-34-27.jpg

If you want to be truely blinded when coming over a crest at sunset feel free to use these settings:

[GODRAYS]
ENABLED=1
USE_SUN_LIGHT=1
; SetLightShaftDiffractionRing()
DIFFRACTION_RING=0
DIFFRACTION_RING_RADIUS=5 ;DEG
DIFFRACTION_RING_ATTENUATION=0.1
DIFFRACTION_RING_SPECTRUM_ORDER=1
DIFFRACTION_RING_OUTER_COLOR=0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5
; SetLightShaftParameters()
COLOR=1,1,1,1
LENGTH=8
GLARE_RATIO=0.01
ANGLE_ATTENUATION=5
NOISE_MASK=0.01
NOISE_FREQUENCY=1
DEPTH_MASK_THRESHOLD=0.999999999

Also there are a couple of settings in the Sol Weather app in game that you can use to adjust the glare of the sun; they might be worth playing around with!

I hope that solves your issue!

Sounds promising. I'd totally forgotten that Ilja was working on this after seeing it mentioned in vague terms on the CSP discord quite a long time ago. I guess the clouds are volumetric and procedural in a similar way to the new smoke?

Talking of weather, following my adventures over the past couple of days and reversion to vanilla weather, I reactivated Sol to run further benches and somehow, amazingly, got almost all of my performance back. There must have been some rogue setting or repeating memory leak (this can happen with Sol, apparently) that was borking my performance. Anyway, I'm now back to running large grids with Sol active again. I just need to find a good PP filter now that gives a natural look in VR on the Rift.

Do you mean reactivated via clicking the tick box on or off? or did you do a clean install of SOL?

A good guide by Andrew_WOT over on RD for CSP/SOL/Nvidia settings that I use (also have a Samsung Odyssey Plus)

I changed a few things to my liking and for performance but the _SOL_HC filter makes quite a difference in clarity for me.

It's never been really clear where the PP settings are changed on page 4 of that doc... and in the Sol config app, does a red check mark next to things mean 'true' or 'false'?
I swear, you need to be a mind reader to mod stuff in AC. CSP and Sol are the same, settings are littered with vague descriptions or misleading headings with no real clues as to what they do.
Very frustrating.

Do you mean reactivated via clicking the tick box on or off? or did you do a clean install of SOL?
Just ticking it off then on again (with vanilla testing in between). My situation might well be unique though, I don't think this will be some magical universal fix.

Hi Everyone, just a couple of quick question:

1: Anyone have problem with the Lexus by ELEMENT1999? I have the "fabric net" of the driver side rotating while in game (see this video)

2: Anyone knows if there's a way (even manually) to tweak the grass created when you go offline? For me it's look too much, and i want (if possible) to reduce it in order to have something more realistic.

Thanks in advance :)

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back