Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 130,989 comments
This week, I will attempt to add my first 3rd party content to Assetto Corsa. Part of this is to broaden the appeal of Assetto Corsa and look for new options towards racing and modding. I haven't yet decided on what to get. Despite this, I do want to get an idea as to what to do in offering mods online, because I do want to offer some of my skin creations for download. I am mostly going to stick to popular mods on the vehicle front. My track mod choices are going to be very limited. I still have not attempted trying to model my own tracks.

This week, I will attempt to add my first 3rd party content to Assetto Corsa. Part of this is to broaden the appeal of Assetto Corsa and look for new options towards racing and modding. I haven't yet decided on what to get. Despite this, I do want to get an idea as to what to do in offering mods online, because I do want to offer some of my skin creations for download. I am mostly going to stick to popular mods on the vehicle front. My track mod choices are going to be very limited. I still have not attempted trying to model my own tracks.
I would recommend sticking with only Race Department mods. You will find top quality mods there and they're all either scratch built or converted by or with the permission of the original builder. There are a few stinkers on RD - not everything can be perfect...but those tend to be abandoned mods that were started in like 2015 and still only half-way finished.

If you want to get into track building you're going to need a copy of Blender (free software) to do all the 3d modelling - or any other 3D modeling software like 3ds Max, Maya, XSI, etc...It is extremely difficult in the beginning but in time I'm sure it will all make a lot more sense. Oh yeah, if you want to share some of the skins you've created I would recommend Race Department for that as well. Good luck!

Here's a better version of the Acura NSX that's available on AssettoLand

https://mega.nz/#!W1IWgTJK!lSo5DSdGiTd7bFPNTRi8HsORsGCpIOb2llFXhyx2pzc

upload_2018-2-19_16-46-8.png

28071314_347471035768211_3641018473914177859_o.jpg

it was abandoned for big competition for safety reasons

Is that because it has these obscure things called curves, grass and elevation changes?

May be if they flattened all the hills, turned the curves into sharp right angles and placed obscenely colored tarmac absolutely everywhere else, it would be accepted. I mean, Paul Ricard was added back to the F1 calendar, such an amazing track after all... :yuck:
Sorry, just got a bit of vomit in my mouth then.

When I got this track yesterday, I meant to come post a link here specifically for @rcallsign since he loves slaying those downhill touge hills. This is such a beautiful mod. It's a shame it's not at least a little bit longer.

I really struggle to notice much difference between the two after driving them back-to-back.
Both certainly have abysmal brakes..!
I never bothered downloading the new NSX, but I'm going to give this one a try. It sure is a good looking car.

I'll tell ya...this has been one friggin' sh**** week. :grumpy: :( First, Fat-Alfie made his informal announcement about his future regarding track building - while he didn't say he was completely done with building tracks for AC, we probably will never see a Thomson Road or Bilster Berg level of quality from him anymore. His overall message wasn't exactly crystal clear, however, because he did say something like, "But, if people want to try them...that's fine." So, I don't know if he means early versions or what. Just a couple of hours ago I read the posts about Aphidgod leaving the modding scene completely. :eek: I wanted to cry...He and A3DR have been producing such magnificent cars and they had several projects lined up for the future. A3DR said he will continue building the models, but he's going to have to find a new physics guy. I guess I just need to be very thankful for the short time those two worked together firing out AAA quality car mods for free.

I really don't blame some of those modders for feeling the way they do. So many people are just completely ungrateful for the amount of effort people had to put in to create those cars & tracks from scratch. They feel they deserve these mods...especially for free.

I never bothered downloading the new NSX, but I'm going to give this one a try. It sure is a good looking car.
Try this one too then..!

[AC Car] Acura NSX 2017
Note: This version existed before the Honda version of Alex Cash
Changelog:
Added accurate Hybrid powertrain
adjusted car power
adjusted cars aerodynamics
redoe shaders and shadows
Added Kunos sound
Fixed drivetrain
Fixed ui
And a lot of other stuff

I would recommend sticking with only Race Department mods. You will find top quality mods there and they're all either scratch built or converted by or with the permission of the original builder. There are a few stinkers on RD - not everything can be perfect...but those tend to be abandoned mods that were started in like 2015 and still only half-way finished.

I've got a lot of bad mods from RD. It's great that they have heaps of mods in one place there, but some of the absolute best mods I've downloaded have come from elsewhere, and some of the worst have come from RD (and vice versa of course). The very worst track (by quite some margin) I've downloaded, Interlagos '79, came from RD. The worst part is the ratings. Almost everyone there just gives 5 star ratings to every mod they come across, as if it's an encouragement system and not a rating system. Interlagos '79 has PS1 era textures, about 30 polygons make the entire track (being facetious), and everything is offensively overexposed, yet on RD it's been rated 4.5 out of 5 stars... It's quite literally the worst track mod I've seen. It'd look utterly terrible and out of place in rF1, let alone AC.

If I only stuck with RD mods I'd have half of what I currently do, and would also be missing half of the good mods I have.

I've got a lot of bad mods from RD. It's great that they have heaps of mods in one place there, but some of the absolute best mods I've downloaded have come from elsewhere, and some of the worst have come from RD (and vice versa of course). The very worst track (by quite some margin) I've downloaded, Interlagos '79, came from RD. The worst part is the ratings. Almost everyone there just gives 5 star ratings to every mod they come across, as if it's an encouragement system and not a rating system. Interlagos '79 has PS1 era textures, about 30 polygons make the entire track (being facetious), and everything is offensively overexposed, yet on RD it's been rated 4.5 out of 5 stars... It's quite literally the worst track mod I've seen. It'd look utterly terrible and out of place in rF1, let alone AC.

If I only stuck with RD mods I'd have half of what I currently do, and would also be missing half of the good mods I have.
Can you please link to some of these non-RD mods worth having? I'm always keen to try new content, especially the good stuff.

I think we all can agree that any rating system can be very subjective. I’ve learned to trust my own assessment, which you likely came to the same conclusion. But I still think that RD is a good recommendation to PC newbies. There is more than car and track mods on RD - sound mods, apps, liveries, etc. I think we all eventually arrive at the same AC mod websites and Facebook groups other than RD.

Can you please link to some of these non-RD mods worth having? I'm always keen to try new content, especially the good stuff.

Since I'm on my laptop, AC is on my PC, and I downloaded so many mods in such a short time, I don't know exactly where many of my non-RD mods came from. So so many mod websites and FB groups around, it'd take me ages to find it all again. Just do what I did and spend a good solid few days scouring the web for mods. You'll no doubt find them. Found heaps of free downloads for paymods too, which is how I learned that not all paymods are good (URD's GTE pack isn't even as good as most Facebook group mods).

Also, I've found so many good mod cars that have been stuffed up in small ways (stuffed collider that scrapes the ground for example), that once fixed with CM and AC Car Tuner, are actually fantastic mods.

I think we all can agree that any rating system can be very subjective. I’ve learned to trust my own assessment, which you likely came to the same conclusion. But I still think that RD is a good recommendation to PC newbies. There is more than car and track mods on RD - sound mods, apps, liveries, etc. I think we all eventually arrive at the same AC mod websites and Facebook groups other than RD.

Oh absolutely mate, I'm not saying RD is crap, I just disagree that it's where someone can find all the best mods for AC. You have to spend bloody ages downloading from various places if you want all the good stuff. I would of course recommend to anyone getting into AC to head over to RD for some tasty mods, but I'd never recommend sticking exclusively with RD for mods, as like I said, it's just as much of a mixed bag over there as it is on any half decent mod website or Facebook group.

Last edited:
Since I'm on my laptop, AC is on my PC, and I downloaded so many mods in such a short time, I don't know exactly where many of my non-RD mods came from. So so many mod websites and FB groups around, it'd take me ages to find it all again. Just do what I did and spend a good solid few days scouring the web for mods. You'll no doubt find them. Found heaps of free downloads for paymods too, which is how I learned that not all paymods are good (URD's GTE pack isn't even as good as most Facebook group mods).

Also, I've found so many good mod cars that have been stuffed up in small ways (stuffed collider that scrapes the ground for example), that once fixed with CM and AC Car Tuner, are actually fantastic mods.

Oh absolutely mate, I'm not saying RD is crap, I just disagree that it's where someone can find all the best mods for AC. You have to spend bloody ages downloading from various places if you want all the good stuff. I would of course recommend to anyone getting into AC to head over to RD for some tasty mods, but I'd never recommend sticking exclusively with RD for mods, as like I said, it's just as much of a mixed bag over there as it is on any half decent mod website or Facebook group.

Here's one of the most comprehensive lists of active/semi-active car mods floating around on the interent that I've come across, created by jens Roos over @ RD. He includes the list in his Tyre & Lut pack. I've never actually used the Tyre pack, but I reference his car mod list. Of course, there are no links to the cars in his list, but just google the names and you'll eventually find some of them. 👍👍

Modshttp://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/protyres-ini-lut-pack.18088/

Here's one of the most comprehensive lists of active/semi-active car mods floating around on the interent that I've come across, created by jens Roos over @ RD. He includes the list in his Tyre & Lut pack. I've never actually used the Tyre pack, but I reference his car mod list. Of course, there are no links to the cars in his list, but just google the names and you'll eventually find some of them. 👍👍

Modshttp://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/protyres-ini-lut-pack.18088/

Yeah I have all of those cars mate. It was @Masscot who was looking for quality mods.

Try this one too then..!

[AC Car] Acura NSX 2017
Note: This version existed before the Honda version of Alex Cash
Changelog:
Added accurate Hybrid powertrain
adjusted car power
adjusted cars aerodynamics
redoe shaders and shadows
Added Kunos sound
Fixed drivetrain
Fixed ui
And a lot of other stuff

It understeers quite a bit and its brake lights are broken. I feel like it'll be quite difficult to accurately recreate the NSX since its torque vectoring system is really complicated.

I agree with everything you said. If someone is brand new to Assetto Corsa and they ask about mods, I always recommend they start at Race Department because of the organization...there are usually screenshots or even video clips showing off the mod and when it comes to cars, the mod creator usually is trying their best to make the car drive like the real thing. If they're making a 1971 Vette, for instance, I expect softer springs than you'd find on a 2015 Vette with some body roll. I'd expect it to be slower than a modern sporty sedan with brakes that aren't very impressive compared to today's cars.

Yes, crap mods do end up on RD, but I think it's easier to discern what looks & sounds worth downloading. I checked that 1979 Interlagos - the track is 9.9MB in size. Right there, I would expect a completely $hit mod. Oh yeah, I just remembered...if you look at the date on that mod: June 18, 2014 with nary an update -- I would not expect that track to be even remotely good. You're also 100% correct regarding the mod 5-star rating system. I'm going to try and remember the term you used, an encouragement system, when discussing this in the future because that's exactly what it's turned into and that is bad for all of us. I'll admit, I've probably been guilty of it a couple of times. Now I just won't even bother giving it a rating unless I love the mod. Without giving the mod creator's name, I one time gave a 3-star review to a license plate mod. They were California plates from the USA except the plates were still the size of the European plates that are default on AC cars. It stretched out the letters & numbers and just looked like crap. I got a PM from the mod creator going bull$hoot on me saying that it deserves better than 3 stars even after admitting that the size isn't correct at all and the texture of letters & numbers was terribly stretched. I stuck to my guns. About 3 or 4 months later I deleted the 3-star review, of my own volition, not because he asked. So, I have been part of the problem at times...not part of the solution. :(

The majority of my mods come from sources other than RD as I'm sure yours do to. It took me some time, but I can pretty much tell you if a car mod is going to be really good, really bad, or decent enough to hold onto based on the name of the modder and the version number they're applying to the mod. That's one of the things I really respect about Assetto Land. They make sure to give proper credit to the mod creators. There are too many FB groups that leech cars from Velos Mods, AC Mod Central 24/7, etc. and re-upload onto DepositFiles.com servers hoping to make a few bucks off the hard work of others.

When I got this track yesterday, I meant to come post a link here specifically for @rcallsign since he loves slaying those downhill touge hills. This is such a beautiful mod. It's a shame it's not at least a little bit longer.
The same day I hosted a drift stream there. It's a great little road

In using Content Manager, I realize why I have been adjusting the gamma to my car skins- it's the settings for the Custom Showroom! So rather than adjust the gamma for my skins, I went ahead and adjusted the light settings for the Custom Showroom I use. I use the "Default Fast" one for easy maneuvering around. I realized my skins appeared too bright. So I ended up toning down the brightness so that my skins don't appear so bright in the Custom Showroom. I also went ahead and changed up my Custom Showroom so that I can have reflections on the floor for more elegant pictures of my car skins. I am still playing around with settings so I can figure out exactly what it is I want to do to make my skin designs great. I at least now don't have to tone down the gamma to my skins just so they can appear with the proper colors as initially intended.

What I want to do is try to maybe 3D model my own showroom for more interesting pictures. But before I try to come up with something with Blender 3D, I still try to wonder what exactly I can do before coming up with some custom showroom images. I been posting links to my Weebly site in regards to my skins. For sure, you can see all of my Assetto Corsa skinning work on my site when I make more pictures available.

I think we all can agree that any rating system can be very subjective.

Yeah, he kinda left out the part that there are only 6 reviews for Interlagos 79 on RD which is a pretty small sample size and 4 of those 6 reviews were from summer of 2014 when AC was still in Early Access and there weren't many mods available so it probably got praise just for simply existing.

Oh absolutely mate, I'm not saying RD is crap, I just disagree that it's where someone can find all the best mods for AC.

Generally when people say the "best mods for AC are at RD" it means they typically aren't ripped from other games and are either scratch-built or converted from something like rF1 with permission. Doesn't have so much to do with the actually quality of the mod, more the quality of the source. At least that's what I mean when I say that.

I agree with everything you said. If someone is brand new to Assetto Corsa and they ask about mods, I always recommend they start at Race Department because of the organization...there are usually screenshots or even video clips showing off the mod and when it comes to cars, the mod creator usually is trying their best to make the car drive like the real thing. If they're making a 1971 Vette, for instance, I expect softer springs than you'd find on a 2015 Vette with some body roll. I'd expect it to be slower than a modern sporty sedan with brakes that aren't very impressive compared to today's cars.

Yes, crap mods do end up on RD, but I think it's easier to discern what looks & sounds worth downloading. I checked that 1979 Interlagos - the track is 9.9MB in size. Right there, I would expect a completely $hit mod. Oh yeah, I just remembered...if you look at the date on that mod: June 18, 2014 with nary an update -- I would not expect that track to be even remotely good. You're also 100% correct regarding the mod 5-star rating system. I'm going to try and remember the term you used, an encouragement system, when discussing this in the future because that's exactly what it's turned into and that is bad for all of us. I'll admit, I've probably been guilty of it a couple of times. Now I just won't even bother giving it a rating unless I love the mod. Without giving the mod creator's name, I one time gave a 3-star review to a license plate mod. They were California plates from the USA except the plates were still the size of the European plates that are default on AC cars. It stretched out the letters & numbers and just looked like crap. I got a PM from the mod creator going bull$hoot on me saying that it deserves better than 3 stars even after admitting that the size isn't correct at all and the texture of letters & numbers was terribly stretched. I stuck to my guns. About 3 or 4 months later I deleted the 3-star review, of my own volition, not because he asked. So, I have been part of the problem at times...not part of the solution. :(

The majority of my mods come from sources other than RD as I'm sure yours do to. It took me some time, but I can pretty much tell you if a car mod is going to be really good, really bad, or decent enough to hold onto based on the name of the modder and the version number they're applying to the mod. That's one of the things I really respect about Assetto Land. They make sure to give proper credit to the mod creators. There are too many FB groups that leech cars from Velos Mods, AC Mod Central 24/7, etc. and re-upload onto DepositFiles.com servers hoping to make a few bucks off the hard work of others.

Interlagos '79 was an extreme example of a **** mod on RD, but there are a lot of bad mods there, and almost all of them have high ratings and many comments praising the work. I was just making a point because you told someone they should "stick to" RD for quality mods. I disagree with that wholeheartedly.

I agree with the rest of your post though mate, especially those irritating FB groups that just rip off other mods and upload to depositfiles. I joined heaps of groups as soon as I got AC on PC, and today I'm only a member of I think 3 of them. Two of those being Velos and AC Mod Central. Assettoland is also a good website, but it's just as hit and miss and RD. Thankfully they have stuff that RD doesn't (and vice versa).
My approahc to mods was to download everything that even looked like it had a remote chance of being ok, and then delete the garbage as I test stuff. As I said earlier: Some of the mods that have issues can be easily fixed and become nice mods.

Yeah, he kinda left out the part that there are only 6 reviews for Interlagos 79 on RD which is a pretty small sample size and 4 of those 6 reviews were from summer of 2014 when AC was still in Early Access and there weren't many mods available so it probably got praise just for simply existing.

Generally when people say the "best mods for AC are at RD" it means they typically aren't ripped from other games and are either scratch-built or converted from something like rF1 with permission. Doesn't have so much to do with the actually quality of the mod, more the quality of the source. At least that's what I mean when I say that.

What has the number of reviews or how old the mod is have to do with my point Brandon? I didn't say it was touted as the best mod there, I pointed out the ridiculous rating system over there (and the fact it's pointless), and I pointed out that RD doesn't have all the best mods for AC, and people shouldn't limit themselves to RD like some here are suggesting. Also, there are A LOT of crap mods at RD, and not just old ones either.

Also, you can't say RD doesn't have ripped content when more than half the mods there are ripped from RF1, a bunch of them without being touched up or improved upon. I don't buy the argument that ripped mods from a 13 year old game are somehow better than someone ripping a 3D model from Forza, provided they've put some work into the physics. I've had good and bad mods for AC that started life as Forza models, and good and bad ones that used to be rF1 mods.

Edit to say, before anyone brings it up: No, I don't have a problem with people ripping 3D models from Forza. Turn 10 have already made a fortune off them, and they aren't missing out on any income. They've made billions off the Forza games, so I have no problem whatsoever with hobbyists using their models to make mods for a niche racing sim.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem admitting most of my mods are probably composed of ripped Forza models...There are some really good modders who do a really good job slapping together realistic physics for a car, but they can't model something as complex as an automobile in 3ds max or Blender. Modelling is incredibly difficult, especially if you're not an artistic person by nature. As long as they're not trying to sell conversions or sell cars that were created by someone else who doesn't give them permission. That stuff bothers me.

@Mike_grpA - I probably did make the comment about sticking with RD mods solely and I apologize if I convinced anyone to stay away from other mod sources, I apologize. That wasn't my intention at all. I do usually recommend people look at RD when they're brand new to Assetto Corsa - there will be plenty of time to scour the web's other AC Mods sources, but my recommendation is to get grounded with Assetto Corsa and frankly, with Kunos vehicles & tracks. Then, you'll have a measuring stick to use when you go hunting across the web for other mods.

@JohnBM01 - I sort of know what you mean about colors in the custom showroom versus on track or in a Kuno showroom. I've painted up a couple of cars only to find that the colors I was using looked different in the CM Showroom and it was because I was using a CM Showroom Preset that was using multiple lights. The Kunos graphics engine only uses 1 light. Fortunately, all of that will change with ACC.

@JohnBM01 - I sort of know what you mean about colors in the custom showroom versus on track or in a Kuno showroom. I've painted up a couple of cars only to find that the colors I was using looked different in the CM Showroom and it was because I was using a CM Showroom Preset that was using multiple lights. The Kunos graphics engine only uses 1 light. Fortunately, all of that will change with ACC.

I think if you use of the external 'scene' showrooms (beach, car park etc) then the colours might be more like you'd see out on the track. Maybe. I dunno.

Looking around with Content Manager, I actually attempted to fiddle with the DDS images for the crew. Instead of fooling with the original kind of crew chief gear, I can already see the possibility of making your own proper racing suits. I see it is possible to make your own racing suits granted you can design them properly. So if you want to make (for example) Team GTPlanet in Assetto Corsa, you don't need to go with the offered suits and slap on the GTPlanet logo- you can simply design a base suit and then apply the proper badging. I started to come up with this observation once I studied the ac_crew and skin files for car skins. Usually, I started out choosing colors based on what I want for my car. So if my car is to be mostly purple, I chose whatever skin is closest to what I want to produce for my driver and my team. I never cared much about team colors prior to this post. However, and if to be unique, I have to consider skins for both the car AND the team. The "ac_crew" and "livery" DDS files come into play as you see your team. You then have to think about which pit crew and driver skins to go with. Either find the best fit among the included skins or make your own. And one thing I figured out is that if you do make your own team, the team folder should not have skin INI file in the directory. You have to supplant your own files to put into the directory. I tried this by grabbing the suits, gloves, and helmets from one of the Ferrari F1 team folders and putting them into one other team folder- just to see if I get custom skins for the driver and team. Mission accomplished! However, I don't know if I want to go full-on with skins AND teams AND suits...

If you ever played "NASCAR Racing 2003 Season," you can actually edit the textures for your pit crew and the "war wagon." It just gives your created team a little extra personality. That's the same thing with Assetto Corsa. Only that in Assetto Corsa, unless you know where exactly the driver and crew textures you want to use, you could possibly edit the skin.ini to include your team and driver outfits. That is what I may do with my own team. The only exception would be in making unique team suits to compliment all of the different created skins. I only want to mostly do it for skins I create to represent my team. So I'm *officially* using my Audi R8 LMS 2016 skin as my "test" team for racing liveries and skins for my own team.

This has been a mostly technical post. I want to thank everyone who have helped contribute to my musings as well as offer guidance and assistance to my posts here and on the general discussion AC threads. Thank you so much.

Looking around with Content Manager, I actually attempted to fiddle with the DDS images for the crew. Instead of fooling with the original kind of crew chief gear, I can already see the possibility of making your own proper racing suits. I see it is possible to make your own racing suits granted you can design them properly. So if you want to make (for example) Team GTPlanet in Assetto Corsa, you don't need to go with the offered suits and slap on the GTPlanet logo- you can simply design a base suit and then apply the proper badging. I started to come up with this observation once I studied the ac_crew and skin files for car skins. Usually, I started out choosing colors based on what I want for my car. So if my car is to be mostly purple, I chose whatever skin is closest to what I want to produce for my driver and my team. I never cared much about team colors prior to this post. However, and if to be unique, I have to consider skins for both the car AND the team. The "ac_crew" and "livery" DDS files come into play as you see your team. You then have to think about which pit crew and driver skins to go with. Either find the best fit among the included skins or make your own. And one thing I figured out is that if you do make your own team, the team folder should not have skin INI file in the directory. You have to supplant your own files to put into the directory. I tried this by grabbing the suits, gloves, and helmets from one of the Ferrari F1 team folders and putting them into one other team folder- just to see if I get custom skins for the driver and team. Mission accomplished! However, I don't know if I want to go full-on with skins AND teams AND suits...

If you ever played "NASCAR Racing 2003 Season," you can actually edit the textures for your pit crew and the "war wagon." It just gives your created team a little extra personality. That's the same thing with Assetto Corsa. Only that in Assetto Corsa, unless you know where exactly the driver and crew textures you want to use, you could possibly edit the skin.ini to include your team and driver outfits. That is what I may do with my own team. The only exception would be in making unique team suits to compliment all of the different created skins. I only want to mostly do it for skins I create to represent my team. So I'm *officially* using my Audi R8 LMS 2016 skin as my "test" team for racing liveries and skins for my own team.

This has been a mostly technical post. I want to thank everyone who have helped contribute to my musings as well as offer guidance and assistance to my posts here and on the general discussion AC threads. Thank you so much.
This isn't a new thing. Race Department is full of bespoke modded team crew suits.

One omission from my previous post... I was auccessfully able to install a vehicle mod and be able to see it in Content Manager. I went with the Ginetta G55 GT4 mod. I didn't get the template for it, but I am pleased to add my first mod of any kind for Assetto Corsa.

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.

Latest Posts

Back